Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 7:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a great film. It came out shortly after The Phantom Menace. I thought at the time that The Matrix was what The Phantom Menace should have been, in terms of quality and innovation. The Matrix was exciting, and edgy.  We forget now how cool it was at the time only because it was copied so much afterward.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The movie that started my love affair with the M16A1.
View Quote

I was going to say that this movie gave me a healthy appreciation for Cougars but on further investigation these are, in fact, Beretta Cheetahs.

...but this movie still have me an appreciation for cougars...
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Another thing where this movie really hit me was the soundtrack. I've only bought two movie soundtracks in my life; this one, and Last of the Mohicans. Both were excellent at setting the mood and tone of the film.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
can't believe it's been that long, she was sooo hot in the latex - i popped wood may a times and called out her name when i was banging another chick before when i was single

she was a perfect example where short hair was hot on her
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think Hollywood had produced anything decent  in 20 years besides the Matrix..... except maybe Infinity Wars....
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I just watched it again tonight. Still an awesome movie!
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:51:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They should have never made the other two.
View Quote
What other two?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:53:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yea the Matrix was part of a niche "unseen world" genre that was around in the late 90s but is mostly forgotten (mostly because of the dominance of the Matrix).

An excellent entry to that genre was 1998's "Dark City" featuring the arfcom favorite Jennifer Connelly

http://renegadecinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dark-City-Jennifer-Connelly.jpg
View Quote
I have that movie in my library due to some youtube 'top ten' list or some such, but haven't watched it yet.  Maybe tonight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:00:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have no idea what you're talking about.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:07:53 AM EDT
[#10]
When Trinity did the slow jumpkick at the beginning of the movie, there was a big reaction in the theater.  Gasp/wow/woah/awesome etc.

That movie seriously raised the bar for special effects.  It was the Star Wars of its day.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Fun fact for those who don't know:
The Agent shooting at Neo during the bullet-time dodging sequence was Walt Longmire.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:24:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I dont think Hollywood had produced anything decent  in 20 years besides the Matrix..... except maybe Infinity Wars....
View Quote
The Dark Knight was fucking amazing. So was Blade Runner 2049.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
The movie still holds up. I rewatched it for the first time in years a few months ago and was surprised.

The philosophy feels a little strained these days but that's likely due to the changes in the world since then
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:00:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I had no idea what it was when it came out.  In fact, I didn't know it even existed, as I can't recall even seeing a commercial.  Six months later, a friend of mine lent me the DVD.  I enjoyed it.

As an aside, I saw an article about the movie, today, on my newsfeed.  There was a bit of revisionism going on, as they commented that the Wachowski Brothers were known simply as the "Wachowskis" (it was always Wachowski Brothers in press).  It never uses the word "brother" at any point, in fact, opting for "sibling".  It also tells of their first script, saying it was written by "Lilly and Lana".  I'm fairly certain those aren't the names on the script.  I guess it is improper to mention the fact that they are dudes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:01:40 AM EDT
[#15]
How about I give you the finger.
And you give me my phone call.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:16:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have that movie in my library due to some youtube 'top ten' list or some such, but haven't watched it yet.  Maybe tonight.
View Quote
Arguably a better premise than the Matrix, equally excellent (possible better in terms of lighting and framing) cinematography, but less impressive CGI and definitely less action oriented.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I liked Will Smith in the '90s (MIB, ID4), however I'm glad they didn't cast him. Just like I'm glad we got Laurence Fishburne instead of Val Kilmer. They captured lighting in a bottle with the cast they ended up with.

I remember after the movie came out there was some controversy over allegations the the Wachowski brothers stole the script for the movie. Given how terribly the sequels veered from mythology of the first I'd say that was a strong possibility. Either that or they accidentally made a great movie (also a strong possibility).
View Quote
Yes but Lewis Carroll didn’t care because he was dead.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:47:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
When Trinity did the slow jumpkick at the beginning of the movie, there was a big reaction in the theater.  Gasp/wow/woah/awesome etc.

That movie seriously raised the bar for special effects.  It was the Star Wars of its day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 3:07:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Still my favorite movie.

It blew me away when I saw it. It was the first movie to do that to me. It's never happened since.

I go see movies, still trying to find that feeling the matrix gave me back than.
View Quote
Inception did that for me.

The matrix I didn't know what they plot was. I just remember the "What is the Matrix"ads.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Would smash
a lot
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:11:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Can you imagine?  He would have ruined it terribly, just like every other film he gives aids to
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
And to think it was soooo close to going horribly wrong

Will Smith as Neo????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2szuXKgL8
Can you imagine?  He would have ruined it terribly, just like every other film he gives aids to
They wanted him for the Snow Crash movie as well.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:26:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It is weird that The Matrix , Existenz and 13th Floor all came out in April/May 99 .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember after the movie came out there was some controversy over allegations the the Wachowski brothers stole the script for the movie.
It is weird that The Matrix , Existenz and 13th Floor all came out in April/May 99 .
Dante’s Peak - February 1997
Volcano - April 1997

Deep Impact - May 1998
Armageddon - July 1998

Captain Marvel - March 2019
Shazam - April 2019
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I remember seeing it in the theater in 1999. I didn't have much of a concept of what it was going to be like.

I came out thinking "HOLY FUCK, THAT WAS THE MOST AWESOME MOVIE EVER!!!"   and at the time, it was.
View Quote
Same.  I knew very little about the movie going in and truly didn't know what "the matrix" was ahead of time which made the unveiling of it during the film completely mind blowing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#25]
It was great on VHS.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#26]
The Matrix was a solid movie.

Reloaded was pretty bad, but one of the first movies to show a realistic hacking sequence, using nmap.

Good times.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Fun fact for those who don't know:
The Agent shooting at Neo during the bullet-time dodging sequence was Walt Longmire.  
View Quote
The 3rd Agent was the son in law in the movie, Babe.

Jay
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:35:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And to think it was soooo close to going horribly wrong

Will Smith as Neo????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2szuXKgL8
I didn't know Snow Crash was going to happen.

It will suck, I just know it.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:37:11 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Same.  I knew very little about the movie going in and truly didn't know what "the matrix" was ahead of time which made the unveiling of it during the film completely mind blowing.
View Quote
I had read Neuromancer, so I thought maybe William Gibson had been involved in writing it, especially since his virtual world was also referred to as the matrix, among other names.
When Neo got unplugged, I thought basically, "Neat.  I don't think I've ever seen 'jacking in' as a concept in a movie before.

But a lot of people had never been exposed to cyberpunk, so it was a very new concept.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#30]
The Matrix is a classic.
I think The Thirteenth Floor was a better movie about living in a stimulation.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#31]
The Matrix was the end of Cyberpunk. With the advancement of the internet as we have seen. The genre is pretty much dead. Films like the Matrix, Ghost in the Shell, etc are a relic of a bygone era. The idea of an entire virtual world was an strange and foreign concept then. Now, we pretty much live it with 2nd Life, MMORPGs, Social Media, etc...

It was an amazingly well done film borh visually and story wise and in my opinion did not need a sequel. The best related material ever to it was the two short stories from the Animatrix that explained.what led up to the Matrix. That was damn good.

As for other pre 9/11 films. To me, The Siege was another good film.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Arguably a better premise than the Matrix, equally excellent (possible better in terms of lighting and framing) cinematography, but less impressive CGI and definitely less action oriented.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Watched it.  Meh.  Won't watch again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tried watching it I think three times and it put me to sleep almost instantly every time. It's worse than Blade Runner in that respect
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 12:34:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Volcano - April 1997

Deep Impact - May 1998
Armageddon - July 1998

Shazam - April 2019
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember after the movie came out there was some controversy over allegations the the Wachowski brothers stole the script for the movie.
Volcano - April 1997

Deep Impact - May 1998
Armageddon - July 1998

Shazam - April 2019
When movie studios get wind of another studio throwing big dollars at a movie they rush their version of it into production. Ref: Ants/A Bugs Life, the Abyss sumner of aquatic themed monster movies...
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When movie studios get wind of another studio throwing big dollars at a movie they rush their version of it into production. Ref: Ants/A Bugs Life, the Abyss sumner of aquatic themed monster movies...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dante's Peak - February 1997
Volcano - April 1997

Deep Impact - May 1998
Armageddon - July 1998

Shazam - April 2019
Leviathan and Deep Star six were Jan and March 1989 as well .
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Wait, this was just a movie?  Not a documentary?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:27:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
some execution fumbles in that movie, but very interesting overall.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Allegra Gellar  
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea the Matrix was part of a niche "unseen world" genre that was around in the late 90s but is mostly forgotten (mostly because of the dominance of the Matrix).

An excellent entry to that genre was 1998's "Dark City" featuring the arfcom favorite Jennifer Connelly

http://renegadecinema.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Dark-City-Jennifer-Connelly.jpg
Shared a lot of the same sets.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
This right here. Second one was so bad we walked out of it about 1/3 in.

It was so bad I had no desire to see the third one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy Crap, The Matrix was released closer to Alien than to now.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dark City was a better movie, just not a big action movie.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Allegra Gellar  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Allegra Gellar  
holy crap--all this time i thought it was jennifer jason leigh.

Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Has someone mentioned how the movie was heavily inspired by anime yet?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Which Matrix movie was it where you could see Monica Bellucci Bush through her dress?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Which Matrix movie was it where you could see Monica Bellucci Bush through her dress?
View Quote
lol 2
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one with the orgasm cake or something.

And the werewolves or ghosts or whatever.

"The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power."

To ask what this means is to miss the point...
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dante's Peak - February 1997
Volcano - April 1997

Deep Impact - May 1998
Armageddon - July 1998

Shazam - April 2019
Ahh for some reason I thought they were all summer flicks. I think I saw Leviathan when it was warm out. Might have just been a warm snap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
That was impressive on the big screen.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#49]
God dammit.......I got old......where did my life go?
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
BS.

Reloaded is a better action movie than the original ever thought about being.

While The Matrix is the only solid movie of the series in both storytelling and action, the entire end from getting to the keymaker through the interstate scene is better than any single action scene in the original.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top