Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2021 7:42:30 PM EDT
Carrier unit.

Loud squealing started about an hour ago.  I pulled the breaker so my neighbors don't kill me.

It should be a quick fix but how available is a part like this?  Any ideas?

I'm in Florida.

Just trying to figure out contingency plans for the next day or so if we can't get a new motor.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 7:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If oem isnt avail should at least be able get a rescue no issue.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Easy fix, kill safety switch, check it dead and remove old motor. Take pictures. Your only problem may be getting someone to sell you a new motor. Think about replacing starting capacitor while you are at it. A few drops of oil may get you thru Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 7:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
SupplyHouse

ETA: You may be able to get a little more life out of the old motor by oiling its bearings - Maybe buy you some time until the replacement arrives.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If oem isnt avail should at least be able get a rescue no issue.
View Quote

Yeah.  Mine was s different brand, I found a replacement on Amazon.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Easy fix, kill safety switch, check it dead and remove old motor. Take pictures. Your only problem may be getting someone to sell you a new motor. Think about replacing starting capacitor while you are at it. A few drops of oil may get you thru Christmas.
View Quote

I tried oiling it up a bit to no avail.  Pretty superficial job though.  I was in the middle of doing three things at once.

Replaced the capacitors over the summer so we are good there.

Not the best timing, but AC always seems to do that to people!
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SupplyHouse

ETA: You may be able to get a little more life out of the old motor by oiling its bearings - Maybe buy you some time until the replacement arrives.
View Quote

+1 on this company, had a new contactor for my outside unit(only 2 years old) in a few days, existing contactor came back to life, but I got that bitch on the garage shelf for the inevitable bed shitting. Gave the part# to my next door neighbor, and he ordered one to put back. Cheap insurance, and will avoid an emergency $$ service call.

Gonna grab a start capacitor soon to hold onto.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:29:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Getting someone to sell you a motor IS the biggest hurdle.

Mine went last July, and every supplier I called would sell ONLY to a licensed technician.

I did find it online, two- three week shipping.

I ended up buying a used motor on ebay with two day shipping. It was hot! Not waiting three weeks.

So far so good.

Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
good luck getting them to even answer the phone, we have to go in there. but Johnstone and all appliance parts sell to unlicensed people
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I tried oiling it up a bit to no avail.  Pretty superficial job though.  I was in the middle of doing three things at once.

View Quote

Be glad it wasn't July or Aug. I had the same thing happen about 7 years ago on July 3rd, and we were suppose to have company stay at the house.

I found a small-ish shop that did parts for A/C. I called, they said to bring the motor with the fan blade still attached, shroud, top grill, and cap. They used an aftermarket motor that matched the specs of the OEM motor, custom fit it by trimming the motor shaft for fan blade clearance and supplied a new cap, as well as a detailed wire diagram for the new motor. It was much cheaper than a OEM replacement and by mid afternoon on the 5th, the A/C was back up and running good as new.
So you may want to look for a shop in your area that does that type of work.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Be glad it wasn't July or Aug. I had the same thing happen about 7 years ago on July 3rd, and we were suppose to have company stay at the house.

I found a small-ish shop that did parts for A/C. I called, they said to bring the motor with the fan blade still attached, shroud, top grill, and cap. They used an aftermarket motor that matched the specs of the OEM motor, custom fit it by trimming the motor shaft for fan blade clearance and supplied a new cap, as well as a detailed wire diagram for the new motor. It was much cheaper than a OEM replacement and by mid afternoon on the 5th, the A/C was back up and running good as new.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People's ac always seem to knock out in the summer!

Looks like I have a motor lined up.  I'll know more tomorrow morning.  Fingers crossed!

Thanks y'all for your input and advice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top