Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2021 9:18:23 AM EDT
Currently, I have all LaRue mounts, but the American Defense brand looks like a good choice especially their newer style QD that clamps on versus a side blade-like attachment.

Also iirc there are some discussions about the scope attachment points either vertical or horizontal that can affect MOA adjustments?

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#1]
If Larue has a mount available, they are always my choice.

What rifle?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you need a quick detach mount on a .50?  I would go with something like a Sphur, MPA, on ARC.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Spuhr or American Rifle Company.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Do you need a quick detach mount on a .50?  I would go with something like a Sphur, MPA, on ARC.
View Quote
Definitely QD as I always take it off when I'm not shooting it - Barrett M107 29" is a big bitch
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Especially the new ARC setups.

ARC ring set ups
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Horizontals are a pain to mount if you ask me. And I think quick detach mounts are gay.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#7]
American  Defense
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I don’t understand the QD requirement for such a rifle but then you have your reason (and stated as such).

Reptilia just released their 34mm AUS Mount. It isn’t QD but should be a nicely machined chunk of aluminum

https://reptiliacorp.com/product/aus-mount-34mm-diameter-39mm-height/

Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't understand the QD requirement for such a rifle but then you have your reason (and stated as such).

Reptilia just released their 34mm AUS Mount. It isn't QD but should be a nicely machined chunk of aluminum

https://reptiliacorp.com/product/aus-mount-34mm-diameter-39mm-height/

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-v4xn0g5bwv/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/2704/14782/REPTILIA_CORP_AUS_MOUNT_-_34MM_DIAMETER_-_39MM_HEIGHT__00078.1633275507.jpg?c=2

View Quote
And shooting a 50 definitely isn't one of those weekend guns with ammo cost and requires planning and in my case a 90 min drive to my wifes  uncle private property and he has lots of hills as a good backstop and I can only do 500 yards. I would use that scope also on my SCAR 17.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I went with the Larue 50BMG for my Armalite AR-50A1. Also in 34mm. It was backordered at the time, but thankfully I got in before they raised the price by 60 bucks. I needed the QD because its the only way this thing is going into its Pelican case. Buy with confidence OP.

Edit: I also had no issues with the built in 30MOA which stacked with a 15MOA riser already on the rifle. Plenty of elevation adjustment to get a 100yard zero with a Trijicon 5-50. I think the Barretts have more MOA built into their rails so something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I went with the Larue 50BMG for my Armalite AR-50A1. Also in 34mm. It was backordered at the time, but thankfully I got in before they raised the price by 60 bucks. I needed the QD because its the only way this thing is going into its Pelican case. Buy with confidence OP.
View Quote

True but I got a Barrett drag bag too
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:37:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

ARC ring set ups
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ARC ring set ups
ARC looks nice with the built in bubble level, they look really sturdy.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came to post exactly this
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:45:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Spuhr
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Edit: I also had no issues with the built in 30MOA which stacked with a 15MOA riser already on the rifle. Plenty of elevation adjustment to get a 100yard zero with a Trijicon 5-50. I think the Barretts have more MOA built into their rails so something to keep in mind.
View Quote

Same here, I went Larue for my AR-50A1 for compactness in moving that beast around.

I have had zero issues with return to zero on it... I paint marked the rail slots so even an idiot like me can keep it consistent.

OP mentioned using the same scope on a different rifle. I'd just get a dedicated scope for each unless you really like putting work on the turret clicks.
SWFA makes very solid fixed power scopes for lower dollars that would be a great 'cheap' option for the 50... I'd do that before I started shuffling my nicer optic between multiple guns.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#17]
What scope did you end up with?

Like yourself I’ve also read about issues with vertically split rings and variable power scopes. Personally I’d just avoid vertically split rings altogether so those supposed problems don’t arise.

One thing that gets overlooked is how a one piece mount is essentially a QD mount. That is, the optic is set in the rings and will not change rotation from gun to gun but the attachment method, instead of being a 30 second removal to full install on the other gun, is now a 1 minute job. All you need is an inch pound torque wrench to tighten the clamps down to their recommended spec.

Personally I don’t see the benefit of a QD scope mount for a long range gun, especially a .50 caliber gun. The QD mount mechanisms will never be as accurate and repeatable in clamping force, nor can you measure that force applied to the rail at home.

Conceptually the QD aspect has merit but in practice it falls short due to the ease and quickness of removing a bolt clamped 1 piece mount.

Something to consider…
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Why the fuck would you take a scope off of a 50 BMG every time?

Just leave it on and use a regular mount like a Spuhr, or some heavy duty Badger rings (which is what I would use). And never use vertically split rings on long range scopes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
You're correct the rail has 27 MOA built in. Perhaps and extra 30 might be much?
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What scope did you end up with?

Like yourself I've also read about issues with vertically split rings and variable power scopes. Personally I'd just avoid vertically split rings altogether so those supposed problems don't arise.

One thing that gets overlooked is how a one piece mount is essentially a QD mount. That is, the optic is set in the rings and will not change rotation from gun to gun but the attachment method, instead of being a 30 second removal to full install on the other gun, is now a 1 minute job. All you need is an inch pound torque wrench to tighten the clamps down to their recommended spec.

Personally I don't see the benefit of a QD scope mount for a long range gun, especially a .50 caliber gun. The QD mount mechanisms will never be as accurate and repeatable in clamping force, nor can you measure that force applied to the rail at home.

Conceptually the QD aspect has merit but in practice it falls short due to the ease and quickness of removing a bolt clamped 1 piece mount.

Something to consider
View Quote
I haven't yet, it's between the Vortex Razor GenII, or NF NX8
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#21]
My last .50 had Badger Ordnance rings on it. Not sure if they offer anything QD, but everything they make is rugged as hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top