Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/19/2021 4:52:11 PM EDT
Wife asked me which one to buy, I have no Idea.  There are a bunch of them available, from $35 to $200.  Which one is the best?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought a Food Saver from Sams

Works good
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#2]
mine is from Costco, 150 bucks on sale, it's awesome
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no idea but my buddy, who used these a lot said make sure to get one that opens up a full 90 degrees and stays open without holding it.

Apparently there are some that don't fully open so you have to hold them open and it's highly aggravating.

He launches into profanity filled tirades about them and his wife rolls her eyes
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

We’ll boo. I was just in Costco today and mulled over the idea of getting one, but ended up not. I’ll have to go back and get it in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Food Saver, does the job

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, Food Saver it is!
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#7]
VacMaster VP 215
Buy once and all that
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Woah there Tex....that's pretty much like asking 'my wife said I could buy a shotgun, what's best?'

Lots of kinds of Vacuum Sealers out there.  

I've had a couple and look forward to getting a better one down the road.

Current one is a Game Saver model from Foodsaver...slightly wider seal  and I can do multiple bags without overheating.

First question is to figure what you're going to do with it?   A few bags occasionally, or a bunch of food (many bags) all at once?

Second is wet or dry food?

How big is the food?   Gonna vac seal a whole ham or just a couple of chicken breasts?

One of the AK guys on here has a Chamber Vac machine (commercial)   The whole chamber has the air pulled out of it, so you can actually vac seal soup, etc....that's overkill and the cheapest home units are $500+

So, you probably want a more traditional external vac sealer.   That's the kind you put the mouth of the bag in and press a button and watch the bag deflate...but if it's got liquid, it can get sucked into the machine.

So:

Go for the widest sealing bar you need (bag width), with the largest seal (how much of the bag is melted, if you go to small, you'll be doing 2 seals on every bag just to be safe, and also the one that's got the most duty cycle (number of bags before the vac pump gets hot).

@NTXPoke

Chamber sealer at $1200:  

Commercial External Sealer at $450:  

Gamesaver at Circa $155 (not for sale on Amazon), can do about 60 seals before needing to cool a bit:  

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Costco has one on sale this week for $99.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’ve had this one for probably 5 years and it gets used regularly.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#12]
A bit of an addendum to the above:

I hated the 'automatic' Foodsaver one I got..slide the bag in and it starts.  Always had a fold, etc.   Gave it away.

I almost never use roll bags.   Go to a restaurant supply store and buy:  6 x 8 bags (pint) 50 for $3.50, 8 x 10 (qt) for $5.80, etc. (prices from a quick check on a restaurant supply place).
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#13]
They all suck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They all suck.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#15]
The cycle time between overheating is pretty important. I have used mine a lot over the past years putting up meat in the freezer and turning a 10lb chub into smaller meal friendly packets has overtaxed mine a few times.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If your going to use it regularly, do yourself a favor and get a chamber sealer. I never felt so much joy throwing that piece of shit food saver in the trash.

Spent over $1k for ours including a bunch of bags, the vacmaster AFARR posted, but I wish we would've gotten one years ago now that we have it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#17]
We have the LEM. It has done 1 1/2 cows, an elk, and a deer, plus a ton of other foods. Best one I've ever had. Been abusing it for a couple years now and it has never flinched.

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:05:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If your going to use it regularly, do yourself a favor and get a chamber sealer. I never felt so much joy throwing that piece of shit food saver in the trash.

Spent over $1k for ours including a bunch of bags, the vacmaster AFARR posted, but I wish we would've gotten one years ago now that we have it.
View Quote

@TheShlouf

I'd love to get one, but have nowhere to keep it (my Gamesaver fits under the counter in a cabinet), and a bigger commercial external vac I could squeeze there too, but isn't that chamber vac heavy/bulky?   (I'd probably have to store it in the basement and wouldn't want to hassle with it....however, being able to seal liquids (or marinades around meat, etc.) might be a really nice feature).

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]
People suggesting FoodSaver have never used anything else.  It’s literally the worst option out there, made as cheaply as possible.

I like Weston.  Lem can also be decent.  FoodSaver is the High Point or Taurus of the food vac world.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Woah there Tex....that's pretty much like asking 'my wife said I could buy a shotgun, what's best?'

Current one is a Game Saver model from Foodsaver...slightly wider seal  and I can do multiple bags without overheating.

First question is to figure what you're going to do with it?   A few bags occasionally, or a bunch of food (many bags) all at once?

How big is the food?   Gonna vac seal a whole ham or just a couple of chicken breasts?

One of the AK guys on here has a Chamber Vac machine (commercial)   The whole chamber has the air pulled out of it, so you can actually vac seal soup, etc....that's overkill and the cheapest home units are $500+

So, you probably want a more traditional external vac sealer.   That's the kind you put the mouth of the bag in and press a button and watch the bag deflate...but if it's got liquid, it can get sucked into the machine.

So:

Go for the widest sealing bar you need (bag width), with the largest seal (how much of the bag is melted, if you go to small, you'll be doing 2 seals on every bag just to be safe, and also the one that's got the most duty cycle (number of bags before the vac pump gets hot).

@NTXPoke

Chamber sealer at $1200:   https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-3n1nnt5qyw/images/stencil/608x608/products/6519/7255/vacmaster-vp215-commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer-w-oil-rotary-pump-23__57423.1629747191.jpg?c=1

Commercial External Sealer at $450:   https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71UYrWePK9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gamesaver at Circa $155 (not for sale on Amazon), can do about 60 seals before needing to cool a bit:  https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71tVMSuwnPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

View Quote

I got the same one as the bottom picture, but branded foodsaver. The auto shutoff once it reaches a certain negative pressure stopped working the first time some fluid got pulled out of the bag into the tray. Never worked again. Other than that it's vacuumed and sealed hundreds of items for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I own the Weston Pro 2300, up until a month ago I would have highly recommended it.  

However when I had an issue with it and emailed Weson (no phone contact listed) and waited two weeks to hear back from them with a generic "well maybe you need this part or this part" etc.

Great machines, CS lacking.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a food saver for years now. Still ticking but mine is an older model (10 years old probably)

My friend has 2 commercial ones, one like the vacmaster and it can do wet items and it literally leaves ZERO air. He has a sushi restaurant and uses it there.

He also has one the size of my kitchen table that he uses at his ham facility.  Those seal really well but is overkill for home unless you wanted to seal whole suckling pigs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Cabelas Outdoorsman Gamesaver. it was specifically enginered to be more reliable doing seals and is designed to process large amounts at one time without overheating, Just know you rules of seling double seal on eveything and wrap or freeze your stuff a little bit so juice doesnt run up into the are to be sealed.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 8:25:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Look at this stuff high quality food processing

Meat your Maker
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 10:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@TheShlouf

I'd love to get one, but have nowhere to keep it (my Gamesaver fits under the counter in a cabinet), and a bigger commercial external vac I could squeeze there too, but isn't that chamber vac heavy/bulky?   (I'd probably have to store it in the basement and wouldn't want to hassle with it....however, being able to seal liquids (or marinades around meat, etc.) might be a really nice feature).

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@TheShlouf

@AFARR
Sealing liquids is definitely a game changer, but yeah it's big and heavy as hell. I think 60-70 lbs? Ours stays on a small stainless service cart
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the info everyone, digesting and researching the info now.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Vacmaster chamber vac is the only way to go.

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#30]
I went with Avid Armor several months ago. Huge improvement over my old food saver.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So:

@NTXPoke

Chamber sealer at $1200:   https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-3n1nnt5qyw/images/stencil/608x608/products/6519/7255/vacmaster-vp215-commercial-chamber-vacuum-sealer-w-oil-rotary-pump-23__57423.1629747191.jpg?c=1

Commercial External Sealer at $450:   https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71UYrWePK9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Gamesaver at Circa $155 (not for sale on Amazon), can do about 60 seals before needing to cool a bit:  https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71tVMSuwnPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

View Quote
SOLID ADVICE ^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#32]
I have foodsaver, it blows. The automatic things sucks and barely works. Over the 5 years I’ve had it it stopped pulling the vaccum all the way down, good news is they replaced it bad news is the 2nd one did the same thing 2 years later

It sucks for wet food

If you do it get something else
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
People suggesting FoodSaver have never used anything else.  It’s literally the worst option out there, made as cheaply as possible.

I like Weston.  Lem can also be decent.  FoodSaver is the High Point or Taurus of the food vac world.
View Quote

Maybe so, I use a foodsaver for deer and fish. It can be finicky and you have to hold the bag and press both sides at once simultaneously and if you try to cut the bags as small as possible like I do it can be frustrating. But, once you get the hang of it, it can work well. I've never tried to use it on very wet stuff

I've never used a more expensive type before. I think mine was 200 bucks with a starter pack of bags.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Foodsaver brand.  We've had it for awhile and only recently been using it regularly.  The woman of the house had to lower her A1c before surgery, so we were basically on a Keto diet.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Which one vacuums and seals Mylar bags the best?
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I went with Avid Armor several months ago. Huge improvement over my old food saver.
View Quote

This!

We had an old Food Saver and it was junk. Rarely used it. Now with an Avid, we seal all kinds of shit. I'm a 'just as good' type of guy, but we learned our lesson with the Food Saver and now I'm 'buy once, cry once'.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
For normal household use the food saver works great. Buy the bulk roll on Amazon and you're set.
There are better machines but if you are just sealing leftovers, jerky, steaks then the food saver works well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Three features: Roll bag storage, bag cutter, heat sealing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top