BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:53:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's just a general argument against "as long as they get their work done". I've been around the block in the professional salaried environment.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are assuming that a salaried employee that comes in late is going to work less time.  Don't.
It's just a general argument against "as long as they get their work done". I've been around the block in the professional salaried environment.
Then you know there is a reason for paying people salary and it isn't because they are robbing the company of paid time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Even after he wastes 4-6 hours a day? And I thought he was all about results, and now he wants paid for his time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
has their leader sat them down and explained the purpose and importance of the pass off?  
And communicated the expectation that they are to arrive 10mins early to conduct the pass off?
And enforced consequences when they fail to do that?
Better be paying for that 10 minutes then. You can't force me to show up early.
I agree with that.
Even after he wastes 4-6 hours a day? And I thought he was all about results, and now he wants paid for his time.
Which is why I draw the distinction between hourly labor and salaried information-based work.

His situation was described in a way that made it sound hourly.

I'm salary, I'm paid for a volume of work output, my hours don't matter. I'm on-call 24/7 anyways and expected to answer the phone and deal with the problem, whether it's during the work day, 2AM, Christmas Eve, or during my first child's birth. Hence my lack of respect for office hours and decorum. My work invades my personal life, so my personal life gets to invade my work.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got one of those too.  Young engineer.  Thing is, he still does more work than any of my other engineers and I would be fucked if I lost him at this juncture.
View Quote
then why does it matter? if he is late to meetings then sure but flexible hours for office staff are the norm now
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Which is why I draw the distinction between hourly and salaried employment.

I'm salary, I'm paid for a volume of work output, my hours don't matter. I'm on-call 24/7 anyways and expected to answer the phone and deal with the problem, whether it's during the work day, 2AM, Christmas Eve, or during my first child's birth. Hence my lack of respect for office hours and decorum. My work invades my personal life, so my personal life gets to invade my work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
has their leader sat them down and explained the purpose and importance of the pass off?  
And communicated the expectation that they are to arrive 10mins early to conduct the pass off?
And enforced consequences when they fail to do that?
Better be paying for that 10 minutes then. You can't force me to show up early.
I agree with that.
Which is why I draw the distinction between hourly and salaried employment.

This.  If you want me to put my personal life on hold to deal with something on Saturday, or at night, or on holidays then you have two options: pay me overtime or accept a certain degree of flexibility with regard to my attendance.  I guess there is a third option: fire me.  Going on 15 years and I'm still here...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is a employees market, with stagnant wages. Maybe the employer should do something about it, if not, fuck them. You don't want shit employees, don't treat your employees like shit.
View Quote
Expecting people to show up on time is treating them like shit now? Well ok then.

Somewhere else is another thread wondering why there are so many snowflakes...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't get paid to work 40 hours. I get paid to get the work done. Usually that requires 50+ hours a week so you can fuck off with your 10 minutes late anal retentiveness.

FWIW it's the anal people who show up a smidge early or right on time are the same people who are out the door the second the bell rings. They never stay late or chip in extra time when the workload is higher.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Which is why I draw the distinction between hourly labor and salaried information-based work.

View Quote
BINGO

It's a 2 way street. Shit goes wrong, I am the one calling the shots at 2 AM. If my wife needs me home early so she can leave the kids at home... well guess what, I am out the door.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

FWIW it's the anal people who show up a smidge early or right on time are the same people who are out the door the second the bell rings. They never stay late or chip in extra time when the workload is higher.
View Quote
Perhaps where you work, but you couldn't be more wrong in my place of business.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:16:54 PM EDT
[#9]
"15 minutes early is on time!!" Fine, pay me to talk with the shift worker I'm taking over the shift for so we can get squared away.

"I show up 30 mins early every day!" And then you sit on your ass for an hour and drink company coffee and talk about baseball and bitch about everything in the world. But you're a better worker than me.

I show up, and I work. I don't show up hungover, if I call in sick it's because I feel like shit, and I don't want to get coworkers sick, which just kicks the can down the road. If you're sick stay the fuck home, quit coughing all over me so I take your damned disease home to my wife and kids. Asshole.

I have a life, and kids, and a side job, so sometimes I'm running behind a little bit. Don't bark at me for being 5 minutes late, because I already know I'm 5 minutes late, and I'll make up for it. I also bust my ass 95% of the time when I'm there, and the stuff that I touch never comes back, because I did it right the first time.

As long as you're not a lazy ass that gets paid a lot for nothing, and you don't expect someone else to do your job, I don't care about 5 minutes here or there. But nothing pisses me off more than a moron that gives his time away every day for free then does shitty work and leaves at 5 sharp even when there's 15 minutes of work left to do, but still thinks they're better than me just because they got there earlier than I did.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:23:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have connections with staffing places and with many HR people and biz owners with my commercial accounts.

Many places here tolerate call offs even if they are one a week. They have stopped writing people up for it at some places.
They used to let people go for missing work but the people that replaced them are even worse. They are happy when people show 4 out of 5 days. The weird thing is that it's not just the younger workers either. It has become a much broader problem across the board.
They just do their best to work around it anymore.

I could grow my business right now but I'm wondering if I'm better off staying smaller.
There's no way I could absorb and do the work I have to take on to employ someone and cover for them if they decide to stay home because "My cat has anxiety today.....I can't come in."
View Quote
We have found life is better and a bit less stressful and profitable not to have a bigger business employee wise. Also allows us to leave and do things when we want.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at my current workplace because it's more of a startup and we have a younger workforce who works their asses off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:28:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My best employees are younger than me.

My worst fuck around, milk the clock, pass blame, employees are all older.

One of them came in today with a doctors note for high blood pressure(183 over 110)
And acted like it’s the working conditions, and he doesn’t need anymore stress put on him. God forbid anyone expect competent employees.

Motherfucker can’t even take responsibility for his own health.
View Quote
The wife has one like that at her work. He uses it to get out of all kinds of things. Like working in general.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm a millennial, late only when I can't control it. I am management and have been since I was 20yo. The millenials that work for me are late almost every day.
It has nothing to do with generations but it's fucking mind boggling.

ETA:  Tardy is 10min or less late anythimg after that is fucking late.
View Quote
Yep, 10 years ago you could have argued that it was millenials, but these days it seems to be an illness that has spread to all ages.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They will simply stand around collecting unemployment and still smoking weed
View Quote
That should be about the time the Democrats take power again, so they will be paid regardless if they show up or not.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#15]
My goal has always been to be as efficient and effective as possible. I usually dick around for 5 hours of my working day because I dont waste time.
I work on my two side jobs by either being on the phone, placing orders, running comps, or research my next target area for those 5 hours. My side gigs are taking off nicely!
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My goal has always been to be as efficient and effective as possible. I usually dick around for 5 hours of my working day because I dont waste time.
I work on my two side jobs by either being on the phone, placing orders, running comps, or research my next target area for those 5 hours. My side gigs are taking off nicely!
View Quote
LOL, and OP is cranky because some people are a few minutes late...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

LOL, and OP is cranky because some people are a few minutes late...
View Quote
I can count on one hand how many times I have been late during my entire professional career. That's about 15 years now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Not at my job they don't
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#19]
maybe you should become a manager

never mind, that would require initiative, drive, etc.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Expecting people to show up on time is treating them like shit now? Well ok then.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a employees market, with stagnant wages. Maybe the employer should do something about it, if not, fuck them. You don't want shit employees, don't treat your employees like shit.

The bad managers around here make a lot of threads wondering why they can't get employees, and they're always clueless that they suck.  You're right about that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Older people seem to be afraid of using computers.

Younger people might not know how to use them but will usually try.  Usually.  There are always exceptions.  I had a previous job doing desktop support work at a university and a lot of the students there were utterly helpless with computers.

It's also possible there's some selection bias there, since people that don't know how to use computers are probably calling the helpdesk more often than people who are familiar with computers.
View Quote
There may be some of this but way to many of the younger generation think shit actually gets done with a computer and in the real world, too much computer work takes away from the actual work that needs to be done. They are a great help but at the same time, they are also a huge waste of time that could be used actually doing the job.  Programmers and desk jocks think the job IS the computer work because that is THEIR job. They tend to absolutely forget that the guy in the field has another job that has to get done besides fiddly fvcking around for 15 minutes on the computer after or before each job.

My customers DGAF about the computer, they GAF about the work I do on their equipment.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The bad managers around here make a lot of threads wondering why they can't get employees, and they're always clueless that they suck.  You're right about that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless the company has a specific policy for showing up and leaving at will as long as your work is completed, you should show up at your scheduled time.

I don't understand why so many here think it's the cool kids thing to show up late because no one says something about it. And if someone does say something they're literally Hitler.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do they stay late and put 8+ hrs in?

Some people just aren't morning people.
View Quote
Then they shouldn't apply for a job that requires them to be at work early in the morning. An employer shouldn't have to lower their standards because these millennials can't get out of bed when it's too cold outside.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Then they shouldn't apply for a job that requires them to be at work early in the morning. An employer shouldn't have to lower their standards because these millennials can't get out of bed when it's too cold outside.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If the work is getting done in an acceptable manner, then is the employer really lowering their standards?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Go yell at clouds 14er
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What industry are we talking about?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If the work is getting done in an acceptable manner, then is the employer really lowering their standards?
View Quote
My previous job before now I was required to be there at 730am and we could leave at 5 if we were done with our work. I was usually done by noon and sat around and wasted my time for another 5 hours. Some days it was non stop but some there was absolutely nothing to do. Yet I was still required to stay and if there was anything that needed to be done, I could have done it from home.

It was truly annoying.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
My previous job before now I was required to be there at 730am and we could leave at 5 if we were done with our work. I was usually done by noon and sat around and wasted my time for another 5 hours. Some days it was non stop but some there was absolutely nothing to do. Yet I was still required to stay and if there was anything that needed to be done, I could have done it from home.

It was truly annoying.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was truly annoying.
Crazy. But plenty of people think that's how it should be.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's also kinda crazy people complaining about getting paid to do nothing.

I guess I would also like to get paid to do nothing in the convince of my own home too though...
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a millennial. I am always 15 minutes early.

I was late to work once in the last 8 months. 3 minutes. Four car pileup got in my way.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Only if they ride Harleys with loud pipes on a treadmill in an HOA while ordering from Optics Planet.
View Quote
Typical of GD to turn a discussion of declining sales into a Harley hate group.
Yeah, I am in my early 50s. I technically am still married but my wife, I am separated from, and adult kids live in the US while I live in Panama.
But to label every Harley rider as a tough biker want a be is similar to labeling every Trump supporter as a racist.
I have been riding bikes for 30 years now. Started with a Suzuki and quickly switched to Harley Davidsons. Why? The life style. I picked up more girls on that loud leaking shovel head than I ever could on another bike.
So here I am, 30 years later, in good shape and now riding in a 1%ER club on an older Screamin Eagle Road King. True dual straight pipes and loud as fuck if I crank the throttle. Yeah, I am in a real fucking biker club. Lots of leather, lots of Harleys, and lots of fun. Funny how these type of clubs are quickly labeled "criminal organizations", but I will tell you this. My brothers are honest, loyal, and have my back. Our by laws clearly state no lying and no criminal activities allowed. Do some brothers break those rules, sure, but tell me any organization that does not have some assholes in it that do what they want. Do we sometimes pull into a gas station like we own the place and take up parking spots, hell yeah, so what? The same guys complaining about trivial shit like that probably would come over and compliment my F250 King Ranch as it took up multiple spots because of its size. Simple, if you don't like Harleys go ride another bike.
I love my Road King. I ride mine hard as hell and because of their "old" design I can get parts easily and do almost any repair myself. I have friends down here who ride BMWs who can't get the oil change service light out because you need a special computer. My bike has been reliable and I accept the downsides of riding a vibrating monster. Downsides like my rear tire tracking in a turn at 80MPH plus or when my shifter lever came loose and I could not downshift. Yeah, it took me 20 minutes on the side of the road to fix, but so what. The hot chicks on the back of our bikes took selfies while we quickly addressed the issue. That loud vibrating monster still gets more girl's attention than any other bike could. The lifestyle includes parties with naked girls washing bikes, huge motorcycle runs, charity events, just overall fun.
Is it a dying breed and lifestyle? Perhaps, but many of the reasons we Harley riders love it is because those same reasons turn off millennials and keep them away from us.
If Harley wants to attract a different demographic and not risk alienating the base they have, they, in IMO, should do something similar to what they had with Buell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 7:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't get paid to work 40 hours. I get paid to get the work done. Usually that requires 50+ hours a week so you can fuck off with your 10 minutes late anal retentiveness.

View Quote
Lol no
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#34]
It's funny reading these ageism threads because I'm technically a millennial and right now I'm having to clean up after a workaholic boomer. Idiots come in all ages and work ethics.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I guess I would also like to get paid to do nothing in the convince of my own home too though...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My time is valuable. Work is one thing, but I don't really like getting paid to sit on my ass. Pay me to work or let me leave and do what I want.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top