Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/13/2019 7:14:04 PM EDT
I need to oil a baseball glove. Can I use gun oil such as CLP? Ballastol? Valvoline?

UPDATE: I used Vaseline, which worked fine, except that this glove went years without oiling or conditioning and, although it’s softer and closes nicely, it’s shedding quite a bit of leather.

I picked up this glove several years ago, can’t recall why, never used it, sat in the garage.

New question: does anyone besides Nokona make gloves in America? I stopped by a local sporting goods store and, while the X2-1275 (kangaroo) and their Classic Walnut W-1275 are very nice, comfortable gloves, they seem heavier than others and cost $300+.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Use some Lexol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Pecard oil
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Neatsfoot oil
stick a baseball in the pocket wrap it up in a clean rag and put some pressure on it for a couple of days...
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:21:45 PM EDT
[#4]
nut coal oil
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You don’t want to use oils not formulated for leather. They will speed the decomposition.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]
NO.

Use mink oil or mink paste is my favorite. $3 Academy sports.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use some Lexol.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Just use glove oil.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Vasoline
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The synthetic leather oils are better, they won't rot or disintegrate in your leather goods. You could probably get by with some gun oils but most will turn your weather hard.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:48:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nokona Baseball Glove Conditioner is what you seek.
View Quote
Nokona makes a great product for baseball gloves.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Vasoline
View Quote
Just no.  OP, how "good" of a glove is it's?  And how long do you expect it to last?  I have a few pretty good gloves, and use only Lexol.  DO NOT use Vaseline. DO NOT dunk it in water.  Use Lexol cleaner and a soft toothbrush to clean it, and Lexol conditioner once it dries. Always keep a ball in it, and always wear a batting glove on you glove hand while wearing it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:55:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Ballistol works great on leather, but I mainly use Obenauf's.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Saddle Soap.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Saddle soap or glove oil
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:06:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Different kind of oil, use an oil you would use for skin, because it's skin. Go to walmart and go to the shoe section and get whatever boot oil they have, that will be fine. If you want nicer stuff buy Pecards, or 100% mink oil, etc.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Vasoline
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Neatsfoot oil
stick a baseball in the pocket wrap it up in a clean rag and put some pressure on it for a couple of days...
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Ok, I’ll spend $5 on proper oil. Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just no.  OP, how "good" of a glove is it's?  And how long do you expect it to last?  I have a few pretty good gloves, and use only Lexol.  DO NOT use Vaseline. DO NOT dunk it in water.  Use Lexol cleaner and a soft toothbrush to clean it, and Lexol conditioner once it dries. Always keep a ball in it, and always wear a batting glove on you glove hand while wearing it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vasoline
long before nakona, glovolium, or other mfg's sold glove oils, vasoline was the go to for most MLB players. I've been using it on all my gloves since the late 70's and haven't had any issues with cracking or drying out of the leather.

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why on Earth would Vaseline or petroleum jelly be a problem? Millions of gloves have been broken in that way without issue. It softens leather and repels water as well as anything else.

Just for kicks, I decided to Google it and see if I had been missing something my whole life. All I could find were youth sports organizations, manufacturers, and vintage baseball glove forums (didn't even know that was a thing) recommending it. Nothing negative at all.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Use Lexol products once the season ends for storage.  Pecard during the season.

My cooper gloves from the 80s and 90s are still good and they saw many years of heavy use.

If it is a shit glove and you don't care about long term use, then just use the rawlings or wilson brand oil to break it in and condition it every once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I need to oil a baseball glove. Can I use gun oil such as CLP? Ballastol? Valvoline?
View Quote
White foam shaving cream.

You’re welcome.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 8:44:41 PM EDT
[#25]
My dad used Neatsfoot oil on his catcher's mitt since the late 1950's when he bought it.  I used it in the late 60's in little league for a year/season.  Darn thing still looks good as hell.  I've got it in a box upstairs along with our other baseball gloves (dad's and brothers' and mine)
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Saddle Soap.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

long before nakona, glovolium, or other mfg's sold glove oils, vasoline was the go to for most MLB players. I've been using it on all my gloves since the late 70's and haven't had any issues with cracking or drying out of the leather.

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/74647587.jpg
View Quote
Quoted:

Why on Earth would Vaseline or petroleum jelly be a problem? Millions of gloves have been broken in that way without issue. It softens leather and repels water as well as anything else.

Just for kicks, I decided to Google it and see if I had been missing something my whole life. All I could find were youth sports organizations, manufacturers, and vintage baseball glove forums (didn't even know that was a thing) recommending it. Nothing negative at all.
View Quote
Oh, it'll work.  And it'll break the glove in quick.  MLB players get three or four $400 gloves a year, so they'll use anything they can for a quick break - in. Soaking a glove in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a few minutes and working the leather works for them too, but they really don't care about the longevity of their gloves.  @zepp, (btw - not wrong) I'm sure that your glove form the 70's looks great the the leather is still supple. I'd like to know the difference in weight of the glove from when new to today.

My son had a glove made for him by Bob Clevenhagen. Bob told me to use nothing but Lexol on it.  If you don't know who Bob is, goggle him.  I'll take his advice on baseball gloves, thank you.

edit - for all of those saying saddle soap - that's fine for cleaning, but it's not a conditioner - it's soap. You need something after that.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was a kid I used 3n1 oil
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Oh, it'll work.  And it'll break the glove in quick.  MLB players get three or four $400 gloves a year, so they'll use anything they can for a quick break - in. Soaking a glove in a 5 gallon bucket of water for a few minutes and working the leather works for them too, but they really don't care about the longevity of their gloves.  @zepp, (btw - not wrong) I'm sure that your glove form the 70's looks great the the leather is still supple. I'd like to know the difference in weight of the glove from when new to today.

My son had a glove made for him by Bob Clevenhagen. Bob told me to use nothing but Lexol on it.  If you don't know who Bob is, goggle him.  I'll take his advice on baseball gloves, thank you.

edit - for all of those saying saddle soap - that's fine for cleaning, but it's not a conditioner - it's soap. You need something after that.
View Quote
The notion about vasoline making the glove heavier is BS, you are only applying a small layer.. When I gave up baseball and turned to softball (around 1986) I bought a Rawlings Pro H Heart of the hide discounted for $240.
We traveled and played tournaments and fall and summer leagues totaling about 150 games a year in all kinds of weather. I would apply vasoline about 6-8 times a year and used that same glove for about 20+ years with no noticeable difference in weight. The quality of the glove has a lot to do with it's durability.
When rawlings stopped producing their Heart of the Hide gloves in the USA, I found a distributor who still had a bunch of the USA made models and bought 3 more
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:44:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Soak it in a bucket of warm water get it really wet, like one hour soak.
Then take it out dry off some play catch for another hour.
But a ball on it massage all around with your hand still in it. Then carefully remove hand wrap it up in a plastic bag
overnight.
Next day or so take out and play more catch work it with a ball and massage it it will be stiff at first. Then it will get supple
and in a short time it will fit YOUR hand and the ball
Let it dry keep putting your hand ball in it and massage all around
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The notion about vasoline making the glove heavier is BS, you are only applying a small layer.. When I gave up baseball and turned to softball (around 1986) I bought a Rawlings Pro H Heart of the hide discounted for $240.
We traveled and played tournaments and fall and summer leagues totaling about 150 games a year in all kinds of weather. I would apply vasoline about 6-8 times a year and used that same glove for about 20+ years with no noticeable difference in weight. The quality of the glove has a lot to do with it's durability.
When rawlings stopped producing their Heart of the Hide gloves in the USA, I found a distributor who still had a bunch of the USA made models and bought 3 more
View Quote
A small layer that's absorbed into the glove six to eight times a year over 20 years will certainly add weight.  Let's agree to disagree about the weight

Between my son and I, we have seven USA HoH gloves, plus the one Bob made at the St Louis Custom Shop.  You do your thing and I'll do mine.  I'll continue to follow Bob's advice.

OP, want to break it in really quick?  Oil it with whatever you have (Wesson cooking oil will work too), place a ball in the pocket, tie it tight and put it on your dashboard on a hot day. When the leather is hot, go play catch.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:49:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You’re welcome.

Chris
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re welcome.

Chris
This is correct. With lanolin.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:51:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/74647587.jpg
Quoted:

Fair enough. But saying "Just no" and "DO NOT use Vaseline" makes it sound like vasoline will ruin a glove. That's a pretty big difference from "it'll work" and "it'll break a glove in quick".

That's like telling someone here "DO NOT use Hoppes Lubricating Oil", because Travis Haley likes Froglube. Maybe there's something a little better, but it's oil, not rocket science.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Neatsfoot oil
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nokona Baseball Glove Conditioner is what you seek.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 9:56:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A small layer that's absorbed into the glove six to eight times a year over 20 years will certainly add weight.  Let's agree to disagree about the weight

Between my son and I, we have seven USA HoH gloves, plus the one Bob made at the St Louis Custom Shop.  You do your thing and I'll do mine.  I'll continue to follow Bob's advice.

OP, want to break it in really quick?  Oil it with whatever you have (Wesson cooking oil will work too), place a ball in the pocket, tie it tight and put it on your dashboard on a hot day. When the leather is hot, go play catch.  Good luck!
View Quote
That's just my rawlings, I didn't get into my A2000's A3000s A2800's or Nokona's,Mizunos,or Murrucis
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Fair enough. But saying "Just no" and "DO NOT use Vaseline" makes it sound like vasoline will ruin a glove. That's a pretty big difference from "it'll work" and "it'll break a glove in quick".

That's like telling someone here "DO NOT use Hoppes Lubricating Oil", because Travis Haley likes Froglube. Maybe there's something a little better, but it's oil, not rocket science.
View Quote
My opinion, along with the opinion of others who know baseball gloves a hellava lot more than you and I, will say DO NOT use Vaseline. Did you google the guy I posted above?  He's one of two people that were ever named a Master Glovemaker by Rawlings.  When Derek Jeter needed a glove, he went and met with Bob and Bob designed his glove for him. The commercial model is the PRODJ2.  Do what you want - it's not my glove.

edit - spelling
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That's just my rawlings, I didn't get into my A2000's A3000s A2800's or Nokona's,Mizunos,or Murrucis
View Quote
Sounds like you have a lot of nice leather. When you put them all together, they must weigh a TON
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#39]
I also like Snow Seal on my winter boots...dog licks mink oil...
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:25:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Neatsfoot oil
that was my old man's way from back in the 20's
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:26:03 PM EDT
[#41]
My grandad taught me to use mink oil on baseball gloves
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:26:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Neatsfoot oil
View Quote
Neatsfoot Oil-

Growing up this was the solution to break in a baseball glove and still is——
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:28:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Astroglide. If it's good enough for the Astros, it's plenty good for you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Neatsfoot oil
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:34:53 PM EDT
[#45]
stick the glove in the dishwasher on the dry cycle and then when it's done, you put Vaseline all over the inside and beat it with a mallet.  will be fine
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:43:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Saddle soap or Lexol cleaner to clean, Obenauf's, mink oil, sno-seal, or Lexol conditioner to condition the leather. My ball playing days are past but this made my Wilsons, Mizunos, and Nokonas happy. I'm sure my base of knowledge is far less than many here but I did play 2-3  competitive leagues every year for ten years and a single league for a few years on either side of that.

FWIW my favorite leather conditioners now are Red Wing boot oil and Obenauf's.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Ballistol
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#48]
My A2000 from 1979-vasoline only

now A2000 from 2015 that I am repairing for a friend and he used glove oil

I guess bagdad Bob is correct about that snake oil. 40 years apposed to 4 years
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:50:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
NO.

Use mink oil or mink paste is my favorite. $3 Academy sports.
View Quote
Still have my heavily used glove from the mid 90s...it was thoroughly coated in mink oil back then. Just took it out recently and it's still in great shape.

This stuff is sold for gloves(probably the same as others but ?)

Link Posted: 5/13/2019 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Use the glove.
If it’s too stiff lay it on the driveway and beat the hell out of it with a bat.
Nicer gloves have softer leather in the web and “joints” and aren’t bad to use off the shelf.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top