Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2021 3:35:58 PM EDT
The annual Scout Sniper Association rifle raffle is going on right now and the winning ticket gets drawn on July 4th! Last year we raffled off a Mk13 Mod 7, this year we're going old school with a Vietnam War era USMC M40! Even though this rifle is an M40 clone, it was built with an attention to detail using very rare original parts.

You can buy raffle tickets and find more information about this amazing rifle over on the Scout Sniper Association's website:

https://scoutsniper.org/contribute/2021-vietnam-m40-rifle-raffle/

I'll answer any questions you guys might have about this rifle raffle, just post them here in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:45:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome!

I was in last year, im in again. Happy to support an awesome organization.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:49:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome!

I was in last year, im in again. Happy to support an awesome organization.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/temp-97.gif
View Quote
Thank you very much for your support!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I might be in for some tickets, but damn, I’d have to give that rifle right back (or trade for a “close enough” reproduction).
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I am in!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#5]
If I win I'm ordering a pair of those tan booty shorts and heading to the range
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:18:48 PM EDT
[#6]
In for 15 tickets! Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 4:55:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the support, gentlemen! Whoever wins this rifle needs to throw on some tiger stripe camo and take it hunting!

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:04:17 PM EDT
[#8]
In!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool rifle. Think I spent $100 in the last auction.

It still bugs the shit out of me that a company like Savage, Winchester, or Remington can't build a damn heavy barreled rifle with a wood stock. Not laminate, but wood.

Like there is nothing available. Some people just want a fun range gun and don't give a shit about the extreme weather effects on wood and justifying a synthetic.

The closest thing is that limited Remington M40 Vietnam version where they stuffed a PSS barrel/action in a wood stock.

Just wish someone offered a regular model like this.

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 5:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the support, gentlemen! Whoever wins this rifle needs to throw on some tiger stripe camo and take it hunting!

https://scoutsniper.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/NamM40-2048x1875.jpeg
View Quote

Did those old Redfields have that much eye relief? Seems it's really mounted forward on the rings.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 6:57:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did those old Redfields have that much eye relief? Seems it's really mounted forward on the rings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://scoutsniper.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/NamM40-2048x1875.jpeg

The scopes don't have crazy amounts of eye relief, the main reason the snipers slid the scope so far forward was to jam the turret housing into the front scope rings. This locks the scope in place during recoil, so the scope can't slide forward. They were trying to squeeze every little bit of accuracy out of the weapon system and repeatedly plays a large part.

My original M40 is also set up this way:

Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:06:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The scopes don't have crazy amounts of eye relief, the main reason the snipers slid the scope so far forward was to jam the turret housing into the front scope rings. This locks the scope in place during recoil, so the scope can't slide forward. They were trying to squeeze every little bit of accuracy out of the weapon system and repeatedly plays a large part.

https://i.imgur.com/MLmHVUF.jpg
View Quote

thats pretty dam cool
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 7:54:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cool rifle. Think I spent $100 in the last auction.

It still bugs the shit out of me that a company like Savage, Winchester, or Remington can't build a damn heavy barreled rifle with a wood stock. Not laminate, but wood.

Like there is nothing available. Some people just want a fun range gun and don't give a shit about the extreme weather effects on wood and justifying a synthetic.

The closest thing is that limited Remington M40 Vietnam version where they stuffed a PSS barrel/action in a wood stock.

Just wish someone offered a regular model like this.

View Quote
The closest I can think of off the top of my head would be the Cooper Classic. I think they start a little less than $3k, which might be around the current price of the older Remington M40 commemorative rifles. I bought a Cooper about 20 years ago, the wood stock is beautiful and it's very accurate.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:10:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

thats pretty dam cool
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

thats pretty dam cool
Indeed it is! The Marines learned a lot about sniping during the Vietnam War and all that knowledge became the foundation for building their next rifle, the M40A1. The original M40 was literally a slightly modified hunting rifle, but it was used under extreme conditions. The Marine snipers knew their rifles and they pushed them to their limits.

It's amazing that original parts are still around, most of this stuff is long gone. The original parts on this raffle rifle is what truly makes this clone special! There's a lot of M40 clones/replicas out there, but only a handful that have been built using original USMC parts!
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:26:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not a gambling man. Good luck to everyone else.
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm not worthy
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 8:51:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I always enjoyed doing the annual LTI/PMCS on the M40 A1. The weapons log books occasionally had a "confirmed kill" notation, being the late '90s, we always wondered where they occured.....
Link Posted: 6/23/2021 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#20]
In for a 3 pack.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:16:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
In for a 3 pack.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:38:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Aye - Jarheads will be Jarheads - nice error on the main page listing, re. the leather sling part of the package

The correct model/name of the issue leather sling was the M1907 - they've called it the M1917 = that designation was the Kerr canvas sling, more commonly used on the Thompson SMG etc.

Will see if I can buy tickets - and I also NEED to find a better lump of wood for my own M40 build - the stock I have to use is a period 721(722?) one, but the barrel channel is not wide enough - and try to find someone in the UK who can open up a barrel channel..!
Aside from that I have all the bits aside from the tombstone safety & Wichita swivels - then I will have at it

Will make for a good "cousin" for my M24 & a closer relative for my pre-war M70 which is soon to have a correct Douglas barrel fitted to & my original M1903A4
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:07:56 AM EDT
[#23]
In for 15

Chance at an awesome rifle, good cause, what better reason to throw down some scratch?

As for the earlier poster about nothing being made with a heavy barrel and wood stock, if you're willing to go foreign and work with an orthopedic-looking piece of wood, CZ has something that might work. https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-557-varmint/
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#24]
In for some. Sent the link to my S/S BIL too.

Either one of us will definitely hunt with it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you everyone who's bought tickets! Only 8 days left until the drawing!
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
yeah
I learned the hard way that it's easy to recoil a rifle beneath the scope with Redfield mounts if you don't use that simple little trick.

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I’m in again, tickets bought.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:43:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
yeah
I learned the hard way that it's easy to recoil a rifle beneath the scope with Redfield mounts if you don't use that simple little trick.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah

I didn't want to admit it, but I found out the hard way as well, the photo of my rifle in the previous post was taken after the shooting range. Here's a few older photos of it prior to hitting the range:

Even though the scope slid over an inch, it still held under 1 MOA at 100 yards
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Final week to get tickets, don't miss out on this extraordinary rifle!
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#30]
What is the value of this rifle now?

I have one NIB with the coin
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What is the value of this rifle now?

I have one NIB with the coin
View Quote

This rifle is different than your SSA commemorative rifle. This one was built from the ground up using original parts and a vintage 7 digit receiver that's close to the original serial number range. That makes this rifle one of a kind. There were over 1,000 of the SSA commemorative rifles made about 15 years ago, all the parts on those rifles are modern reproductions. Your rifle is probably worth around $3,500 NIB, whereas the value of this raffle rifle with original parts is close to $10,000.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Raffle is tomorrow, last call for tickets! Thank you everyone who has purchased tickets already, 100% of the proceeds goes directly to the USMC sniper platoons and USMC sniper veterans who are in need of assistance!

The drawing will be held at 3:17pm Eastern ans broadcast on Facebook live. Here's a link to the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/USMCSSA/
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:13:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Didn't even hear about this one, so in for 3.

Thanks for the heads up, good organization.

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Raffle is tomorrow, last call for tickets! Thank you everyone who has purchased tickets already, 100% of the proceeds goes directly to the USMC sniper platoons and USMC sniper veterans who are in need of assistance!

The drawing will be held at 3:17pm Eastern ans broadcast on Facebook live. Here's a link to the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/USMCSSA/
View Quote

in

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Thank you gentlemen, best of luck to you tomorrow!!!
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#36]
ordered
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
ordered
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:50:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Just saw this and got in before it ended! Great cause!
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I was disappointed that I didn't win last time. In for more disappointment!

I even have 200 rds of 173gr 1965 match ammo for it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:58:25 PM EDT
[#40]
In for a $100
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was disappointed that I didn't win last time. In for more disappointment!

I even have 200 rds of 173gr 1965 match ammo for it.
View Quote

Maybe you can donate the ammo to the winner
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 11:29:00 PM EDT
[#42]
You guys guys are fucking awesome! I'd really like to see someone on this forum win the raffle! Remember to check out the drawing live tomorrow, you don't need a facebook accout to watch it, just click the link in my previous post and look for the live feed!
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 5:49:54 AM EDT
[#43]
My body is ready to win this incredible rifle.   Today’s the day.

Thanks OP
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#44]
#05424, not me
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 12:27:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Congratulations Scott, I hope you enjoy this epic rifle! Thanks again to everyone who bought tickets!
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 8:03:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Apparently not me either.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top