Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:33:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Seems a bit expensive for an 8.5lb savage hunting rifle.

But I hope they do well.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:33:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Id buy one of those
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Love me some straight pulls.

Last commercial model I was tempted by, was the Mauser 1996.
It ended up being a PITA, and slower than a turn bolt, thanks to the bolt handle being 5" forward of the trigger guard.
Just a stupid design, so I sent it down the road for what it cost me.

The Savage looks interesting even if it is a bit pudgy.

Lets see if it gets anywhere on the market.
For some reason, Americans just don't warm to straight pulls, and never have, despite being faster than hell if the bolt is ridden.

So who is gonna be the guinea pig?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLPjQeMWUw

I'm not sure if it's this video or another one, but I heard them say it uses a normal 110 barrel and stock
View Quote

It looks that way in the schematic they have posted.  In addition to that the bolt handle angle is adjustable.  Looks like you can have it straight back or straight forward if you want.

I’ve always wanted a straight pull, no real use for it though.  Neat operating system.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It looks that way in the schematic they have posted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFLPjQeMWUw

I'm not sure if it's this video or another one, but I heard them say it uses a normal 110 barrel and stock

It looks that way in the schematic they have posted.

yeah, looks like normal savage barrels mount on an extension specific to this action

with this you can change pre-headspaced barrel+extension combo. I think
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:54:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Any interest in my part would depend heavily on accuracy.  Before I’d pay the money on a this rifle, it would need to shoot as well as other rifles in the same price level.

Personally, I have feeling I’d be overpaying for an exotic action.

Right now, if I was going to pay this type of money on a Savage, I’d be more interested in their new ultralight rifle with carbon fiber over wrap barrel.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:57:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I am thinking a straight pull .308 with a 16" barrel that takes AIC or Magpul 7.62 mags would be nice handling and quick shooting general purpose rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OAL for one.

It will be interesting to see if this catches on with the PRS crowd
View Quote

I don’t think they will honestly. Same reason as people shooting gas guns don’t really run stages faster. You can work the bolt on custom actions so fast as it is plus all the moving during the course of fire.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Heym SR30 also used ball bearings to lock the bolt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-44H321Bsg
View Quote
That's what I thought of when I saw the cutaway video.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am thinking a straight pull .308 with a 16" barrel that takes AIC or Magpul 7.62 mags would be nice handling and quick shooting general purpose rifle.
View Quote
My Ruger American 308 threaded barrel is 16" and I love it with a can on it. I put it in a magpul chassis and it's great. It's pretty decent with the stock bolt, it would be pretty fast with a straight pull.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#11]
To those complaining about weight, the predator and big game models all have threaded barrels.  Threaded barrels are thicker, and thus heavier.

It's what, a pound more than you'd want?  Either pull the barrel and turn it or exercise just a teeny bit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes!  One in .223 too...
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The length of those cartridges roughly corresponds to the distance your finger tips travel when opening and closing your hand. In theory you should be able to build a strait pull rifle that you can cycle extremely fast. Think Anshutz 22 but in a useful caliber
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please please make a 5.56/6.5G/6.8/300BLK/7.62X39 toggle or straight pull

The length of those cartridges roughly corresponds to the distance your finger tips travel when opening and closing your hand. In theory you should be able to build a strait pull rifle that you can cycle extremely fast. Think Anshutz 22 but in a useful caliber

Should've been in a micro-action. Why straight pull fast shots in target or hunting rifles? It is more suited to smaller, mag-fed actions.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Nobody "allows" me to keep anything. My rights are from birth to death and are not obtained from man.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would allow us to keep

What are you guys even smoking

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Nobody "allows" me to keep anything. My rights are from birth to death and are not obtained from man.

While I agree with the sentiment, "not one step farther" would be a better representation. We are all guilty of following laws we don't believe in, whether we like to admit it or not.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:20:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Make it in 300blk with a factory threaded barrel and I'm in.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Most of your common hunting rifles are in the 8# range before optics.  8# Rugers outsell everything else 3-4:1 up here for example, and you'll have to try hard to find rougher terrain and conditions than Alaska.  The Tikka T3 is a second, but still decently outsold by Ruger.

Mind you, I'm comparing rifle weights on 300wm and similar.
View Quote

My 1970s model 700 30-06 weighs 8lbs even _with_ optic.   The Savage with scope and rings will be damn near 10 lbs.  People can tote what they want.  In 2021 I'm not paying $1,000+ for a hunting rifle and have to carry 1 3/4 to 2 lbs extra.  

With modern materials and computer design there's no reason for it.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
To those complaining about weight, the predator and big game models all have threaded barrels.  Threaded barrels are thicker, and thus heavier.

It's what, a pound more than you'd want?  Either pull the barrel and turn it or exercise just a teeny bit.
View Quote

There are several companies that make threaded barreled hunting rifles sub 7lbs. A Kimber Montana is 5.2lbs (over three pounds lighter) with a 22 inch threaded barrel with an msrp of $1,500.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool! This is the perfect climate to release a gun in!
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Love me some straight pulls.

Last commercial model I was tempted by, was the Mauser 1996.
It ended up being a PITA, and slower than a turn bolt, thanks to the bolt handle being 5" forward of the trigger guard.
Just a stupid design, so I sent it down the road for what it cost me.

View Quote

I've owned two of the straight pull M96's, and my only complaint was the fact you had to use tools in order to remove the bolt.  Otherwise, I liked everything else about the rifle.  They were lightweight, reasonably accurate, and used standard Remington 700 scope bases.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 10:58:27 AM EDT
[#20]
No iron sights.  Do not want.   Yes I'm a boomer and damned proud of it.  If iron sights had no purpose then no one would really need BUIS.   Nothing against scopes at all, but I only own one rifle without iron sights and that is a Ruger Precision Rifle.  More of a range toy than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:04:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No iron sights.  Do not want.   Yes I'm a boomer and damned proud of it.  If iron sights had no purpose then no one would really need BUIS.   Nothing against scopes at all, but I only own one rifle without iron sights and that is a Ruger Precision Rifle.  More of a range toy than anything else.
View Quote
I'm not a boomer, and I still wouldn't have this rifle without irons.  Every rifle I own has a sling and irons.  Just a quirk of mine, I guess.

If I bought an RPR, I would look for the 1st Gen with the uninterrupted top rail so I could mount folding irons, or replace the handguard to allow me to do so.  Then I would rig up a sling, and then a bipod.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thread it and I'll sell my Seekins Havak. I had been considering a straight pull AR10 upper already. Only question is .243, 6.5 Creedmoor, or wait for something more exciting?
View Quote

It looks like they all have threaded barrels.

https://savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57657
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I think I'd do it if it took AR mags
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you use See-Thru chin weld rings too?
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I'll grab one if they roll out a .223
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Pretty cool concept. Great for lefties and if the barrels are the same as their other rifles it'll be even cooler. Kind of want.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Pretty cool concept. Great for lefties and if the barrels are the same as their other rifles it'll be even cooler. Kind of want.
View Quote

Yeah. The ease of going back and forth is what really sells it to me. Can have a left handed rifle for me, but want to let a right handed friend try it and it appears to be superfast to switch. The 10 round mags should fit in the ones that come with a 4 round mag so it looking like the hoghunter version will be the one for me. I hope they sell enough to put one out with 16 inch barrel in 308 and 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#28]

It looks like the bolt locks into the barrel extension, and similar to an AR15, the receiver just holds it in place. Pretty neat.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
The weight doesn't bother me.  Most of it is in the heavy and medium weight barrels.  Throw a lightweight barrel on there and it will be in the 7 +/- lbs range.  What does bother me is the $1k+ price.  I doubt they will get loads of sales action at that price point given what it will be competing against at and below that price.  "It's as fast as a semi-auto." Except for the folks in PA why not just but a Browning BAR at that price? (or other "finer" rifle)
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

diiiiid you watch the video? the savage bolt can be rotated AS WELL AS switched sides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bolt handle appears to be at a more reasonable angle, at least to my eye. The angle of the Savage bolt screams skinned and bloody knuckles to me.

diiiiid you watch the video? the savage bolt can be rotated AS WELL AS switched sides.

I caught that it could switch sides, but missed the rotation part.

That makes me wonder if it could loosen up and rotate on its own out in the field.

Sometime simpler really is better.

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:51:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The weight doesn't bother me.  Most of it is in the heavy and medium weight barrels.  Throw a lightweight barrel on there and it will be in the 7 +/- lbs range.  What does bother me is the $1k+ price.  I doubt they will get loads of sales action at that price point given what it will be competing against at and below that price.  "It's as fast as a semi-auto." Except for the folks in PA why not just but a Browning BAR at that price? (or other "finer" rifle)
View Quote

It's cheaper than a BAR or the Blazer.
It might be a tad more expensive than Henry's Long Ranger.
Any of them are a lot more expensive than a decent turn bolt.
I think the price point is appealing if you're looking for something other than a turn bolt but don't want, or can't have an auto.
And with the built in 20 MOA, the price is comparable to a lot of the bolt actions on the market geared toward varmint and long range shooting.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 1:57:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh, too costly, too complex.  Does not give me a single advantage over any  40-year old Winchester.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#33]
They should have partnered with a company and put it in a good stock or chassis with a good trigger.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:53:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That makes me wonder if it could loosen up and rotate on its own out in the field.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That bolt handle appears to be at a more reasonable angle, at least to my eye. The angle of the Savage bolt screams skinned and bloody knuckles to me.

lol you complain about the angle then when it’s pointed out that it’s adjustable you say simpler is better. Pretty sure the video I watched showed it splined so I doubt it can loosen up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They should have partnered with a company and put it in a good stock or chassis with a good trigger.
View Quote

They have a couple guns with a good chassis but they’re spendy. Aren’t there aftermarket trigger options for most Savages? These are just base rifles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
I put my Ruger American 16" 308 in the magpul chassis and at 200yds i'm shooting sub-MOA with a no name (literally) 3-9x scope and federal match 175gr SMK and a magpul bipod.

I put it together because I got a great deal on the ruger at my LGS thinking it would be a fun range toy because it had a threaded barrel and the thing wound up being my most accurate rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah. The ease of going back and forth is what really sells it to me. Can have a left handed rifle for me, but want to let a right handed friend try it and it appears to be superfast to switch. The 10 round mags should fit in the ones that come with a 4 round mag so it looking like the hoghunter version will be the one for me. I hope they sell enough to put one out with 16 inch barrel in 308 and 5.56.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looking at the pics the magwells are drastically different between the two. I highly doubt that'll work.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's splined, it's impossible for it to rotate unless you remove the keeper and pull it out. You can see this in the video as well...
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don’t think they will honestly. Same reason as people shooting gas guns don’t really run stages faster. You can work the bolt on custom actions so fast as it is plus all the moving during the course of fire.
View Quote

Fair point, it may catch on with lefties though-it's the first rifle my (LH) brother has been excited for in a while. As long as it's accurate and reliable then it will at least be another good option, and the threaded barrel, 20moa base (that looks to be machined as part of the receiver), and Savage barrel system are all pluses.

There are a lot of comments here about weight but I consider 8 lbs to be a pretty normal weight for a rifle. My .308 Tikka with heavy 24" barrel, bipod, optic, etc... is around 15 lbs. My 45-70 is 8.1 lbs with a 22" barrel and no optic or anything. I hunt with both.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please step into my parlour......

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/91277/RAR_NDS-55-56_JPG-1744757.jpg

Oh thats badass.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:22:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Fair point, it may catch on with lefties though-it's the first rifle my (LH) brother has been excited for in a while. As long as it's accurate and reliable then it will at least be another good option, and the threaded barrel, 20moa base (that looks to be machined as part of the receiver), and Savage barrel system are all pluses.

There are a lot of comments here about weight but I consider 8 lbs to be a pretty normal weight for a rifle. My .308 Tikka with heavy 24" barrel, bipod, optic, etc... is around 15 lbs. My 45-70 is 8.1 lbs with a 22" barrel and no optic or anything. I hunt with both.
View Quote

This is suppose to be a hunting rifle. Thing is a heavy bitch for that. If it was a match rifle no one would care about weight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I could but I would rather clean my ears out with a pistol than be caught using a savage. Poors doing poor things.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Just as I was thinking “I want that in lefty”, boom ambi bolt handle.  Close enough for me.

If it has the same barrel tenon as 10/110 actions, I’ve got a Proof in 308 sitting here that needs a new home.

Here comes another unjustifiable purchase.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#44]
I want a short 5.56mm/.300blk version using AR mags, as a quiet suppressed brush/varmint/plinking gun
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Should've been in a micro-action. Why straight pull fast shots in target or hunting rifles? It is more suited to smaller, mag-fed actions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Please please make a 5.56/6.5G/6.8/300BLK/7.62X39 toggle or straight pull

I agree. The hunting market isn't as big on speed advantage like the tactical/plinking market is. And lighter recoil allows better use of that speed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it can be clocked in the axis that it currently rotates, but you can't clock it along the axis of the barrel to make it stick out at 3 or 9 o'clock. You can clock it so the dog leg "level" with the gun, but it won't unlock when you pull straight back on it. I suppose you could fully 180º it so it sticks up, might look kinda goofy. Probably not though, because it probably only unlocks when rotated in one direction.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm wondering why the bolt handle wasn't shown mounted level with the barrel/either with a swept-back or swept-forward cant, instead of that goofy "kinda a bolt action, but not really!  Gotcha!" orientation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm wondering why the bolt handle wasn't shown mounted level with the barrel/either with a swept-back or swept-forward cant, instead of that goofy "kinda a bolt action, but not really!  Gotcha!" orientation.

The action won't unlock if you do that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:15:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I want a short 5.56mm/.300blk version using AR mags, as a quiet suppressed brush/varmint/plinking gun
View Quote

Yep.  Short action, .223, 16", Predator model.  Sold.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:25:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the low sweep of the bolt puts it right next to the trigger, making for faster transitions from trigger to bolt to trigger. Enfield's were using that trick over a century ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 6:27:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

It'd be basically everything I want a 5.56mm bolt gun to be
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top