$2500 or whatever?

ETA: they are saying 4K in that thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
As a $500 surplus rifle they were cool. As a $2500 or whatever they will go for rifle it's pretty steep for Cold War nostalgia.
$500 surplus rifle?
$2500 or whatever?

ETA: they are saying 4K in that thread.
Fuck. That.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#2]
IN!

@ridgedaddy
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:46:09 PM EDT
[#3]
For $87 I would. For $4k? No way in hell.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Which might be?...... follow me here SDM type role?
View Quote
As hard as this might be for you to believe...

The Soviets had both traditional snipers and DM....

80% of all sniping during World War II took place inside 400 meters.
I believe 95% inside 600 meters.

The rifle was designed to fill both rolls...
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Take my money.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Want!
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

As hard as this might be for you to believe...

The Soviets had both traditional snipers and DM.... (Please cite this)

80% of all sniping during World War II took place inside 400 meters.
I believe 95% inside 600 meters. (I bet they were)

The rifle was designed to fill both rolls..
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
starting price will be almost $5k without the scope......

While that will make some people puke, they will likely sell
out very fast at that.

Currently real Russian SVDs run North of $10,000......

These are investments......not rifles.....
View Quote
How much higher can that ceiling go?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Lol @ guys thinking a limited run of SVDs would be cheaper than most good AKs and BIG LOL @ guys pretending these rifles are built to compete for practicality against any rifle available in the US instead of being collector pieces

They will sell every single one of them and a good number will immediately be thrown up on gun broker for a very healthy profit
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
PSA should make these.

I would buy 2.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:22:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a $500 surplus rifle they were cool. As a $2500 or whatever they will go for rifle it's pretty steep for Cold War nostalgia.
View Quote
LMAO arfcom never disappoints with moron posts.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How much higher can that ceiling go?
View Quote
How much higher can MGs go? There's no real ceiling for something so prolific and of such limited supply
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:24:16 PM EDT
[#13]
You are welcome to drop one off at my place.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:25:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I am going down to the safe and hug my $450 PSL.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Russian Tiger SVDs go for $5-7k
Chinese NDMs go for $5 to 8k
Russian KBI SVDs go for $15 to 25k
Russian bring back SVD go for $22k

Arfcom thinks they go for $800

Goddamn we got some retards around here.

Go be poor somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:27:41 PM EDT
[#16]
$4k? Lolololololol

I wouldn’t have done $2500 either...
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd love to have one!... Or at least shoot one.

For now, I'll stick to my x54r trashcan gun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I didn’t even realize FEG made Dragunov style rifles?

If they did, do you know what happened to theirs?

@TX-Zen
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
starting price will be almost $5k without the scope......

While that will make some people puke, they will likely sell
out very fast at that.

Currently real Russian SVDs run North of $10,000......

These are investments......not rifles.....
View Quote
They'd have to be, 2-3 moa isnt that expensive.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:35:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/Bwnq1R3/46-A5-E35-C-E865-40-BE-9-DB4-C5-A70-CA537-C5.jpg
View Quote
I turned my x54 into a "VEPRnov". Yeah, still need the correct muzzle device but these weren't threaded. Will fix it someday.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:38:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Wood FO! ......at around $1000.
Definetly not at over $2k
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you not find $500 PSL's cool or do you think a reproduction of a collectible rifle that costs more than a 50BMG is not a steep price for nostalgia?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Coincidentally, I have been doing some research on Dragonovs recently, after a Blackwater guy said they used the local stuff, and this announcement is interesting, but what I've learned is that 7.62R ammo isn't cheap here anymore and is subject to sanctions at any time, and match grade snipey type ammo is make your own. Shit mil ammo in a spam can isn't all that great even in a pricey  snipey style rifle.

As far as investment material, I think the demographic that wants this dying off fast, and I don't see it going up much, if at all, in the future, but I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:43:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Shit ergos, not that accurate, long as a fucking RPK, poor ammo selection, exhorbitant price. What's not to love?
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://i.ibb.co/Bwnq1R3/46-A5-E35-C-E865-40-BE-9-DB4-C5-A70-CA537-C5.jpg
View Quote
You can buy the furniture from Atlantic and really dress that Vepr up nicely.
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had a couple of the Chicom SVD’s in .308. Cool factor was off the charts.  They were solid shooters with good ammo.

But I just never kept them more than a year or so. I eventually decided collector guns just weren’t my thing. The mags for the .308 guns were stupid expensive (if you even found one for sale). The complete absence of repair parts was another concern when you have that much money tied up in something.

I’d jump on another SVD for a sane price. But I have no illusion it will ever happen lol
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:04:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I turned my x54 into a "VEPRnov". Yeah, still need the correct muzzle device but these weren't threaded. Will fix it someday.
https://i.imgur.com/EzwjOJh.jpg
View Quote
Yours didn't come threaded? Mine is 14x1mm LH. I don't plan on throwing any muzzle devices on it though, so I can stay 922r compliant.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:04:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you not find $500 PSL's cool or do you think a reproduction of a collectible rifle that costs more than a 50BMG is not a steep price for nostalgia?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
PSLs aren’t SVDs. No point in even bringing a $500 PSL into a thread about SVDs. Very different guns. They just sort of look alike.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:09:10 AM EDT
[#30]
They were saying it would be about 5k give or take. So I'm out lol. Bring in a PKM in semi though.

I hope they succeed in all honesty. We need more original AKs and soviet era firearms. And hopefully that all leads to a semi auto PKM.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:20:37 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd love to have one.  As to price-point, people seem to have some pretty 1990's level memories on pricing.  For a small-production semi-auto military class rifle; you can't compare that to the production costs of a PSA AR10.  This is more along the lines of comparable to something like a Steyr AUG; which with integrated optics, is a $2k rifle.  More then that, since the AUG is the milder 5.56 round, with mostly aluminum and plastic construction (i.e. cheaper to machine).  And they sell every single one they make, about as fast as they make them.

For an SVD; relatively small scale production for civilian market; all milled steel construction, with wood components and optics - $2500 is about as low as you could reasonably ask.  $3k is actually about right for something like that, in 2019.

$4k is a bit high, and riding the nostalgia premium.  They'll get it, but probably not from me.  It's an odd-ball round and not that accurate of a rifle.  But it is very very cool.  If I could find one for $3k with the scope, I'd consider it; as that's actually a pretty reasonable ask for what it would take to make that rifle in 2019.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Purrrritty much this.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#33]
I'd be interested @ $1200
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:37:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Anyone who doesn’t agree with this (or even know it by default) has no business even entering a thread about Dragunov SVDs or their clones. So many morons here who just think it’s a stretched Kalashnikov and should be priced accordingly.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm just here for the laughs at people saying they would pay $800. Just like arf truck threads where people want a 4x4 3/4 ton for not a penny more than 20k.

Also laughing at how people think a PSL is a SVD or how a SVD is a big AK.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:05:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Soviets had both traditional snipers and DM.... (Please cite this)
View Quote
You had Platoon level DM who were typically the best shots in their unit.
They were handed an SVD, received some additional marksmanship training
and acted as a support element in their platoon. Typical conscript.

But you had actual dedicated snipers in the Spetsnaz and Recon units. Why would
you think the Soviets would abandon sniping after being the world leaders from
the 1930s through World War II?

Here is an excerpt from an interview I did with a Soviet Afghan vet who had served
in the Spetsnaz as a sniper.

Gunwritr: Did you receive any special training prior to your deployment?

Andrei:  Yes,  mostly ambush, mining, and demining.  Also sniper training for me personally, and mountain training as well.  This lasted for three months.

When I wore the clothes of a younger man I wrote extensively on the SVD, its optic and ammunition. I have been friends with
the Dragunov family for not quite 20 years and was privileged to be allowed to write their family history. Mikhail Dragunov actually
writes for me...
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:08:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I didn't even realize FEG made Dragunov style rifles?

If they did, do you know what happened to theirs?

@TX-Zen
View Quote
Not off the top of my head no, not sure where theirs went
@C-4
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:17:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
this is why no one takes you seriously
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:26:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I didn’t even realize FEG made Dragunov style rifles?
View Quote
Ummm......who said they did previously......
or....how much of these rifles are Soviet era guns
and how much is new made "FEG" is the better
question...
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 2:48:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, $2500 doesn't sound that crazy...
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:12:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Anyone who doesn’t agree with this (or even know it by default) has no business even entering a thread about Dragunov SVDs or their clones. So many morons here who just think it’s a stretched Kalashnikov and should be priced accordingly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except this is none of those.

This is a new and unproven rifle, from a manufacturer that hasn't made an SVD in serial production before, let alone a modified version, and is apparently on shaky footing.

Without reading through the whole thread at the link I don't even see any mention if this is a short throw piston system like a real SVD or a long throw piston like the knock-off PSL. From what I did see, this isn't even an exact clone but has "improvements" made.

I have a tack driving .308 OBR that cost almost half what this, a relatively inaccurate rifle in its original form, is listed as costing. Sorry, but wouldn't even give this a second look at anything above $1500 with a PSO scope.

I haven't been heavy into AKs for a long while but have always wanted an SVD. However, the reason I don't own one is because they're fairly mediocre rifles and only priced at what they are because of fixed supply only really valuable to collectors so, I've never been able to justify dropping the money on one. No matter how you dress it up, it is in no way, shape, or form a a $4k rifle, nor would it ever be with a relatively open supply.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is a new and unproven rifle, from a manufacturer that hasn't made an SVD in serial production before, let alone a modified version, and is apparently on shaky footing.

Without reading through the whole thread at the link I don't even see any mention if this is a short throw piston system like a real SVD or a long throw piston like the knock-off PSL. From what I did see, this isn't even an exact clone but has "improvements" made.

I have a tack driving .308 OBR that cost almost half what this, a relatively inaccurate rifle in its original form, is listed as costing. Sorry, but wouldn't even give this a second look at anything above $1500 with a PSO scope.

I haven't been heavy into AKs for a long while but have always wanted an SVD. However, the reason I don't own one is because they're fairly mediocre rifles and only priced at what they are because of fixed supply only really valuable to collectors so, I've never been able to justify dropping the money on one. No matter how you dress it up, it is in no way, shape, or form a a $4k rifle, nor would it ever be with a relatively open supply.
View Quote
It is an SVD clone though, so it is actually exactly one of the options you mentioned

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that a brand new SVD costs about 2400 euro in Europe. That's about $2900 on the open market outside of the US where they are actually reasonably popular. Is FEG going to charge too much for theirs? Maybe, but we can't get the real deal Russians anyway so the price in Europe is not obtainable anyway. We have to pay whatever FEG is going to charge

Also, I can't understand what your opinion of the rifle's performance has to do with how much it costs to make and sell. I also said a Remington 700 will outshoot most high end semi auto's including the SVD...but what does that have to do with anything?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:24:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
It is an SVD clone though, so it is actually exactly one of the options you mentioned

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that a brand new SVD costs about 2400 euro in Europe. That's about $2900 on the open market

Also, I can't understand what your opinion of the rifle's performance has to do with how much it costs to make and sell. I also said a Remington 700 will outshoot most high end semi auto's including the SVD...but what does that have to do with anything?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that a brand new SVD costs about 2400 euro in Europe. That's about $2900 on the open market

Just my $0.02 and worth exactly what you paid for it. More power to the folks willing to pony up the money for one but you wouldn't find me among them.

At the end of the day, while it is cool, it's still just a clone of a fairly mediocre rifle.

ETA: If they're making a clone, they should openly include a pretty important bit of info like details on the gas system besides it being "adjustable".

ETA2: Is that $2900 for a legit Russian SVD from the same factory that's been making them for almost 60 years and has production down pat? If so I could kind of see that being worth the selling price.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for cluing us in.
I dumped $2,200 on a .308 NDM-86 when they came in, but sold it when cash was tight.
This won't be cheap, it won't be an uber-precision tack driver...but I don't care.
I do have somewhat of a collector's mind set as far as my guns are concerned, I miss the NDM I sold, there will be a certain cool-factor to it, and you only go around once...so fuck it.
I joined that site just to get my spot in line...that whole passing-window-of-opportunity thing.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:45:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

I wouldn't pay more than $750-1,000 for a new one.  And that would be pushing it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 3:48:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
No one here really "thinks" they go for $800.  What people have said is that they'd be willing to pay $800.

You're right about there being retards here, unfortunately, you seem to be one of them because you can't read.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Just my $0.02 and worth exactly what you paid for it. More power to the folks willing to pony up the money for one but you wouldn't find me among them.

At the end of the day, while it is cool, it's still just a clone of a fairly mediocre rifle.

ETA: If they're making a clone, they should openly include a pretty important bit of info like details on the gas system besides it being "adjustable".

ETA2: Is that $2900 for a legit Russian SVD from the same factory that's been making them for almost 60 years and has production down pat? If so I could kind of see that being worth the selling price.
View Quote
An SVD has an adjustable gas system, and if it's a clone it will work the same way as the original. Not sure what they need to clarify on that but I suppose if I wasn't familiar with the rifle I guess I'd want them to say it was an exact copy (I think that must be what you are getting at)

Side note, as far as it being a mediocre rifle, I think it all depends on the ammo. Every AK owner believes their guns are sub moa but I must be the one guy who doesn't own a sub moa AK. All my 5.45 guns are 2-3" inches at best

And I can't speak for every SVD and every shooter out there either but in my personal experience my own 54R NDM86 shot .93" with handloads. My 54R Tiger shoots about 1.25 to 1.5 inch groups with 7N1. My friend has a Tiger that shoots the same with 7N1. My old .308 NDM86 shot .74" with 168gr Winchester Ballistic Silver Tips

I didn't have that kind of accuracy with surplus ammo or non match grade ammo. I think the SVD gets a bad rap because NATO says it's a 2 MOA gun, and then guys will grab a PSL and shoot 54R surplus through it and get crap groups. Everyone seems to assume that because the SVD shoots the same caliber it must also be crap. Everyone may be right though, I can only say what I have personally seen with my own eyes

I've also found that the Russian Tigers seem to be more consistently accurate than the 54R NDM86s I've owned or shot and are more tolerant of ammo types as well. I'm not sure why but it's a trend I have personally witnessed. I've never seen one myself but I have a few friends with KBI Russian SVDs who claim they hover around 1.5" groups. Based on the performance I've seen out of Russian Tiger I don't see why that wouldn't be true

But again mediocre is a relative statement. If you do your research on ammo you might find the SVD can turn out some surprising groups. Sub MOA all day long? Doubtful...but what's the practical difference between a 1.5" group and a sub MOA group out to 500 or 600 meters?
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Were they ever that low? They were never really something I paid attnetion to in the time of $87 SKS's.

I'd consider a new one today if they were in the $1500 or below range.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

$500 surplus rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

$500 surplus rifle?
Quoted:

Were they ever that low? They were never really something I paid attnetion to in the time of $87 SKS's.

I'd consider a new one today if they were in the $1500 or below range.
Yes. I can still see in my mind, the Mitchell's ad in the Shotgun News, back in the early 90's. I wavered between one of those and
the .308 Yugo AK's for a long time, them they were gone .

I'm glad I did pick up a few SVT 40's for $225 though
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
AK pattern rifle?

Hard pass.
View Quote
No
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top