Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Has anyone ever smoked a duck? I have a duck but have never cooked one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Some salmon from last night

180F on the smoker for about 90 minutes until salmon hit 125F. Internal temp.

This was my first time ever smoking anything ever.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:09:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Camel] [#5]
I did my first brisket overnight.

Turned out pretty damn good. It developed a good bark, I think maybe it got just a tad dried out just under the bark.

8lb brisket. Course salt and ground pepper rub. Smoked at 225-250 for 14 hours. Pulled off at 204 degrees, wrapped and rested for 3 hours. I went light on the smoke for wife, used 3 small chunks of hickory at the start.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zach_:

You asked about wood availability. Academy Sports has a decent selection of smoker wood. I wind up splitting it into smaller pieces, and soaking the wood overnight prior to use.
View Quote

I've picked up wood at Academy as well, B&B brand.  Mesquite and apple.  Only used the mesquite once so far; I was told its a very strong wood.  The apple burned quickly and I really didn't notice much of a flavor difference.  

I mostly use split oak wood.  I have a wood shed out back, and dad and I are always hustling a little firewood for our smokers, fireplaces, etc.  We're pretty full up from all the wood we cut after Hurricane Laura.  

I've tried some silver maple in the past, but I didn't care for the flavor.  Hickory and Pecan I really like, but they're a little harder to come by.  I have some pecan in the shed we cut this winter, should be seasoned in another 6 months or so.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Put a couple of pork butts on yesterday in the rain.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I’m not sure how those smoked when the smoker was sideways like that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:37:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sabre_kc] [#9]
Smoked turkey breast finishing off in the Weber while the sister steak to the one cooked last week begins the climb to 90 degrees on the PK. I’ll finish it directly over the lump in 30 minutes or so. Cheers fellas.

Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sabre_kc:
Smoked turkey breast finishing off in the Weber while the sister steak to the one cooked last week begins the climb to 90 degrees on the PK. I’ll finish it directly over the lump in 30 minutes or so. Cheers fellas.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55357/332A1E6C-A7A6-4C87-9075-B7D9CFDDB8D8-2368975.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55357/4FE5C7ED-FC4A-401E-BA62-F1BA8035E896-2368980.jpg
View Quote

I see you have a Weber Genesis. I keep that out of my smoked meat thread for reasons... I actually use it prolly 3/1 over my smoker. Hard to beat the user friendly features.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#11]

I see you have a Weber Genesis. I keep that out of my smoked meat thread for reasons... I actually use it prolly 3/1 over my smoker. Hard to beat the user friendly features.
View Quote

Yeah, gas grills bet snubbed by bbq snobs but mine gets lots of use and has paid for itself many times over. It’s fast, reliable, fairly easy to maintain, and replacement parts available everywhere. Great grill and it produces excellent grilled meat/vegetables, also makes a handy outdoor oven. I use it to finish pork shoulders after the wrap because propane is far less expensive than charcoal. It will have a place of prominence in the future outdoor kitchen!
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 12:06:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:
Cowboy is some of the worst stuff on the market, or so I've read.

I order online. Fogo lump is going to be a new brand for me to try.

I've used Royal lump in that past. Walmart usually has it in quantity.

View Quote

Worst stuff? In what way?

I’ve used Royal Oak in the past (big red bag), and that is the stuff I would always find construction debris in. Rocks, old stakes, roofing shingles, nails, you name it.  Every bag had some new surprise. The few bags of Cowboy I’ve been through have been really clean.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:52:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By easttxshooter:
Has anyone ever smoked a duck? I have a duck but have never cooked one.
View Quote

With a shotgun, or in a smoker?
We buy our duck at a local place called 99 Ranch. We had BAD results at home. It could be that the store hangs them while cooking. I don't know.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Yeah, gas grills bet snubbed by bbq snobs but mine gets lots of use and has paid for itself many times over. It’s fast, reliable, fairly easy to maintain, and replacement parts available everywhere. Great grill and it produces excellent grilled meat/vegetables, also makes a handy outdoor oven. I use it to finish pork shoulders after the wrap because propane is far less expensive than charcoal. It will have a place of prominence in the future outdoor kitchen!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Is the rack the butt is resting on an improvised addition? Looks like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SHONUFF:

I've used Royal Oak in the past (big red bag), and that is the stuff I would always find construction debris in. Rocks, old stakes, roofing shingles, nails, you name it.  Every bag had some new surprise. The few bags of Cowboy I've been through have been really clean.
View Quote

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SHONUFF:

I've used Royal Oak in the past (big red bag), and that is the stuff I would always find construction debris in. Rocks, old stakes, roofing shingles, nails, you name it.  Every bag had some new surprise. The few bags of Cowboy I've been through have been really clean.

You changed your username.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:38:49 AM EDT
[#17]

Is the rack the butt is resting on an improvised addition? Looks like a good idea.
View Quote

Got the rack from PK, saw it on a Malcom Reed youtube vid. The GrillGrates on my Genesis run about 110 degree above dome temp, this rack keeps the meat of direct heat when finishing. Cool product.

https://www.pkgrills.com/the-cookmore-grid-for-pk-grill/
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:40:54 AM EDT
[#18]

You changed your username.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 8:51:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Got the rack from PK, saw it on a Malcom Reed youtube vid. The GrillGrates on my Genesis run about 110 degree above dome temp, this rack keeps the meat of direct heat when finishing. Cool product.

View All Quotes

Cool. Kitchen oven space is sometimes limited when we have people over.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#20]

We buy our duck at a local place called 99 Ranch. We had BAD results at home. It could be that the store hangs them while cooking. I don't know.
View Quote

Smoker.

Seems like it would take smoke well. Thinking about low and slow, seeing how it goes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:19:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Smoker.

Seems like it would take smoke well. Thinking about low and slow, seeing how it goes.
View All Quotes

Smoker.

We tried twice. It was awful. Too smokey. Too greasy. We used the same ducks that they use at the same store where we buy the duck. To be honest, sometimes their duck is better than other times.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 10:46:42 AM EDT
[#22]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55357/332A1E6C-A7A6-4C87-9075-B7D9CFDDB8D8-2368975.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/55357/4FE5C7ED-FC4A-401E-BA62-F1BA8035E896-2368980.jpg
View Quote

We had a PK as a child.

How do you like yours and would you buy another one?
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
I've got a "sidekick" (propane burner) on my smoker with griddle and grill attachments I swap out as needed.  Very convenient for a good sear when I smoke steaks.

Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my meat on the smoker and a cooler of beer by the pool.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Is the water warm enough to swim in?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:41:43 PM EDT
[#27]
It's cold but once your in it's fine. I just got out to tend the fire. The kids will be in until we make them get out lol.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve got a 10lb butt that’ll be thrown on tomorrow morning.

It’s still thawing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:13:58 PM EDT
[#29]
These are about to go on the smoker. It's a trial run for my son's graduation party next month.

Filled with cream cheese/bbq rub, cheddar cheese, and hot sausage. Wrapped with bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar and rub.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:35:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:
These are about to go on the smoker. It's a trial run for my son's graduation party next month.

Filled with cream cheese/bbq rub, cheddar cheese, and hot sausage. Wrapped with bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar and rub.

https://i.imgur.com/JkfJMdN.jpg
View Quote

Those look good. I did 40 of them 2 weeks ago for a party. We used cream cheese a little cajun seasoning and and diced Portuguese sasuge. They came out pretty good but it's hard to screw up a popper
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 5:25:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By DDiggler:

https://i.imgur.com/JkfJMdN.jpg
View Quote

I do those on a charcoal grill. Flare ups can be a problem.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HeyCoach] [#33]
It’s resting. I swear that pellet grills reduce cook time and don’t put a good bark on it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 9:05:20 PM EDT
[#34]
5 hours in.

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 8:53:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:

We had a PK as a child.

How do you like yours and would you buy another one?
View Quote

@M4-AK Sorry for the delayed replay, just read your post. Love my PK and would absolutely buy one again. I picked up a PK-GO for a road trip I’m doing with the kids this summer, should pay for itself in less than a week and we get to avoid Applebees. I’ve got lots of room for my future outdoor kitchen and plan on adding a Big Green Egg XL and a Yoder offset smoker eventually. Currently I have 2 Weber Smokey Mountains (22.5” and 14.5”, and a Weber Genesis in addition to the PK360. If I was to have only one grill, it would be the PK for portability and fuel efficiency reasons. I’ve seen some guys smoke packer briskets and racks of ribs on theirs, but in my opinion the real estate on the PK is a bit confined for long pieces of meat so I use the WSM 22 for the big stuff. Pork shoulders and whole turkeys are no problem. I’m still learning with mine, only had it for 18 months or so, but it is a joy to cook with in any weather including wind conditions. Great grills!
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#36]
18.5 hours in the WSM.   There were two about the same size cooking.

Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:48:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Looks good. I did one last weekend. We just finished the last of it tonight for dinner. I'm on the prowl now for a nice looking butt for nextime.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 5:25:53 AM EDT
[#38]

What’d you think of cross cutting the fat cap?
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#39]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#40]
The Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get It Started
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 7:52:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Who the fuck can afford meat?!?

Bunch of elitists up in this thread...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Ain’t nobody got time fo dat.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:20:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garyd] [#44]
Some absolutely delicious looking smoked meats up in here.

Here are a few of mine.  Done on a masterbuilt propane vertical.

3 pork butts injected with Waygu beef tallow.  Turned into the absolute best pulled pork I had ever tasted.  Made them for customer appreciation day at work.  People were tearing into them.
Attachment Attached File

Brisket flat.  My flats always end up a little dry.  But after the beef tallow experiment I am going to try it in my next flat.
Attachment Attached File

Home made kielbasa
Attachment Attached File

Beef snack sticks
Attachment Attached File

Breakfast roll.
Attachment Attached File

I love outdoor cooking.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#45]
And now we wait. I'll be in the pool.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:55:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#46]
Barks looking good. Temp currently 154*

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:32:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By garyd:
Some absolutely delicious looking smoked meats up in here.

Here are a few of mine.  Done on a masterbuilt propane vertical.

3 pork butts injected with Waygu beef tallow.  Turned into the absolute best pulled pork I had ever tasted.  Made them for customer appreciation day at work.  People were tearing into them.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0429221939_jpg-2383255.JPG

Brisket flat.  My flats always end up a little dry.  But after the beef tallow experiment I am going to try it in my next flat.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0417220853_HDR_jpg-2383258.JPG

Home made kielbasa
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0226221211_jpg-2383270.JPG

Beef snack sticks
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0121220829_jpg-2383276.JPG

Breakfast roll.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34111/0101221130_jpg-2383277.JPG

I love outdoor cooking.
View Quote

Tell me more about this breakfast roll
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread is delicious
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RockRash:

Tell me more about this breakfast roll
View Quote

Pre cook the eggs.  Lay out the bacon, spread sausage on top of bacon, add eggs and whatever else you want, then roll it up and smoke it till the sausage is cooked.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:48:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Tag!
Page / 22
Top Top