BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Sacklers bribing doctors nationwide for over a decade to peddle their shit while advertising it as "non-addictive" may have had something to do with it.
View Quote
Everyone knows, has known for a long while.....that opiate pain pills are addictive.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Opioid epidemic is fake news.
View Quote
SFP (stupid first post) IMHO
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Common knowledge isn't as common as one might hope. Purdue Pharma has at the very least passively, and possibly actively, tried to keep it that way regarding its products.
View Quote
I knew opiates were addictive when I was 10.  It is common knowledge.  Has been for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

This was not a problem of nearly this magnitude 30 years ago.

What changed?  It's not that difficult to see.
View Quote
What changed is the number of users is up, while the % addicted is the same.  This is possible due to growth in population and closer living situations due to greater populations.

You just see more people because there are more people.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Speaking of bad analogies...

Anyway, a more accurate analogy would be an AR. There are some bad people out there who misuse (abuse) the gun and harm others (or self). The gun is a tool (like medicine) with a specific purpose.

Should all ars be banned because of the actions of a few? Or do we hold those who committed the crime responsible? Or, should we allow the AR manufacturer to be sued?

I don't know what big pharma told the world about prescription opiates being non addictive in the past. I'm only in my 30s, but have always known that they have a risk of addiction, as do most things in life. If they lied to the medical field and told them that addiction was not a risk, then sure, they should be held accountable. That doesn't mean that the innocent should be punished by just a blanket ban and shaming for those who do manage to keep their prescriptions.

This is not a product that will blow up in your face if used as described, as your analogy alluded to. It's more akin to someone who knows they proper use of a gun, but still decides thanks they want to commit an armed robbery. The gun will not change what kind of person you are, not will an opiate prescription.
View Quote
You are out of your element by your own admission. I have been on them, and have had to go through hell with doctors. If you do not know what the FDA did, read up on it.

edit:spell
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I knew opiates were addictive when I was 10.  It is common knowledge.  Has been for a long time.
View Quote
Yeah pretty sure the guy you quoted is a young guy who thinks history began at his birth.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:31:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
End publicly funded Narcan.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bullshit. The problem is with the junkies, not the prescription. *Works in the medical field*
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately it is not, I have family in the medical field and it is a very severe issue with people from all walks of life.
The number of people who purposeful hurt themselves in attempts get more opiates on a daily basis is a pretty good indicator that there is in fact a problem with opioid abuse.
Bullshit. The problem is with the junkies, not the prescription. *Works in the medical field*
And for some time doctors were prescribing it for ailments that didn't require it or were prescribing doses in excess of what was needed, creating addicts.  Once deprived of their legal source and unable to kick the habit, they turn to illegal sources.

We can't honestly say the drug companies didn't play a hand in this either. The amount of pills that were sold into Mingo County WV for example should have raised red flags across the board, but the shipments kept coming.  Over the course of roughly a decade 20 MILLION pills were shipped into a town of 2900 people and no one batted an eye.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

And for some time doctors were prescribing it for ailments that didn't require it or were prescribing doses in excess of what was needed, creating addicts.  Once deprived of their legal source and unable to kick the habit, they turn to illegal sources.

We can't honestly say the drug companies didn't play a hand in this either. The amount of pills that were sold into Mingo County WV for example should have raised red flags across the board, but the shipments kept coming.  Over the course of roughly a decade 20 MILLION pills were shipped into a town of 2900 people and no one batted an eye.
View Quote
This tells me that maybe a fuck-ton of people In Mingo Co WV wanted an escape.   Might ask you why?  But that's just one angle of attacking this particular story.

It takes more than a script to create an addict.  It's not like they are being forced down these people's throats.

It also doesn't pass the logical litmus test that 2900 people consumed 20 million pills.  It makes more sense that there was a drug ring being run out of that place, and some well placed graft has assisted in keeping that part of things quiet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

timed released oxycontin that could be crushed and snorted was a beautifully designed vehicle to introduce large dose opiod use to folks who would never have tried heroin/needles. all you needed to do was to get doctors to prescribe it to everyone who had chronic pain in numbers that would lead to large scale diversion. this big pharma did.

without large scale mega-dose opiod availability, you would not have the current opiod crisis where big-pharma has bee replaced by the mexican cartels and chinese clandestine labs. there was nothing like oxycontin prior to its introduction. drugs like dilaudid and morphine (and dolophine) were rarely prescribed outside of terminal cancer and even those were not available in dosage forms that contained large amounts of an opiod like oxycontin. an 80mg oxycontin tablet is like 16 percodans.
View Quote
Is this a masterfully subtle troll, or just simply the *exact, precise* same argument that the left uses with guns?

I mean, I could substitute just a few words and make it read that way.

If it wasn't for the ready availability of {INANIMATE OBJECT NAME} we wouldn't have the result of {HORRIBLE THING}.

It's like Mad Libs for politics.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This tells me that maybe a fuck-ton of people In Mingo Co WV wanted an escape.   Might ask you why?  But that's just one angle of attacking this particular story.

It takes more than a script to create an addict.  It's not like they are being forced down these people's throats.

It also doesn't pass the logical litmus test that 2900 people consumed 20 million pills.  It makes more sense that there was a drug ring being run out of that place, and some well placed graft has assisted in keeping that part of things quiet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never claimed that those pills were being used legitimately.  On the contrary actually. Prescriptions were being filled and manufacturers/distributors continued supplying the pills to fill the orders but no one bothered to ask why such a small town needed so many drugs. That's a failure at numerous levels. Obviously at the local level it's illegal activity. At higher levels is willful ignorance. They had to know there's no legitimate use for such quantities but they continued to make the sales and ship the drugs.

The point is, unscrupulous or incompetent doctors and pharmacists aren't the only ones to blame.  The big pharma companies turned a blind eye to this in the name of profit.
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe for some small, miniscule sliver of the population.  But it's a fucking black swan.

The vast majority of people with pill problems are recreational users of many drugs, who run across a handful of percocet and say "yeah, fuck it, this looks like fun" and they toss em down the hatch, just like many other types of drugs.  Whether it's heroin, meth or whatever, two things are clear.  Substance abusers *will* abuse substances for a variety of reasons, and your average soccer mom doesn't start sucking dicks at highway rest stops after she strains her back and gets a bottle of percocet.  It just doesn't happen in any statistically meaningful way.  And I'd bet my nutsack that had those soccer moms who did develop an issue with them, not had access to opioids, it would be benzos, or alcohol, or whatever.  The person was broken, the meds weren't.

Again, the inanimate object is not the issue.  If there's a "crisis" in this country, it's a mental health crisis, which by the way is the cause of most drug problems and homelessness.  Thank Carter and Reagan for that.

When I was a kid (young adult, like 19), I was actually given a script for Vicoden just to have on hand.  Dr had no problem with it.  I had a really bad head cold once, I took one pill a day which made my day less shitty.  Then maybe one a year later when I had a particularly nasty headache.  That fucking bottle lasted me 5 years.  I suppose it's just inexplicable how I avoided shooting up smack in back alleys.

As an adult, I was given a prescription for 24 Ultram (Tramadol) after a back injury.  I was accidentally given 240 of them.  This was pre-schedule. It would have been very easy to take those recreationally, and there were enough to create a problem.  But it didn't and they just sat in the closet - just like the *vast* majority of people prescribed.

Yet, a couple of years ago I broke a fucking molar in half, and the urgent care doctor accused me of "drug seeking".  Yeah fuckhead, I'm a well dressed guy in his mid 40s with a broken and bleeding tooth, 1300 miles from my dentist with a plane flight between me and home.  Nope, just told me to take Ibuprofen (I had done that already).  Ok, fuck him, on to the next Urgent care. Next guy gave me norco. Finally, some relief.

And to hell with my tooth, there are people with legitimate chronic pain being taken off the only effective thing for them because their physician is scared of nanny government.  It's fucking horrible.

As a result of that norco.......well, I'm typing this from my Obama phone, homeless and ready to take another dick up the ass in exchange for a handful of pills.  I've got a few clean needles left, but when I run out it's cool, my hooker friend said she'd give me some of hers, she rinsed them out with some Aquafina first so no worries.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Obama made me want to take painkillers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Sacklers bribing doctors nationwide for over a decade to peddle their shit while advertising it as "non-addictive" may have had something to do with it.
View Quote
No,no ,no

Didn't you learn anything here? It's all fake news
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:32:14 AM EDT
[#15]
There is no evidence that there is an opiod epidemic. Also, stop giving Narcan to drug users and that particular problem will fix itself in short order.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I suspected as much. Do you believe the 70,000 people actually fell off the edge of the earth?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I suspected as much. Do you believe the 70,000 people actually fell off the edge of the earth?
raises glass
here's hoping.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#17]
WTF why is the 240 gunner on point
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 3:45:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Opiate crisis origin:  JCAHO—the “Fifth Vital Sign,” under treated pain.  Successful lawsuits against MDs who refused to prescribe narcotics inappropriately and the fanciful idea doctors must hand out narcotics based on an arbitrary subjective “Pain Scale” of 1-10 with everyone always 13/10....

We doctors & surgeons are supposed to practice evidence-based medicine, but non-physician administrators come up with the brilliant idea of scoring doctors on patient satisfaction—with part of our payment tied to “happy patients.”

You want the “epidemic” to resolve?  Let doctors do what their trained to do—follow OBJECTIVE outcomes and not subjective “patient satisfaction” scores where they aren’t “happy” until they get the drugs they feels they deserve.

Weak rant, I know.  I lived through all this nonsense that started in the early 1990s.
View Quote
Other countries don’t hand out pain meds as quickly as we do.  Not even for surgeries. Hell barely give epidurals. The US makes the policy, doctor’s by law have to abide by it.  Coupled with all the little whiny bitches running around with a “broken arm”. Yeah I can see where between the policy creators and us instant gratification folk can see we created a problem.  However, I believe big pharmaceutical new this was addictive and still pushed forward with it. Not to mention why the hell US military protecting the poppy fields in the Afghan. Makes you wonder.  I blame the government more than the addicts but people should take some self responsibility and understand that certain meds/drugs can be addictive. Especially when abused. But look at your local McDonald’s and the cows there it’s obvious people can’t take self responsibility.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 8:12:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Maybe for some small, miniscule sliver of the population.  But it's a fucking black swan.

The vast majority of people with pill problems are recreational users of many drugs, who run across a handful of percocet and say "yeah, fuck it, this looks like fun" and they toss em down the hatch, just like many other types of drugs.  Whether it's heroin, meth or whatever, two things are clear.  Substance abusers *will* abuse substances for a variety of reasons, and your average soccer mom doesn't start sucking dicks at highway rest stops after she strains her back and gets a bottle of percocet.  It just doesn't happen in any statistically meaningful way.  And I'd bet my nutsack that had those soccer moms who did develop an issue with them, not had access to opioids, it would be benzos, or alcohol, or whatever.  The person was broken, the meds weren't.

Again, the inanimate object is not the issue.  If there's a "crisis" in this country, it's a mental health crisis, which by the way is the cause of most drug problems and homelessness.  Thank Carter and Reagan for that.

When I was a kid (young adult, like 19), I was actually given a script for Vicoden just to have on hand.  Dr had no problem with it.  I had a really bad head cold once, I took one pill a day which made my day less shitty.  Then maybe one a year later when I had a particularly nasty headache.  That fucking bottle lasted me 5 years.  I suppose it's just inexplicable how I avoided shooting up smack in back alleys.

As an adult, I was given a prescription for 24 Ultram (Tramadol) after a back injury.  I was accidentally given 240 of them.  This was pre-schedule. It would have been very easy to take those recreationally, and there were enough to create a problem.  But it didn't and they just sat in the closet - just like the *vast* majority of people prescribed.

Yet, a couple of years ago I broke a fucking molar in half, and the urgent care doctor accused me of "drug seeking".  Yeah fuckhead, I'm a well dressed guy in his mid 40s with a broken and bleeding tooth, 1300 miles from my dentist with a plane flight between me and home.  Nope, just told me to take Ibuprofen (I had done that already).  Ok, fuck him, on to the next Urgent care. Next guy gave me norco. Finally, some relief.

And to hell with my tooth, there are people with legitimate chronic pain being taken off the only effective thing for them because their physician is scared of nanny government.  It's fucking horrible.

As a result of that norco.......well, I'm typing this from my Obama phone, homeless and ready to take another dick up the ass in exchange for a handful of pills.  I've got a few clean needles left, but when I run out it's cool, my hooker friend said she'd give me some of hers, she rinsed them out with some Aquafina first so no worries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sir,
Please add me to your newsletter.

TIA,
Bedouin2W
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top