Page / 470
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Might have to fly in for this one
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
Hmmm, are the prototypes now being used as stills for a big party?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

When they do an IRL successful booster catch it's going to be a moment where reality itself changes significantly. Something that big able to shove hundreds of tons of payload into space. Day, after day, after day...

It's not outside the realm of possibility that it could throw up a constellation of sattelites that could reduce the amount of light hitting this planet from the sun.
View Quote

Just the audacity of it.  

The scale of it.

If they actually do it, and make the catch...it's a paradigm shift.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not outside the realm of possibility that it could throw up a constellation of sattelites that could reduce the amount of light hitting this planet from the sun.
View Quote

Sunlight as a Service (SaaS).  You heard it here first.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 10:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]

When they do an IRL successful booster catch it's going to be a moment where reality itself changes significantly. Something that big able to shove hundreds of tons of payload into space. Day, after day, after day...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RarestRX:
Those crazy SOBs are gonna try and do it.

I will absolutely lose my effin' mind if they catch the booster.

If they actually did that, and the earth cooled, the left would hate him even more for solving climate change.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Just the audacity of it.  

The scale of it.

https://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Starbase-101421-NASASpaceflight-bocachicagal-catch-arms-pin-1-c.jpg

View All Quotes

Just the audacity of it.  

The scale of it.

https://www.teslarati.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Starbase-101421-NASASpaceflight-bocachicagal-catch-arms-pin-1-c.jpg

Starship and the booster are the paradigm shift, not the catch.

There are versions of Starship that have to have landing legs so, if the catch doesn't work for whatever reason, they'll just use the landing leg design for all the Starships and the boosters.

It'll set them back some but it won't stop them.

I wish my brother had lived to see Starship. He'd told me since we watched the first moon landing that we'd get to reusable rockets and begin to colonize the solar system in our lifetime.

I never believed him, he was angry about the Apollo cancellation and the shuttle fiasco's, but he never lost faith.

I didn't keep up with this stuff back then, and had only vaguely heard of Space X, but when the Falcon 9 first landed he rushed up to see me and show me and tell me about it. He was so excited, he was like a little kid again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2024 11:06:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#7]
Originally Posted By BigGrumpyBear:

If they actually did that, and the earth cooled, the left would hate him even more for solving climate change.
View Quote

I know and if I know then he certainly knows. So he is probably going to take a whack at it. He probably has sketches on Starlink V3 or 4 with extra large solar panels. He is probably keeping it a secret until all angles can be considered and one day he can just put it on the table and say.

"Here you go. The solution to climate change."

I would say that the reason why he hasn't talked about it so far is probably because they will point and say in an incredibly annoying voice. "Simpsons did it!"

Or, "congratulations. You've gone full Bond villian."

The MECO Podcast recently did an interview with a guy from Redwire talking about a concept called Starcatcher that would provide abundant solar power in space. It sounded like the kind of thing that could make a moon base more practical. Perhaps it wouldn't need a fission reactor to be viable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't even care if they try for a catch at this point.  And I would doubt they do unless the new pad and tower could be constructed for the next launch for flight 6 in case it all goes bad.

They made great headway between the last two launches when looking at the data.  And  I am guessing SpaceX just wants to do their thing in rapid development of their ship...

Starship | Fourth Flight Test

Link Posted: 8/15/2024 7:17:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Just the audacity of it.  

The scale of it.
View Quote
If you haven't been to Starbase, you owe it to yourself to go see it with your own eyes.  I had watched many hours of videos of the ship, the booster, the tower, but there's no substitute for direct perception for something like this.  It's truly breathtaking.  Go as soon as you can.  There might come a day when there arises a need to keep people away.
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/15/2024 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Almost need a bigger crane.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 1:51:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#12]
The pace that SpaceX is keeping in both product development and manufacturing is almost beyond comprehension.

I mean, one would expect a year or two between test launches, they're doing it in a few weeks.

There have to be rocket engineers all over the world looking at those photos of the Raptor 3 engine with their mouths hanging open.

"At SpaceX, we specialize in converting things from impossible to late."
ETA
"it's still super crazy".... reminds me of passages from The Making Of The Atomic Bomb where the physics guys in the 30s and 40s basically said the same thing. That if it wasn't crazy enough, you should work on it more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 2:23:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:
The pace that SpaceX is keeping in both product development and manufacturing is almost beyond comprehension.

I mean, one would expect a year or two between test launches, they're doing it in a few weeks.

There have to be rocket engineers all over the world looking at those photos of the Raptor 3 engine with their mouths hanging open.

View Quote

They have an odd way of doing things at SpaceX. A lot of it comes down to Musk's... Personality, but there's a bunch of other factors as well. I've been looking into other new space companies and while clearly a lot of them are trying to replicate what SpaceX is doing. Its just not something that can be copied no matter how much venture capital is pumped in.

For a giggle it might be fun to see how things are done at Astra. The guy in charge over there seems pretty wacko . He ate lead paint chips on camera while he was showing off his new rocket factory.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 2:40:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

now with Community Notes.

https://i.imgur.com/1raKTAk.png
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Originally Posted By Cobradriver:
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GUfjgeBWQAAuIAB?format=jpg&name=large

Eat shit Tory

https://i.imgur.com/AC4XQSw.png

Holy fuckin shit !!!!!

I love this timeline.

Is that an actual tweet from Bruno,and not some fake bullshit?

If so, I agree with the "holy shit" and lols.

now with Community Notes.

https://i.imgur.com/1raKTAk.png

He does seem like a good guy but ULA is having issues (though finding good technical staff is an issue everywhere):

Pentagon’s top rocket launcher is behind profit goals and losing staff

Need to get that Vulcan rocket going.

(as for him as a engineer, I remember that Smarter Everyday video of him and his factory. Taking huge sheets of aluminum, machining in ribs and rolling them into barrel sections - very cutting edge manufacturing but he still was saying it's not worth it to recover rockets when the proof has been staring them in the face for years now)
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 3:48:55 AM EDT
[#15]
They have an odd way of doing things at SpaceX. A lot of it comes down to Musk's... Personality, but there's a bunch of other factors as well.
View Quote

It's like a return to the "let er rip" mentality from the 50s-60s, but with all the analysis and planning of the years since. The analysis without the paralysis. Combination of creative thinking, very high powered computing likely with a lot of AI helping things along, and pushing the technological boundaries of fabrication/manufacturing. All of it is possible, as you say, because of Musk and his knack for organization building.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#16]
"The difficult we do right away. The impossible takes a little longer."
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#17]

ETA
"it's still super crazy".... reminds me of passages from The Making Of The Atomic Bomb where the physics guys in the 30s and 40s basically said the same thing. That if it wasn't crazy enough, you should work on it more.
View Quote

I can't believe the booster is 250 tons dry...that's....crazy.

How is it that heavy?

It's a big empty metal can at that point.

My brain hurts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#18]

How is it that heavy?

My brain hurts.
View All Quotes

ETA

How is it that heavy?

My brain hurts.

An empty semi is 15ish and an empty railcar is 40-50 of the top of my head.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 1:55:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#19]

How is it that heavy?

My brain hurts.
View Quote

Booster has 33 Raptor engines that weigh over a ton each on top of the weight of the "big empty metal can".

PS: Per Wikipedia.
Dry mass
Raptor 1: 2,080 kg (4,590 lb)
Raptor 2: 1,630 kg (3,590 lb)
Raptor 3: 1,525 kg (3,362 lb)

33 x Raptor 1 engines dry weight is around 75 tons if my math is right.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

ETA

How is it that heavy?

My brain hurts.

The empty weight of a 20' cargo container is 2.5 tons.

If you made a stack that fit inside the volume of the booster you'd have 3 containers per level, 27 containers tall, for a weight of 200+ tons.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#21]

How is it that heavy?

My brain hurts.
View Quote
When fueled the booster weighs in at 3750-ish tons. So, the empty weight is about 7% of launch weight.
An empty Coke can is about 4% of the weight of a full one.
All things are relative.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#22]

How is it that heavy?

My brain hurts.
View Quote

It's just actually that big. I'm reeeealllly hoping I can make it to the next launch. Scheduling was a problem on the 4th launch especially not being sure if they'd actually launch as scheduled. They need to launch on Fridays with Saturdays as fallbacks.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 4:15:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Cpn_Ron:

It's just actually that big. I'm reeeealllly hoping I can make it to the next launch. Scheduling was a problem on the 4th launch especially not being sure if they'd actually launch as scheduled. They need to launch on Fridays with Saturdays as fallbacks.
View Quote

That's a fun thing about Starship. It doesn't seem to scrub nearly as often as most brand new rockets. Heck, it doesn't scrub as often as Delta IV at the peak of it's usefulness.
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Is the arm movement real time or sped up? If that is real time, a catch seems more doable.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Seems a bit...awkward.  I guess we'll see how it goes.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 8:58:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hadrian:
Seems a bit...awkward.  I guess we'll see how it goes.  
View Quote
Yeah, I believe  that is why Elon said the next towers chopsticks will be shorter so they move faster.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By 7:
Yeah, I believe  that is why Elon said the next towers chopsticks will be shorter so they move faster.
View Quote

If they can hold a steady hover the chopsticks can move slower and more smoothly to reach the position.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#29]
What is going on with the csnbc mercury scare?

Will they still be able to launch this next starship or is everything on hold until the epa or someone reviews the data?
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By shooter_gregg:
Is the arm movement real time or sped up? If that is real time, a catch seems more doable.
View Quote

Just noticed top right of that video shows 3x when it starts playing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 3:35:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:

It was fake news.  Was no mercury problem.
View Quote

Yes, I realize that.  I don't think that cnbc has thrown in the towel though, neither the epa nor the Texas water quality people have told them to shut up and sit down, and I think the townhall discussions are still cancelled until further notice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:43:34 PM EDT
[#35]
If you haven't been to Starbase, you owe it to yourself to go see it with your own eyes.  I had watched many hours of videos of the ship, the booster, the tower, but there's no substitute for direct perception for something like this.  It's truly breathtaking.  Go as soon as you can.  There might come a day when there arises a need to keep people away.
View All Quotes

Just the audacity of it.  

The scale of it.

worth repeating - go if / when you can.

I made the trip earlier this year and as stated above - pictures videos and anything else just dont do it justice. the operation, the facilities and everything they build down there is just so massively huge.
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/19/2024 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/20/2024 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#39]

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#40]
The second Mechazilla now has a beak.
Just needz its T-rex arms.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Well, I suppose this means if they screw up the booster catch it won't bring everything to a screeching halt for many, many months.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, I suppose this means if they screw up the booster catch it won't bring everything to a screeching halt for many, many months.
View Quote

Words of wisdom I learned from this forum:

One is None, Two is One.

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#43]
That's a huge operation now. Crazy a few years ago they were welding up hopper in an empty parking lot.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
That's a huge operation now. Crazy a few years ago they were welding up hopper in an empty parking lot.
View Quote
I don't think its any different from the first space race, say from 1959 to 1965ish.  Starting from nothing to Gemini.   Its just that we all are following this more closely since we have real time information.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:45:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By 7:
I don't think its any different from the first space race, say from 1959 to 1965ish.  Starting from nothing to Gemini.   Its just that we all are following this more closely since we have real time information.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 7:

There are a few big differences. The biggest one is that many technologies are significantly better than they were back then. We have all probably seen memes about the miniscule amount of computing power that took man to the moon the first time. But they didn't use such crude computers just to show off.

I imagine at least some of those old astronauts and engineers would like to have had millions of people around the world watching live streams of their work. They damn sure would have appreciated Starships capability to live stream through re entry. Something that has never been done before.
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#46]
View Quote

Just have to look at page 1 to see how far they've come.

Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#47]
Originally Posted By DarkGray:

Just have to look at page 1 to see how far they've come.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DvKmsU1V4AE9Xqr.jpg
View Quote

I admit, the first time I saw that I thought they were nuts. They have gone some distance from there.

Starship | Fourth Flight Test
Link Posted: 8/21/2024 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#48]

Unlikel SLS, I believe STARSHIP/BFR will actually fly ... and I cannot wait to see it!  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
Starship/BFR will be the largest, most powerful rocket ever built

Unlikel SLS, I believe STARSHIP/BFR will actually fly ... and I cannot wait to see it!  

Crazy when you realize this thread is 5.75 years old and yet FPNI.
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 9:15:23 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/22/2024 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#50]
good pic of it

Page / 470
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top