Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2004 5:53:47 PM EDT
Anybody else here serve in a Pershing unit? I was surfing some Pershing websites and it started bringing back memories.

Any cable-humpers out there? Remember the "claxton" and the purple-caps?

Link Posted: 7/2/2004 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anybody else here serve in a Pershing unit? I was surfing some Pershing websites and it started bringing back memories.

Any cable-humpers out there? Remember the "claxton" and the purple-caps?

www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/wsmr/wsmg02.jpg

usarmygermany.com/Units/FieldArtillery/Article%20photo%204.jpg

Guess not...

Edited to say glad to hear there are some people who at least know what a P1 or P2 is!
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I didn't serve in the military in a Pershing unit but I did work on the Purshing Project for Martin Marietta.  I worked at the missile factory in Orlando that produced the missile during the production run.  I never launched one but I do know little bit about the missile.
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Wasn't a Pershing crewman, but I definitely remember the Pershing training units that used to roll
around Ft. Sill. I went to AIT there for my initial commo repair MOS, and I remember seeing them
come rolling down the street, and turning down the road leading towards Geronimo's grave. (Or that
general area.)
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 9:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I  guarded Pershings  in Germany , boy did that suck. Worst duty station ever.
Link Posted: 7/2/2004 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I had an Estes model rocket of a Pershing.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 1:15:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I had an Estes model rocket of a Pershing.

Back then I kinda like the "Honest John" & the "V2" but now its the "Pheonix" and the "Bullpup"
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 3:36:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I was a Missle Combat Crew Commander in the Air force, Minuteman IIIs at Malmstom AFB in Montana.  During ROTC in Summer '86 I went to Davis-Monthan AFB to observe a training unit for Ground Launch Cruise Missles.  I always wondered how different operatins were between the Pershings and GLCMs.  Both systems were operational only a few years so its a fairly exclusive club.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 5:57:49 AM EDT
[#8]
BINGO!!!!! I wasn't a missel crewman but was a Mechanic on the Mann trucks that hauled the missel. I was in a Pershing II missel unit. I served in German , Charlie Battery ,  4/9 th FA Pershing II Missel's 1985-1989 . Do you remember the missel that blew up in 1985? That was my Battery. They was breaking a missel down for checks and services and the stage went off. Killed several of them Happened  so many months before I got there. I was stationed in Neckersulm (spelling) germany. My CO was Major Garland. Im very fuzzy on other names. I was a Private  over there. It was a wild ride. Even had my roommate murder someone ( hung him on a CROSS with Jesus )   and he and others got sent to prison. I did say wild. Gald to see others that played a role in keeping the Commies back on there heels. Charlie Battery ( HeatPackers ) , Private Martin , WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The closest I ever got to them was seeing the warhead trainers in Snow Hall at Ft. Sill while I was going through the Nuc Artillery course.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I was only Lance.  But we were more tactical!

I remember the picture of the warhead about to impact the target, within 12' after 2000 miles.  Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I can't speak for Pershing I's.... But Pershing II's was made to make the commies glow in the dark. Oh yeah, Camp Regleg, and guard duty on top of the hill with the hard pads.  We had 30 man teams..... Yall know what that was.. A reaction force that was suppose to be able the react to an attack or desturbance. I always vollenteered for it.A siren would go off and you drop what your doing and grab your LBE and haul ASS to the arms room and call out a number ,They threw over your shoulders all the ammo and things your number suppose to carry and toss your weapon to you. Meet at a certain spot and get to the Hard pads and defend the Site. I was up there on Guard duty when we Bombed Libya. We went on alert and was issued NVG's and alot of ammo when we was out there walking the guard paths. Damn alot of old memories. Thanks WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I remember the round going off and killing some G.I.s; I believe the investigation revealed static electricity set if off. 700 pounds of solid rocket propellent will incinerate anybody within 40 feet of the back blast area.

I also remember the protesters at Mutlangen and the low-altitude flyovers by unmarked aircraft.

And, yes, those were some pretty wild days back then.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 3:03:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I was only Lance.  But we were more tactical!

I remember the picture of the warhead about to impact the target, within 12' after 2000 miles.  Pretty cool.

Ah, yes... Lance Missiles. We called them "pocket-rockets."
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I can't speak for Pershing I's.... But Pershing II's was made to make the commies glow in the dark. Oh yeah, Camp Regleg, and guard duty on top of the hill with the hard pads.  We had 30 man teams..... Yall know what that was.. A reaction force that was suppose to be able the react to an attack or desturbance. I always vollenteered for it.A siren would go off and you drop what your doing and grab your LBE and haul ASS to the arms room and call out a number ,They threw over your shoulders all the ammo and things your number suppose to carry and toss your weapon to you. Meet at a certain spot and get to the Hard pads and defend the Site. I was up there on Guard duty when we Bombed Libya. We went on alert and was issued NVG's and alot of ammo when we was out there walking the guard paths. Damn alot of old memories. Thanks WarDawg

You must have been at Heilbronn. You guys had your own CAS site. We had to convoy to Inneringen down by the Swiss border when ever we came up on status. Lots of vinyards around Heilbronn, and plenty of good-looking (and horny) frauleins!

I remember an incident where a patient from a local asylum got out and wondered toward our fence. The guards in the tower came real close to lighting him up before the Polizei showed up.
Link Posted: 7/3/2004 4:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
i was in  Heilbronn, Charlie company, it was nice being away from battalion. But  being on site all the time sucked. Luckily i was there when we transitioned from PIIs, to doing the chemical weapons retrograde security mission, to transitioning to OPFOR  in Hohenfels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top