Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2018 6:03:34 PM EDT
But I owe them nothing.

Quick explanation:

Changed service from DirecTV in June 2017 to DirectvNOW.

Account is debited from bank account.

Originally had problems with them refusing to acknowledge that I returned equipment. Resolved when I provided a tracking number.

I have the last email showing payment received in full:

Dear Kashtin,

Thank you for your recent payment. For your records here are the details of your online transaction:

Received: 06/12/2017
Amount: $149.61
Bank account ending in:
View Quote
A few days later I get the Welcome to DirectvNow email:

DirectTV NOW
We're pumped that you joined DIRECTV NOW.
View Quote
So recently I had to get a credit card as local Enterprise Car Rental no longer rents cars with a debit card, even though I could buy the fucking car with my debit card. I checked my credit and it was showing a collection account with some fly by night collection agency. I disputed this shit with Equifax, Experian, and Trans Union. They all found in my favor and deleted the entry.

So what does collection agency do? THEY FUCKING SOLD THE ACCOUNT TO ANOTHER FUCKING COLLECTION AGENCY WHO PROMPTLY REPORTED IT TO ALL THREE CREDIT BUREAUS!!

So now I've started all over again.

Directv tells me once my account was turned over they no longer have any of those records.

DirectvNOW tells me they know nothing about it.

Collection agency tells me talk to Directv...OR SEND THEM MONEY.

Consumer Reports shows over 16,000 complaints for pretty much the same shit.

I'm pissed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Tell the collection agency to go fuck itself, and if they bug you one more time, you'll drag their sorry asses into court.

Better yet, get a lawyer to send them that letter.  It'll only cost you a few bucks to get a lawyer to do that,  usually.  Some will do it for free.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Contact state attorney general, send your evidence let them deal with it.

Then take Direct TV to small claims court for your trouble and hassle.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:12:42 PM EDT
[#3]
1: Tell the collection agency to get fucked.

2: Tell DirectTV to get fucked.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tell the collection agency to go fuck itself, and if they bug you one more time, you'll drag their sorry asses into court.

Better yet, get a lawyer to send them that letter.  It'll only cost you a few bucks to get a lawyer to do that,  usually.  Some will do it for free.
View Quote
I'd have told them that if they'd ever called, (nope), or sent a letter or bill, (again, nope).

I knew nothing until I checked my credit.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:26:29 PM EDT
[#5]
So what does collection agency do? THEY FUCKING SOLD THE ACCOUNT TO ANOTHER FUCKING COLLECTION AGENCY WHO PROMPTLY REPORTED IT TO ALL THREE CREDIT BUREAUS!!
View Quote
BTDT. Got a call from Citi (a card I no longer use) about a charge in N. Miami. Wasn't me, sent me a new card. Time passes. AT&T Uverse had a Miami account opened in my name (800 miles away). Started getting letters from a Jacksonville, FL collection agency. Thought I had them straightened out. A year passed. Collection agency #2 contacts me. Go thru the same rigmarole, finally get a letter acknowledging I'm not the culprit. As I recall, Citi agent said Miami is a hotbed of fraud. My credit file is now locked down.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

BTDT. Got a call from Citi (a card I no longer use) about a charge in N. Miami. Wasn't me, sent me a new card. Time passes. AT&T Uverse had a Miami account opened in my name (800 miles away). Started getting letters from a Jacksonville, FL collection agency. Thought I had them straightened out. A year passed. Collection agency #2 contacts me. Go thru the same rigmarole, finally get a letter acknowledging I'm not the culprit. As I recall, Citi agent said Miami is a hotbed of fraud. My credit file is now locked down.
View Quote
I seen't it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Send the Collection company a cease and desist letter by certified mail. Write payment on the outside of the envelope so they sign for it. Keep a copy for your records and proof of delivery.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
My fucking ass! Name an attorney that does anything for free like this unless you are a good customer?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I stopped paying for TV years ago. But in the past I've been screwed by Dish Network and Direct TV. One of them pulled money out of my account over non-returned equipment even though I dropped the stuff off the day after I got their boxes in the mail. Apparently it was my responsibility to box the shit up and return it on my dime when I noticed that their packaging didn't show up on time. They reimbursed me but it took 6 - 8 weeks. And I we were young and poor, so we had some bounced checks and stuff thanks to their bullcrap.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I had a problem with dtv.  They offered to up my package to include every channel for three months at a cost of 1c extra per month.  Okay

So i called at 10 weeks and told them to put me back to my regular package.

But they went ahead and billed me in advance for one month of all channels

Argued for maybe ten minutes and told them they can argue with my credit card

Called my credit card and told him I'm not paying for this and that was the last I heard of it

Then I cancelled
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Kodi and VPN?

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I seen't it.
View Quote
most of the major fraud in the US starts there and then they branch out.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Dick video chat is your friend.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
You should have paid them QUICKER LOL
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Kodi and VPN?

View Quote
YES!!

And borrowed DirecTV credentials from a friend. It's better than stringing a wire from the neighbors.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Send them a sextortion email.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Contact state attorney general, send your evidence let them deal with it.
View Quote
This, they should have a consumer fraud dept.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This them?

DIVERSIFIED CONSULTNTS
P O BOX 551268
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32255

If so, same motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm not sure where this falls on the scale of free market economics.

But I'm becoming more and more convinced it should be illegal to sell debt. If you make a loan, you must collect that loan. Debt shouldn't be considered an asset to be sold.
View Quote
Does that go for .gov debt?  Corporate debt?  Or just private debt?  Why do you hate capitalism?

Oh and 16,000 complaints and there isn’t a class action already underway?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#23]
AT&T did the same thing to me for an account that was paid in full and cancelled three months prior.

It took a few phone calls to fix and the people I spoke to were helpful and sympathetic, but that sort of thing goes beyond an honest mistake. It happens often and I wish someone would sue the shit out of these companies for selling debt that doesn't exist.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:49:05 PM EDT
[#24]
AT&T is the asshole of corporations! I hate them with a passion!

They are crooked and unethical, and if you call them on it they will tell you you are being nasty to them. Been there, never will again!
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Does that go for .gov debt?  Corporate debt?  Or just private debt?  Why do you hate capitalism?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Sorry, my mistake. Not Consumer Reports, ConsumerAffairs.

16215 DIRECTV Consumer Reviews and Complaints
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/cable_tv/directv.htm

An example:

Got a bill with a $ 270 early cancellation charge. Huh! We have been customers for nearly 30 years! No explanations. Rep would put us on hold to ask his/her supervisor. Always came back with sales/promo offer - no fix of bill. No explanation on how we - 30 year customer - could have an early cancellation charge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top