Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty neat I suppose, this would make a good alternative to something like an old 336 in .35 Rem.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1:16 Twist on those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@CMMG, what twist are the barrels you're using?
1:16 Twist on those.
That will not stabilize the 265 grain subsonics. Need a 1:10 twist or so.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Our testing has been limited to only the 16" barrels at this time. Mags, barrels, upper groups and rifles will be released at the same time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any data on short barrel performance. Also will you be selling the barrels and mags separate by March/April?
Our testing has been limited to only the 16" barrels at this time. Mags, barrels, upper groups and rifles will be released at the same time.
Fair enough.

Gas system and thread pitch?

Oh and considering use of 16" Winchester has 20" load data.

Is this going to be very dependant on barrel length or were your results close to theirs?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:  Our testing has been limited to only the 16" barrels at this time. Mags, barrels, upper groups and rifles will be released at the same time.
View Quote
These will be cataloged under your Reformation line?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Any data on short barrel performance. Also will you be selling the barrels and mags separate by March/April?
CMMG,

I won't ask for a response to this because I understand PR and corporate communications have certain complications. That said...

If you are testing this cartridge in shorter barrels, but you're tactfully lying to us to keep it under wraps, we understand.

If you really aren't testing this in shorter barrels, you're doing it wrong.

I see you have "Banshee" models in .308 and .458SOCOM, so I'm going to assume you're tactfully lying to us.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:23:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can't remember where I saw it but I read this headspaces on the case mouth. The crimp is a concern. If the tool could be made cost effectively a crimp in the neck like on military .303 British would work.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/hatchfive.wordpress.com/2017/09/20/mk-vii-303-rounds/amp/
View Quote
I meant case mouth
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn't see this posted so far in this thread:

Winchester has a product page with 265-grain Super Suppressed subsonic loads.

https://winchester.com/350-Legend

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:50:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That will not stabilize the 265 grain subsonics. Need a 1:10 twist or so.
View Quote
16" does seen slightly too slow.  1 in 12 would work.  1 in 14 might depending on the bullet.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
This will have a carbine gas system and the 1/2-28 (9mm).
Our testing with the 16" was within 100fps or less than the numbers they are reporting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough.

Gas system and thread pitch?

Oh and considering use of 16" Winchester has 20" load data.

Is this going to be very dependant on barrel length or were your results close to theirs?
This will have a carbine gas system and the 1/2-28 (9mm).
Our testing with the 16" was within 100fps or less than the numbers they are reporting.
I'm definitely liking the sound of that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 2:18:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

https://winchester.com/LandingPage/images/super-surpressed/front-view.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I find this cross section of the subsonic 265gr cartridge amusing.

Link Posted: 1/24/2019 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I find this cross section of the subsonic 265gr cartridge amusing.

https://wdm2.blob.core.windows.net/winchester/features/feature-350-legend---super-suppressed-image.png
View Quote
Why?  It uses a burst disk for a hi lo system
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:01:22 PM EDT
[#17]
This would probably be the only way I'd buy another Mini-14 should Ruger chamber them in the 350.  A modern day M-1 Carbine heir with the bite to be a real short range defense carbine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m trying to figure out what my go criteria is on this.

Things I think I would need to see first:
-Reloading dies from RCBS or Hornady
-A short barrel upper
-Documented performance from short barrels
-A factory load with good expansion and overall terminal ballistics at subsonic velocity
-Quality mags of decent capacity

If I get an upper, I’m probably going to end up with something manually cycled, too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Looking good so far, at least from a hunting perspective.

My oldest will be 12 next year which is old enough to hunt here in Utah. He recently expressed interest in finishing up his AR lower that I bought him a couple years ago.

I may just kill 2 birds with 1 stone and snag an upper in 350 Legend and a few mags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:27:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What sucks is the 1.7" case length. I have a .357 AR Maximum. Similar but 1.6" case. Got excited that there might suddenly be factory ammo.
View Quote
It would have been better if they adopted the .357AR Max and got it SAAMI approved, but Winchester probably wanted everything to be proprietary.

I'm curious if they'll ever acknowledge the previous work put into this concept by Moleman and MDWS.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It would have been better if they adopted the .357AR Max and got it SAAMI approved, but Winchester probably wanted everything to be proprietary.

I'm curious if they'll ever acknowledge the previous work put into this concept by Moleman and MDWS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What sucks is the 1.7" case length. I have a .357 AR Maximum. Similar but 1.6" case. Got excited that there might suddenly be factory ammo.

Why should they?
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:05:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’m trying to figure out what my go criteria is on this.

Things I think I would need to see first:
-Reloading dies from RCBS or Hornady
-A short barrel upper
-Documented performance from short barrels
-A factory load with good expansion and overall terminal ballistics at subsonic velocity
-Quality mags of decent capacity

If I get an upper, I’m probably going to end up with something manually cycled, too.
View Quote
Yep. I want to know if it has equal or better performance out of a 8" barrel before I would ditch .300blk for this. If it does, I would.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yep. I want to know if it has equal or better performance out of a 8" barrel before I would ditch .300blk for this. If it does, I would.
View Quote
If we use 357 ballistics as an example there will likely be a loss of at least 300fps between 20" to 8"
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 10:40:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm anxious to shoot mine. It has been a long process. Need to ream case necks, load and decide on an optic.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:53:42 PM EDT
[#26]
If someone snags a CMMG before the end of March and wants to test w/ a UniMag, PM me & I'll loan it you.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This would probably be the only way I'd buy another Mini-14 should Ruger chamber them in the 350.  A modern day M-1 Carbine heir with the bite to be a real short range defense carbine.
View Quote

My body and pocketbook are ready!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Dumb question here fellas....

Would a .30 cal suppressor work for this round?

If not-what size suppressor would be necessary?

Bonus question-how does this compare to 300blk on ballistics?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:15:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
A .30 cal suppressor is not going to work. This cartridge shoots .357 projectiles.

You’re going to be looking at 9mm and .45 cans that can handle greater pressure levels than typical pistol loads.

The .300blk will have better external (flight) ballistics, but this should completely dominate the terminal ballistics of .300blk in both subsonic and supersonic applications.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:19:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
A .30 cal suppressor is not going to work. This cartridge shoots .357 projectiles.

You’re going to be looking at 9mm and .45 cans that can handle greater pressure levels than typical pistol loads.

The .300blk will have better external (flight) ballistics, but this should completely dominate the terminal ballistics of .300blk in both subsonic and supersonic applications.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Thank you sir.  Good post.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:26:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some apples to bananas comparisons there. Plus missing data.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

In subsonic loads the heavier bullet pretty much always has better ballistics, because it will generally retain its velocity longer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:18:45 AM EDT
[#33]
I like the idea and potential

im interested
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#34]
is this proprietary or SAAMI approved?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'll have to run QuickLoad using 357 Maximum to approximate when I get home - but I wonder how much higher the pressure at the muzzle really is  for a 350 Legend versus a 147 grain +P 9mm load from a pistol barrel.

I have an 8" Form 1 can bored for 9mm and set up without a booster for a PCC that I'd be hoping to use for 350 Legend. I got a 1/2-28 9mm PCC barrel (a somewhat uncommon thread) and a 1/2-28 Griffin Minimalist .30cal brake and bored it for 9mm. We'll have to see if any can manufacturers come out with a taper mount system with compatible threads for the Legend. My guess is there may be none initially, as none of the larger companies with popular mounting systems offer 9mm taper-mount cans that I can think of right now.

The only one I can think of is the Griffin Hammer Comp for it's taper mount, but it isn't available in the finer and more common 1/2-32 and 1/2-36 9mm threads, which sounds like will be used on the first 350 Legend barrels.

I guess I'll have to get a custom barrel (X-Caliber maybe?) with 1/2-28 threads and use the Griffin Hammer Comp, or hope that someone brings out a system that offers a taper mount .357 muzzle device with finer threads.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They need to do the same thing for big frame guns in .45.
View Quote
45 Raptor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 6:18:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

45 Raptor.
View Quote
Yes. That is an interesting cartridge.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:22:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
I called for a reamer and was told they are waiting on this.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pacific Tool & Gauge 350 Legend (SAAMI) Chamber Reamer

Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Will I still be able to grenade my AR by trying to shoot these rounds in it? If I cant have an ammo related kaboom due to trying to fire it in my standard AR I'm not interested!
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Will I still be able to grenade my AR by trying to shoot these rounds in it? If I cant have an ammo related kaboom due to trying to fire it in my standard AR I'm not interested!
View Quote
No matter how idiot proof you make something there is always a sufficiently motivated idiot to overcome the design.

So how motivated are you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 8:41:03 PM EDT
[#42]
After thinking about this cartridge for a few day I have come to the conclusion that I’m genuinely excited for this. I have thought a lot of the nonstandard AR cartridges were cool and interesting but none of them had me wanting to open my wallet.

This is the largest bullet at the lowest cost to come to market. The .450 bushmaster is nice but in an AR it’s expensive. The 6.5 Grendel kicks ass but not deer hunting legal in my state.

I just have to decide if I will swap a barrel in one of my 5.56 builds or if I will buy a complete upper to put on my orphaned lower.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:17:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.net/171658/4332226/350%20Legend%20chamber%20reamer..jpg
It was Manson reamers I talked to last week dang it I could be working on one sooner with a PTG reamer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It was Manson reamers I talked to last week dang it I could be working on one sooner with a PTG reamer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://d28lcup14p4e72.cloudfront.net/171658/4332226/350%20Legend%20chamber%20reamer..jpg
Have you ordered from PTG before?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes Sir
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Does it still take Varget?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:16:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hit the bolt override harder, you'll get there
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
After thinking about this cartridge for a few day I have come to the conclusion that I’m genuinely excited for this. I have thought a lot of the nonstandard AR cartridges were cool and interesting but none of them had me wanting to open my wallet.

This is the largest bullet at the lowest cost to come to market. The .450 bushmaster is nice but in an AR it’s expensive. The 6.5 Grendel kicks ass but not deer hunting legal in my state.

I just have to decide if I will swap a barrel in one of my 5.56 builds or if I will buy a complete upper to put on my orphaned lower.
View Quote
I'm of a similar mind. Soon I'm likely to divest of all centerfire rifles that don't fit into a standard ar-15 form factor. I had been looking at the .45 options for bigger bore close range. But this honestly fills the role better for me.

I might still pick up Grendel though, but I don't think it's happening soon.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I like the 357 angle, hope this can generate some more heavy 357 compatable bullets.  I have Hornady's 2 200gr 358's, but they really are not 357 compatable due to shape.  I have Penn's 235, but it is undersized for my rifle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#50]
NEW CMMG 350 Legend AR-15 Revealed at SHOT Show 2019
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top