Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 11/15/2023 7:01:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spyderboy03:

I've found that with chuck roast you either have to shred it or separate the muscle groups to cut perpendicular to the grain. If you just try to slice through it as a whole you'll get some perpendicular, some with, and some at an angle. Only the perpendicular seems tender when I've done them. It has been a few years though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:
Experimenting with chuck roasts tonight.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0373_jpeg-3027558.JPG
ETA: Definitely not brisket, but it’s tasty.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0374_jpeg-3027718.JPG

I've found that with chuck roast you either have to shred it or separate the muscle groups to cut perpendicular to the grain. If you just try to slice through it as a whole you'll get some perpendicular, some with, and some at an angle. Only the perpendicular seems tender when I've done them. It has been a few years though.

Not shown was the second roast where that's more or less what I did when slicing.  Learning experience all around.

Bit of a funny cook too.  Seemed like a lot of spikes and stalls which I am guessing has a lot to do with the density of the muscle fibers and fat distribution relative to a proper brisket.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Not shown was the second roast where that's more or less what I did when slicing.  Learning experience all around.
Bit of a funny cook too.  Seemed like a lot of spikes and stalls which I am guessing has a lot to do with the density of the muscle fibers and fat distribution relative to a proper brisket.
View Quote

Same experience. I've done 2 or 3 chuck roasts on the smoker. I remember reinserting the probe one of the times after wrapping and getting a totally different temp in the new spot. It was 10-15 degrees different. I really liked it for shredded meat with bbq sauce. I've pretty much only done brisket since then for beef.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Experimenting with chuck roasts tonight.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0373_jpeg-3027558.JPG

ETA: Definitely not brisket, but it’s tasty.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0374_jpeg-3027718.JPG
View Quote

We have a food truck that sets up in our neighborhood selling BBQ. It's really good & he passes off chuck roast as brisket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I do Chucks fairly often and they come out fantastic, fall apart if you want it to.

How long are y’all running them? I want to say around 7 hrs for me.

It’s dependent on how much fat and connective tissue so time varies, stalls and whatnot.

I do it kinda like ribs, I wrap towards the end and when it’s as squishy as I like I unwrap and set the bark, a good rest in foil and towel in a cooler can do wonders for it releasing as well.

Hope y’all don’t get discouraged and keep trying, it’s a great pick when you don’t want to do a whole brisket.
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 3:24:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Another Arfcomer is coming out to help work cattle today so I gotta feed him good

Lemon Pepper Chicken: 9 lemons squeezed, a pile of fresh ground black pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, garlic & onion powder, a little olive oil and some apple cider vinegar.

Pork blade steaks: salt pepper onion garlic and Turbinado sugar

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#7]
i got the hinges fixed on my pit and i'm currently burning the galvanize off a new fire grate, soon to be muriatic acid dipped as well

we'll see if i can still do this whole BBQ thing, i used to be pretty decent at it
Link Posted: 11/19/2023 8:07:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By wolfjflywheel:

I do Chucks fairly often and they come out fantastic, fall apart if you want it to.

How long are y’all running them? I want to say around 7 hrs for me.

It’s dependent on how much fat and connective tissue so time varies, stalls and whatnot.

I do it kinda like ribs, I wrap towards the end and when it’s as squishy as I like I unwrap and set the bark, a good rest in foil and towel in a cooler can do wonders for it releasing as well.

Hope y’all don’t get discouraged and keep trying, it’s a great pick when you don’t want to do a whole brisket.
View Quote

I think the two I did ran about 7 hours. I let them sit on smoke till they hit the 160-170ish stall then wrapped and put them in the oven to 203.  Wrapped in foil to rest back down to around 150 by serving time.
Link Posted: 11/20/2023 1:23:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#9]
Cooked BB Ribs yesterday and a butt today.
Attachment Attached File

Cut the butt into 3 pieces and cooked at 300.  Put them on at 8:00 and pulled them at 11:15 (205 internal.)
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Picked up an extra turkey breast to play with. I think it’s a winner.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Smoked 2 prime ribs.  Last night I cut the bones off.  Seasoned with my own rub. Tied the bones back on. Let them sit over night then put them on this morning. 5 hours later. Perfection.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 8:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#12]
Two racks of ribs for $14.xx.  It rained all day today so I am cooking one rack for lunch tomorrow.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Lunch is almost ready.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:35:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wolfjflywheel] [#14]
I’m be like DK now, predictable, the usual

And that’s not a bad thing, I think when our cooking becomes “predictable” it’s because we got really friggin good at it

Lemon Pepper Chicken and Pork blade steaks today

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Cooking a butt for my neighbor.  I put it on at Midnight.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:13:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#16]
Second time ever doing a chicken.  350 degrees indirect with Low Sodium Greek seasoning.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

We ate the leg quarters today and are making smoked chicken salad* with the breasts for tomorrow.

Gonna try direct next time.

Cubed or pulled chicken breast
Mayo
Dijon mustard
Red & green jalapeño peppers
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#17]
Another day, another chicken.  350° direct on the BGE w/low sodium Greek seasoning.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Who's a purdy bird........
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Who's a purdy bird........
View Quote

Weird tan lines.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Weird tan lines.
View Quote

I thought the same thing.

Doing direct, I started it skin side down for 15 minutes then flipped it over for 45 more minutes. Thus the tan lines.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Anybody have a Masterbuilt electric smoker that they have used while it's getting rained on ?

I think mine is going to get a little wet today, may have to shelter it some.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:12:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:
Anybody have a Masterbuilt electric smoker that they have used while it's getting rained on ?

I think mine is going to get a little wet today, may have to shelter it some.
View Quote

@Dagger41

Just keep the control panel dry and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By pointblanke:

@Dagger41

Just keep the control panel dry and you should be fine.
View Quote

Thanks. That's about all that concerns me.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#24]
All the prime rib threads over the past week and no pics in the smoked meat thread? For shame!

My Christmas roast beast
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 9:45:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 12:02:34 PM EDT
[#26]
For Christmas dinner this year.

Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got a Camp Chef smoker that I've been pretty happy with for years.  It's always been covered, but it's old and is starting to have some paint and rust issues.  I was looking at Recteq stuff a few weeks ago, and my wife (who is generally the world's worst gift buyer, but really wants to do better) noticed.  So I now find myself with $2,000 of Recteq gift cards.  I know a lot of you guys use their smokers, so I wanted to check if you had any input for me.  I think the 2500 is simply overkill for what I'd ever need.  I use my smoker for steaks, burgers, etc. in addition to more traditional bbq fare, so the Dualfire model is interesting.  Has anyone used one?  But I'm also considering buying both the Flagship 1100 and the RT-B380 Bullseye plus searing grates for a similar purpose.  The smaller one for burgers or to get roaring hot for a sear while my steaks smoke on the big guy.  Anyone used those two models?  Help me spend my money.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:47:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WDEagle] [#28]
Originally Posted By Clemson_John:
I've got a Camp Chef smoker that I've been pretty happy with for years.  It's always been covered, but it's old and is starting to have some paint and rust issues.  I was looking at Recteq stuff a few weeks ago, and my wife (who is generally the world's worst gift buyer, but really wants to do better) noticed.  So I now find myself with $2,000 of Recteq gift cards.  I know a lot of you guys use their smokers, so I wanted to check if you had any input for me.  I think the 2500 is simply overkill for what I'd ever need.  I use my smoker for steaks, burgers, etc. in addition to more traditional bbq fare, so the Dualfire model is interesting.  Has anyone used one?  But I'm also considering buying both the Flagship 1100 and the RT-B380 Bullseye plus searing grates for a similar purpose.  The smaller one for burgers or to get roaring hot for a sear while my steaks smoke on the big guy.  Anyone used those two models?  Help me spend my money.
View All Quotes

There is a reason why the Flagship 1100 is our flagship model! You can fit your choice of 10 baby back ribs, 138 chicken wings, 60 burgers, or 10 pork butts and the list goes on!

Attachment Attached File

I'm in.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#30]

$41 for a pig butt seems a little steep. I usually pay about $1 per pound.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#31]
I was off all last week and did a lot of cooking…

Some St Louis ribs with a hot honey and bbq sauce glaze.

Attachment Attached File

About 4 lbs of wings with the rub I make from my poblano and jalapeño peppers.  I don’t even sauce these.  Everyone loves them without it.

Attachment Attached File

Some candied pecans and cashews with hot honey and Slap Ya Momma.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Happy New Year. Brisket tacos for Linner. 9ish hour cook overnight with lump charcoal and hickory wood on the kamado cooker

Home made guac, brisket, white queso, Cowboy Candy salsa (Made in DFW, look him up it's so good), corn, Kinder BBQ sauce.

Corn is a bit non traditional for me but it needed to be cooked.

Cheers

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

We did pizza on the smoker for New Years Eve.

Attachment Attached File

I blocked off part of the firebox so that the heat would concentrate on the stone and be forced around the pizza. They turned out pretty well.

In this picture you can see the piece of wood covered in tinfoil I used to block off the firebox.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ARHank:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG_20231231_201951975_jpg-3080501.JPG

We did pizza on the smoker for New Years Eve.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG_20231231_202230136_jpg-3080500.JPG

I blocked off part of the firebox so that the heat would concentrate on the stone and be forced around the pizza. They turned out pretty well.

In this picture you can see the piece of wood covered in tinfoil I used to block off the firebox.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/155324/IMG_20231231_202939369_HDR_jpg-3080504.JPG

View Quote

Brilliant!
Consider the idea stolen.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:14:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Tossed a pork butt on at 1800 with a water pan and set the smoker for 200.  Going to ignore it until whenever I roll out of bed tomorrow morning.  We'll see what happens.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Tossed a pork butt on at 1800 with a water pan and set the smoker for 200.  Going to ignore it until whenever I roll out of bed tomorrow morning.  We'll see what happens.
View Quote

How big is your butt?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By WDEagle:

How big is your butt?
View All Quotes

How big is your butt?

It took me two hands, but probably pretty average overall.  

Wife picked up a 2/$36 pack so probably somewhere around 6lb.  Could have thrown them both on but we don't go through it all that quick.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:28:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I dropped the temp to 180 after about 3 hours since it looked to be cooking fairly quickly. Took some fiddling to keep it there initially and it looks like it ran closer to 160-170 overnight but the meat temp is showing 180 at 14 hours. I could probably pull it now, but I’m going to let it go to 190 for grins.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#39]
I dropped the temp to 180 after about 3 hours since it looked to be cooking fairly quickly. Took some fiddling to keep it there initially and it looks like it ran closer to 160-170 overnight but the meat temp is showing 180 at 14 hours. I could probably pull it now, but I’m going to let it go to 190 for grins.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0412_jpeg-3093789.JPG
View Quote

Why not do it right and pull it at 203°-205°?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:51:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmnoid77] [#40]

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/151231/IMG_0412_jpeg-3093789.JPG

We're playing with the time at temp theory ala the low slow brisket thread.  Depending on the critter, collagen breakdown starts above 170 so any time above that internal temp should be carrying on that process.  This one has been at 180 for hours now so the theory is that there isn't much gained by pushing to the usual 200+.

ETA: I also did absolutely none of the usual spritzing or any of the futzing about that I normally do while it's cooking.  I hit it with a rub, threw it on with the water pan, and ignored it aside from keeping an eye on the cook temp.  Didn't even open the lid except to check on progress once before bed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#41]

We're playing with the time at temp theory ala the low slow brisket thread.  Depending on the critter, collagen breakdown starts above 170 so any time above that internal temp should be carrying on that process.  This one has been at 180 for hours now so the theory is that there isn't much gained by pushing to the usual 200+.

ETA: I also did absolutely none of the usual spritzing or any of the futzing about that I normally do while it's cooking.  I hit it with a rub, threw it on with the water pan, and ignored it aside from keeping an eye on the cook temp.  Didn't even open the lid except to check on progress once before bed.
View Quote

Ahh.  I see.  Different strokes.  

Early on I would occasionally cook low & slow and pull my butts at 190° for sliced pork.  Now, I always cook L&S and take them to 205ish.  Always turn out perfect.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:10:36 AM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

what did you end up getting!?  pics!!

The classic 1100 is the one I've wanted but I'd probably go smaller like the 590.  I'll never be cooking that much food at once.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Early on I would occasionally cook low & slow and pull my butts at 190° for sliced pork.  Now, I always cook L&S and take them to 205ish.  Always turn out perfect.
View All Quotes

This one is purely for alchemy.  I'm sure whatever comes off will be edible.  I poked at it a couple minutes ago to see what I was working with.  Fat cap is loose but I don't think it's fully rendered.  I could have trimmed it prior to the rub, but that went against my "throw it at the fire and ignore it" plans.  Feels a little firm overall but the probe slides in nice and it's definitely still moist internally.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Pulled it at 1000 (16 hours).  It fell apart a bit when I picked it up, which I took as a good indicator.  Bark is solid all around and I was able to shred it by hand for the most part.  The fat was rendered much better than I had thought initially.

I did hit a couple spots where there may have been some connective tissues that had not separated and there were some spots directly under the bark that didn’t want to shred as easily as the rest.  Flavor and moisture are on par with previous efforts.  Wife caught wind of it coming in the door and I had to beat her off with a stick to get pictures.

Overall, I don’t know that this experiment shows any clear advantages over more traditional methods other than creating a firmer, darker bark, and showing that set it and forget it will produce similar results to fussing over it during the cook.  I think this is viable for running an overnight cook.  In the future I may do something similar where I let it run overnight as low as possible and take an hour or two in the morning to run it up to the 200 range to finish.  The cold weather was a complicating factor and made it difficult to hold my target temp with my equipment.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:24:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Costco pork shoulder this weekend in the electric smoker. I never get the bark I want with it, but it tastes good! Another couple months before I can pull the kettle back out.

Breakfast tacos

Sandwich with sliced dill pickles, american cheese, and store bought Carolina BBQ because I didn't feel like making any.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Costco pork shoulder this weekend in the electric smoker. I never get the bark I want with it, but it tastes good! Another couple months before I can pull the kettle back out.
https://i.imgur.com/LyUKxaf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/nMGiL7i.jpg

Breakfast tacos
https://i.imgur.com/e8616vv.jpg

Sandwich with sliced dill pickles, american cheese, and store bought Carolina BBQ because I didn't feel like making any.
https://i.imgur.com/PvAvpog.jpg
View Quote

Might have to try the tater tots in the tacos.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
It's pretty awesome!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

One of the local gas station/meat markets down here sells a breakfast burrito with smoked brisket, eggs, tater tots, smoked sausage, and cheese.  Always a hit when I bring some into work.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:20:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Logan45:

One of the local gas station/meat markets down here sells a breakfast burrito with smoked brisket, eggs, tater tots, smoked sausage, and cheese.  Always a hit when I bring some into work.
View Quote
I do that with leftover brisket as well...except the smoked cheese part. I just use shredded cheddar usually.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#50]
S&P for one of my boys and me

BBQ for ever'ne else

Attachment Attached File

Page / 22
Top Top