Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:06:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not a matter of size, but of temperament. A mean pup beats a big pup.
View Quote

Correct, we once owned a 90 lbs black lab male that was a natural born killer.  It’s first bit would crush the skull of its opponent, fight over.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Underdog. wolf is the only dog I would bet for against a 30lb cat.

sorry, bobkitty will destroy any mutt unless the dog gets a lucky throat grab and can take the shredding
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Cats are tough, tougher than the average dag.
That being said I know of one really smart pit bull & VERY well trained that killed large house cats literally in one bite and shake.
Nailed the cat midship and broke its back in one bite before shaking the hell out of it.

Most of the terrier breed is like a wound garage door spring......
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:15:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Cougars can kill animals up to 8 times their size. I've heard from people who've had sizable dogs taken by cougars that they never even heard a sound.
View Quote
try a fucking spot kitty, leopards fuck up everything, then after skull fucking you they haul you 300lb ass up a tree to eat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I would not risk any of my dogs vs a bobcat.  Although I had a German Short hair that was a cat killing machine.   Mostly feral cats in the field.  I was able to save the neighbors cat for him with a little injury to myself, from the ungrateful a-hole cat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:18:39 AM EDT
[#6]
In her prime my 45lb springer spaniel mutt may have done it.

She has more drive than she should. I think she would do it or die trying.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No, not true.  I’d put many terriers and dachshunds above a kitty in the same weight class.  These are animals bred to go into a badger burrow and kill badgers...sometimes 2-3 at a time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pound for Pound the cat will always win.

No, not true.  I’d put many terriers and dachshunds above a kitty in the same weight class.  These are animals bred to go into a badger burrow and kill badgers...sometimes 2-3 at a time.

Gonna come down largely to luck. If the cat gets under or on the back of most anything, its gonna die. Might still kill the cat first, but guts hanging out or a bite in the c-spine will kill the dog. 40 pound wild cat is nothing to fuck with.

My large rottie killed some yotes in the yard easily, but she did it by running into them with her mouth open hoping to bite. Really mostly steamrolled them, ending up straddling them and biting down on the head before picking them up and thrashing them side to side until dead. A bobcat would have disemboweled her in that situation.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cats have more weapons.

Dogs are fighting for fun. Cats are fighting to live.

Pound for pound, my money will always be on the cat.

I've seen plenty of dogs fight plenty of critters, namely coon hounds and coons/possums/ground hogs/other dogs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My corgis would sure as hell try, the biggest may even mess it up pretty bad.

But my boxer would probably get it done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Corgi for working dag or Fox Terrier for hunting dag.

My corgis would sure as hell try, the biggest may even mess it up pretty bad.

But my boxer would probably get it done.
no fucking dog without hair is going to win vs speedkitty, if they get in close they will be getting a shredded nose, at which point most dogs quit, and then gutted
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:29:05 AM EDT
[#10]
For the cats are tuff crowd, cats will run as the first option.  If the dog runs the down, the cat is at it par fighting ability and that is how the dog overcomes the cat. I have seen it many times where the cat (domestic cats) drops with exhaustion and becomes head less.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

1 video had all of 14 pixels and it was a cage fight with no ending. probably an old circus animal on it's death bed. the other one had zero evidence and came from a show that is known to wildly exaggerate things. no pic's of the dead puma? wonder why. maybe because it wasn't a pump and the dog didn't kill it. judging by the scratches on the dog's nose it's very doubtful it was a big cat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to cherry pick. Theres two other videos there.

1 video had all of 14 pixels and it was a cage fight with no ending. probably an old circus animal on it's death bed. the other one had zero evidence and came from a show that is known to wildly exaggerate things. no pic's of the dead puma? wonder why. maybe because it wasn't a pump and the dog didn't kill it. judging by the scratches on the dog's nose it's very doubtful it was a big cat.

I think that you are deliberately avoiding my point. How can you watch the videos of one Dogo vs one puma and think " man, a bobcat would fuck that dog up instantly as @ArchEtech commented on page 2 ?

Check this video out

I would bet money that the cat in that video died of his injuries.  The dog , no doubt, got fucked up..  but that cat died. A 20 pound cat would stand no chance... NO CHANCE against that dog.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:42:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know a guy with a child fist size dent in his upper leg. He got attacked by a medium size house cat. By the time he realized what was happening, the attack was over.
View Quote

House cat fighting prowess is overrated, in no small part because cat violence is tolerated.

House cat vs mangy garbage eating scavenger who didn't even bother to put on his Acme rocket skates.  I have no idea why the coyote proceeded to fuck with the cat's van.  I would assume trickster heritage.

Click To View Spoiler

That said, a wild bobcat is not a housecat.  Nor are the purpose-bred eugenetically-engineered terrorist dogs mentioned in this thread the same as a golden retriever.

Somewhere on video - I want to say Marty Stouffer's Wild America - I've seen a bobcat and a lynx fight.  The lynx was physically bigger, stronger, and on paper should be the better fighter.  The bobcat won because it fights hard.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:22:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Patterdale.
View Quote

Oh yea. And a Jagd terrier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:58:02 AM EDT
[#14]
It isn't the size of the dog for bobcats, it is the thickness of the coat.  Some dogs are bread to have coats that are too thick for claws and fangs to get into.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 1:30:30 PM EDT
[#15]
A 20-30lb dog will not defeat a 20-30lb bobcat.

Cats run/survive solo. Dogs have to travel in packs to be effective.

/thread

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 2:05:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I think that you are deliberately avoiding my point. How can you watch the videos of one Dogo vs one puma and think " man, a bobcat would fuck that dog up instantly as @ArchEtech commented on page 2 ?

Check this video out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydsnn8meSZw

I would bet money that the cat in that video died of his injuries.  The dog , no doubt, got fucked up..  but that cat died. A 20 pound cat would stand no chance... NO CHANCE against that dog.
View Quote

That was a weird video. Looked more like they were playing. Slow movements. No blood that I could see. Dog not going for head/neck. Not fighting like any cat or dog I've ever seen fight.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Cats have more weapons.

Dogs are fighting for fun. Cats are fighting to live.

Pound for pound, my money will always be on the cat.

I've seen plenty of dogs fight plenty of critters, namely coon hounds and coons/possums/ground hogs/other dogs.
View Quote

Coon hounds are not purpose bred dogs to kill other predators.  Everyone compares scenting hounds, herding dogs, and prey holding dogs to predators...that’s a stupid comparison.

Compare purpose bred prey killing dogs like the Jagd and dachshund and the fight is much more in the dogs favor.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
It is apparent most of y’all haven’t spent a lot of time with game dogs hunting and killing live prey. I hear a lot of facts from people guessing.
It depends on the dog, the cat, and the circumstances.
I have seen 45lb Catahoulas that will fight to the death and fuck a grown bobcat up. Pit bulls will also. They will get cut badly and punctured up. Stitches usually needed. Dogs will go for the throat  and won’t let go until it’s dead, crushing the windpipe and breaking bones. Seen it too many times with all manner of animals. Yes they could get disemboweled. They may not. An experienced dog will avoid it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
60lb Leopards kill 450lb gorillas like they aren't shit, so you're probably going to need more than one dog and preferably with longer hair.

View Quote
Ambush vs fight.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cats are tough, tougher than the average dag.
That being said I know of one really smart pit bull & VERY well trained that killed large house cats literally in one bite and shake.
Nailed the cat midship and broke its back in one bite before shaking the hell out of it.

Most of the terrier breed is like a wound garage door spring......
View Quote
Cats are not tough animals.  Thin skinned and light bones.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Cats are not tough animals.  Thin skinned and light bones.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:31:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Rat Terrier . Ours didn't back down from anything.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Gonna come down largely to luck. If the cat gets under or on the back of most anything, its gonna die. Might still kill the cat first, but guts hanging out or a bite in the c-spine will kill the dog. 40 pound wild cat is nothing to fuck with.

My large rottie killed some yotes in the yard easily, but she did it by running into them with her mouth open hoping to bite. Really mostly steamrolled them, ending up straddling them and biting down on the head before picking them up and thrashing them side to side until dead. A bobcat would have disemboweled her in that situation.
View Quote

It comes down to breeding.

Your rot isn’t designed to hunt things.  It’s designed to herd and guard things.  It certainly has the ability to kill things but there’s a difference between kill and hunt.  Rott’s are big boned, loose skin, herding/guard dogs.  They can take lots of punishment and if they catch something, inflict incredible damage but they’re not bred to catch things.  They’re there to intervene if the herd is under attack but they are more of a deterrent to predators than anything.  A big cat looks at herd and sees it guarded by a herding dog like a rott.  It’s going to go find easier prey or if it does catch something and the rott comes lumbering along...unass the area and not finish the job.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:09:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Here's a Babcat mauling a boy in his own kitchen, a small dag wouldn't have a chance with such a terrible kittah!  

The Tiger King? No, But This Boy Is Definitely The Bobcat King.

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]

This little doggy right here
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#27]

This little Doggy right here!
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It comes down to breeding.

Your rot isn’t designed to hunt things.  It’s designed to herd and guard things.  It certainly has the ability to kill things but there’s a difference between kill and hunt.  Rott’s are big boned, loose skin, herding/guard dogs.  They can take lots of punishment and if they catch something, inflict incredible damage but they’re not bred to catch things.  They’re there to intervene if the herd is under attack but they are more of a deterrent to predators than anything.  A big cat looks at herd and sees it guarded by a herding dog like a rott.  It’s going to go find easier prey or if it does catch something and the rott comes lumbering along...unass the area and not finish the job.
View Quote

Not too sure about a Rottweiler, but Livestock Guardians would be very suited to taking on small to larger predators. That is their purpose in life, and most of the more well know breeds are very good at it. Other dogs are bred for hunting lions, and they would probably do well if not too many generations of Mrs. Ivy's house dogging.
Don't confuse these with a herding dog. Some are trainable to be hearers, but they are a part of the herd. They tend to the young and the compromised very well. They may even herd them together, but this is for an end.
Most of the breeds mentioned won't do well against an undomesticated cat. They are a house dog. Some might win out, given the right day, but they aren't built or made for cats. Working dogs can be great for a lot of uses, but I'd keep them away from a wild cat. Chances are the cat would avoid the fight if it could anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 8:51:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Wild animals didn’t get that big by being soft. Most domesticated animals are soft.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup. My akita is bad ass, and I've told friends that she could kill just about anything if she weighed #250. Except for a 250# cat. NO comparison.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:47:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wait... so a badger is as quick and athletic as a cat?
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

This. Wild animals didn’t get that big by being soft. Most domesticated animals are soft.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, they get that big from eating animals with little to no defenses like cottontails,  squirrels,  deer, frogs, and any other opportunity that presents itself.

Pumas dont grow to adulthood by killing & eating wolves. Bobcats dont grow to adulthood by killing & eating coyotes.  They target prey animals.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
About twenty over 38 years.

Cats are predators, aside from each other they aren’t really fighters. They are classic predators and prey on things, they tend to fight to get away. They don’t prey on other predators.

Dogs are predators that break that rule. They will fight and they will attack things that are too large and or dangerous to be prey.

I’m not talking about a dog chasing, warning or fucking with a bobcat. I’m talking about a dog that is intent on killing one.

I’m getting the sense that you haven’t really seen a dog that wants to kill. They only end up in fights when the target is capable of lasting longer than the initial attack.

If you want to argue my estimation of the size of dog that’s fine. But if my Australian cattle dog or boxer/German Sheppard mix wanted to kill a bobcat, they’d kill it. I’m not saying they wouldn’t get injured, even seriously. But the cat would be toast.
View Quote

Though I agree with much of what you posted. Pound for pound the cat is still more lethal, IF it wants to be.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#35]
The Jagdterrier, also known as the German Jagdterrier, and developed in Germany as a hunting and working breed. they are talented in hunting some of the most ferocious prey including bobcats, badgers, foxes, and even cougars.

https://doggiefetch.com/the-jagdterrier-dog-breed/

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:04:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Historically these energetic, hard working pooches were used to go underground to hunt badger, fox, and raccoons but they were also good at driving wild boar and rabbits out of hiding areas and could double as a “bloodhound” locating wounded animals such as deer.  They have also been known to take on the occasional bobcat and cougar.

https://www.smalldogplace.com/jagdterrier.html
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Underdog. wolf is the only dog I would bet for against a 30lb cat. sorry, bobkitty will destroy any mutt unless the dog gets a lucky throat grab and can take the shredding
View Quote

Last week a Babcat killed a border collie in our neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:34:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Jagdterrier vs Bobcat thread.

They do in deed kill bobcats. Jagterriers are not pets, I looked into them before getting a Parson because they're too much dog for me. Totally nuts killing machines.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:38:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here's a Babcat mauling a boy in his own kitchen, a small dag wouldn't have a chance with such a terrible kittah!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg2HTHt02sA
View Quote

He looks like he's 50% having fun and 50% terrified. Neat trick.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Jagdterrier

https://www.petguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/jagdterrier.jpg

20-30 lbs of hell on wheels that lives to kill things.
View Quote

Speaking of Jagdterriers and bobcats... that’s how this little guy lost an ear!

JAGDTERRIER'S THE ULTIMATE HUNTER OF SMALL GAME
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:15:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

this

all day
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Let put it this way. A full grown coyote will not fuck around with a bobcat one on one nine times out of ten, and would definitely not whip it in a fight.  

Anything smaller, and domestic, would be bobcat lunch. I don’t care what kind of “prey drive” or breeding it has.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Let put it this way. A full grown coyote will not fuck around with a bobcat one on one nine times out of ten, and would definitely not whip it in a fight.  

Anything smaller, and domestic, would be bobcat lunch. I don’t care what kind of “prey drive” or breeding it has.
View Quote

You’ve been proven very wrong already.

Coyotes ultimately have a strong survival instinct. There are some breeds who have had that all but bred out. They give themselves over entirely to the kill. And that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't know about the smallest but I would put my money on my Husky killing one .

I'd have a vet bill after but he will kill it .
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#45]

that vid seals the deal on how a bobcat would utterly destroy a dog like that. that fox managed to claw up that dog while doing next to nothing to defend itself. it was also a tiny fox. a bobcat would have killed that dog in less than 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#46]
So what is the smallest dog that could take one out? This Jaegermeistser dog? Dogo? Anatolian?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tosa Inu is known to be a cat killer, but I suspect it would probably be fucked up and lose. No big kitties here in Japan.

Not sure if a bobcat could get through the neck fur and skin of a Turkish Kangal, that would be a brutal fight.
View Quote

A Kangal would kill a bobcat. A terrier would be like opening a bag of chips for the cat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File

Bad ass Bobcat.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

My family has had them for decades. Their old wire got ahold of a German shepherd by the throat and killed it.
View Quote
Dogs cant rake with rear claws. A terrier on a cats neck is going to get its intestines spilled on the ground pretty fucking quick. Thats why its *really* hard for anything else to fight a cat. If that cant get you with the front claws and teeth they will put those rear claws to damn good use.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Dogs cant rake with rear claws. A terrier on a cats neck is going to get its intestines spilled on the ground pretty fucking quick. Thats why its *really* hard for anything else to fight a cat. If that cant get you with the front claws and teeth they will put those rear claws to damn good use.
View Quote

Have you ever seen a dog?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top