Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depends on market circumstances when it was signed, and how much bigger the job could get was hinted at by Amazon.

Look at the cities giving the store away for HQ2. Business fundamentals (not a thing with politicians anyway) go out the window.

Trump won, the economy took off and suddenly NEMF can't find or afford drivers to meet new demand.
View Quote
At the costs they accepted in a contract that didnt allow for changing market conditions.

I mean seriously...
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Prime is about to go up another $20!
View Quote
Haha

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Someone should tell all those fired HuffPo bloggers to “learn to code CDL.”
View Quote
Great, a bunch more non backing up female drivers
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think the daughter of the owner was boinking Paul McCartney. Not the circle-walker. His next babe.
View Quote
Her name is Nancy shevel,  and they are married .

I worked for them , bunch of ass holes !!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I worked for a company in the past that did a similar stunt to get a contract with Bank of America. We could claim them as a customer and lost money on the whole thing for 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any deal with Amazon is a deal with the devil

Good thing this website is hosted with them
View Quote
This is a AWS site?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Customer concentration risk is a thing.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Amazon could buy the outfit, but since dick pix Bezos is such a tightwad, he'll farm it out to indies. The local delivery rrucks around my parts are clapped out Sprinters piloted by sketchy characters. Lowest possible cost delivery. If Prime starts missing their delivery promises, could be ripe for a big class action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like it was their own doing signing on with Amazon at rates that were not sustainable.  I know several folks who won't go anywhere near a Amazon Prime trailer.
Amazon could buy the outfit, but since dick pix Bezos is such a tightwad, he'll farm it out to indies. The local delivery rrucks around my parts are clapped out Sprinters piloted by sketchy characters. Lowest possible cost delivery. If Prime starts missing their delivery promises, could be ripe for a big class action.
Plenty of 'Amazon drivers ' have very sketchy pasts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

people would be shocked how many times this happens.  "Fuck those lawyers, I'm not paying them $1000 to read a $10M bet-the-company contract!"  Then when the lawyers say, "you fucked up, you should have run this by me first," the CEO whines about "make it go away, Nice Lawyer!!"  Then when the lawyer says "it's a rock-solid contract, you fucked up by signing it, I cannot make this go away," the CEO somehow tries to make that the lawyer's fault.
View Quote
Yup.  In the grand scheme of things, lawyers are downright cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Playing devils advocate, isn't it easy to blame amazon and using any excuse for bankruptcy protection?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Her name is Nancy shevel,  and they are married .

I worked for them , bunch of ass holes !!
View Quote
High school:

After possible rebuilding...

Curtsying? Pooping? Not sure...

Probably drove the company to the edge buying shoes, then Amazon finished the job...
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:18:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Better to rely on pennies and nickels from a lot of customers - than dollars from just one or two.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:22:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Better to rely on pennies and nickels from a lot of customers - than dollars from just one or two.
View Quote
This. Diversify your customer base so no one customer can take you down.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

people would be shocked how many times this happens.  "Fuck those lawyers, I'm not paying them $1000 to read a $10M bet-the-company contract!"  Then when the lawyers say, "you fucked up, you should have run this by me first," the CEO whines about "make it go away, Nice Lawyer!!"  Then when the lawyer says "it's a rock-solid contract, you fucked up by signing it, I cannot make this go away," the CEO somehow tries to make that the lawyer's fault.
View Quote
I once had a boss who liked to say "never ask an attorney how to do something, tell them what you are going to do and make them find a way to make it work". You can imagine how that all worked out for him. And, yes, he blamed the fuck out of the lawyers when it all blew up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
From the actual link, it appears it is going to shit down.
View Quote
I can't believe it took that many posts for someone to call it out.

Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This is some bizarro world stuff.  If supply in that market is so tight, shouldn't NEMF have been in the proverbial driver seat to charge prices that reflect it?

It makes absolutely no sense for a company to lose money and go under in a market where there is more demand for their product than the market can supply.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
While industry watchers knew NEMF was having problems, no one had anticipated a bankruptcy filing and a subsequent shutdown. What’s more, LTL capacity is currently so tight that it will be impossible to efficiently absorb all of NEMF’s volumes at prices that shippers have been accustomed to, said Satish Jindel, who heads consultancy ShipMatrix and is familiar with NEMF’s operations.  “There isn’t enough supply in the market to handle this,” he said in an interview late today.
This is some bizarro world stuff.  If supply in that market is so tight, shouldn't NEMF have been in the proverbial driver seat to charge prices that reflect it?

It makes absolutely no sense for a company to lose money and go under in a market where there is more demand for their product than the market can supply.
Unions?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Customer concentration risk is a thing.
View Quote
That's exactly what the operating-ratio-chasing railroads are doing right now. They are trying to shed all but the most-profitable highest-efficiency (for the railroad) customers. The idiot behind it was the now-defunct Hunter Harrison, who left a trail of destruction across several railroads, destroying property, plant, people and equipment in search of the lowest possible operating ratio. Every railroad he touched was cannibalized, generating quick profits for Wall Street and customers swearing they'd never ship by rail again. CSX was his last victim, where thankfully, he croaked.

All so he could buy riding stables and a jockey husband for his otherwise unweddable offspring.

A hedge fund (Manticore) brought him in to "fix" CSX for $208 million. He cooked books, fired thousands, bulldozed yards, alienated customers and drove the stock up. Now after limits expire, the hedge fund that put him in is quietly unloading the stock as fast as they can.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:40:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A previous employer got in bed with customer who the Walmart of the industry. Horrible margins, constant demands for price reductions, nonstop bckcharges, contract violations, never ending emergency meetings, etc.

All that shiny volume wasn’t worth it and end in end that former employer went under because of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read that something sort of similar happens to Walmart suppliers.   Mt. Olive was featured in a story in particular.
A previous employer got in bed with customer who the Walmart of the industry. Horrible margins, constant demands for price reductions, nonstop bckcharges, contract violations, never ending emergency meetings, etc.

All that shiny volume wasn’t worth it and end in end that former employer went under because of it.
It's an old story.   Sears used to do the same thing.  It's how the world works.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:42:25 AM EDT
[#20]
This thread sounds like the lefties complaining about Walmart 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I worked for a company in the past that did a similar stunt to get a contract with Bank of America. We could claim them as a customer and lost money on the whole thing for 3 years.
View Quote
Happens all the time in every industry.  It's a combination of having the big client name on the roster, adding the revenue to the budget even if the margin is upside down, and hopefully utilizing the scale to service future TBG clients without adding additional overhead.  Doesn't always make sense, but all depends on circumstances and when growth is a priority you sometimes have to take risks.  Sometimes that risk bites you.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Amazon harmes every other business out there and uses the money to fund anti freedom causes.  Yet the arfcom website promotes amazon with links to get a small kick back.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:48:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
But then all those penny and nickle accounts need to be managed separately, and sometimes require as much attention as the big dollar accounts.  Managing peaks and valleys across a bunch of accounts require even more overhead and management.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Prime is about to go up another $20!
View Quote
Maybe they go vertical too!
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Some of them do work for the post office...
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 10:58:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Meh.
One door closes, another opens.

"Don't you worry your pretty little head, me and my extended family will save you".
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The same thing happens with suppliers to auto companies and other large companies like Walmart.

Once you start dealing with them they start to suck up all of your capacity until you drop all of your other work/customers.  Once they get you to that point they start beating you down on cost and you have no choice but to go along since you told all of your other customers to get lost.
View Quote
At one time our family had about 15 trucks. We did beer, Coca-Cola, produce, and glass.

Coke and beer went to you couldn’t deliver to distributors if more than half your revenue came from them.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I use the shit out of Amazon, but a lot of their suppliers are taking it in the ass.

I recently ordered a $25, 40lb item.  Shipped free.  No way anyone made money on that except Amazon and FedEx.

I work and live 5 minutes from both IAH and an Amazon distribution center.  I see Amazon Prime trucks and Amazon Prime 767 airplanes all day long.  No wonder Bezos is worth fuck-you money.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:08:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The CEO also tied to a couple of other trucking companies and according to the NEMF wiki he has mob ties.
View Quote
A New Jersey trucking company paying the mob in the 80's?  Shocked, I tell you.  Cannot believe it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:14:35 AM EDT
[#30]
There are retards everywhere.  Especially in management.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 11:24:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like it was their own doing signing on with Amazon at rates that were not sustainable.  I know several folks who won't go anywhere near a Amazon Prime trailer.
That's why they outsource it.  To much liability.

Remember when that Walmart driver hit Tracy Morgan?  I bet that was a nice pay day
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They probably signed a shitty contract.  CEO was likely not dumb, probably just too greedy to trust them and not have some sharp lawyers or SMEs go over the contract with a fine toothed comb.
Penny wise and pound foolish is the saying that captures it. Seen it many times.

Likewise the resistance from across the table when you tell them you are going to hand it to the attorneys do their job. “We need to move fast...” “We can work it out...” ....
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:32:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I once had a boss who liked to say "never ask an attorney how to do something, tell them what you are going to do and make them find a way to make it work". You can imagine how that all worked out for him. And, yes, he blamed the fuck out of the lawyers when it all blew up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

there is some wisdom in what your old boss said, but it has its limits.  It really requires a good attorney to counsel the client to figure out what the client really wants.

Example:  in the military, a commander says "JAG, I want to court-martial this guy!!"

A good JAG officer says: "no you don't.  You want to achieve a specific outcome, but you're confusing outcome with process.  Tell me what outcome you want, and I will advise you about the processes to get that outcome.  Do you want him jailed as a public spectacle to deter others, do you want him punished then rehabilitated, do you want him gone from the unit immediately, or something else?  The first requires a court-martial, the second can be done via NJP or other means, the third will NEVER happen in a court-martial but can be done administratively, etc."

BAD lawyers are just Doctor No.  Example: Boss: "I want to fire this shitty employee."  Bad Lawyer: "No, you cannot do that, she's black female, you'll get sued."  A good lawyer would explain how to fire the employee in a manner that sets the boss up to win that inevitable lawsuit.  @happycynic amirite?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Here's where the nation's worst truck bottlenecks are:

https://www.bulktransporter.com/sites/bulktransporter.com/files/ATRI%20trucking%20bottlenecks%20graphic%20-%20Copy%20-%20sized_0.png

@Gene5 that look about right?

Any others care to add thoughts? Who is gonna pick up the slack? Isn't there a big driver shortage anyway?
View Quote
As a Texan that has driven through all the points listed on the map, I would have to agree with it. Austin is nuts all by itself.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#35]
NEW ENGLAND MOTHER FUCKERS
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

All that shiny volume wasn't worth it and end in end that former employer went under because of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've read that something sort of similar happens to Walmart suppliers.   Mt. Olive was featured in a story in particular.

All that shiny volume wasn't worth it and end in end that former employer went under because of it.
Sam thing happens in my industry, commercial landscaping. You get wunderkind consultants that tell all of these mid-size companies to "leverage" their existing crews and equipment to do more work through efficiency, cut pricing since your overheads are already covered and reap the cash flow benefits. Problem is, the clients who were paying your overhead go away because work quality suffers and the guys down the street listening to your consultant have cut their prices too. Now you have a lot of work to perform with zero overhead recovery built in and the next genius says, "Hey, we can make it up with volume!"

Then the 800lb gorillas come in and buy up a bunch of the companies and then raise prices.

It's funny how the same song and dance get's repeated in so many industries.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Amazon harmes every other business out there and uses the money to fund anti freedom causes.  Yet the arfcom website promotes amazon with links to get a small kick back.
View Quote
The business didn't have to sign the contract with amazon
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 1:34:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Funny URL to boot: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ltl-nemf-to-shit-down-after-filing

Truck traffic in the NE is gonna get interesting...
View Quote
Soooooo, how does that translate to traffic issues?
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
What was the outfit that closed up shop a few years back with equipment and freight still on the road?  
View Quote
I can recall both Jevic and Arrow doing that within a year or so of each other.  Jevic was a northeast LTL company and most f their drivers were able to get rides home.  The company I drove for sent out a message telling us to offer rides to those guys when possible and a lot of them hired on with us for being shown such kindness.

Arrow was a nationwide flatbed operation and left a bunch of trucks and drivers scattered all over the country.  There were lots of wild stories about Arrow drivers selling all the gear off their rigs and then turning their rigs in at designated dealerships for $50 and a bus ticket home.

Some of those drivers made more than their average weekly pay selling the tarps, chains, binders and straps during "auctions" at various truck stops.  And then there were those stories about Arrow trucks dropped off at truck stops near the Canadian border that suddenly disappeared, last seen heading north.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Consolidated I think.  
View Quote
Consolidated didn't leave any driver or truck out on the road.  They made a big deal about getting everyone home and giving them Labor Day off.  Then locked the gates before anyone showed up for work Tuesday.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:13:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

And the CEO is old, tired of NJ weather, and the family owns all the property to be sold for a nice chunk of change.

Trucking companies always seem like a hard sell to me... none have any "good will", why buy an existing company if you could just move into the market at a much cheaper up front price, without the headaches of legacy contracts and employees.  
View Quote
The big item that companies will seek to buy is NRMF's freight book.  If they get that they get first choice to pick and choose among NEMF's customers to take over those contracts.  Somehow I think that the Amazon contracts won't be a big seller.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The same thing happens with suppliers to auto companies and other large companies like Walmart.

Once you start dealing with them they start to suck up all of your capacity until you drop all of your other work/customers.  Once they get you to that point they start beating you down on cost and you have no choice but to go along since you told all of your other customers to get lost.
View Quote
Yep, auto companies are ruthless.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In before "The truckers are making to much money"
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Unions?
View Quote
Management.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:34:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
there is some wisdom in what your old boss said, but it has its limits.  It really requires a good attorney to counsel the client to figure out what the client really wants.

Example:  in the military, a commander says "JAG, I want to court-martial this guy!!"

A good JAG officer says: "no you don't.  You want to achieve a specific outcome, but you're confusing outcome with process.  Tell me what outcome you want, and I will advise you about the processes to get that outcome.  Do you want him jailed as a public spectacle to deter others, do you want him punished then rehabilitated, do you want him gone from the unit immediately, or something else?  The first requires a court-martial, the second can be done via NJP or other means, the third will NEVER happen in a court-martial but can be done administratively, etc."

BAD lawyers are just Doctor No.  Example: Boss: "I want to fire this shitty employee."  Bad Lawyer: "No, you cannot do that, she's black female, you'll get sued."  A good lawyer would explain how to fire the employee in a manner that sets the boss up to win that inevitable lawsuit.  @happycynic amirite?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@spartacus2002

All good points, BUT, your intentions/execution are everything in those scenarios. This particular guy looked at the attorneys with utter contempt, he never viewed them as counsel or listened to what they said unless it was what he wanted to hear. His way was right, everybody else was wrong, if you know what I mean. It became an almost adversarial relationship. Predictable results ensued.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, that's how it's supposed to work.  In reality it is more like this.

Employer: "I want to do a RIF because some guy I golf with is a consultant who knows nothing about my industry but he has a powerpoint saying I should change everything."

Lawyer: "If you fire a black employee here is your risk of a Title VII suit.  If you fire a disabled person here is the risk of an ADA suit.  If you fire ancient Myrna, here is the risk of an ADEA suit.  If you fire a white guy under 40, pretty much no risk of a suit.  Now remember, you must make this decision without regard to race, gender, disability, age, etc."

1 week later, white guys gets pink slips.

But wait, there's more.  Part Deux.

Employer: "OMG.  Nothing gets done and everything is a disaster.  We're going to fire all the dead weight and hire a bunch of college students."

Lawyer: "All your dead weight is covered by anti-discrimination laws.  Do what you need to do, but remember what I told you the last time."

1 week later, all dead weight fired and replaced by 25 year old white males.

But wait, there's more.  Part Three.

Employer: "OMG.  These legal fees are outrageous!"

Lawyer: "You now have 87 federal anti-discrimination lawsuits and don't want to settle any of them."

Employer: "But it's soooo much money!"

Lawyer [thinking to himself]: "Well, go ask your consultant friend.  You paid him three times my bills up front for the powerpoint which caused all of this."

Lawyer [what he actually says]: "Yes.  It is soooo unfair.  You should call your Congressman and ask for some tort reform."

The ride never ends.  Part Four

Employer: "I now have an insurance policy which covers virtually every stupid thing I do."

Lawyer: "Great.  I need approval to travel to Washington DC for a hearing."

Insurance Adjuster: "OMG.  This is outrageous.  Why do you need to do that?"

Lawyer: "Because a federal judge said so.  It's literally malpractice not to go."

Insurance Adjuster: "I'll pay for 1/2 hour."

Lawyer: "Fuck this.  I'm leaving the profession/joining the plaintiff's bar."

Insurance Adjuster: "Why do we keep losing cases?  We need tort reform!"
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is how monopolies are made.

Low ball goods or services long enough to bankrupt your competition

If profitable buy the scraps

Raise prices to whatever the market will bare once you’re the only game in town.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Employer: "I want to do a RIF because some guy I golf with is a consultant who knows nothing about my industry but he has a powerpoint saying I should change everything."

Lawyer: "If you fire a black employee here is your risk of a Title VII suit.  If you fire a disabled person here is the risk of an ADA suit.  If you fire ancient Myrna, here is the risk of an ADEA suit.  If you fire a white guy under 40, pretty much no risk of a suit.  Now remember, you must make this decision without regard to race, gender, disability, age, etc."

Employer: "OMG.  Nothing gets done and everything is a disaster.  We're going to fire all the dead weight and hire a bunch of college students."

Lawyer: "All your dead weight is covered by anti-discrimination laws.  Do what you need to do, but remember what I told you the last time."

Lawyer: "You now have 87 federal anti-discrimination lawsuits and don't want to settle any of them."

Lawyer [thinking to himself]: "Well, go ask your consultant friend.  You paid him three times my bills up front for the powerpoint which caused all of this."

Lawyer [what he actually says]: "Yes.  It is soooo unfair.  You should call your Congressman and ask for some tort reform."

Employer: "I now have an insurance policy which covers virtually every stupid thing I do."

Lawyer: "Because a federal judge said so.  It's literally malpractice not to go."

View All Quotes
Quoted:

you are too young to be so cynical

as for this part:

I had no problem saying that to my clients, or partners.  Which explains both why most of my clients loved me and why I didn't last long in BigLaw.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:47:10 PM EDT
[#49]
I just saw an Amazon delivery truck parked the wrong way on the road blocking half off the lane on a 2 lane road with some dipshit driver, big sprinter van, get ready for more of this.
Link Posted: 2/13/2019 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Funny URL to boot: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/ltl-nemf-to-shit-down-after-filing

Truck traffic in the NE is gonna get interesting...
View Quote
Indeed.  They will be replaced by a host of fly-by-night companies with less than 10 drivers each, all of whom are illegal immigrants.  I see it happening already in the industry.  These companies have zero safety procedures and just go under when they have their first accident because they can no longer afford the premiums.  Then everyone shuffles to the next one and the cycle repeats.  I feel bad for companies like NEMF who try to do things right.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top