Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF wouldn't you train the dogs on the mainland, then send them to the island?

Fucking DERP.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Snakes on a plane
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Quarantine?
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quarantine?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quarantine?
For what? A week?

BFD.

I'd wait the week versus the chance of some bullshit like... I dunno... introducing a dangerous invasive species that has the potential of causing great harm to a very beautiful place. The irony being that, if it happened, they would be causing the very thing that they are trying to prevent.

That kind of goes in the "NO FUCKING SHIT, SHERLOCK" category in my mind.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:36:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Something tells me we may already have a problem but this is the liberal way of making it ok.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I spent a couple years there when I was a kid. The story was that when they started growing pineapples they got a huge rodent problem... go figure. They tackled that problem by introducing snakes.That got the rat problem under control but guess what... too many damn snakes, so how about we try mongoose yeah mongoose. I here they’re trying to kill them off now. No snakes though, except for a couple in a zoo.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I spent a couple years there when I was a kid. The story was that when they started growing pineapples they got a huge rodent problem... go figure. They tackled that problem by introducing snakes.That got the rat problem under control but guess what... too many damn snakes, so how about we try mongoose yeah mongoose. I here they're trying to kill them off now. No snakes though, except for a couple in a zoo.
View Quote
Hawai'i has never had snakes, other than a small blind burrowing snake.  They introduced the mongooses to try to control the rats, not considering that the mongooses are diurnal while the rats are nocturnal, so they seldom meet.  Used to be funny as shit to watch a mongoose follow our dog as he did his business, the dog suspected SOMETHING was there, but the mongoose always froze when the dog looked back..
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:51:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The snakes have been sterilized.  Not sure what the perceived problem is.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nature.    Sort of like teenager on prom night.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:17:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Unbelievable that they'd take this risk. Have they ever heard of Guam?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:25:42 AM EDT
[#11]
When I moved to Hawaii, no matter what, the Quarantine on dogs was a minimum of 3 months and it was not easy on the dogs, lots of dogs expire during quarantine.

I am really surprised that they are going to import even sterile snakes, even a sterile snake would do damage to the Ne'Ne' population if it got loose.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:27:25 AM EDT
[#12]
This kind scares the shit out of me
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:35:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's 4 male snakes.  Each of which has been sterilized.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
They still got to eat, and if one by chance gets loose?
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 2:54:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something like 60 small animals will die.  Then the snake dies.  Maybe not even in that order.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:00:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Something like 60 small animals will die.  Then the snake dies.  Maybe not even in that order.
View Quote
60 small animals will die?  Have you ever been to Hawaii, do you understand the unique and very fragile nature of the indigenous species not found anywhere else in the world.  When I lived there, it was estimated that only 50 Ne'Ne' geese were alive in the world!

Just not a good idea.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:02:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm sure Maise Hirono accepts her relatives with open arms.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:06:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
This...
Some serious herpy deep going on in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:06:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Except these teenagers are...sterile...
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

60 small animals will die?  Have you ever been to Hawaii, do you understand the unique and very fragile nature of the indigenous species not found anywhere else in the world.  When I lived there, it was estimated that only 50 Ne'Ne' geese were alive in the world!

Just not a good idea.
View Quote
Somebody's stray cat poses a larger threat to those geese than this snake.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:10:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Somebody's stray cat poses a larger threat to those geese than this snake.
View Quote
Ever seen a large white domestic goose kick the shit out of a cat?  The Hawaiian goose is better, the cats don't fuck with them and the cats don't eat the eggs.

Between the rats and the mongoose, they have a big enough problem loosing eggs.

Rats, Mongoose and Cats don't go after the adult Geese, the problem is the eggs and the goslings, the Mongoose has just about wipe the Goose out and that was another one of the mistakes man has made in Hawaii, thinking they could import Mongoose to get rid of the Rats that came in on the sailing ships.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:19:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Ever seen a large white domestic goose kick the shit out of a cat?  The Hawaiian goose is better, the cats don't fuck with them and the cats don't eat the eggs.

Between the rats and the mongoose, they have a big enough problem loosing eggs.

Rats, Mongoose and Cats don't go after the adult Geese, the problem is the eggs and the goslings, the Mongoose has just about wipe the Goose out and that was another one of the mistakes man has made in Hawaii, thinking they could import Mongoose to get rid of the Rats that came in on the sailing ships.
View Quote
I have no doubt that the thousands of feral/domestic cats are far more of a threat to the population than 4 snakes that can never...ever reproduce.
A cat might not kill an adult but it have zero problem with a young goose.

Stop being hysterical.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have no doubt that the thousands of feral/domestic cats are far more of a threat to the population than 4 snakes that can never...ever reproduce.
A cat might not kill an adult but it have zero problem with a young goose.

Stop being hysterical.
View Quote
Not being hysterical at all, I am being realistic and only after I lived there and saw the effects of certain things.

Hell us hunters would not be out in the fall every year tracking down that Whitetail if they thought the same way in the early 1900's when the population of Whitetails had fallen so low, they figured they were going extinct, same with Elk.

It is not hysterics, it is reality.

Each Island has it own unique ecosystem and it also has its own unique set of problems, I would hate to see a situation where they bring the snakes there and then something go wrong, you have to remember snakes come in on the landing gear of airplanes from other parts of the world as well.  In this instance caution is prudent, especially when dealing with the government and scientists.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Four little castrated snakes today. Four radioactive lava spitting snakezilla monsters tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top