Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They should have kept the Phoenix for the FA18. That missle was very important to fleet defense.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I was at ERAU in Daytona Beach we used to get these military guys showing up with their government toys.

So one time it was the Navy's day to show how erect they can get, front of the parking lot was roped off and several aircraft types were parked there for touching.

But they left one F14 on the ramp and in the afternoon they would shut DAB airport down and the pilot would put on a
penis erecting 30 minute demonstration show.

I managed to be outside the fence on the ramp that day for run ups. Holy smokes the low attitude maneuvers plus the high speed passes, just fucking wow.
Seeing the vapor trails coming off that aircraft in the hot Florida weather was so cool, and the AB noise etc, etc.

My apartment was right off the beach in a straight line with the main runway. My upstairs neighbor was a retired master Sargent, might have been a WW2 vet but he definitely was a Korean and Vietnam Era vet for sure, had a imported German wife.
He said they both sat outside and watched the show.
RIP Cleo Winger
View Quote

No, that was when a commuter airline had an RJ on the Riddle ramp for all the Riddle homos to cream in their shorts over. Then they would go back to their dorms and have their roomie do it for them again as they fantasized about becoming "airline pilots" in their faggotty RJ.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:57:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They should have kept the Phoenix for the FA18. That missle was very important to fleet defense.
View Quote

LOL.... The F18 radar couldn't support it, nor had the range, nor did the F18 have the payload to carry it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:06:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand the F2A Buffalo had more kills than the F-14.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are Buffalo PILOTS with more kills in the Brewster than all F-14's combined.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everyone I have ever met that worked on the F14 said they were absolute junk.
View Quote

I dunno, i worked I level AIMD we fixed all of the electronics on the F14 and A6.

From that perspective they were easy to work on and repair.

The CAT5 bench was awesome at the time at running diags, and the EMTC was a basic test bench that could be configured to test anything including your car stereo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Not sure why someone would have their vagina bleed over 5th gen capes. Sort of like seeing your children do better in life than you did.

Personally, I'm in awe of what the Raptor and Lightning can do.
View Quote

Are they like cage fighting invisible gorillas?
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That holds true from most WW2 fighters.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:03:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I dunno, i worked I level AIMD we fixed all of the electronics on the F14 and A6.

The CAT5 bench was awesome at the time at running diags, and the EMTC was a basic test bench that could be configured to test anything including your car stereo.
View Quote

Copy, F14 electronics at the same level as car stero confirmed
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Hopefully not RADCOM.  I'm an O level AQ guy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL.... The F18 radar couldn't support it, nor had the range, nor did the F18 have the payload to carry it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Figures and I am no expert by any means. Just thought they might have been retained for the long range capability.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Finns used the Buffalo to great success against the Russians.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:33:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Figures and I am no expert by any means. Just thought they might have been retained for the long range capability.
View Quote

Sadly no. But it wasn't needed a the time.

The 120D and Aim260 make up for it though these days.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The Finns used the Buffalo to great success against the Russians.
View Quote

Imagine if the finns had F14's to fight Mig-3's...

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I can’t believe so many people took you seriously.
View Quote

F-14>Zeros

The Final Countdown Tomcat/Zero fight scene. ( Screaming of the Tomcat )

The Final Countdown (1980) - "Splash the Zeros"
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/10/2022 11:58:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, the dot Indians that wrote the code for 737max MCAS have more kills than the F-14.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:10:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:12:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hell, the dot Indians that wrote the code for 737max MCAS have more kills than the F-14.
View Quote

I sense that this is a future meme topic.  Well played.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 12:17:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It suffered mightily from being absolutely bleeding edge right at the cusp of a change in how avionics were done.  If it'd started development just a few years later, the stuff that was the backbone of the Eagle might have been integral into it.
View Quote

This is ultimately the big picture perspective. It was fantastic for its time, and its capabilities were very, very impressive for the mission it was designed to fly and the technology it wielded. Had the jet been designed in the "Boyd era" it would have been a much better dogfighter, too.

The problem is that its perceived capabilities have grown substantially in the rear view mirror based on its myth rather than its reality.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:50:22 AM EDT
[#21]
The "Hoser Chronicles" are fun to read.

Joe "Hoser" Satrapa was a legendary F-14 driver and firearms enthusiast. RIP Sailor.

Hoser VS 2 F-15's -
Picture Hoser ... recently brought back from retirement by Sec Nav himself after a challenge at the JO forum at Tailhook. When I saw Hoser shortly afterward in the Oceana club in his aviation greens ... he said he just "opened up the closet and IT WAS STILL RIGGED!" (after several years of retirement, the devices were still attached to the shirt! Laundering NOT REQUIRED!)

So Hoser becomes the guns phase leader (again) and is rubbing shoulders with those of us 15 years junior in seniority, about 30 years his junior in experience.

Hoser is schedule for a 2 vs 2 ACM flight against Langley F-15s with a student in his back seat and a student pilot on his wing. Wingman goes down on deck (airplane breaks). Hoser launches alone and unafraid and they check in to the controller as a "flight" of two. Hoser and his RIO proceed to talk back and forth like they're two a/c instead of one.

Fight's on!

Eagles get tally of one at merge (imagine that) and they break their necks looking for the other Tomcat (which is back at the line at VF-101). Hoser –– the master of the slow flight –– maneuvers in for one gun kill, then two.

Knock it off, knock it off!!!

Eagle drivers are pissed when they find out that the "two-ship" they just foght was Hoser and his RIO. All reposition for a second run.  Now it's a KNOWN 1 vs 2 and the Eagle drivers (one major and one ltCol –– were HOT!)

Fight's on!

Picture afterburner spouting F-15s pulling their delta wings off –– and Hoser with the big boys (flaps) working in a "non-landing configuration," cartwheeling  and pivoting across the sky like Mary Lou Retton on steroids. Gun kill #3 ... followed by #4.

Knock it off, knock it off!!! Everyone's out of gas, RTB.

Phone rings in skippers office at VF-101. Lt Col on phone wants to know WHO the heck was in that Tomcat that did things "not possible by the laws of physics?!"  Skipper looks at flight schedule –– sees Hoser, and with a knowing smile, gives the air force officer the number to the phase leader's office to debrief with Hoser himself.  Word filters down to Hoser that this Lt Col was impressed and wants to (a crude expression was used here I won't repeat since this is a family board.)

Ring, ring. Hoser picks up phone and humbly says "lieutenant JG Satrapa SIR!" (making the two air force officers think they'd just got their butts kicked by an F-14 STUDENT PILOT!!)  "Thank you sir, thank you sir" blurts out Hoser while he tries not to bust out laughing –– the rest of us were less successful.
View Quote

Archived thread link
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:03:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

The radar portion was just software. The other two statements are false. Hornets carried a lot heavier ordnance routinely on and off the ship.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:24:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The radar portion was just software. The other two statements are false. Hornets carried a lot heavier ordnance routinely on and off the ship.
View Quote

The radar had to generate the proper PRF's to guide the missiles correctly as guidance for at least the A models was embedded into the radar PRF's. The C used a different DL AFAIK. The APG73 did not have the same range as the AWG-9, so you would be loosing a good amount of the actual capability of the missile there. And yeah fine I'm sure if you hockmered a pylon that could carry a phoenix and cool it depending on the version a hornet technically could haul it off the ship, IDK what the bring back limits are for them though and the phoenix was a heavy ass missile.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The radar had to generate the proper PRF's to guide the missiles correctly as guidance for at least the A models was embedded into the radar PRF's. The C used a different DL AFAIK. The APG73 did not have the same range as the AWG-9, so you would be loosing a good amount of the actual capability of the missile there. And yeah fine I'm sure if you hockmered a pylon that could carry a phoenix and cool it depending on the version a hornet technically could haul it off the ship, IDK what the bring back limits are for them though and the phoenix was a heavy ass missile.
View Quote
They aren't that heavy, about 1000 pounds.  Even legacy hornets few routinely with MK-84's which weigh over 2000 pounds.  But yeah, of course there would have to be some avionics changes to carry a missile that used 1960's technology.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
At being big, and sexy, and old
View Quote

Don't forget cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
They aren't that heavy, about 1000 pounds.  Even legacy hornets few routinely with MK-84's which weigh over 2000 pounds.  But yeah, of course there would have to be some avionics changes to carry a missile that used 1960's technology.
View Quote

The issue is kinematics though. Most of the "max range" on the phoenix is under the standard assumption that the target at 60k feet is doing half the work for you by coming at you head on at mach2+ or whatever. Then the other assumption is that your own alt and launch speed are as high as possible and as fast as possible. The F14 was certainly kinematically better in that sense than hornets, legacy or superbugs. Plus the "tunnel" on the F14 allowed for a very low drag solution for those phoenixes relatively speaking. A legacy F18 carrying 2 of those honkers is gonna give up alot kinematically, as will the super bug due to the rather large weight and drag penalty never mind 4 of them.  

And ultimately in 2006 when they retired the cats the 120D is like 2 years out, and basically gives you an equal or better capability than the big honker. IDK when exactly the super bugs started to carry them, but I bet there wasn't really "capability" gap for very long versus realistic threats in the 2010-2012 timeframe when the first Chinese carrier actually hit the water. And even then its not like initially Liaoning was much of a threat.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The AIM-54 was a missile designed for bomber sized non- maneuvering aircraft. it was worthless against an aware fighter

I can tell you that in 1985, 4 Tomcats didnt stand a chance against 4 Eagles

something about clubbing baby seals

now F-22 pilots talk like that about the F-15
View Quote

I get that the Tomcat wasn't the best dogfighter, but how did it fare as a Sparrow shooter?

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not AFAIK. The 3 shot were during DS1, 2 failed to fire, and the last one was defeated kinematically by a mig25.
View Quote

[Emphasis added.]  Not a phrase you expect to see very often, LOL.  What, it turned around when tracked, went into burner, and the AIM-54 ran out of ass?  Fast airplane tho'.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The APG73 did not have the same range as the AWG-9, so you would be loosing a good amount of the actual capability of the missile there. And yeah fine I'm sure if you hockmered a pylon that could carry a phoenix and cool it depending on the version a hornet technically could haul it off the ship, IDK what the bring back limits are for them though and the phoenix was a heavy ass missile.
View Quote

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/us-navy-f-14-crew-members-explain-how-you-could-land-a-tomcat-with-a-full-load-of-six-aim-54-phoenix-missiles-on-the-aircraft-carrier/
So, given the Phoenix (heavy) weight, was there any chance for an F-14 with a full load of six AIM-54s to land on the aircraft carrier?

US Navy F-14 crew members explain how you could land a Tomcat with a full load of six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles on the aircraft carrier
A Fighter Squadron 211 (VF-211) F-14A Tomcat aircraft banks into a turn during a flight out of Naval Air Station, Miramar, Calif. The aircraft is carrying six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles.
‘Actually, you could trap aboard the boat with 6 Phoenix, but you wouldn’t have much fuel at max trap gross weight,’ explains Dave Andersen, former F-14 Tomcat RIO, on Quora.

‘For a typical F-14A at 42K lbs nominal empty weight, add 6 AIM-54s with rails, you’re looking at about 8700lbs. At 54K lbs max trap gross weight that would give you 3.3K lbs of fuel for your first pass (you might check into marshal with a lot more but you’d have to dump down to max trap prior to trapping). That’s cutting it close for normal blue water ops, but in wartime if needed it could be done.

‘For an F-14D at 44k lbs empty weight, you’d be looking at <2K lbs of gas at max trap. That’s cutting it too close.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 4:21:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
[Emphasis added.]  Not a phrase you expect to see very often, LOL.  What, it turned around when tracked, went into burner, and the AIM-54 ran out of ass?  Fast airplane tho'.
View Quote
Kinematic defeating of a missile is a standard defensive tactic. It just means running the missile out of energy such that it can't actually hit the target.

In the terminal phase of flight, missiles are just coasting as their boosters have long since burned out.

This means that every time the target maneuvers, the missile has to scrub off energy making a flightpath correction to the new intercept course. Since that energy is finite, at some point enough speed is lost that the missile can no longer complete the intercept.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/us-navy-f-14-crew-members-explain-how-you-could-land-a-tomcat-with-a-full-load-of-six-aim-54-phoenix-missiles-on-the-aircraft-carrier/
So, given the Phoenix (heavy) weight, was there any chance for an F-14 with a full load of six AIM-54s to land on the aircraft carrier?

US Navy F-14 crew members explain how you could land a Tomcat with a full load of six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles on the aircraft carrier
A Fighter Squadron 211 (VF-211) F-14A Tomcat aircraft banks into a turn during a flight out of Naval Air Station, Miramar, Calif. The aircraft is carrying six AIM-54 Phoenix missiles.
‘Actually, you could trap aboard the boat with 6 Phoenix, but you wouldn’t have much fuel at max trap gross weight,’ explains Dave Andersen, former F-14 Tomcat RIO, on Quora.

‘For a typical F-14A at 42K lbs nominal empty weight, add 6 AIM-54s with rails, you’re looking at about 8700lbs. At 54K lbs max trap gross weight that would give you 3.3K lbs of fuel for your first pass (you might check into marshal with a lot more but you’d have to dump down to max trap prior to trapping). That’s cutting it close for normal blue water ops, but in wartime if needed it could be done.

‘For an F-14D at 44k lbs empty weight, you’d be looking at <2K lbs of gas at max trap. That’s cutting it too close.

View Quote

So far as Hornets with Phoenix goes (hypothetically), max trap weight on a Charlie/Delta Hornet is 34K. Off the top of my head two Phoenix, two empty bags and two Winders on the tips would give a similar first pass fuel load.

Not where I’d want to be for blue water ops as a starting point.

Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:05:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I get that the Tomcat wasn't the best dogfighter, but how did it fare as a Sparrow shooter?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The AIM-54 was a missile designed for bomber sized non- maneuvering aircraft. it was worthless against an aware fighter

I can tell you that in 1985, 4 Tomcats didnt stand a chance against 4 Eagles

something about clubbing baby seals

now F-22 pilots talk like that about the F-15

Range was limited. The Tomcat against the Eagle in a BVR environment generally did similiar type F-16 tactics ( before they got amraam ) of a bomb burst hoping to get someone in un-targeted trying to exploit the limitations of single target track.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:51:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Range was limited. The Tomcat against the Eagle in a BVR environment generally did similiar type F-16 tactics ( before they got amraam ) of a bomb burst hoping to get someone in un-targeted trying to exploit the limitations of single target track.
View Quote

Track-while-scan to the rescue...or now AESA radar which looks at everything simultaneously without the loss of track file fidelity that TWS had.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Track-while-scan to the rescue...or now AESA radar which looks at everything simultaneously without the loss of track file fidelity that TWS had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yep

"I'd shoot all those fuckers all at once"

Dos Gringos circa unknown

Going from STT with AIM-7 to Track While Scan and AMRAAM was like being  5 years old on Christmas morning times about a million.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Skyraider>F-14>f-35

View Quote

In U.S. service has more Mig kills than either of them.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Kinematic defeating of a missile is a standard defensive tactic. It just means running the missile out of energy such that it can't actually hit the target.

In the terminal phase of flight, missiles are just coasting as their boosters have long since burned out.

This means that every time the target maneuvers, the missile has to scrub off energy making a flightpath correction to the new intercept course. Since that energy is finite, at some point enough speed is lost that the missile can no longer complete the intercept.
View Quote

Right.  I had been thinking of it as the MiG was doing turns that the AIM-54 couldn't follow.  Which, seemed awfully unlikely.

OTOH, I understand it was a common way for the SR-71 to defeat intercept solutions, and it was never known as an agile beast either.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I thought that the AWG-9 could track 24 targets while shooting 6. Or was that just related to the AIM-54?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Right.  I had been thinking of it as the MiG was doing turns that the AIM-54 couldn't follow.  Which, seemed awfully unlikely.
View Quote

That's not as unlikely as you might think.

Remember that most missiles are not "kinetic kill" in that their guidance isn't designed to actually physically impact the aircraft, but rather just get it close enough for the warhead frag to cause damage. So all that has to occur in the end game of the intercept is for the fighter to pull enough G to generate an acceptable miss distance for that frag radius of the warhead.

If you think about how various missiles detect the end of the intercept and trigger the detonation, and given that frag travels inertially in the direction of the warhead flightpath (and not necessarily in the direction of the target's flight path), it isn't impossible to out maneuver a missile *enough* in the last couple seconds such that it doesn't actually hit. The amount of G required to do this varies from missile to missile, but it is not the same as the max G performance of the missile because in the terminal phase the missiles are coasting and don't have that max G available.

You might be surprised to learn that, at live missile test shoots, in order to keep the full-scale drones (e.g. the Phantoms and F-16s) from getting shot down they only have to maneuver a very small bit, and not even at particularly high G, to generate acceptable miss distance. Now, those test shots don't have a live warhead on them, so they only have to physically miss the missile and not the frag pattern...but the concept out there in real life with live missiles works the same way.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I believe we did not. But Iran did, and they sorta worked quite fucking well IIRC.
View Quote

I think the US fired three and on two of them the engines failed to light.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the AMRAAM can do what the AIM-54 does and does it better. AIM-120D has a range of 99 miles and a better tech, lighter weight, and is compatible with all of our airframes.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I mean what, how do you think missiles work? Certainly the 25 didn't win a fight, but it didn't loose it either.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:35:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fair enough, IKD if they had to drop tanks to make those weights. At any rate it wasn't done all that often for the other reasons mentioned as well as this one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:38:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

the AMRAAM can do what the AIM-54 does and does it better. AIM-120D has a range of 99 miles and a better tech, lighter weight, and is compatible with all of our airframes.
View Quote

I'd put that "99" into some serious airquotes just like the 54's 100 miles or whatever wiki range it has, but yeah point stands its a far better missile in general.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:41:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I thought that the AWG-9 could track 24 targets while shooting 6. Or was that just related to the AIM-54?
View Quote

What exactly is the question? The AWG-9 afaik was the first AA radar capable of actually doing TWS... That didn't mean it did it well, but for the early 1970's with literally a 3 dollar calculator computer processor (in modern 1980's terms) its not half bad, considering the rest of the uncivilized world didn't have anywhere near that capability till a decade or more later.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are you talking an all Sparrow engagement from the days of yore, or where the Eagle has AMRAAM?
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'd put that "99" into some serious airquotes just like the 54's 100 miles or whatever wiki range it has, but yeah point stands its a far better missile in general.
View Quote

Consider the kinematics of a delivery from an F-22, at max altitude, max speed, head-on aspect...

Prsviously, and MudEagle covered it well, the hilarious part to me was a Foxbat, which on a good day, per Belenko, could pull +3.5g, outturning a missile shot.  It was me not fully considering the full reach of the term kinematic.

@MudEagle, thank you.  I was surprised to learn that.  I'd quibble that a missile at burnout can indeed perform a max-G turn; it just can't replenish its energy to maintain the turn or do more than one.  TIL...
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:48:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

As is evidenced by threads like this, most folks don't understand the nuances of missile "ranges", especially with respect to launch speed and altitude, and target aspect, speed, and maneuvering.

I don't blame folks who don't have that knowledge for hanging their hat on unclassified static numbers, as the fact that "there is no one single range number, it depends on these multiple dynamic variables" is a much more difficult concept to wrap your mind around.

It is even more amazing for people to realize that missiles are not laser guns (e.g. they take a considerable time-of-flight to actually make their way to the intercept) and that they don't have Pks of 1.0.  Even the good missiles have effective Pks of closer to 0.5, and one-shot-one-kill is *extremely* rare.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:51:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At being big, and sexy, and old
View Quote

Well, I sure hope that comes back in style.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 11:57:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
a Foxbat, which on a good day, per Belenko, could pull +3.5g, outturning a missile shot.
View Quote

When you're talking about high/fast flyers like the Foxbat, even less maneuvering is required to kinematically defeat the missile because of the distances required for a lead-pursuit-to-intercept. A single 30-degree turn from a Mach 2 target could instantaneously require an additional 50 miles for the missile's intercept flightpath (which the missile suddenly doesn't have the fuel or energy for).
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:14:42 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Fair enough, IKD if they had to drop tanks to make those weights. At any rate it wasn't done all that often for the other reasons mentioned as well as this one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vietnam showed that bouncing missiles around a bunch of takeoff and traps wasn't really that great for the missiles, so I dunno why anybody would bother putting 6 on a carrier Tomcat other than to test it or a situation where you'd expect them to not bring all 6 back. Especially at 500k in FY74 dollars.

Quoted:
Quoted:
a Foxbat, which on a good day, per Belenko, could pull +3.5g, outturning a missile shot.

When you're talking about high/fast flyers like the Foxbat, even less maneuvering is required to kinematically defeat the missile because of the distances required for a lead-pursuit-to-intercept. A single 30-degree turn from a Mach 2 target could instantaneously require an additional 50 miles for the missile's intercept flightpath (which the missile suddenly doesn't have the fuel or energy for).

I recall in one of my books on DS, that when the Iraqis picked up a Tomcat radar they'd just turn and open the distance at high speed. Which to my uninformed brain says they learned against the Iranians that if they basically did what you said the Phoenix couldn't get them.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top