Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 12
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
EV's should be cheaper than ICE vehicles.  We WILL be driving EV's, but the surge will occur when:

1.  Battery efficiency allows 2x current range + charging times are cut in half; and
2.  Vehicle prices decline.

Another innovation is someone producing a "power egg" to convert ICEs to EVs.  This will allow for historic, collector, and other ICEs to remain on the road.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:36:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Self driving car.
A new pick up runs over $60k or so now. I doubt prices will be going down anytime soon. What will the electric car cost in the future?
Seems I've been reading millenials really don't care about owning a car, with the self driving cars they won't need to own, they can hail one with their phone and pay with an app.
View Quote

I think it will be a while before we have self driving cars, but I don't see the downside either.

A car and 15,000 miles a year costs nearly $10,000. A place to park it can cost a couple hundred dollars a month.

If you spend less than $1,000/mo on transportation it's cheaper than owning a car.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#3]
All those electric cars are going to be useless when the next major hurricane caused hundreds of thousands to evacuate 500 miles away.  Peopkw end up sitting in traffic for 10 hours as the interstates turn into parking lots.

Not nearly enough chargers and they take too long to charge.

After the storms hit the power is always out for weeks so good luck charging up your E-Coal cars.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I would like an Electric truck and not having to stop at shitty gas stations every 350 miles. But are the prices going to do down?  Are EV cheaper to manufacture?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All those electric cars are going to be useless when the next major hurricane caused hundreds of thousands to evacuate 500 miles away.  

After the storms hit the power is always out for weeks so good luck charging up your E-Coal cars.
View Quote

Is that what you do in Houston? Every time a storm hits you get in the car and drive right past Dallas, or San Antonio, or Austin and you head to Lubbock, or Oklahoma City, or Little Rock?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think I would like an Electric truck and not having to stop at shitty gas stations every 350 miles. But are the prices going to do down?  Are EV cheaper to manufacture?
View Quote

EV prices are falling, ICE prices are rising, they will converge in the next 5 years and EVs will be cheaper after that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:43:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I may buy an EV as a daily commuter, but not until I can charge it from an off grid solar set up.

Definitely would keep an ICE for road trips and trailering things.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's basic logic.

Gasoline is easy to control... I don't know why some GD smoothbrains think otherwise.
View Quote

I can easly make my own electricity I can't make a viable gasoline.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
If the idiots would design a quick-change battery pack standard that you can drive in and swap out in a minute this would all be sorted rather quickly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If the idiots would design a quick-change battery pack standard that you can drive in and swap out in a minute this would all be sorted rather quickly.
View Quote

Apparently the joke is on you because there was a company that tried that and they didn't make it.

They invested $850,000,000 in that business and got back $450,000 in the liquidation sale.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
you WILL buy power for your vehicle from the grid. We will know where you go and what you do. Your social score will determine the level of charge your vehicle receives.

Resistance is futile.
View Quote

No, Resistance is V/I
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
something I found interesting is that at least in NY EVs pay less tolls. But they're not paying gas taxes and we're told gas taxes pay for roads. So EVs are a drain on road maintenance as they cause as much wear and tear but aren't funding them.
View Quote

which is why some places are putting GPS on the vehicle to track miles driven and charge accordingly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#13]
If you currently own a relatively new gasoline car, then it will likely be your last gasoline car, contrary to OP's article.

Your next car will almost certainly be electric.

That's just the way the market is moving, and eventually you'll have no choice because EV will be the only option available.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#14]
The 45 minute recharge time and low range per charge are Huge drawbacks.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
you WILL buy power for your vehicle from the grid. We will know where you go and what you do. Your social score will determine the level of charge your vehicle receives.

Resistance is futile.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:25:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We're a third world dictator's bad day away from $8 a gallon gasoline.
View Quote

I'm kinda hoping for another period of high gas prices so I can get a deal on a new truck  ;-)
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I want a car where the drivetrain is fully electric to get all the performance benefits (quad-motor, 1,000+ HP AWD, instant torque, torque vectoring, etc), but powered by a small, highly efficient ICE generator for indefinite range. That’s my dream sports car. I don’t care about the emissions or whether it’s better for the environment, it’s pretty clear at this point that electric motors have greater performance potential while the range issue can be resolved by keeping a gasoline generator for powering the whole thing
View Quote

Until you actually use the 1000+ hp and it shuts down with the new technology to determine if you are driving like you could be intoxicated that is included in the infrastructure bill...LOL
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
EV's should be cheaper than ICE vehicles.  We WILL be driving EV's, but the surge will occur when:

1.  Battery efficiency allows 2x current range + charging times are cut in half; and

Another innovation is someone producing a "power egg" to convert ICEs to EVs.  This will allow for historic, collector, and other ICEs to remain on the road.

View Quote

You know I wouldn't mind having an EV similar to my current mazda 3.  However, TESLA is the ONLY maker I would even consider at this point with a  similar size is a Tesla Y that starts at $50,000.  No way am I paying that for a car that is only my grocery getter and run about.  Don't give a shot how much the sycophants claim I will be saving it will never break even or be less than my ICE.

Now I would also have to have a special recharging station installed because I live in the country and my cars don't reside in a garage and they are parked on a gravel drive about 100 feet from the house.  

So yeah not going to happen at the current prices.  I'll live with my under $30,000 ICE and gas for the grocery getting and a big ass honking farm truck for farm stuff and hauling my vintage military vehicles.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#20]
They said that about cell phones too.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:52:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you currently own a relatively new gasoline car, then it will likely be your last gasoline car, contrary to OP's article.

That's just the way the market is moving, and eventually you'll have no choice because EV will be the only option available.
View Quote

And they told me my next vehicle would be an automatic and electric.

It's gas, AWD with a 6 speed.

I fully intend for my next vehicle to be AWD, manual and hopefully turbodiesel. If I can't find that in the new market I'll buy it used. If I can't buy it used I'll get something AWD with a manual and diesel swap it.

All this electric vehicle "green" virtue signalling while using electricity generated by burning coal and fossil fuels. Oh so "green".

The infrastructure is not here to support mass electric vehicles. The refilling network for electric makes my day trip turn into a 2-3 day ordeal. Screw that.

Gas vehicles still rule the road and will for a long long time. People are not about to give up convenance of pulling to the pump, filling up in 5 minutes and being on their way. The gearhead crowd, like me, are not about to give up headers and superchargers and turbos and all the wonderful noises those give you. It would be a depressing world without the sounds of those.

Every electric car owner I know said they are OK with it for short trips or short commutes. Other than that they will always use their primary gas or diesel vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#22]
I swear you think about EVs more than Elon does.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I would like for someone to answer a question for me.

Exactly why couldn't an alternator be used on electric cars?  I realize the gas engine usually turns the belts which turns the alternator that supplies the power that the alternator generates to keep the batteries charged up so that wouldn't exactly work in this case.

But in absense of a gasoline engine, why could a fifth wheel in contact with the road and turning not be used the same way?
View Quote

Because that’s not how this works. That’s not how any of this works.

Second Law of Thermodynamics if you must have an answer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As long as car purchases are made in a free market environment.....

View Quote

The critical part
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Coal fueled vehicles….
View Quote

Damn straight!
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:07:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Electrical power isn't? lol
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's basic logic.

Gasoline is easy to control... I don't know why some GD smoothbrains think otherwise.

Electrical power isn't? lol

Pics of the gasoline refinery in your backyard?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:09:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I realize that it wouldn't recharge at a 1:1 rate.  

But, you can step up the voltage and make it essentially whatever you want the output to be.  Just using different gears and coil windings or whatever.  Same principle as hydro

But, I don't claim to be an engineer and I don't play one on TV/
View Quote

No, you can’t gain power from your own locomotion.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
But EVs are so fast!!!
View Quote

LOL...Tesla's vs Street outlaws !!!  Perfect discovery episode.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
EVs are interesting but they are nowhere near ready for prime time. They tech is just not there yet. When you can go 450 miles on a charge and recharge anywhere in 10 minutes, then it will become a game changer.

Of course, the government pushing them means it's good for them, not necessarily for us.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you see where EVs are a meager 2% of sales in the USA?  We shall track it.  Maybe if it approaches 25-30% your future may come true or that percentage may never be surpassed.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Apparently the joke is on you because there was a company that tried that and they didn't make it.

They invested $850,000,000 in that business and got back $450,000 in the liquidation sale.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, so because one company some time in the past attempted and failed the concept should just be thrown out?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#32]
This is social engineering, plain and simple.

The car companies are not responding to customer demand, they're adhering to wokeism and government edicts.

No good will come of this.

But the leftists will be happy, because it's a big step towards the eventual goal of getting everyone into public transportation and small apartments.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:28:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is that what you do in Houston? Every time a storm hits you get in the car and drive right past Dallas, or San Antonio, or Austin and you head to Lubbock, or Oklahoma City, or Little Rock?
View Quote

I grew up here in Houston (I'm 68) and while I've been through several hurricanes (and tropical storms) I've never evacuated. But with power often being out for 1-2 weeks after a storm I'll have to leave the Tesla in the garage and drive the Jeep.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:29:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I bought an electric vehicle today.  

EZGO golf cart with lithium batteries.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oh, so because one company some time in the past attempted and failed the concept should just be thrown out?
View Quote

Even if it did work, the end result is a car that you own and a battery that you don't.

Still cool with it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
EVs are interesting but they are nowhere near ready for prime time. They tech is just not there yet. When you can go 450 miles on a charge and recharge anywhere in 10 minutes, then it will become a game changer.

Of course, the government pushing them means it's good for them, not necessarily for us.
View Quote

Why 450 miles? Why not 4500? Or 45000?

Is it because 5 years ago you were saying 200 miles and 20 minute recharges, and now that you can do that you had to increase it to make it more difficult?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Even if it did work, the end result is a car that you own and a battery that you don't.

Still cool with it?
View Quote

Am. The battery is consumable; its like buying propane gas bottles, as long as you have an empty for deposit you're golden. And no one said you couldn't own your own batteries either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:39:56 PM EDT
[#38]
I think they make great second vehicles, but they often do not check all the boxes to be an only vehicle.  The push will be to limit private vehicles in general, so I suspect a lot of the rental fleets will go electric if the numbers can be made to work.  Rental can be done a lot of ways, including long term leasing.  The rental companies can always have a small number of ice vehicles available for the times people actually need them - unless everyone needs them at the same time.

My next vehicle (unless I get a classic truck in the next few months) will most likely be electric - but I don't really plan to downsize my current ice fleet by more than 1 vehicle.  That said, at my age, it is possible I will never buy another new vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#39]
want the truth in numbers? ( I fucking love this chart)
in 2020 electricity was 1% of total transportation energy. and to totally swap to electric vehicles we would need to triple our current electricity capacity. good luck opening that many new power plants with osha around.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:42:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Did someone say Tesla?
I'm in when they don't need batteries.  
Just put one of these every hundred miles or so.  

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Exactly why couldn't an alternator be used on electric cars?  I realize the gas engine usually turns the belts which turns the alternator that supplies the power that the alternator generates to keep the batteries charged up so that wouldn't exactly work in this case.

But in absense of a gasoline engine, why could a fifth wheel in contact with the road and turning not be used the same way?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:49:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Electric cars isn’t the goal.

You not having a car period is the goal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:50:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
All those electric cars are going to be useless when the next major hurricane caused hundreds of thousands to evacuate 500 miles away.  

Have you ever been in the path of a hurricane?

LC
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Just bought a new vehicle. A week on Saturday. It's an EV!

Just kidding.  It's a new full size pickup truck with a V-8 gasoline engine!

As it should be.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

https://media4.giphy.com/media/SBm5Xj6E1iFaNA4l5g/giphy.gif
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://media4.giphy.com/media/SBm5Xj6E1iFaNA4l5g/giphy.gif

It's a dumb idea and the smartest people in the business bailed on it almost a decade ago.

The path forward is denser batteries with longer life and faster charging.  We are only about a 25% improvement in range and a 25% improvement in charging rate away from people not ever thinking about the battery swapping concept ever again.

Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Name one single manufacturer that is planning to continue producing a majority of ICE vehicles. You can’t because there aren’t any. Everyone is all in on EVs.
View Quote

Name a major car brand that has retooled a majority of ICE vehicles for EV.
Most brands have a token "me too" EV, but I don't think anything changes anytime soon.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Resistance is futile.
View Quote

You guys that say this shit don't realize how stupid it sounds.  Every new car can be tracked or shut off remotely.  What is it about an electric car that makes that easier to do ? You could charge it off grid with solar panels which would arguably give you more freedom.  

I don't give a shit about electric cars... to pound around daily driver they probably are pretty economical really wouldn't mind one.   Doesn't mean I'm not gonna get my my twin turbo 427 lsx and do 100mph rolling burnouts burning corn gas.  

People that think electric cars are gonna save the planet are stupid as well
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:59:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
you serious Clark?
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:01:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tesla already does this
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We're a third world dictator's bad day away from $8 a gallon gasoline.
View Quote

How much of the worlds available lithium supply does China control?

How much of the worlds semiconductor production does China control?
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top