Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:45:58 AM EDT
[#1]
North Face is nice but Arcteryx and Patagonia are better.

I need to upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:46:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stay away from North Face and Patagonia due to commies
Arcteryx is tier 1 stuff but pricey. LL Bean, Mountain Hardware, and Cloudveil all supply my cold weather gear.
View Quote
Sorry to break it to you but Arcteryx is as commie as any of them too
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
TNF does make tier 1 clothing, they also make stuff for the fashion conscious. A few years ago I got a friend a TNF 3-in-1 parka for Xmas, she loved it for the name around town and for the quality when snowmobiling and snowshoeing. I have a pair of TNF uninsulated pants that are every bit as rugged as my ECWCS parka.

Tents are one area they’re still tier 1. I picked up this Mountain Tent for $150 a couple years ago, at 9lb it’s far from lightweight but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on any mountain on the planet. A total of 20 stake & guyout points will stand up to anything if you site it properly and either dig in and/or build a snow wall.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:47:13 AM EDT
[#5]
OP, get one of these if you are going to be out in the weather..you can dip it in water and it will still keep you warm soaking wet..worth every penny..I normally wear the one piece thin one without a helmet, and the thick/thin style with a helmet....

https://www.turtlefur.com/products/classic-balaclava-micro-fur-fleece
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:48:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I once saw a doper in it.  Avoid at all costs.

Some is good.  Some is not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Them Disney winters are brutal.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:51:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They used to be tier 1.Then their brand became "trendy" and it was all downhill from there. It's a fashion brand for the most part now. Some of their stuff is still good, but it's mostly catered to the poser, fashion crowd now. Fuck North Face.
View Quote
You're delusional if you don't think there's just as many people wearing Arc'Teryx or Patagonia as a fashion brand.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Arcteryx, Canada goose, Fjallraven.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:53:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've seen a lot of people on the weather channel wear north face gear. Also when I have gone to Disney during the holiday season a lot of people have the puffy jackets. Most people are sporting North Face gear. Is this what it is commonly used for winter gear as top notch?
View Quote
I'd almost bet money TNF and TWC have some kind of deal in place/sponsorship. I've noticed everything they wear has clear NorthFace logos on it and that normally only happens with some kind of deal.

having said that, idk about "tier 1" but i have a few jackets that i've picked up over the years that keep me warm. My down/Gore-tex jacket has worked well in the snow in Minnesota the few times I have gone, but thats also to and from either the airport/hotel/work/store etc. I'm not hanging out in the negative numbers if I can keep from it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:54:21 AM EDT
[#11]
For both work and pleasure I spend lots of hours outside with temps at -40 and below. I don’t own anything north face.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:54:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We used to see Chinese knockoffs in NYC back in the day, I called them North Fakes...
View Quote
There’s still a bunch out there.

Someone gave me a fleece they got “in a group buy” and all the zippers melted on the second wash.

My “real” NF stuff looks the same, but isn’t that fragile.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:56:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I used to have a ton of stuff of theirs from sleeping bags to clothing when I worked as a tourguide for camping adventure tours and pretty much camped for 9 months out of the year for a living, anything from desert camping to snow camping in the mountains... It used to be real good gear but that was 20-25 years ago. Haven't bought any of their stuff for over 15 years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My 25 year old TNF Nuptse down jacket is getting loaned out to my bartender for her Kilimanjaro climb next year, possibly along with a TNF sleeping bag and tent.

LOL, memory lane full circle stuff here ...

24 years ago I was in a small town bar and saw some gal wearing a TNF Mountain Jacket.  I walked up to her and asked if she was into rock or alpine climbing, and I just got this blank stare.  I had led a sheltered existence and thought that, surely, someone who buys this stuff would be into stuff like that.  Welcome to the real world, right?

21 years ago, a guy from that same small town was up in the same obscure mountain range in northern Canada at the same time I was.  Both of us in a snow storm, about 25 miles apart.  He got the worse end of the snowstorm.  Completely independent trips.  From a town of 6000.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Outdoor Research is pretty good. I also like Marmot. Arc'teryx is fantastic but very pricey.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Tier one in what way
Will their stuff keep the typical American warm doing typical American winter stuff? Sure.
I wouldn't call them tier one. They're a very mainstream company that makes some stuff that may or may not work for you in whatever activity you're doing. Do your research and spend your money wisely.

My big objection to their stuff is that they plaster their logo all over their gear. If I am paying good money for your product, i am not paying for the privilege of being a walking billboard for your company. If you want me to be a walking billboard for your company, you should be paying ME to fill that role.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:00:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Arcteryx then everything else.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:00:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I wear it to hunt and butcher game and also when I shoot my machine gun.

keeps me warm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anytime I see someone wearing a coat or hat with that smug little tag, I can’t help but immediately think FUCKING LIBERAL to myself.
I wear it to hunt and butcher game and also when I shoot my machine gun.

keeps me warm.
I need to soften my stance and think PROBABLY A FUCKING LIBERAL BUT MIGHT BE A TOTAL BADASS.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:01:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:01:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't bought anything from them for quite a while but I've got a TNF parka I bought around ten years ago that still looks as good as the day I bought it. Although that could be due to the fact that I can only wear it the few times a year it drops below zero here. Any other time and it's too damn warm even if all I'm wearing under it is a t shirt.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
TNF does make tier 1 clothing, they also make stuff for the fashion conscious. A few years ago I got a friend a TNF 3-in-1 parka for Xmas, she loved it for the name around town and for the quality when snowmobiling and snowshoeing. I have a pair of TNF uninsulated pants that are every bit as rugged as my ECWCS parka.

Tents are one area they’re still tier 1. I picked up this Mountain Tent for $150 a couple years ago, at 9lb it’s far from lightweight but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it on any mountain on the planet. A total of 20 stake & guyout points will stand up to anything if you site it properly and either dig in and/or build a snow wall.

https://assets.trailspace.com/assets/9/2/8/6609192/71FEAB4D-3C16-4906-994E-B831FBE32184.jpg
View Quote
I have a TNF ve25 tent I bought in 93. It was $600 which was a lot of money then. It still looks and fun as new after well over 100  nights of camping in it. I have many tents, but it got used the most. The floor has been sealed many times, but the zippers, main tent, and seams still look great. As mentioned, if you buy the stuff at Dicks etc it's pretty good, but their real mountaineering gear is equal to anything made.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:06:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're delusional if you don't think there's just as many people wearing Arc'Teryx or Patagonia as a fashion brand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They used to be tier 1.Then their brand became "trendy" and it was all downhill from there. It's a fashion brand for the most part now. Some of their stuff is still good, but it's mostly catered to the poser, fashion crowd now. Fuck North Face.
But, today's TNF is particularly bad about producing fashion.

It's just not Tompkin's company anymore, in any meaning of the words.  But, Tompkins turned that money into some pretty awesome stuff.  So, there's that.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:17:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Politics aside, their summit series is absolutely tier 1. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is a moron.

Antarctica:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:19:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

lol

Helly Hansen ring a bell?
View Quote
I had a HH rain jacket, it was amazing for 10 years then fell apart after I completely abused it.

What a piece of junk.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:23:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

lol

Helly Hansen ring a bell?
View Quote
Pitched for the Cubs in 87?
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I own some of their outerwear, would I buy it again knowing their politics nope.

I do own the NF Westwind tent which is a great piece of equipment, it's served me well over the years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:48:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Does it matter? Its all made in China, Vietnam or the 3rd world shit hole of your choice.

I have a black North Face mountaineering coat (I only buy black as it never looks old) with a zip out liner thats about 13 years old. Still looks new despite being used pretty much every winter to ski and shovel snow. I have a pair of Marmot ski bibs that are also fine. I have not seen much difference between the North Face, Marmot, Arcteryx, etc... Columbia is level down but still isnt that bad. I buy whatever I can find massively discounted - i.e. last years model, whatever. Only a fool pays full retail for this stuff.

I can live without all the logos that are all over everything regardless of brand.

Regardless I see utes wearing North Face so you know it has quasi-ghetto status.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:48:41 AM EDT
[#28]
North face is for basic chicks. Canada goose is for tier 1 operators
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:54:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Mammut is something to check out if you desire quality gear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 1:59:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I may be traveling up north soon and the only brand name that I have noticed a bunch of people wearing is North Face. I'm not familiar with the other brands.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kinda partial to Mountain Hardwear.
What gear are you looking for?
I may be traveling up north soon and the only brand name that I have noticed a bunch of people wearing is North Face. I'm not familiar with the other brands.
Check your IM.
I got ya covered
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#31]
TNF gear, some is great and some is just a name. Do you want a 900 fill down coat that you make the size of sandwich bag (Summit Series) or a 500 fill that has a big TNF logo?

They all are lefty organizations. They all try to have a product for every budget. Most folks aren't really out 'in it' in their gear.

TLDR - their Summit series is legit. They are cut a little boxy compared to the dead bird. 3 layer Gortex is the best Gortex regardless of the name plate and 900 fill is 900 fill - know what I mean? Buy quality and buy it on sale.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:12:47 AM EDT
[#32]
It’ll keep you warm and dry. I put most of their stuff on par with Columbia. But like them, it’s become a fashion trend. No hate on that. Dollas be dollas, yo.

They are anti-Trump and anti-wall. Hell even a decade ago there was some hubbub about them being anti-off road travel. Did I say off road? I meant overland. But they are for general land usage.

I don’t buy their gear. They don’t care. But I do.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Mammut is what you seek.  Tier 1 mountain gear that as served me well.

Tier 1 gear that you won't see every other slack jaw wearing
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#34]
I like my North Face gear. It's well worth what I paid for it.

I'm sure there's better out there, but it's quality
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:19:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
North face is for basic chicks. Canada goose is for tier 1 operators
View Quote
Real down sucks once it gets wet. You find that out quick when you are skiing and sweating like a pig. Than add on snowing while you are skiing and sweating.

Only synthetics, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:27:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Used be be a fan boy years ago. Bumped them after they went anti gun! They will never get another cent from me and there is better out there now!

I have this moral patch though:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:36:40 AM EDT
[#37]
I have some 12 year old North Face stuff back before it became super popular. I bought it for a specific trip in a very cold are and it served me well. I continued to wear one of their Redpoint jackets for many years, probably 6 or 7 before I finally retired it (still in good useable condition) because I got tired of wearing the same thing every winter.

I also have a 15 or 16 year old North Face day pack that has been used for many years hauling stuff around and although the waterproof lining has flaked off the inside, a the stitching and the zippers are still intact.

They made good gear once upon a time. Too bad their politics sucks. I won't buy any more but I will use the stuff I already have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Mammut is something to check out if you desire quality gear.
View Quote
True.  I have a Mammut jacket I've beat to shit and it still looks new.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 2:39:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
And shit clothing for hard use. Used to be good 20 years ago. Would probably get killed from exposure  going to the mall in them. Think Banana Republic non-tropical version.
View Quote
I've still got my North Face Mountain jacket from when I was 18 years old and I'm now 43. I just hate I didn't buy the pants / bibs at the same time. A fantastic jacket. Needless to say I don't know anything about their new shit because I've haven't needed to buy it. I've got an old North Face Arrowhead tent as well I bought back when I was in Boy Scouts because I hated sleeping in those shity tents they had and I liked being dry at night. It served me very well for my numerous backpacking, fishing and canoe trips and for when I went to Philmont Scout Ranch.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:02:27 AM EDT
[#40]
When I worked at a ski mountain we were all issued goretex northface hard shell coats and pants. We needed our own base layers but these coats did great in full blizzard conditions. Pretty much bomb proof in my experience, super reinforced in all the right areas.

These are commercial outfits and looked a lot different then the stuff I tend to see in retail shops.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:14:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Not trendy, but I am a fan of good old surplus shit. Army Silkies, Waffles, a fleece and a marshmellow suit along with Muklucks and I am good on a deep into the bush snow machine trip down to -40 no problem. Ugly as shit, but warm. Its super lightweight also.

ETA: One night is was probably-20 or -30 and I fell asleep outside watching the northern lights laying in a snowbank. slept comfortably and warm for a couple hours till my nose got really cold.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:21:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Old N3B parkas are good also.

Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#43]
I only own one piece of TNF gear. 12 years ago I bought a McMurdo Bay Parka. It is the boss. I only wear it when it is 20 degrees or colder outside. I have never felt the wind or cold while wearing it. I do not wear it often and it still looks brand new after 12 years. I would recommend it to any one.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Buy Canada Goose..real arctic gear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:26:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Buy Canada Goose..real arctic gear.
View Quote
Arctic Asian tourist gear.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:33:02 AM EDT
[#46]
I’m a mountaineer, climber, etc...  they do make some tier 1 awesome gear.  They also make some garbage.  The people in this thread saying they don’t make awesome gear are either buying their consumer grade junk and not the high end stuff.....or they’re just caught up in TNF’s politics and not even looking at their gear.

Personally, I like dead bird, Mountain Hardwear, Rab, OR, and Montane.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Arctic Asian tourist gear.
View Quote
What are you talking about? It's all made in Canada in a small shop downtown Toronto. It's been on many US arctic missions as well as numerous other countries. My expedition parka is rate to -40.

They do have a small fashion line of coldwear however their expedition and other series is as good as it gets.

No made in china shit
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:33:15 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a bunch of NF stuff from the early ‘00’s-12’ish.

It’s all solid gear, never had any issues. Held up on many many hikes, snow shoeing, drunken camping trips, etc

Their politics ended my spending with them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They used to be top tier with a warranty to back it up.  Not so much anymore.
View Quote
Their warranty is still top notch.  My girlfriend found a NF down jacket that had feathers coming out of it in a garage sale.  I told her “watch this shit.....”. Bought it for $5.  Sent it to NF.....got a brand new $300 850 fill down puffy that doesn’t leak down.

Their CS is awesome unless you’re an asshole to people on the phone.

And their products are solid.....as long as you aren’t buying their bottom line shit that’s only made for around town.  You still see lots of NF gear up high in elevation, and it is solid if you get their good stuff.  Like any other big company, they make products for all ranges (some is good, some is shit).  Buying a $75 jacket and expecting it to be a $1000 arctic coat is dumb...
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Mt.Hardwear/Arcteryx/OR/Smartwool
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top