Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2019 10:12:07 AM EDT
Came across this today. Looks awesome. If it works..
Would really screw up the economy with all the out of work truck drivers.  
https://www.foxnews.com/auto/volvo-trucks-reveals-vera-self-driving-electric-semi-concept

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/volvo-trucks-reveals-vera-self-driving-electric-semi-concept
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I can see them on the highways driving to hubs just outside the cities where a human would take over final delivery.  Makes me think of this scene though.

Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#2]
With all the good fortune autonomous driving has had, I can just imagine the lawsuit after that thing slams into the side of a  bus load of orphans on a field trip. Doesn't matter whose fault it really is, it will be epic.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
With all the good fortune autonomous driving has had, I can just imagine the lawsuit after that thing slams into the side of a  bus load of orphans on a field trip. Doesn't matter whose fault it really is, it will be epic.
View Quote
Very true.  I don't see it ever really happening until all passenger vehicles are automated. Once people have their own auto car in their own garage, they won't vote to ban the commercial versions of them on a kneejerk feels moment from a high profile accident.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:22:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I would support banning self driving trucks if the ban contained a provision for summary execution of any semi driver using the passing lane on the interstate
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

What I've never seen discussed in depth is what happens when an autonomous vehicle has to make a choice about who dies.

Does the vehicle default to saving the driver?  Kill a kid or hit a wall?  Hit a dog or run off a cliff?  Avoid an old lady and head-on a truck?  Just wondering.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#6]
how will it do in a 60mph Wyoming  wind in a blizzard when it can handel that better than a live driver then it is a go.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Very true.  I don't see it ever really happening until all passenger vehicles are automated. Once people have their own auto car in their own garage, they won't vote to ban the commercial versions of them on a kneejerk feels moment from a high profile accident.
View Quote
Most people will not own any “auto car”, do some research.

You are part of society that will gleefully give govt all control of movement because it’s cool and for convenience.

In before the Luddite insults start...
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:26:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Needs the cylon sweeping red eye in the grill or front end.

I’d think they’d all need to be networked, sort of like airplanes with ADS-B are intended to be.

Better than illegals from Central America and Russians.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#9]
I want to see the automated truck that can stuff a 48’ trailer into the loading dock of the Safeway at 17th and Corcoran St NW in Washington DC during morning rush hour without killing someone or tearing up a bunch of shit.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:30:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Figure a decade of absolutely pristine Level 4 automation (full automation with human on board) success before legislation would even think about allowing Level 5.

Call it 2020 as we sit with slightly sketchy Level 2 and 3.

2030 Level 4?

2040 Level 5?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:32:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Most people will not own any “auto car”, do some research.

You are part of society that will gleefully give govt all control of movement because it’s cool and for convenience.

In before the Luddite insults start...
View Quote
I hate the idea. I see nothing but problems with the tech and loss of freedoms if this ever happens.

That being said, I would love to be able to go to bed in my car and wake up in Vegas. But not if I lose the ability to drive myself.  And we all know that the end game of self driving ccars is getting rid of human drivers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to see the automated truck that can stuff a 48' trailer into the loading dock of the Safeway at 17th and Corcoran St NW in Washington DC during morning rush hour without killing someone or tearing up a bunch of shit.
View Quote
Actually I bet an autonomous truck could back up better than 99% of the fuckwits I see trying to back into a wide open spot at truckstops.

Then there's the 1%:

Fedex truck amazing reverse parking
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Looks like Jacko’s from The Highwayman.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't see total autonomy, however I could go along with multi truck convoys with a single "operator" traveling long distances in dedicated truck lanes to and from terminals with direct ramp access to highways.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:51:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Arent they giving up the greatest advantage of observation by making the whole sensory package low to the ground like that?  You got trailer-height to work with anyway, why not use it?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#16]
You will never see vehicles without steering wheels, because of liability.  If you crash your car, you are liable.  If your car crashes itself, the manufacturer is liable.  Ain't gonna happen.  There will always be a steering wheel and a driver.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually I bet an autonomous truck could back up better than 99% of the fuckwits I see trying to back into a wide open spot at truckstops.

Then there's the 1%:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhhqkHsGrsA
View Quote
Yeah, you’re probably right.
I pride myself on my ability to put big trailers in tight places, but you’re correct.

Plenty of these clowns struggle to back a straight line in a warehouse yard big enough to land a goddamn airplane.

ETA, driver in the video has been there before. Like a boss.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Will this still change lanes in front of me going 20 mph slower than I am because it's going .5 mph faster than the vehicle in front of it?  Because if so it's on par with the current crew of dumbass truck drivers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I want to see the automated truck that can stuff a 48’ trailer into the loading dock of the Safeway at 17th and Corcoran St NW in Washington DC during morning rush hour without killing someone or tearing up a bunch of shit.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

I guess it's not bad if you do your deliveries in a sedan.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, you're probably right.
I pride myself on my ability to put big trailers in tight places, but you're correct.

Plenty of these clowns struggle to back a straight line in a warehouse yard big enough to land a goddamn airplane.

View Quote
I learned reversing skills when I was doing the haz-mat thing backing trucks into places not designed for trucks surrounded by things you don't want to hit at places like chemical plants and refineries and industrial complexes.

Now I have to back in and out of tight-ass dealerships with expensive cars hanging off both ends of the truck with limited turning ability.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 11:22:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would support banning self driving trucks if the ban contained a provision for summary execution of any semi driver using the passing lane on the interstate
View Quote
Fucking nailed it!!
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86631/Capture_JPG-926340.JPG

View Quote
Ha, yep, that’s it!

Blind side 90 degree shot, two lane one way street with cars usually parked on both sides of the street. Also factor in the walkway ramp to the left of that car in the dock. It’s even worse than it looks.

Here’s me there maybe 6 or 7 years ago.
Better to get there early.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I learned reversing skills when I was doing the haz-mat thing backing trucks into places not designed for trucks surrounded by things you don't want to hit at places like chemical plants and refineries and industrial complexes.

Now I have to back in and out of tight-ass dealerships with expensive cars hanging off both ends of the truck with limited turning ability.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69748/IMG_20180620_185904_01_jpg-926357.JPG
View Quote
Tail swing? What tail swing?

Nice rig.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I look forward to self driving truck races. The 69mph truck can race the 69.8 mph truck on the interstate for miles. In Atlanta they have truck lane restrictions.  You don't know fun until you have 4 wide trucks at 67 mph
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#25]
We don't even have fully automated trains, I doubt we'll see automated semis for a long time.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ha, yep, that’s it!

Blind side 90 degree shot, two lane one way street with cars usually parked on both sides of the street. Also factor in the walkway ramp to the left of that car in the dock. It’s even worse than it looks.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157991/C0906DDD-09BC-4EA0-83AB-66CCE1790DA6_jpeg-926417.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157991/D874CA52-BA7A-46BB-A855-F57350B67249_jpeg-926418.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/86631/Capture_JPG-926340.JPG

Ha, yep, that’s it!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157991/C0906DDD-09BC-4EA0-83AB-66CCE1790DA6_jpeg-926417.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/157991/D874CA52-BA7A-46BB-A855-F57350B67249_jpeg-926418.JPG
Can you not pull through the alley (from the far side), straight out into the road, and straight back into the dock?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We don't even have fully automated trains, I doubt we'll see automated semis for a long time.
View Quote
Most truckers aren't union.

Railroad is kind of a bad example - the whole system is obsolete.  You might be right regardless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
The other day a semi hit a piece of steel that punctured the refrigerator tank and dribbled diesel for 10 miles before i/we able to flag it down in a POV. It lost the last gallon after it stopped. The  cargo would have lost by the time they figured it out. A self driving truck is just a runway train when things aren’t normal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Can you not pull through the alley (from the far side), straight out into the road, and straight back into the dock?
View Quote
Negative. Even if I could get into that alley from the other side (and fit down the alley), there’s nowhere to straighten out enough to approach like that.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:21:52 PM EDT
[#30]
The word Concept when it is used in relation to introducing a new product directly translates to "This will absolutely, positively never be built"
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Seems to me, IF, autonomous vehicles become a reality...
They would all need dedicated lanes between major cities & hubs.
They'll never make it on some slumgullion ridge gravel road in BFE.
That's a whole lot of highway infrastructure that doesn't exist..
They can't automate trains, subways etc. but this is gonna work out fine.
Right!! I got a buck tree fiddy in my pocket to invest in this horseshit.
Bottom Line:
We're fucked spending big bux on something that ain't gonna work.
Another hundred years of technological advances and taxing the shit out of all of us to force the issue.
Well then....maybe...
I'll be dead & gone by that time so NFG
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/69748/IMG_20180620_185904_01_jpg-926357.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you're probably right.
I pride myself on my ability to put big trailers in tight places, but you're correct.

No need for a rolling parking lots when cars can deliver themselves...
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:25:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Its perfect market timing. Freight has increase, driver cost has increased, and regulation has increased. Those autonomous pullers can run between hubs 24/7 and have drivers finish off the last few miles of delivery. Drivers worth a damn will still be pulling hazmat, tankers, end dumps, flatbeds, etc.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:30:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Can't be worse than the pair of Pakis in a pumpkin spending 40 minutes trying to bump a dock I get to deal with.

Autonomous trucks replace the lowest rungs of truck driver employment and human drivers do what they autonomous vehicles can't.  Simple solution.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:50:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think that is more of a union thing . Trains are essentially auto pilot with a man monitoring the systems.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
China has automated trains. It's a first world thing, Anglos need not apply.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Nobody noticed that it was also electric?  The crazy in that has the self driving part beat.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:37:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Figure a decade of absolutely pristine Level 4 automation (full automation with human on board) success before legislation would even think about allowing Level 5.

Call it 2020 as we sit with slightly sketchy Level 2 and 3.

2030 Level 4?

2040 Level 5?
View Quote
According to Elon Musk, all Teslas made after Oct 2018 have all the hardware needed for Level 5, and will be doing Level 4 late this year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:57:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I think that is more of a union thing . Trains are essentially auto pilot with a man monitoring the systems.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lol. No.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top