Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/23/2022 8:03:27 PM EDT
Currently, my combination wrench capability tops out at 7/8".  I'm looking to expand that to at least 1-1/8".

All of my wrenches are Snap-on, so that's what I figured I'd buy.  However, I was blown away by the price:

How do SK Tools compare to Snap-on?

Any other good Snap-on alternatives?

Thanks for any replies.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#1]
USA made SK tools were excellent.

Past tense. Buy something worth your money.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
As anal retentive as I am, no way I could mix and match wrench sets.

My standard wrenches are all Snap On.  I went with Gear Wrench with my ratcheting wrenches.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:10:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy Wright Tool.

Specifically, the Wrightgrip 2.0 versions.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Those snap-ons are pretty, but 3 for $500 is steep
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I have SK wrenches, ratchets in 1/4" & 3/8" drives etc, they are really good and hasn't let me down.  They are very reasonably priced. But they are not as comfortable to hold as Snap-On. I would say SK is comparable to the sold Sears Craftsman when they were made in the USA.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Icon or Tekton.

Buy once, use the rest to go on vacation a few times...
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:12:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

They were still made in the USA the last time I checked.
As of 5ish years ago their stuff is solid. Not in the same category as Snap-on or Mac, but at half the price or less they do a fine job.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are a professional mechanic and need to keep up an image buy Snap-on.  The average home owner/weekend repairman will never see the difference between the tool truck brands and anything bought at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Buy Wright Tool.

View Quote

I really like Wright wrenches, but they only make short pattern combination wrenches.  Many people have contacted them asking for longer pattern wrenches, but so far they haven't obliged.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Older SK stuff was top notch. I have a mix of SK and older craftsman stuff.  A lot of wrenches get turned on my farm, and to be honest my older craftsman stuff from the 80s and 90s has done as well as anything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#11]
They were at one time made by the same OEM, slightly different design but same quality. When I turned wrenches in the early 2000's I had a good deal of SK tools. Same quality as Mac Snap-on Matco etc. at a way lower price without all the the tool truck BS. There was a brief time when all of SK was available from sears online, I bought a lot of tools that way 20 years ago. They have served me well.

They are Chinese owned now I do not know where they are made.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:18:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Good quality? Yes

as good as Snap On? No

will you notice the difference? Probably not.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:18:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Wright satin finish are my favorite; the wide beam doesn't hurt my dainty girlish hands like Snap On.

You may have trouble sourcing SK as Great Star (Chyna) bought the company and has moved production and warehousing to PA.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Snap-on. Look for used stuff on ebay, FB market, Craigslist, etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Williams or Proto.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I own both, Snap-on is better at daily service. More precise, better on the box end.
Nothing wrong with my SK at all, but they do go out of spec faster.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I really like Wright wrenches, but they only make short pattern combination wrenches.  Many people have contacted them asking for longer pattern wrenches, but so far they haven't obliged.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy Wright Tool.

That's my only complaint because most of my combo wrench use is auto-related.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:24:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Snap On, Mac, Cornwell, Ans Matco all make really nice wrenches that are better.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you are a professional mechanic and need to keep up an image buy Snap-on.  The average home owner/weekend repairman will never see the difference between the tool truck brands and anything bought at Home Depot.
View Quote

Stuff at home depot is chinese junk
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:26:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Ideal kept SK American, but the new Chinese ownership is very concerning.  

Snap On combination wrenches are thin along the edge to me, but are great wrenches.  Mac extra long pattern still have the rectangular beam like they used to.  The others have been revised for the worse.

Stahlwille are excellent, and my favorite but are German made, if you want US made.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

As of 5ish years ago their stuff is solid. Not in the same category as Snap-on or Mac, but at half the price or less they do a fine job.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

July 2021.

https://sktools.com/blogs/news/sk-press-release-sk-hand-tool-acquisition-announcement

We are pleased to announce that Hangzhou GreatStar Industrial Co., Ltd. has completed its acquisition of SK Hand Tools. We are excited to build on our foundation and gain all of the proprietary SK patents and designs to help us provide diverse products and new opportunities to our valued customers.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I just bought the high polish WRIGHTGRIP 2.0 wrenches in both SAE and metric. And have sets of Williams box ratchet high polish wrenches. The people wanting longer pattern wrenches can have them, these wrenches are about the right length for most purposes. I also like the thicker beams of these two brands as they don’t dig into your hand when pulling hard.

About $265 to $300 for the sets each.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#23]
The SK's are ok, nothing else out there will beat a snap on wrench, they are that good, but for those big sizes the SK's will work fine..
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:38:50 PM EDT
[#24]
https://www.mcmaster.com/wrenches/combination-wrenches/

if you go there, use the menu on the left to narrow it down, once narrowed down click on the part number and a little window expands out, click product detail in the lower left of that window, then when the that page comes up you can scroll through the detailed specs and includes country of origin.

I filled all kinds of holes on my socket organizer trays buying US made single sockets from them and the prices are very reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#25]
SK stands for “slip and kill”
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Check out Project Farm's tests.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:46:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Best Wrench? Let’s Settle This! Snap On vs MAC Tools, Matco, Proto, SK, GearWrench, Kobalt, Husky

I've seen jumbo Pittsburgh sets get absolutely abused at work and they have held up. Just get the Icon set and be done with it. I have the metric version and can barely tell the difference from my Snap On or Proto stuff.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:49:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought all my Snap On tools off eBay. Half price or less.

Some even have cool laser markings from Boeing
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Before we had to toss them the old SKs that came in a green metal box were better than current Snap-On sockets.  I have no idea about current SK, we’re only allowed Snap-On, Blue Point, and Proto.  Proto seems just as good to me as Snap-on, I’ve broke both doing stupid shit like changing a backhoe tire with 1/2” sae sockets when I needed a 30mm.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Older sk stuff was pretty good , 80s 90s.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Before we had to toss them the old SKs that came in a green metal box were better than current Snap-On sockets.  I have no idea about current SK, we’re only allowed Snap-On, Blue Point, and Proto.  Proto seems just as good to me as Snap-on, I’ve broke both doing stupid shit like changing a backhoe tire with 1/2” sae sockets when I needed a 30mm.
View Quote

Heavy equipment/ag shop? What kind of work do you do?
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:22:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Weekend mechanic here; I own a little bit of everything. I find the Harbor Freight wrenches work just as good as Snap-On, Craftsman or Williams for my purposes. Now rachets, air tools and sockets are a different story.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 9:30:35 PM EDT
[#33]
we always called SK "slip and kill" wrenches
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:12:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Sk are made is the USA are good.

Wright tool company are better....

https://www.circlecsupply.com/wright-tool-715-15-piece-sae-12-point-combination-wrench-set.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwuO6WBhDLARIsAIdeyDLao3_ux3xH0EudL-LIMmNtTJxm-d0KfHZ6fSMQKDGwFyqRQ-bknioaAj93EALw_wcB

I have both Snap On (my Metrics) and Wright (SAE). I could never justify the Snap On price again. If it was a ratcheting wrench maybe because the tool truck swaps it out no questions asked.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:14:22 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

July 2021.

https://sktools.com/blogs/news/sk-press-release-sk-hand-tool-acquisition-announcement

We are pleased to announce that Hangzhou GreatStar Industrial Co., Ltd. has completed its acquisition of SK Hand Tools. We are excited to build on our foundation and gain all of the proprietary SK patents and designs to help us provide diverse products and new opportunities to our valued customers.

Fucking gross.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't post often, but when I do it's F**k China!  Fjb too!
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:32:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Proto Professional or Wright
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:35:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Williams or Proto.
View Quote

I've wrenched in an industrial environment for almost 40 years. Also used every brand from ChinaCo to high end.

My hands down favorite is Proto. Not cheap, a buy once, cry once deal, but their stuff is right and tight. I have a combination set of racheting wrenches that goes from like 3/8"s to 1 1/2".  Black chrome finish. I really, really like them.

I don't buy Asian made stuff, except if it is made in Japan or Taiwan (because Fuck China). There is a Taiwanese tool company called Blackhawk (they are somehow connected with Proto). They also make exceptional wrenches.  I have two small sets of Blackhawks in metric and standard. Also black chrome and less expensive than Proto.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:39:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I've wrenched in an industrial environment for almost 40 years. Also used every brand from ChinaCo to high end.

My hands down favorite is Proto. Not cheap, a buy once, cry once deal, but their stuff is right and tight. I have a combination set of racheting wrenches that goes from like 3/8"s to 1 1/2".  Black chrome finish. I really, really like them.

I don't buy Asian made stuff, except if it is made in Japan or Taiwan (because Fuck China). There is a Taiwanese tool company called Blackhawk (they are somehow connected with Proto). They also make exceptional wrenches.  I have two small sets of Blackhawks in metric and standard. Also black chrome and less expensive than Proto.

View Quote

Black hawk use to be made in the USA but is mostly Taiwan as it is Proto's lower end brand (Like Blue Point is to Snap On) Some Black Hawk stuff is still US made like the line wrenches.   Also Proto is rebranded for Mac tools in many cases.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#40]
I have never been happy with my 2013 SK wrench sets. Loose fitting open end, deep bevel in the closed in allows it to come off fasteners. They look and feel nice, though. Snap'On have been much better.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I bought all my Snap On tools off eBay. Half price or less.

Some even have cool laser markings from Boeing
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/366627/image_jpg-2463443.JPG
View Quote

This. All I've ever bought was Snappy. These days, I still stick with Snap on, but opt for new or like new on ebay for a deal, without the extra marks.

Note: some stuff on there is asking more than brand new from Snap on website.
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 11:04:36 PM EDT
[#42]
The Proto industrial ones with the black finish are very high quality.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:32:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:37:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 11:52:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Lots of helpful replies.  Thank you as always, guys.

This morning I ended up biting the bullet / taking it up the 'ol exhaust pipe and going with the Snap-on SOEX704.

At least I know what I'm getting.

I'm also going to order a FADH12B, although that bitch is back-ordered until mid-November.

Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lots of helpful replies.  Thank you as always, guys.

This morning I ended up biting the bullet / taking it up the 'ol exhaust pipe and going with the Snap-on SOEX704.

At least I know what I'm getting.

I'm also going to order a FADH12B, although that bitch is back-ordered until mid-November.

View Quote

That is a nice set!

Your thread reminded me I needed an 1-1/8" and 1-1/4" so I bought them used on ebay.  Flank drive is the tits.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

@1969GTX

Flank drive is the tits.
View Quote

It is.

Have you tried Flank Drive Plus?
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:06:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It is.

Have you tried Flank Drive Plus?
View Quote

Only bad thing I've seen is the teeth can leave marks on the fasteners. Sometimes that may matter, sometimes it may not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Torque test channel just did a good test on this, I have SK wrenches at work but have always hesitated to use them since they are so short. I like the Proto anti slip, Williams supercombo, and Wright wrenches.

Which Brand Slips 1st & Why? Snap-On, Wright, SK, Tekton, Craftsman & More
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top