Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:19:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some how, this is part of global warming.
View Quote
And more taxes to funnel to third world shitholes that don't give a damn about it will fix it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It's just an air bubble from the loss of magma from all those volcanoes barf'n up.  It'll take a few decades or so to melt down more material and level-off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Kind of makes you wonder how they were driving around without a windshield and dashboard to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:24:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Page 3 of the crisis and still no sticky.

MODS!!!!! Customers need assistance in thread 76655621...
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:29:45 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL.

Geologists can barely predict conditions just a few miles below the surface, let alone decipher the fluid dynamics around the core.

"Oh the noes, we have to update our model after 4 years instead of 5!"
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]
If climate change is responsible for volcanoes and islamic terror, surely its the cause of this too.

I remember some of the wacky prepper TV dealt w/ people preparing for a polar shift.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Apparently the CIA makes a habit of classifying-away polar shift works....

The Next End of the World | C.I.A. Classified

https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/document/cia-rdp79b00752a000300070001-8
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Can we add more shortening to the earthcrust and make it flakier?
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Birds are theropod dinosaurs
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
poles have shifted many times in the earths history. We are due to for one- actually way past due.

The biggest impact of such even would be electronics with EMP type effects and increase of skin cancer. It would devastate the military around the world for sure and any GPS technology.

Seeing how paleontologist think the dinosaurs share a lot with today's birds...i wonder
Birds are theropod dinosaurs
That's why they are assholes.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Worse than y2k
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
LOL.

Geologists can barely predict conditions just a few miles below the surface, let alone decipher the fluid dynamics around the core.

"Oh the noes, we have to update our model after 4 years instead of 5!"
View Quote
I really think no one really knows what's inside this Earth.. .
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Page 3 and nobody has said how we learned of this.

During WW2, we were mapping the undersea to have better maps for our submarines, and found a rift ridge that had equidistant ridges and valleys that were found to be about 200,000 year increments. You can probably find a graphic that shows this in black and white bands, with a gogle search.

It’s a real thing, and we are way overdue for the next reversal.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:50:59 PM EDT
[#14]
call me when a large group of people in a small area drop dead from pace maker failure.

Jay
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Russia is winning the tug-o-war for the north pole.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The weight of the ice compresses the crust down.  When I was stationed in NY in the 80's, we were hit with a strong earthquake.  They said the cause of earth quakes there was the earth still rebounding from the two mile thick ice covering the region during the last glacial period of the current ice age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh,  the ice isnt on the crust,  the pole isnt physically moving,  the pole wont melt.
The weight of the ice compresses the crust down.  When I was stationed in NY in the 80's, we were hit with a strong earthquake.  They said the cause of earth quakes there was the earth still rebounding from the two mile thick ice covering the region during the last glacial period of the current ice age.
FIFY
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]
This is the real reason second lieutenants get lost... They're still using a 1970's map of Columbus with an inaccurate magnetic declination.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:16:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 6:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
This is a potential calamity greater than anything in the history of everything and we can't even get a little whirly flashing red emoji
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The poles have flipped millions of times. They have known this for a long ass time. What the fuck is the problem? Why are they acting so surprised?
View Quote
This. The historical orientation of the magnetic poles are recorded in oceanic basalts as they spread away from mid-ocean ridges. Kind of like a tape recording. Another flip of the poles is inevitable; I've always wondered (hoped?) if it would happen during my lifetime.

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:05:01 PM EDT
[#22]
ALL is LOST.......

watching the earths final days would be epic
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#23]
I stopped reading here

Update, 9 January: The release of the World Magnetic Model has been postponed to 30 January due to the ongoing US government shutdown.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Read a couple pole shift scenarios...and its scary.
View Quote
Do you think they’d publish any scenario that wasn’t “scary”.
They want you to fear the sky is falling.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Straight from National Geographic.com:

Based on the magnetic fingerprints locked into ancient rocks, we know that over the last 20 million years, magnetic north and south have flipped roughly every 200,000 to 300,000 years (this rate has not been constant over the planet’s lifetime, though). The last of these major reversals occurred about 780,000 years ago, although the Poles do wander around in between these larger flips. (What’s more, climate change seems to be shifting Earth’s geographic poles.)

So there we go. I guess man-made polar flipping is settled science now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:12:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I stopped reading here

Update, 9 January: The release of the World Magnetic Model has been postponed to 30 January due to the ongoing US government shutdown.
View Quote
Exactly.

Coincidence?

I think not.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#27]
So, just more scientists who are shocked that aspects of the earth are constantly changing

The world isn’t a vacuum, it’s evolved over millions of years, with or without humans
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Earth Catastrophe Cycle | Good Questions
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Let me be clear. I was for the poles shifting before I was against it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The geologic evidence is quite clear. The poles have "flip-flopped", many times. It takes several hundred years.
Let me be clear. I was for the poles shifting before I was against it.
Meh.  It won’t be hard to find if it moves.  Shouldn’t be I mean.  It’s red and white striped like a candy cane, right?  Isn’t it?!

I should go buy a compass.......
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Ah. pole shifts.

I'm okay with magnetic pole movement or reversal.  The kind of pole flip in which the planet resembles a gyroscope tumbling?  Not so much.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Can we add more shortening to the earthcrust and make it flakier?
View Quote
Butter and Bisquick
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:16:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Having the crust of the Earth eaten away by erosion from the molten inside is the real reason for global warming.

But shhh.  People would panic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Global warming.
Yep.  Hotter = less viscous = it moves around faster.  
Having the crust of the Earth eaten away by erosion from the molten inside is the real reason for global warming.

But shhh.  People would panic.
Geothermal activity actually does vary a lot over time, and it actually does contribute to climate change, especially when it's geothermal venting under sea ice (changes albedo as it melts).  Guess where there is a lot of geothermal activity in recent years?  Under the ice in the Arctic Circle, but also some around Antarctica.

But anyhow, of course we don't know why the poles are shifting, and why they reverse.  All we really have is conjecture, because we simply don't know much about what lies under earth's crust, and probably never will.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:23:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Russia is winning the tug-o-war for the north pole.
View Quote
The Muller panel will find that Trump is to blame for this.  
That Cohen jack off will testify he helped Trump do this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Also, the Sun appears to be entering into a Maunder minimum with few flares or sunspots.  Which also means fewer solar storms/CME's. So it could be a perfect time for a flip anyway.
View Quote
Dammit, would you people stop referring to all Grand Solar Minimums as Maunder!?!  Maunder Minimum was one period of time, not a name for all extended solar minimums.  And we have decided to call the new one "the Gore Minimum".
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#36]
In before the pole
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Without reading 3 pages, isn't this actually a thing?...the possible global warming and earth's core deal, I mean?

I've been reading some decent science backed articles for awhile now that a good deal of the melting of the ice caps and ocean temps isn't coming from the atmosphere as much as it may be coming from overactive geothermal events.  If I read right, it seems the earth's core has been very active, under the ocean and under land, and it is venting more heat and gases.

I even saw some comments from the left that this "theory" if true would only prove than man's mining and oil drilling are probably the cause of such activity.  Of course that ridiculous suggestion was poo-poo'd by the fact that those man-involved activities don't even reach or have any serious capacity to disrupt the earth's core events.

I'm no scientist, but from what I've read this activity is somewhat normal.  The earth is a changing, evolving entity, no matter how much the whining nutbags on the left try to blame everything on man.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's why they are assholes.
View Quote
Well if all your cousins got wiped out and mammals took over the neighborhood you'd be an asshole too
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]
The polar shift is happening
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Nine Inch Nails - The Beginning Of The End
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:01:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Hollywood will save us all.

IE kill hollywood and every idol.  Fuck em all.  Let us loose...

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm going just go ahead and declare it.

It's the end of the world.

You heard it here first!
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:10:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The Earth is warming from the inside, due to friction from the rapidly spinning iron core.  It's also the reason for the increased volcanic action, as the centrifugal force pushes the molten iron to the surface.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:17:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I really think no one really knows what's inside this Earth.. .
View Quote
Jules Vern told us

Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Trump's fault?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-00007-1

Something strange is going on at the top of the world. Earth's north magnetic pole has been skittering away from Canada and towards Siberia, driven by liquid iron sloshing within the planet's core. The magnetic pole is moving so quickly that it has forced the world's geomagnetism experts into a rare move.

On 15 January, they are set to update the World Magnetic Model, which describes the planet's magnetic field and underlies all modern navigation, from the systems that steer ships at sea to Google Maps on smartphones.

The most recent version of the model came out in 2015 and was supposed to last until 2020  but the magnetic field is changing so rapidly that researchers have to fix the model now. "The error is increasing all the time," says Arnaud Chulliat, a geomagnetist at the University of Colorado Boulder and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA's) National Centers for Environmental Information.

The problem lies partly with the moving pole and partly with other shifts deep within the planet. Liquid churning in Earth's core generates most of the magnetic field, which varies over time as the deep flows change. In 2016, for instance, part of the magnetic field temporarily accelerated deep under northern South America and the eastern Pacific Ocean. Satellites such as the European Space Agency's Swarm mission tracked the shift.
View Quote
Damn.

Time for new declination tables huh?

It's also overdue to disappear and do a flop of poles.  If you think cancer is bad now, just wait til the magnetic field is basically gone for 100 years.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The Earth is warming from the inside, due to friction from the rapidly spinning iron core.  It's also the reason for the increased volcanic action, as the centrifugal force pushes the molten iron to the surface.
View Quote
Half of earth's core heat is left over from compression during its formation. The other half is from radioactive decay.

Just about none of it is due to friction.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Paging Jeff Goldblum to the red disaster phone
View Quote
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top