-Chalk line maybe
-Compound miter saw & new baseboard afyer you tear out & replace the existing
-Moar beer for when the other beer is gone
View Quote

I’d have somebody install it.  
I’m talking. Looks and durability
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:24:54 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I hated was when big gals in high heels walked on it, their heel left divits.

Anymore you can get ceramic tile and vinyl that look like wood.  Both are more durable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have some plank in my house and the shit I bought is pretty tough.

My buddy got the laminate and regrets it. He's busted it in a couple spots from dropping stuff. When he inquired about it the manufacture sent him what was essentially a crayon to fill in the spots that had divets.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I tear out lots of it that has been water damaged and replace with luxury vinyl plank. Generally LifeProof or better quality. Laminate flooring makes me a lot of money lol.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a new carbide saw blade and consider it part of the price for installing new flooring.

You need a nice sharp blade to get good clean cuts and most of these laminates have a layer of metal just under the surface for strength. This will dull the blade after so many 100s of square feet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#7]
We were looking at this recently and settled on waterproof vinyl plank. I've installed laminate before, but vinyl plank seems better overall.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
As long as it doesnt get soaked its fine.  Finish is more durable than most LVP’s and its harder.  

Stay away from big box store junk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Aquire:
-Table saw
-Jigsaw
-Oscillating multi-tool
-Specialty tools such as:
  -Crowbar-ish tool
  -Block to beat/tap against *if need be
-Tape measure
-Pencil
-Beer for knee & back aches when done
-Chalk line maybe
-Compound miter saw & new baseboard afyer you tear out & replace the existing
-Moar beer for when the other beer is gone

Oh, then buy a decent product that provides some level of protection from water...

...stuff comes with wood grain texture nowadays too, which is nice
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#10]
OP,,,Buy the best engineered product you can and MAKE SURE that it sits undisturbed for several days if not longer so that it can acclimate to your environment. We have a 100 lb. Boxer. Our flooring is 11 years old and looks as if it's brand new.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 3:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Worked at a plant for 6 years that made laminate.
Lots of variables. Lots of technological innovation.
Going from mdf core to various resins mean they are much more spill resistant.
I used to give plant tours. I would tell guests that laminate is like superman, it only has one weakness.
Now that water is no longer an issue, that's no longer true.
LVT has taken most of the market share because it's more scratch resistant and can be less expensive.
Some laminate is prone to squeaking. A good installer hides expansion joints under the quarterround.
Lots of options for visuals. Dark will show dust unless you get a hand scraped look that hides it well.

Pm me if I can help with anything else
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Buy a new carbide saw blade and consider it part of the price for installing new flooring.

You need a nice sharp blade to get good clean cuts and most of these laminates have a layer of metal just under the surface for strength. This will dull the blade after so many 100s of square feet.
View Quote

Not exactly. Most use aluminum oxide dust impregnated in the paper used as the visual layer. 4 th hardest substance. We used diamond blades saws to mill it. Still wears them down fast.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#13]
It's a lot nicer than the plastic stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:10:19 PM EDT
[#14]
If at all possible,  avoid floating floors.   They sound and feel cheap all too often.

Make sure you subflooring is absolutely level or you will not be happy with the results.
Link Posted: 9/19/2021 4:21:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If at all possible,  avoid floating floors.   They sound and feel cheap all too often.

Make sure you subflooring is absolutely level or you will not be happy with the results.
View Quote

Agree, if you have concrete glue it down and nail it if you are going over wood.

Get the good glue that acts as a moisture barrier and apply it exactly to the directions.
I used some frog stuff and it was expensive, almost as much as the flooring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top