Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Cool thread!
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very Cool THANKS OP! Reminds me, what happened to the member who found, unburied and was rehabbing one?
View Quote
@BunnySlippers

He hasn’t posted in a while and his YouTube channel is virtually dead; hasn’t posted any new videos/updates in a long time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
That would make one hell of a man cave
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Planned for.  Central ND,  WY,  Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, NY, Virginia, Oregon, California, AZ, TX, GA, MO, MI, WI and CO Cheyenne mountain.  As far as I know AK, ND, CO and Wy IIRC were the only ones to get any major progress before being nixed by the SALT treaty.  I know there was a radar base that was intended for the sentinel/Safeguard system in operation near Sundance WY.
View Quote
At one point in 1969, there was a plan to put Safeguard in 12 sites across the country.
Phase 1 was for two sites at Nekoma, ND, and near Ledger, MT.  By the time the ABM treaty was signed in 1971 limiting ABMs to one site (we chose a missile field to protect, the Soviets chose their capitol), the site at Nekoma was mostly done and the MT site was just starting, so they stopped construction there, bulldozed most of it under, then walked away.

Here's what it looks like today:

Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Watching the youtube video's linked. It blows my mind how fast the sprint takes off. Really Really impressive.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Very cool.  Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Watching the youtube video's linked. It blows my mind how fast the sprint takes off. Really Really impressive.
View Quote
Yeah it was something like ~100 Gs of acceleration.

Crazy stuff.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
INSANELY jealous that you got a tour.  I drove by that site repeatedly for four years and would have loved to go inside, but never had the chance.

I'm glad the owner's trying to keep it as a partial museum--that site's a one-of-a-kind place.

For those interested, here's the most complete website on the complex I've ever found.
View Quote
Did you drive past the Nekoma site daily?  Or the Cavalier site?

The site I toured was  the Cavalier site.  I have yet to get a hold of the Nekoma site owner for a tour.  I hear the Nekoma site is pretty well gutted,  to the point that the metal salvaging that has been done there caused flooding that they have been fighting.

There was sites at Cavalier,  Nekoma,  Langdon and a couple other sites in between.  One day I will get a hold of the Nekoma owners and line up a tour there and do some country side driving to see if I can find the other sites.

The Nekoma site has 16 Sprints for short range interceptors  and 30 spartan missiles for long rangeintecepts. IIRC the Sprint had a 1 kt enhanced radiation thermo-nuclear warhead and the Spartan had a 5000kt enhanced for a neutron flux to kill incoming warheads.

Safeguard locations.
Attachment Attached File

Eastern ND MM sites.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

There is not a lot of solid map info on site locations on the net for the old SMSG complex locations.  But Locals will usually point them out.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:18:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Two interesting facts for you:

- The 3MWe gensets (6) used at the SRMSC are still in use today at Eareckson Air Station, Shemya Island, AK.  The gensets are the size of RR locomotives and the cyclinders are the size of large dinner plates.  There was a contractor there rebuilding unit #5 when I was there Oct. 2004.

- The US only designed and built two operational phased array radar stations hardened against the direct effects of nuclear weapons.  One is at the SRMSC in Nekoma, ND.  Where is the other one?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

- The 3MWe gensets (6) used at the SRMSC are still in use today at Eareckson Air Station, Shemya Island, AK.  The gensets are the size of RR locomotives and the cyclinders are the size of large dinner plates.  There was a contractor there rebuilding unit #5 when I was there Oct. 2004.

- The US only designed and built two operational phased array radar stations hardened against the direct effects of nuclear weapons.  One is at the SRMSC in Nekoma, ND.  Where is the other one?
View Quote
Pave Paws at Beale?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
IIRC Shemya has a PAR. Cobra Dane.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:32:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@limaxray

View Quote
@Bunnyslippers
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty neat OP! WE SURE KNOW HOW TO SPEND MONEY,,,DAMN.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Pretty neat OP! WE SURE KNOW HOW TO SPEND MONEY,,,DAMN.
View Quote
One RSL site was approximately 50 million dollars to build,  It is said the personnel cost much more to train, maintain and equip.  Well into the 100's of millions.

All of those sites were shut down in less than ten months of operation.

The PAR site at Nekoma was 500 million dollars to build.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

First.  On the way there I came across this Spartan on display.  Can anyone tell me whats wrong with it? (Spartan was the long range interceptor that was used in conjunction with the Sprint which was a short range.  Spartan was for outside the atmosphere intercept,  Sprint was for inside and near atmosphere intercepts).
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48418967242_08049441bb_h.jpg
View Quote
Can you tell us what's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First.  On the way there I came across this Spartan on display.  Can anyone tell me whats wrong with it? (Spartan was the long range interceptor that was used in conjunction with the Sprint which was a short range.  Spartan was for outside the atmosphere intercept,  Sprint was for inside and near atmosphere intercepts).
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48418967242_08049441bb_h.jpg
Other than the obvious.

It was pointed out that is is painted wrong.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I may have a thread on a visit to a Minuteman site soon.  

Here is a teaser!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48419436947_c3295209a5_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48419461697_537e6c5c6f_h.jpg

I have put 2000 miles on my new camper van build in 9 days! I love it!
View Quote
Great thread, pics, and information.  Learned a lot in this thread.

If you don't mind, once you get the van setup, how much does a journey like this cost on avg. per day if you don't me asking?

Pretty damn awesome adventure.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Taggage.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:42:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The whole Safeguard system was Army, not Air Force.  And I am extremely jealous of you right now.

Fun fact:  Safeguard was called Sentinel when it was planned to defend cities.  City folks went all NIMBY and it was re-branded as Safeguard and planned for deployment in defense of Minuteman bases.
View Quote
That was one of the best Soviet propaganda successes I've read about. The anti-nuke movement (which we now know was largely led and funded by the USSR, although only a fool would have thought otherwise prior to absolute proof) managed to convince people that it was better to let a Soviet ICBM hit their city directly than use an essentially zero-fallout nuke detonating at high altitude to stop it.

People arguing that anti-ICBM protection is bad are fucking idiots, and are often traitors in the pockets of America's enemies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sprint missile was so fast it would go "incandescent".  It was successful partly because of the ablating material and chemically refrigerated housing and flight hardware.
View Quote
what does incandescent mean in this sense....any modern day projectile examples on film.   When they said it in the film, the tip just turned a solid white color it looked like.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Used to go out with a gal whose dad was an "electrician" on these sites...was only home on weekends they kept him
pretty busy out in the Dakotas.
Just said he was working at various sites and not much else...not even to his family...pretty plain to see why...
He had been a fighter pilot in WW2 for the Canadian AF
Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you don't mind, once you get the van setup, how much does a journey like this cost on avg. per day if you don't me asking?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may have a thread on a visit to a Minuteman site soon.  

Here is a teaser!

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48419436947_c3295209a5_h.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48419461697_537e6c5c6f_h.jpg

I have put 2000 miles on my new camper van build in 9 days! I love it!

The van is actually not bad to fuel,  as long as you dont have a head wind.  With a tail wind!  It gets amazing mileage.  

I got 14.3 average yesterday with it,  and I was a bit heavy on the gas pedal.  75-80 MPH.

On my Oshkosh trip I saw about 13.5 and 14 with interstate driving, and 16 on the slower roads.  My leg from Caddot to Oshkosh had a good tail wind most of the way combined with my doing about 60-65 and I saw 18.5.

General rule of thumb is 14 to 16 MPG.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
what does incandescent mean in this sense....any modern day projectile examples on film.   When they said it in the film, the tip just turned a solid white color it looked like.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sprint missile was so fast it would go "incandescent".  It was successful partly because of the ablating material and chemically refrigerated housing and flight hardware.
It glows white hot from atmospheric drag much like the tungsten filament in a light bulb from being powered on.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks....I'm on CL looking at vans now
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Very cool
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Used to go out with a gal whose dad was an "electrician" on these sites...was only home on weekends they kept him
pretty busy out in the Dakotas.
Just said he was working at various sites and not much else...not even to his family...pretty plain to see why...
He had been a fighter pilot in WW2 for the Canadian AF
Thanks for the pics.
View Quote
While I was there a gentleman that worked in them on active duty and then worked for western telephone afterward stopped by.

He was involved in wiring and maintaining good amount of this sites bunker for comms and control.  He was explaining how things were laid out and what was in each of the rooms.  Which was awesome because as one would imagine... there is not a lot of photographs and public documentation of the contents of some of the command and control bunker rooms.

I would have loved to interview him.  But I wanted to follow the property owners wishes.  He said take all the photos you wish.  No video.  So that is the way it went.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Thanks....I'm on CL looking at vans now
View Quote
@GreasyEasy
Three pieces of advice!

Look for a high top if you like to be able to stand.  I would recommend barn side doors rather than the slider.  and look for a extended wheel base van.

The high top is not a deal breaker for me if I were to build another.  The side doors has a higher priority than the high top for me.  The extended wheel base is a deal breaker for my next build!

EXT wheel base = More floor space for larger bed,  or same bed and more living area.  A taller person would want a larger bed.

Barn doors = More room for usable storage installed on the doors. (cannot do that with the slider).
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Other than the obvious.

View Quote
I thought it was having the forward control surfaces that won't work once it goes exoatmospheric. Sprint has tiny ones.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I thought it was having the forward control surfaces that won't work once it goes exoatmospheric. Sprint has tiny ones.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than the obvious.

Some info on the Spartan missiles.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

IIRC the Sprint had a 1 kt enhanced radiation thermo-nuclear warhead and the Spartan had a 5000kt enhanced for a neutron flux to kill incoming warheads.
View Quote
I think the Sprint was the one that used neutron flux as the kill mechanism. The type of enhanced radiation warheads used in space (like for Spartan) are generally designed to put out a ton of xrays.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@GreasyEasy
Three pieces of advice!

Look for a high top if you like to be able to stand.  I would recommend barn side doors rather than the slider.  and look for a extended wheel base van.

The high top is not a deal breaker for me if I were to build another.  The side doors has a higher priority than the high top for me.  The extended wheel base is a deal breaker for my next build!

EXT wheel base = More floor space for larger bed,  or same bed and more living area.  A taller person would want a larger bed.

Barn doors = More room for usable storage installed on the doors. (cannot do that with the slider).
View Quote
Thanks for the advice brother, and I look forward to learning and following from your adventures :)
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:26:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Cool and thanks - so the control fins are actually steerable rocket nozzles. Neat.

And a nuke warhead.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Very cool, OP. Thanks for sharing!
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:46:34 PM EDT
[#34]
How far is that from 'the pyramid'?

If I remember correctly, weren't some of those operational for only one day?
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 2:50:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
How far is that from 'the pyramid'?

If I remember correctly, weren't some of those operational for only one day?
View Quote
It is about 10 to 15...ish miles as the crow flies.

Yes some had an operational life that spanned in hours before the govt pulled the plug on them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Cool pics. Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pave Paws at Beale?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pave Paws at Beale?
Nope.  The SSPARs I've been to (Beale AFB, EAS Shemya Island and Thule Air Base, Greenland) are just glorified steel frame and sheet metal buildings.  Designed for the conditions (high winds and low temps mostly); but not nuclear hardened in any sense of the word.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of two single sided SSPAR in the US.  Where's the other one?

ETA:  The SSPAR at EAS is powered by the former SRMSC generators; they provide power to the entire 3x4 mile island.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#39]
As part of the testing of the Spartan 5 MT nuclear warhead, the AEC decided that they needed to test the warhead at a more remote location than the NV Test Site, since it was too close to Las Vegas.  They picked a site about 75 miles NE of Tonopah, NV and called it the Central NV Test Site.  However, before they could test the 5 MT warhead, they needed to "qualify" the CNTS site for large +MT warheads.  Hence, Shot Faultless at 1 MT was planned and executed in 1968.  Faultless was anything but and the excessive faulting around the test site precluded further testing, including the 5 MT Spartan warhead.  As a result, the CNTS was shut down and Spartan testing was moved to Amshitka Island, AK, where Shot Cannikan was conducted in 1971, the largest underground nuclear weapons test ever conducted by the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Crosstie

And Shot Faultless?  Yea: it's the only site in the Western Hemisphere where you can drive to and stand (and park) in a crater created by a nuclear weapon 24/7/365.

Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#40]
One of those videos mentions the (former) Martin Marietta (now Lockheed) plant in Orlando. A buddy of mine owns the company that re-roofed it a few years back.

Security was....

Tight.

Protip: roofer laborer types aren't, generally speaking, the cream of the crop when it comes to their history with LE and the Court system.  It's REALLY difficult to get enough roofers to pass a background check that intense.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:08:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

ETA:  The SSPAR at EAS is powered by the former SRMSC generators; they provide power to the entire 3x4 mile island.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kwajalein?

I do believe there is a PAR there also.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Very cool.  Thanks for posting.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Kwajalein?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kwajalein?

Don't know what's at Kwaj, but that's *probably* a more localized missile test range radar vs the big SSPARs I'm referring to that provide Conus-level air and missile defense radar data.

To whit:

- The 3 former BMEWS sites:  Thule AB, Clear Air Force Station, AK and RAF Fylingdales in England (the only 3 sided SSPAR; co-operated with the US).

- The two coastal sites:  Beale on the west and Cape Cod on the east.  ETA: Plus the single-sided Cobra Dane UEWR at EAS, Shemya Island, AK.

- The former Safeguard Perimeter Acquisition Radar Attack Characterization System (PARCS) radar at Cavalier AFS in ND.

The PARCS is unique in that it's single sided like Cobra Dane, it's the only part of the operational Safeguard still in use today (besides the 6 generators) and ....  it's hardened against the direct effects of nuclear weapons.  The Missile Site Radar at the SRMSC site in Nekoma is also hardened but has not been in use since the mid-70's +/-.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier_Air_Force_Station

Pics of the PARCS that my son and I took during our family reunion to northern SD, ND and MN in 2012:

Note that the walls and face of the radar building is concrete; it's 3 foot thick reinforced concrete.

Pics of the MSR during the same trip:

Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
One of those videos mentions the (former) Martin Marietta (now Lockheed) plant in Orlando. A buddy of mine owns the company that re-roofed it a few years back.

Security was....

Tight.

Protip: roofer laborer types aren't, generally speaking, the cream of the crop when it comes to their history with LE and the Court system.  It's REALLY difficult to get enough roofers to pass a background check that intense.
View Quote
The first time I ever went to Orlando was in 1967 or 1968.  That MM plant (then called "Defense Plant on I-4 signs) was way the fork out in the sticks.  Now, it's just part of and surrounded by the Orlando suburbia.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 4:42:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Don't know what's at Kwaj, but that's *probably* a more localized missile test range radar vs the big SSPARs I'm referring to that provide Conus-level air and missile defense radar data.

To whit:

- The 3 former BMEWS sites:  Thule AB, Clear Air Force Station, AK and RAF Fylingdales in England (the only 3 sided SSPAR; co-operated with the US).

- The two coastal sites:  Beale on the west and Cape Cod on the east.

- The former Safeguard Perimeter Acquisition Radar Attack Characterization System (PARCS) radar at Cavalier AFS in ND.

The PARCS is unique in that it's single sided like Cobra Dane, it's the only part of the operational Safeguard still in use today (besides the 6 generators) and ....  it's hardened against the direct effects of nuclear weapons.  The Missile Site Radar at the SRMSC site in Nekoma is also hardened but has not been in use since the mid-70's +/-.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier_Air_Force_Station

Pics of the PARCS that my son and I took during our family reunion to northern SD, ND and MN in 2012:

https://i.imgur.com/Zc2t5fG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Sx6rWa8.jpg

Note that the walls and face of the radar building is concrete; it's 3 foot thick reinforced concrete.

Pics of the MSR during the same trip:

https://i.imgur.com/blqtQVn.jpg
View Quote
My buddy recently worked in the Cavalier air station site hardening and updating the bunker system and support systems.

He said they were very,  very attentive while he was there. He was never unattended while working.  

He said security was tighter than a nuns uglies.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Thanks for the great pics
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:53:47 PM EDT
[#48]
The W71 used in the Spartan was an interesting design, along with using gold as a tamper to enhance xray production.
Link Posted: 7/31/2019 8:55:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Did you drive past the Nekoma site daily?  Or the Cavalier site?

The site I toured was  the Cavalier site.  I have yet to get a hold of the Nekoma site owner for a tour.  I hear the Nekoma site is pretty well gutted,  to the point that the metal salvaging that has been done there caused flooding that they have been fighting.

There was sites at Cavalier,  Nekoma,  Langdon and a couple other sites in between.  One day I will get a hold of the Nekoma owners and line up a tour there and do some country side driving to see if I can find the other sites.

The Nekoma site has 16 Sprints for short range interceptors  and 30 spartan missiles for long rangeintecepts. IIRC the Sprint had a 1 kt enhanced radiation thermo-nuclear warhead and the Spartan had a 5000kt enhanced for a neutron flux to kill incoming warheads.

Safeguard locations.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/SG_map_jpg-1037071.JPG

Eastern ND MM sites.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/MM_map_png-1037072.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/183526/MM_mapN_png-1037073.JPG

There is not a lot of solid map info on site locations on the net for the old SMSG complex locations.  But Locals will usually point them out.
View Quote
We drove past the Cavalier site all the time to get to Alpha and Bravo, the Nekoma site was within eyeshot of the site I pulled the most alerts at (Delta just south of Nekoma on Hwy 1), so you could kinda say both?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top