Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2019 12:51:14 PM EDT

Yup, there was once a time when 5.11 wasn't a thing. They were Royal Robbins and I still have brand new never worn pants from way back. These are circa '00 to '04. I literally have a mountain of 5.11 pants, both before and after 5.11 spun off and became their own thing.

Originally marketed for climbers and hikers, the FBI started buying them when they realized they're better thanthe USGI BDUs of the era. Then the LE market was born.. Yes, I use them for work. After all these years they're still comfy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a few pairs.  Also a few of the Taclights and Strykes.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't know that 5.11 was spun off from Royal Robbins.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#4]
That was a really ghey name.  They changed it for the better for sure
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it's an interesting story. You start out general and adapt to what you excel in and demand is highest in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:26:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Little known fact:

The term “5.11” originated in the technical rock climbing world.  The Yosemite Decimal System grades the relative difficulty of a particular climbing route.  It encompasses walking (class 1-2), scrambling (class 3-4), and roped climbing.  Class 5 is subdivided into parts, currently 5.0 to 5.15.

Back in the day Royal Robbins was a hard ass climber with first ascents of numerous El Cap big wall routes and the direct NW Face of Half Dome among others.  He also popularized “clean climbing” which eschewed the use of rock damaging pitons.

At the time of Royal’s climbing heyday, 5.11 was a difficult benchmark.  Only a few climbers possessed the ability and vision to ascend routes of that grade.

And now you know...
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
He's a rock climber that started both 5.11, and the company that bears his name.

The 5.11 name in based on/inspired by the Yosemite Decimal System of grading route difficulty.

ETA: Beat.  I'll also add, I always thought that 5.10 was a related company, but it's not.  They're owned by Addidas now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Remember when Under Armor was first a law enforcement product?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Royal Robbins is the name of the founder of the company. He was a famous rock climber. He named his pants after the highest rock climbing difficulty level that was listed in the Yosemite Decimal System at Yosemite National Park. Which Robbins developed in the 1950s.

Quoted:

I think it's an interesting story. You start out general and adapt to what you excel in and demand is highest in.
Dan Costa bought the entire company in 2002 and ended up selling Royal Robbins Clothing back to Robbins in 2003, but kept the 5.11 Tactical brand and spun off a whole new company called 511 Inc. Partnering with the FBI, Dan Costa and his co-partner Francisco Morales began creating additional tactical apparel and improving on the existing line. In 2006 5.11 Tactical was ranked No. 211 on Inc. magazine's list of the 500 fastest- growing companies in the nation.

TA Associates, a Boston private equity firm, bought a majority stake in 5.11 Tactical for $305 million in 2007.

In 2012, 5.11 Tactical purchased Seattle-based custom outdoor apparel brand, Beyond Clothing LLC, for an undisclosed amount.

Royal Robbins is still in business as a clothing line separate from 5.11 right now.

https://www.royalrobbins.com/
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
He's a rock climber that started both 5.11, and the company that bears his name.

The 5.11 name in based on/inspired by the Yosemite Decimal System of grading route difficulty.

ETA: Beat.  I'll also add, I always thought that 5.10 was a related company, but it's not.  They're owned by Addidas now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BEAT like a rented mule

So both of these guys

Attachment Attached File

And this guy

Attachment Attached File

Have way more in common than it may seem.

Btw 5.11 pants suck for climbing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
prAna?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
prAna?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

prAna?
Don’t think I’ve ever owned any.   Unless there is rain, snow or something else going on, I’m just wearing what I’m wearing.  Jeans, carharts (for desert climbing) or whatever rando target pants my wife got for me.

I can say definitively that the 2-3 diff types of 5.11 pants I’ve worn climbing or on a SAR, have chafed the hell out of my junk area.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's news to me.  And I'm wearing RR pants right now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Robbins, Frost, et al, were badass men.

There are a number of Robbins routes out there that have mandatory free climbing sections that will put you in your place, even with modern climbing shoes and cams.  The photography of the day just didn't show it … because when they were doing fist ascents, no human had ever been there, or above.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 2:19:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty sure that grab handle on the back pocket isn't a grab handle either.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
prAna?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

prAna?
prAna is great, but most pants with a gusseted crotch will do.  Except 5.11.  5.11 pants defy physics.  They have a lot of the features found in climbing pants, and yet they suck for climbing.  I think it has to do with excess bulk in the waist to support heavy belts, and too many seams and stitching around the knees that just seem to cause binding when high stepping.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Depending upon which story you believe, it's either to clip one's carabiners on to, or to keeper to prevent beer bottle[s] from escaping.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

BEAT like a rented mule

So both of these guys

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241310/24286444-F28E-4C25-A6DB-CEC0EF47CA0E_jpeg-966580.JPG

And this guy

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241310/1AFBB218-3034-40D5-8336-F53B70EDF8EE_jpeg-966582.JPG

Have way more in common than it may seem.

View Quote
WTF am I going to climb in Florida? Mount Trashmore?

I use them for work pants.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Depending upon which story you believe, it's either to clip one's carabiners on to, or to keeper to prevent beer bottle[s] from escaping.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use it to carabiner work gloves when I'm on hurricane duty.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Same. I still have and use my Royal Robbins from 2000ish. I recently threw the khaki into a vat of o d Dylon to darken them up a little.??
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
Royal Robbins was a dedicated mountain climber. That’s when I bought my first pair in the 70’s when I was a wanna be mountain climber. They were great work pants then as now.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/89I1Kmx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/hyxgwRA.jpg

Yup, there was once a time when 5.11 wasn't a thing. They were Royal Robbins and I still have brand new never worn pants from way back. These are circa '00 to '04. I literally have a mountain of 5.11 pants, both before and after 5.11 spun off and became their own thing.

Originally marketed for climbers and hikers, the FBI started buying them when they realized they're better thanthe USGI BDUs of the era. Then the LE market was born.. Yes, I use them for work. After all these years they're still comfy.
View Quote
Well, if you still wear a 34" waist that would make you a fucking unicorn around this place.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, if you still wear a 34" waist that would make you a fucking unicorn around this place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I do and a 34" waist for me is fat.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Fun fact. An Agent's wife worked for Royal Robbins. Somehow that was the hook that got them to be "range pants" at the academy in the mid 90's. Scores of fresh faced newly minted G Men were then the envy of all their task force brethren. And the rest is history.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#25]
If one is into climbing, 5.11 then...

For serious use, I recommend the Tru-Spec 24-7 cotton canvas. Pockets in the right places, 4 internal M4 mag pouches, internal knee pouches, and in my experience last longer than 5.11's....

ymmv
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For serious use, I recommend the Tru-Spec 24-7 cotton canvas. Pockets in the right places, 4 internal M4 mag pouches, internal knee pouches, and in my experience last longer than 5.11's....

ymmv
View Quote
I'm still wearing pants I bought back in the early 2000s. How much longer should I expect pants to last?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Remember when Under Armor was first a law enforcement product?
View Quote
Pretty sure it started out as sports gear, by a sports guy...
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm still wearing pants I bought back in the early 2000s. How much longer should I expect pants to last?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ymmv
Maybe he's wearing the same OD camouflage Tru-Spec pants that he wore in Korea back in the 50's?
And yeah, I've got 5.11 pants that I wore 10-15 years ago that are still good to wear. My gut, though, not so much.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#29]
dupe
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:43:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I keep 10 pairs of tru-spec cotton canvas 24-7's on hand. 7 are used thru out the week. 2 to 3 hour range trips 5 days a week. Plus I wear them for yard work and clearing woods areas. Kneeling, prone, standing. 5.11's lasted about a year. Washing and constant kneeling wore out knee areas. The pant's bottom hems started threading after two months.

The Tru-Specs take a year or more before they start showing any wear.

If one just goes to the range and only stands, 5.11's would work fine. For serious hard core use, I choose Tru-Spec.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't have any new ones left, but I bought some Royal Robbins Half Dome pants from Sierra Trading Post on closeout in 2006 for $9/pair that are still going strong. The only differences I've seen from the current standard 5.11 pants is the magazine pocket (or whatever the hell it was originally designed for) is on the right side rather than left, and there's a line of horizontal stitching on the left rear pocket so your wallet doesn't drop down so low.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I keep 10 pairs of tru-spec cotton canvas 24-7's on hand. 7 are used thru out the week. 2 to 3 hour range trips 5 days a week. Plus I wear them for yard work and clearing woods areas. Kneeling, prone, standing. 5.11's lasted about a year. Washing and constant kneeling wore out knee areas. The pant's bottom hems started threading after two months.

If one just goes to the range and only stands, 5.11's would work fine. For serious hard core use, I choose Tru-Spec.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use mine for work. So everyday wear, training, hurricane duty, arrests, etc...
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have all of mine from 2000ish, but I'm certainly not able to fit in all of them. Any with a ripped crotch through both layers became rags, which was more than a couple pairs. But they're the only pants I wear besides suits, so I'm digging in the flowers, shooting, working on vehicles, at the office, etc, all in the same pairs. I usually buy three pairs a year to keep looking nicer for work, all get washed inside-out to preserve the edge coloration per the instructions.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
prAna is great, but most pants with a gusseted crotch will do.  Except 5.11.  5.11 pants defy physics.  They have a lot of the features found in climbing pants, and yet they suck for climbing.  I think it has to do with excess bulk in the waist to support heavy belts, and too many seams and stitching around the knees that just seem to cause binding when high stepping.
View Quote
I don't know about that.  I've got some 5.11 pants that feel about as bind free and easy to move in than any pair of pants I've ever had, especially considering that they are cut tighter than some of my other options.

My biggest complaint is that they don't breathe for shit, but otherwise.....they are amazing pants for what I use them for.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:22:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to have 5.11 climbing pants, that is how they started as already mentioned and I used them for ........ climbing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#36]
RR pants …

Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:29:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I don't know about that.  I've got some 5.11 pants that feel about as bind free and easy to move in than any pair of pants I've ever had, especially considering that they are cut tighter than some of my other options.

My biggest complaint is that they don't breathe for shit, but otherwise.....they are amazing pants for what I use them for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get some of their ripstop pants (Taclite Pro) for hot work.

Kharn
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:30:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
The 5.11 is a climbing reference to the difficulty rating of a climb.

Edit: beat by about fifty other climbers....
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I sent my first 5.11 using...5.11s
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I've got two pair of RR pants that are too big for me to wear now and a vest. I guess I've had them since 2000 or so.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#41]
I've still got my Royal Robbins climbing shoes.
The Galibier RR Yosimite

“This importing business sure is a can of annelids [worms].”

– Royal Robbins

Before they called the company “Royal Robbins”, there was “Mountain Paraphernalia.” In 1968, Royal and Liz Robbins started selling climbing gear under the name Mountain Paraphernalia. A few years later, they added clothing, which they called Mountain Threads. The heavy wool sweaters they imported from the Lake District of England started a long tradition of great Royal Robbins sweaters. By the 1980’s, the company was known as Royal Robbins, as it still is today.

Royal and Liz married in 1963, and in the late ’60’s, Royal was working as the assistant manager of Liz’s father’s paint store in Modesto, CA. Royal had recently designed one of Galibier’s original rock climbing boots – the RR Yosemite – so he had an in with a major footwear company.

“I was working as assistant manager at the paint store, but I wasn’t too good at it. Luckily, mountaineering at the time was hot in the U.S., so Liz…and I saw selling climbing footwear as a perfect opportunity,” said Royal in the May 1985 issue of Backpacker.

They imported Galibier boots, Edelrid ropes, Ultimate Helmets, Salewa, Peck nuts and pitons, and a host of lesser known products. He was the U.S. distributor for Mountain Magazine and stocked British climbing books.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
30-31" waist here. 32" on some brands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top