Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 1:17:53 PM EDT
She's 15, in AFJROTC in her Freshman year.  Any recommendations?  books? online?
If she wants to show some initiative, I am happy to support her.

looking at this..   https://asvabbootcamp.com/products/complete-asvab-study-pack
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless things have changed, that test is very easy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:25:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you need a study guide for that? From what I remember, we just took it one day at school. No prepping or studying for it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Just tell her to marry a rich guy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:29:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell her to study the 44 different genders, dye her hair some strange color, and be able to describe the 275 sexual-assault microagressions.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:31:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Even Marines can pass it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Army has a free ASVAB prep program online called March2Success.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I had no idea there were study guides for that.

Seriously if she has anywhere near at or above average IQ she'll probably ace it.

I aced mine senior year and I was literally almost dead from undiagnosed type 1 diabetes and was failing at least one math class because of being so sick.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I doubt your daughter needs to study, unless she has some learning disabilities, in which studying might not help.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

For some. Not so much for others.

Don't assume everyone is a genius like yourself with a 99 AFQT.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I tell her to go trans.  She won't need to score very high.  The new military is about inclusiveness.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I am above average but not by any means genius level.  I think 140 or something.  I thought it was almost insultingly easy.  

If your daughter isn’t a great test taker, and gets anxiety about it, I would look for some online practice exams I’m sure they exist.  That should give her some extra confidence.  If she’s been a relatively successful student in school she’s not going to have a problem with the test.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
There are study books out there.  I dont have any experience with them but the test is not hard.

If she studies for it, I would venture to guess she would score extremely well.  Most people I know just went in blind and took it and did ok.  Myself included

If you have access to a library on base I believe they have current study guides.  

Best of luck to her
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I doubt your daughter needs to study, unless she has some learning disabilities, in which studying might not help.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For some. Not so much for others.

Don't assume everyone is a genius like yourself with a 99 AFQT.
View Quote

I think I peaked at average and have been in decline for a few years now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#16]
When I got out of the Army 25 years ago I always said I would try to steer all my kids into the service.

Now I hope none of them ever want to join.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
If she wants the covid shot, join the military. Its about to be forced on them
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Even Marines can pass it.
View Quote

OK, that was mean.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#19]
When my son joined three years ago, he took the PICAT at his recruiter's office instead of the ASVAB.

He then had to take a PICAT verification test at MEPS before he signed his contract.

Not sure if this is still an option today.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:45:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Talk her out of it.  Military service is not what it used to be.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:45:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Unless she likes to sniff markers and lick windows for fun, she doesn't need one.  I was in the 93rd percentile when I took it, I was pretty close to the sniffing markers point of my life.

One of the great regrets of my life, not figuring out my shit and enlisting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:47:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I did it a little differently. I knew what job I wanted and looked to see what score I would need to get it. Electronics played heavily into the score and I knew I wasn't very good so I found a YouTube video that explained the Asvab portion of it. I knocked the test out of the park. Honestly I probably didn't need to study but I wanted to make sure I'd have a high enough score.

TL;DR if she knows she struggles in a specific area just brush up on that, but you really don't need to study much. It's stupid easy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
She's pretty smart. Mostly A's. Except when she isn't motivated and doesnt turn in assignments during FuckCOVID remote learning. (she had an off quarter last year with Fs, but seems to have figured it out now)

Thanks for the feedback.

I also have mixed emotions about her joining in next 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:57:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Truthfully, learn algebra, maybe some geometry, English vocab, and sentence comprehension. In other words, pay attention to your core classes in high school and you'll do fine.

For specific asvab stuff any study guide works, but those 4 categories are most important for your scores
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:59:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I screwed around on it because “I’m never joining the Army”.   I had a 126 GT.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:59:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Tell her a 4 year college degree is an excellent study guide.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Ignore those saying not to review.  

If she's a good student the review will not take long and  ensure she doesn't have any gaps in test material And she will easily score in the high 95-99th percentile.

Just remember each career field has a minimum score, one either qualifies or doesn't (some waivers are possible) but scoring high doesn't give an advantage over lower scoring applicants.

And pay attention to the different scoring systems for the different services. Some are raw scores, some are percentages...don't get them confused.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:04:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Delete...... double tap
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Kinda matters how bright you actually are. Some of this is going to seem really snooty but one has to understand that there are people who are massively smarter than the average Joe/Jane and people that smart are not even that uncommon to come across in a world with so many people in such small geographic areas. So, please forgive the inherent appearance of snootiness. Being able to say with honesty, "My kid is intellectually average." or "My kid is intellectually just a little bit above average." rather than "My kid is super smart." when they're not super smart is critically important. There are gradations to intellect too. Someone 2 or 3 or 4 standard deviations above the IQ mean is a bit of a different animal to someone who's only 1 standard deviation above or below the mean. Within 1 SD of the average it's really hard to tell intellects apart. For me anyway.

My best advice, learn everything you can learn as well as you can know it and keep it fresh. Flash cards help a lot with speed for the student that's more intellectually average. Also... if one can still take it more than once, keep taking it till you get the score you need for the MOS of your heart's desire.

One thing to note, the ASVAB does not test your ability to think or reason. It tests how quickly you can be accurate in recalling rote knowledge. Even the gearing section is subject to memorized simplification tricks. So for a youngster I think the best route is to take every kind of elective you can which has any application in real life and where you might get dirty. Electronics, a 2nd math class, metal shop, FFA/Ag class. Also pay attention in English and push your math reach as far as you can.

When I took it there was some stuff on the test to do with higher mathematics, gearing systems, IIRC recognizing some specialized tools, and electrical diagrams (resistor/motor/diode/etc..) that I happened to do exceptionally well on because I was a nerd and was into those kinds of things. That helped my subject area scores dramatically and my overall percentile score apparently only a bit. If you try to answer the questions you're scored on them. If you don't, then it's weighted differently. I ran a 91st percentile on my first run through while hung over, strung out and tired and I cut a 98th percentile on the second taking of the test with only a little beer buzz leftover from the previous night. I was not in top test-taking condition. I was something of a lazy stoner generally and I also didn't pay attention in school almost at all. Fortunately for me, I was one of those kids that didn't really need to study. I'd often learn something by taking the test about it and if that didn't work I could busk my way through what I didn't know. YMMV but I recommend coming to the test in top shape. Some of the other kids that were at my academic level also had percentile scores in the low and middle 80's and 90's. Only 1 did as well as I did either time and it was the same guy both times and we got nearly identical scores both times. Man he was a nerd.

NOTE: I took my asvabs in 1991 and 1992. Things surely have changed but I can't see that they changed much.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:17:05 PM EDT
[#31]
You might consider a chat with the local recruiter office to find out what is the most current.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:27:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Why?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
When I took it there was some stuff on the test to do with higher mathematics, gear systems, IIRC recognizing some specialized tools, and electrical diagrams (resistor/motor/diode/etc..) that I happened to do exceptionally well on because I was a nerd and was into that kind of thing. That helped my subject area scores and my overall percentile score dramatically. I ran a 91st percentile on my first run through the test and 98th on the second run. My best advice, learn everything you can learn as well as you can know it. Flash cards! Also... if one can still take it more than once, keep taking it till you get the score you need for the MOS of your heart's desire.

One thing to note, the ASVAB does not test your ability to think or reason. It tests how quickly you can be accurate in recalling rote knowledge. So for a youngster, take every kind of elective you can. Electronics, a 2nd math class, metal shop, FFA/Ag class. Pay attention in English and push your math reach far.

NOTE: I took my asvabs in 1991 and 1992. Things surely have changed but I can't see that they changed much.
View Quote

I took mine in '90/91. I was in a small county school with no higher electives except for advanced math. I did well, in the 90th plus. I don't remember the details but recruiters wouldn't leave me alone for a little bit. I chose to join the Navy (I don't remember the reason at the time) but was declined because of heart and hearing issues.
But I did the best in my school in the ACT, although I was not top of my class. I just did well on standardized tests.

Op, if your daughter is in jrrotc, then she has the attitude to do well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I also have mixed emotions about her joining in next 3 years.
View Quote

There are plenty of valid reasons to choose to serve your country by joining the military, or not.

Basing that decision off who occupies the White House when you turn 18 isn’t one of them, IMO.

Best of luck to your kid.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Just seeing the test/question format before sitting for the real exam couldn't help but be helpful. I can't remember what my scores were back in 87 but they offered me Weapons Tech, and Hull Tech , I ended up with Corpsman. They offered me Advanced Pay Grade (push button) to HM3 but didn't want to sign for six. Ended up staying six.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:35:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Tell her to study in her classes and she'll crush the asvab. The people who do poorly literally cannot read english and/or are mentally handicapped. I'm not kidding.

You have to have something wrong with you to get under a 70, and you probably did poorly in school with under an 80.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tell her to study in her classes and she'll crush the asvab. The people who do poorly literally cannot read english and/or are mentally handicapped. I'm not kidding.

You have to have something wrong with you to get under a 70, and you probably did poorly in school with under an 80.
View Quote
this is really true... all of my classmates took the test and even the stupidest window licking dirt eaters scored high enough to get in. Well... except for that one guy who I always thought of as rather bright if odd. He only scored in the 26th percentile and it was pretty much his best day. I was shocked he was able to function as a conscious entity with that kind of score.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:42:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I took mine in '90/91. I was in a small county school with no higher electives except for advanced math. I did well, in the 90th plus. I don't remember the details but recruiters wouldn't leave me alone for a little bit. I chose to join the Navy (I don't remember the reason at the time) but was declined because of heart and hearing issues.
But I did the best in my school in the ACT, although I was not top of my class. I just did well on standardized tests.

Op, if your daughter is in jrrotc, then she has the attitude to do well.
View Quote
They didn't stop bugging me until about 10 years ago. In my 20's it was really bad, just constant harassment. I'd already been declined though because of bad hearing which only got worse over the years. I think we probably had very similar experiences around that time of life. Tiny school, BFE, no electives, few humans. Take a test that might get you out of that place and find out that while you're excellently qualified otherwise, they insist that they destroy your hearing themselves so you can't arrive with already bad hearing. Never understood why. Yelling is the language they speak at Basic.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:44:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There are plenty of valid reasons to choose to serve your country by joining the military, or not.

Basing that decision off who occupies the White House when you turn 18 isn’t one of them, IMO.

Best of luck to your kid.
View Quote

You hit it out of the ballpark with that statement sir.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Long ago but I distinctly remember one question on it

“ If a machine gun fires 600 rounds in a minute, how many does it fire in 2 minutes?”
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#41]
No one need fear the ASVAB.  If my retarded 18 yr old self could pass, with no prep whatsoever and a hangover, anyone can.

How retarded you ask?  I scored well enough that I had quite a few options available, and still picked infantry.  That retarded.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I was bored in high school and signed up to take the ASVAB test back in the early 1980s. I did not study for it at all. Heck I even did well the electronic questions since I put together a few electronic kits from Radio Shack and I was into HO gauge trains and built a few electronic projects from Model Railroader magazine as well. I am the only male so I went to college instead. I had the keep that Selective Service paperwork since that was the days of the cold war and I was young enough to still serve if needed.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:06:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You hit it out of the ballpark with that statement sir.
View Quote

He sure did.  Except today’s military doesn’t play baseball - it reeks of toxic masculinity, cisgenderism, and white privileged.

It’s very difficult to serve your country in a place where people that serve their country are actively persecuted until they leave.  

Trump was a 4 year fluke in a 30 year program to ensure the destruction of our military.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#44]
People study for that?

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
People study for that?
View Quote

Army ASVAB Test Preparation Paying Off for Active Soldiers
https://asvabbootcamp.com/blog/army-asvab-study-preparation-active-duty-soldiers/
Many active duty soldiers are having to change their MOS. He/she is not a top choice for their current job based on previous Army ASVAB scores.  Soldiers with high Army ASVAB scores will be more eligible than other candidates for a job switch.

A person’s GT score, along with the other line scores, can be found in the ASVAB entries on the Army’s Enlisted Record Brief. The ArmyTimes quoted Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond Chandler who said, “Just because you had a GT score that allowed you to enter the Army and serve in a (particular) MOS, does not mean it’s the GT score that will allow you to reclassify into other jobs.”
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

This, took it before gradumutating high school and was told I could do “anything I wanted” in the military.

Recruiter dropped me like a bad habit after finding out I had knee surgery for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Unless she has problems with tests in general she doesn't need it. I was a Space Cadet and I qualified for every slot except what having corrective lenses DQed me for.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:33:35 PM EDT
[#48]
I've always viewed those study guides as gimmicks meant to make money for their publishers. Not sure what you could possibly study for.

I could see an advantage to familiarity with the test itself, but taking it is free, you can take it over again, and practice tests are all over online.

Here's one: https://sahs.msad54.org/sites/default/files/Full_ASVAB.pdf

Recruiters likely have access to other and better materials.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Army has a free ASVAB prep program online called March2Success.
View Quote

... and here we go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top