Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Omfg that's great. Will you sell complete lowers?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:42:41 PM EDT
[#3]
That looks really nice.

Another reason to buy a drill press I suppose.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#4]
So in.

You want some coffee?
It's a good idea.
Yeah.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Wow.

I suggested something, and it actually got made and offered for sale.

I’m kinda proud.  
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many people have to want one before PSA makes it happen?
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Really?  What do they end up costing?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks great. Thank you. Any chance of doing the Peace Talks/Have a Pepsi/Soul Finger markings after these are sold?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to watch this movie again after seeing this thread. And now I have to order one of you 80% lowers!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow.

I suggested something, and it actually got made and offered for sale.

I’m kinda proud.  
View Quote
You buying one?
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How many people have to want one before PSA makes it happen?
View Quote
Gun shop near me says they need a minimum order of 25 for custom engraving.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You buying one?
View Quote
Well I guess I kinda have to, now, don’t I?

I wish I had a clue as to how to finish an 80% lower...  And I wasn’t broke....  
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The sand hogs that dug it.
I worked on the part that runs from x to z.
View Quote
Dude,
you forgot to log out of your @MAYDAY account before you answered. SHHHH
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:30:11 PM EDT
[#16]
At what point did you plan to ask me if you could use the logo that I worked on to convert to vector, prior to you taking it and using it on your own product? I did not get a message or email of any sort from you or your company.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Mr. Tomato Head approves.

Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
At what point did you plan to ask me if you could use the logo that I worked on to convert to vector, prior to you taking it and using it on your own product? I did not get a message or email of any sort from you or your company.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Tagz
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't want to get involved in a dispute regarding the logo and who converted it and who milled it into a receiver or anything like that.

Warner Brothers owns all the rights to all the intellectual property relating to the movie Spies Like Us, including the Ace Tomato Company logo, and probably the phrase "GLG-20" as well.

So any dispute that you may have over who did what is all a moot point.  WB owns it, you don't.

Will they pursue a copyright claim?  I can't read minds or predict the future and doubt they are even aware of this topic.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, looks like I need to get a jig and shit.

Those a hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't want to get involved in a dispute regarding the logo and who converted it and who milled it into a receiver or anything like that.

Warner Brothers owns all the rights to all the intellectual property relating to the movie Spies Like Us, including the Ace Tomato Company logo, and probably the phrase "GLG-20" as well.

So any dispute that you may have over who did what is all a moot point.  WB owns it, you don't.

Will they pursue a copyright claim?  I can't read minds or predict the future and doubt they are even aware of this topic.
View Quote
What I wrote was not intended to infer I own the rights to a logo I did not originally design. Only, that if I went through the trouble of bit mapping a rough image, a simple request to use that image would have been appropriate. I was not aware of this thread until another member mentioned it on the PSA/ PFG thread. I was only trying to be helpful by working up the design. With that said, if someone had asked, I may have suggested waiting to see if PSA would pick up on the idea to make the lower first (the image was posted on that thread slightly prior to this one). While 80% lowers are good for some, lots of folks would prefer to have a lower ready made, especially at the price point PSA has been making those custom lowers available.

I do not really see an issue with lowers being made either way, I have always been a proponent of "more is more", when it comes to firearms. But there is also nothing wrong with being respectful of another's effort.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 7:17:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don’t think you can lay claim to something someone else came up with 30 years ago and you posted on a public forum without any kind of trademark or copyright claim. No offense
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What I wrote was not intended to infer I own the rights to a logo I did not originally design. Only, that if I went through the trouble of bit mapping a rough image, a simple request to use that image would have been appropriate. I was not aware of this thread until another member mentioned it on the PSA/ PFG thread. I was only trying to be helpful by working up the design. With that said, if someone had asked, I may have suggested waiting to see if PSA would pick up on the idea to make the lower first (the image was posted on that thread slightly prior to this one). While 80% lowers are good for some, lots of folks would prefer to have a lower ready made, especially at the price point PSA has been making those custom lowers available.

I do not really see an issue with lowers being made either way, I have always been a proponent of "more is more", when it comes to firearms. But there is also nothing wrong with being respectful of another's effort.
View Quote
Are you with PSA?  Id still prefer a PSA one honestly, so don't 'not do it' because someone else is doing on 80% lowers
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is why we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 1:16:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are you with PSA?  Id still prefer a PSA one honestly, so don't 'not do it' because someone else is doing on 80% lowers
View Quote
No sir, I am not with PSA. I have been assisting them in the design of custom lowers on the gremlin thread recently.  Using the converted file for personal use is one thing. I have help members that IM me about images in the past. But advertising it for sale with a link to make a buck is a little different. What you wrote is a concern for me as well. I couldn't say if PSA noticed the design for sale elsewhere, they would, or would not, be as inclined to make a PSA version (I do not make those decisions).

I am definitely not "laying claim" to the Ace Tomato Co. design, my stuff is usually original. Just that for going through the trouble of converting a file for someone to use it without even a "hey man, can I use this for profit", sort of sucks.

Lesson learned on my part.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:23:09 AM EDT
[#28]
So, uhm... @Unbranded-AR ...any chance you guys do do a blackbeard lower? I have a p80 receiver getting laser engraved right now that is going to get stippled and cerakoted with this design and more.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No sir, I am not with PSA. I have been assisting them in the design of custom lowers on the gremlin thread recently.  Using the converted file for personal use is one thing. I have help members that IM me about images in the past. But advertising it for sale with a link to make a buck is a little different. What you wrote is a concern for me as well. I couldn't say if PSA noticed the design for sale elsewhere, they would, or would not, be as inclined to make a PSA version (I do not make those decisions).

I am definitely not "laying claim" to the Ace Tomato Co. design, my stuff is usually original. Just that for going through the trouble of converting a file for someone to use it without even a "hey man, can I use this for profit", sort of sucks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pointed them to the Gremlin thread after asking if they would do 80%s using the artwork PSA had sourced from the forum. Their initial response seemed like they didn't want to infringe on PSAs artwork till I explained it was from here and not PSA. It may just be a misunderstanding, I know they haven't been watching the forum closely. I'm sure they'll understand if you reach out if they don't see this
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 2:51:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
here we go...
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:35:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Here is my suggestion that might soothe any ruffled feathers:

If Person A uses Person B's carefully made artwork as the source for engraving a receiver,  even with no copyright or IP rights in play,  then it would seem to me that the honest, polite, and ethical thing to do is for Person A to voluntarily give a fair royalty to Person B for every receiver and sold that is engraved with Person B's artwork.    It's what a nice person would do.

Maybe a buck, or two,  each?   Probably there's not enough money at stake to change anybody's life but it'd be a decent thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:39:39 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here is my suggestion that might soothe any ruffled feathers:

If Person A uses Person B's carefully made artwork as the source for engraving a receiver,  even with no copyright or IP rights in play,  then it would seem to me that the honest, polite, and ethical thing to do is for Person A to voluntarily give a fair royalty to Person B for every receiver and sold that is engraved with Person B's artwork.    It's what a nice person would do.

Maybe a buck, or two,  each?   Probably there's not enough money at stake to change anybody's life but it'd be a decent thing to do.
View Quote
So you're talking about Person A as Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:50:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Can we possibly buy these coated? I dont want to have a raw lower or get it finished
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:56:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Can we possibly buy these coated? I dont want to have a raw lower or get it finished
View Quote
Yeah I'd rather pay $10+ for ano rather than risk the money and hastle of diy. Especially cause ano keeps engravings crisp
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 3:59:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Peace Talks
Have a Pepsi
Soulfinger
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What would be good markings for the selector?
Peace Talks
Have a Pepsi
Soulfinger
You need orange afro in there somewhere.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 11:04:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I pointed them to the Gremlin thread after asking if they would do 80%s using the artwork PSA had sourced from the forum. Their initial response seemed like they didn't want to infringe on PSAs artwork till I explained it was from here and not PSA. It may just be a misunderstanding, I know they haven't been watching the forum closely. I'm sure they'll understand if you reach out if they don't see this
View Quote
Things happen. I wasn't very happy when I saw the work I did produced on a lower without something as simple as an IM. But another member on this thread is correct, I have no claim to a logo I did not originally design. It doesn't really matter if I took the time to bitmap it to black and white vector, or not. For me it was a matter of being polite or respectful of my time.

The other stuff on the Gremlin thread is original artwork, it is not open source. It has been designed for PSA only. Everything posted is first uploaded and linked to Photobucket, timestamped, and remains the artist property aside from PSA's agreed use. My mistake has been offering the designs I have worked up to view in B&W from the start. A low quality image like the Ace tomato logo looks simple, but will not vector well because it is so grainy, this takes a fair amount of time to convert for proper cutting. A clean B&W image on the other hand can be vectored in less than a minute flat.

That is why I wrote lesson learned earlier. It was my stupid for posting assuming this thread would roll the same as another. I love the idea of the Ace Tomato lower, I am hoping this does not kill it with PSA.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 10:13:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I tell you what then.  Since my graphic designer redrew the file that you redrew from the Ace Tomato Co. Facebook page, that they took from a movie still, that some prop guy painted at the direction of the movie company, I'll make you a deal.  I'll send you one of the lowers for free, or give you 1 percent of gross sales of this 80% lower, in store credit, for the remainder of the year.  Your choice.  Message me your address if you want one sent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things happen. I wasn't very happy when I saw the work I did produced on a lower without something as simple as an IM. But another member on this thread is correct, I have no claim to a logo I did not originally design. It doesn't really matter if I took the time to bitmap it to black and white vector, or not. For me it was a matter of being polite or respectful of my time.

The other stuff on the Gremlin thread is original artwork, it is not open source. It has been designed for PSA only. Everything posted is first uploaded and linked to Photobucket, timestamped, and remains the artist property aside from PSA's agreed use. My mistake has been offering the designs I have worked up to view in B&W from the start. A low quality image like the Ace tomato logo looks simple, but will not vector well because it is so grainy, this takes a fair amount of time to convert for proper cutting. A clean B&W image on the other hand can be vectored in less than a minute flat.

That is why I wrote lesson learned earlier. It was my stupid for posting assuming this thread would roll the same as another. I love the idea of the Ace Tomato lower, I am hoping this does not kill it with PSA.
I tell you what then.  Since my graphic designer redrew the file that you redrew from the Ace Tomato Co. Facebook page, that they took from a movie still, that some prop guy painted at the direction of the movie company, I'll make you a deal.  I'll send you one of the lowers for free, or give you 1 percent of gross sales of this 80% lower, in store credit, for the remainder of the year.  Your choice.  Message me your address if you want one sent.
I wasn’t looking for a “deal” sir, I was simply inquiring as to why you did not contact me first.

Your “graphic designer” may have vectored the work, but they did not redraw what I posted, it is the exact same image. A redraw would have caught and corrected the small but intentional differences between my bitmap and the original. Had you contacted me, I would have requested you wait until PSA made a decision on the lower first. If they passed, I would have welcomed working with you.

Please DO NOT use ANY image or artwork I have designed or worked on without permission first.

If you are sincere and want to make good on your offer, please send the 80% Tomato lower to DeltaElite777 (AKA Kickstand). It was his idea and request after all; we can both turn this into something positive.

I do thank you for your reply.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Unbranded’s 80% lower arrived yesterday (along with some bonus swag, thanks!).

Damn good folks here on Arfcom.

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:31:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Right now we are maxed on capacity.  We should have a machine that I can dedicate to low volume stuff in 6 weeks or so.  At that point we can revisit the idea.
View Quote
Revisit which idea?  The other selector markings, or finished lowers?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:57:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Awesome!  Would love a complete GLG 20 lower but with the Peace Talks/Have a Pepsi/Soul Finger markings.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What would be good markings for the selector?
View Quote
whole.

diced.

pureed.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We'll be set up to run complete forged lowers on a short run basis with pretty much any variation of selector markings, serial numbers, and logos.
View Quote
Cool.

I might request this design.

Attachment Attached File

When available.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top