User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 248
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This is gay.

Andretti’s Indycar team has been in a decline for several years, can’t imagine how they’d fair in F1.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cadillac?

This is gay.

Andretti’s Indycar team has been in a decline for several years, can’t imagine how they’d fair in F1.

And Indycar is a spec series with only the suspension (dampers, rates, etc) to play with.

Now they are going to put together a team that needs to (1) design and build an entire car (2) handle every other off track requirement (logistics, sourcing and repairs, etc) (3) build an English base of operations.

And the real kick in the balls is the fact that they are going to have to steal from other teams for the manpower in a budget cap restricted pay scale environment.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And Indycar is a spec series with only the suspension (dampers, rates, etc) to play with.

Now they are going to put together a team that needs to (1) design and build an entire car (2) handle every other off track requirement (logistics, sourcing and repairs, etc) (3) build an English base of operations.

And the real kick in the balls is the fact that they are going to have to steal from other teams for the manpower in a budget cap restricted pay scale environment.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have ALO winning a race as my shock for this season.
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
3 way fight early on , then its just merc and rb at the end. lol
View Quote

All Haas, all the time.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2023 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

All Haas, all the time.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:08:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Andretti is building a large facility in Fishers, IN (north of Indianapolis) that I think they want to house the Formula 1 team and Indycar operations.
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Andretti Caddy needs a Haas + Ford Rival!

and eventually Gunther signs a big driver and they have perfect a ford PU.... Ford vs Ferrari
Link Posted: 1/6/2023 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
https://racingnews365.com/why-f1s-muted-response-to-the-andretti-cadillac-announcement

I shouldn’t be surprised by the ignorance in the press surrounding the “Andretti” bid, but I am.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:19:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Andretti is building a large facility in Fishers, IN (north of Indianapolis) that I think they want to house the Formula 1 team and Indycar operations.
View Quote

My understanding is it's a shared resource campus that will home all of operations for series that Andretti Motorsports engages in.

They will also have adjunct FOB facility in England dedicated to the F1 venture.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#10]
In for another season.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:15:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like Andretti using Renault engines isn't set in stone, with Honda being a possibilty.

The significance of Andretti’s blockbuster new Cadillac F1 bid
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#13]
In for another.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Sounds like Andretti using Renault engines isn't set in stone, with Honda being a possibilty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFnBEAGmOPs
View Quote

Honda is still riding the fence on 2026 and Cadillac’s involvement would relegate the team to a non-works entry (as Honda wouldn’t go through the effort just to have a team rebrand the PU to Cadillac).
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Andretti x Caddy couldn't have picked a more difficult time to re-enter the sport in so much as engine/PU era.

They only have a handful of options:

Ferrari Customer - 0% chance this happens  

Mercedes Customer - 0% as well

Roll Your Own - Is there a number less than 0? Negative 0 chance the first two years

Red Bull Customer - <25% chance

Leaving the most likely option as
Renault, as there are no natural conflicts of interest or majorly embarrassing marketing points when it relates to the promoting the connection with its road cars.

Renault, the brand, does not sell its cars America and most would understand F1 powerplants need 1-2 years of development for a team doing their own ground up bespoke development.

To that end, it's a shame the PUs are now so capital intensive and complex to develop that the independent contract designers and builders like a Katech, Judd, Cosworth, etc can no longer afford to play.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 6:35:01 PM EDT
[#16]
It's fun watching the survey's trickle in and seeing what you guys all think is going to happen this season. 32 responses so far, keep them coming!
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's fun watching the survey's trickle in and seeing what you guys all think is going to happen this season. 32 responses so far, keep them coming!
View Quote

I’m waiting until the last day to submit mine.
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#18]
This short film came across my feed.
It's not F1, but I think any racing fan would enjoy it.

Richard Madden (Game of Thrones) stars in Award-Winning Rally Short Film | Group B

Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The future of professional motorsports...sadly

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/IndyCar-Autonomous-Challenge/5-2614650/
View Quote

Like Formula E, which has been an overwhelming success.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The future of professional motorsports...sadly

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/IndyCar-Autonomous-Challenge/5-2614650/
View Quote

Look at like this, the performance envelop of pointy noses (fighter jets) has already exceeded the capacity of human pilots.

What we see in the air flying are compromised designs. The engineers have to reduce the performance to mitigate the stresses of what a pinnacle design could less they damage, destroy, or kill the soft squishy brain, organs, and body at the controls.

F1 cars, well, they're already halfway there.

I guess we have to accept if we want all our pinnacle car design and racing in the distant future, the human has to be taken out of the car.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:58:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm doing the same, hoping to place a bit better this year.

Nice to see my question made the survey.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Not surprising

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not surprising

View Quote

Weird game going on. The FIA was apparently “surprised” and I guess it takes senior team figure to announce that Cadillac’s involvement is nothing more than a badging exercise.

Of course, the vocal minority online is shocked and angry.

Concerning that vocal minority, I was part of marketing analysis last year for a group that was looking to create F1 content. They ultimately pulled the plug and one of the main reasons was “the immaturity and ignorance of the vast majority of the fanbase”. To explain, in a “mature” fanbase like football, once you get out of the casual viewer level, data and economics provide a majority of the content on “off” days. For F1, the vast majority of the fanbase was categorized as casual with an “off” day content preference best served by “humor and rumor” with a susceptibility to both clickbait and false proclamations.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Weird game going on. The FIA was apparently “surprised” and I guess it takes senior team figure to announce that Cadillac’s involvement is nothing more than a badging exercise.

Concerning that vocal minority, I was part of marketing analysis last year for a group that was looking to create F1 content. They ultimately pulled the plug and one of the main reasons was “the immaturity and ignorance of the vast majority of the fanbase”. To explain, in a “mature” fanbase like football, once you get out of the casual viewer level, data and economics provide a majority of the content on “off” days. For F1, the vast majority of the fanbase was categorized as casual with an “off” day content preference best served by “humor and rumor” with a susceptibility to both clickbait and false proclamations.
View Quote

Doesn’t surprise me one bit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s FOM’s fault ultimately (with a little bit of Bernie’s legacy still in there).

I wish I never got involved with the project. Pulling the curtain back and really analyzing the entire circus has dulled my enthusiasm.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It’s FOM’s fault ultimately (with a little bit of Bernie’s legacy still in there).

I wish I never got involved with the project. Pulling the curtain back and really analyzing the entire circus has dulled my enthusiasm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The rumormill and personal conflicts have powered motorsports as much as the engines. It's really nothing new with F1, used to be in columns and op-ed's, through pre and post race interviews, now it's moved online.
Link Posted: 1/8/2023 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not surprising

View Quote

From the president of the FIA.

Link Posted: 1/8/2023 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The rumormill and personal conflicts have powered motorsports as much as the engines. It's really nothing new with F1, used to be in columns and op-ed's, through pre and post race interviews, now it's moved online.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed and that’s the problem. Similar coverage to the 80 and 90’s, but online. We are a couple of decades into the internet and there are plenty of models that  provide content in depth (for all levels of fandom), but FOM has chosen to really only push the “cult of personality”. One reason stems from broadcast rights and not stepping on the toes of the national contract holders, another stems from controlling the narrative and keeping the “mystery” of the races (entertainment) rather than telling a story with analytics (sport).

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 1:46:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Not surprising

View Quote

I’m willing to bet that if Porsche wanted to enter as a full factory team (or Audi, if they went for their own entry instead of partnering with an existing team), that tune would be quite different.  I’d also bet that Toto, who is one of the biggest whiners about “dilution”, would support their bids without hesitation.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:26:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Matt and Tommy are leaving WTF1

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Alonso 2023 WDC confirmed

Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:54:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CH6ro6Yj94
View Quote

The owners are scraping the bottom of the “humor and rumor” fanbase barrel with new lineup of “influencers”.

ETA: https://theracemedialtd.com/new-wtf1-pre-season-signings-reflect-demographics-of-exploding-fan-base/
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#35]
“Andretti” isn’t getting in with a new team.

In fact, the GM plan – which is effectively offering manufacturers the opportunity for a cheap way to hang their coat tails on an F1 entry – has annoyed factions within the paddock so much that there is talk of a push for the rules to change to clamp down on what power units can be rebadged as in the future.

In the long term, what is the point of an OEM spending billions on developing their own power units to achieve success in F1, if the door is open for one of their competitors to sign a sponsorship deal for $20 million to take the same publicity?

Even the current discussions between Ford and Red Bull from 2026 is about a proper involvement in the Milton Keynes-based team’s technical operation, rather than just a badge on an engine.
View Quote

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why-f1-and-teams-are-still-not-impressed-by-andrettis-new-team-plans/10418569/
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Can we all agree that the most sacrilegious mistake F1 has made in the last decade isn't the 2021 Abu Dabi shenanigans- its axing the Grid Girls.

Can we petition for the Grid Girls to come back?!?
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Agreed and that’s the problem. Similar coverage to the 80 and 90’s, but online. We are a couple of decades into the internet and there are plenty of models that  provide content in depth (for all levels of fandom), but FOM has chosen to really only push the “cult of personality”. One reason stems from broadcast rights and not stepping on the toes of the national contract holders, another stems from controlling the narrative and keeping the “mystery” of the races (entertainment) rather than telling a story with analytics (sport).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.(Not that your statement can be disagreed with. )   F1 does some official analytical stuff, but most of the more in depth tech and sport analysis is done by outside folks; like chainbear, Driver61(w/Scarbs), KYLE.ENGINEERS and Pete Windsor.(off the top of my head)
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saw that, the new line up looks lame.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:56:56 PM EDT
[#39]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
“Andretti” isn’t getting in with a new team.

In fact, the GM plan – which is effectively offering manufacturers the opportunity for a cheap way to hang their coat tails on an F1 entry – has annoyed factions within the paddock so much that there is talk of a push for the rules to change to clamp down on what power units can be rebadged as in the future.

In the long term, what is the point of an OEM spending billions on developing their own power units to achieve success in F1, if the door is open for one of their competitors to sign a sponsorship deal for $20 million to take the same publicity?

Even the current discussions between Ford and Red Bull from 2026 is about a proper involvement in the Milton Keynes-based team’s technical operation, rather than just a badge on an engine.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/why-f1-and-teams-are-still-not-impressed-by-andrettis-new-team-plans/10418569/

It's a legitimate argument IMO, and it's why I don't think we will ever see another private team enter F1. If anyone is going to get the paddocks blessings, it's going to be a car manufacturer who will actually be bringing something to the grid. Toto said the other day something along these lines: "What are you adding to the show?"

Haas will be the last ever new private team, mark my words.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

The owners are scraping the bottom of the “humor and rumor” fanbase barrel with new lineup of “influencers”.

ETA: https://theracemedialtd.com/new-wtf1-pre-season-signings-reflect-demographics-of-exploding-fan-base/
View Quote

Ugh. They kicked out the founder, too.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Here’s some rumor and tea leaf reading….

Sometime in the future, Mohammed Ben Sulayem (president of the FIA) will be forced to step down for taking bribes from people associated with the Andretti bid. Everyone else will get a lifetime ban.

Good article from Andrew Benson on the growing divide between FOM/Teams and the FIA

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/64210632

Ben Sulayem's public pronouncements have led to questions.

Why, senior figures wonder, is he expressing such vocal support for Andretti when the position of the FIA is to be an independent arbiter in any new team admissions process?

Why is he apparently publicly questioning F1, with which the FIA is supposed to work in partnership?

And why is he putting out these pronouncements from his private Twitter account, rather than formally through the FIA's communications department, an approach one team boss described as "a bit peculiar".
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m assuming they’ll start a new channel. If you look at their twitter the banner says “new project loading…”
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’m assuming they’ll start a new channel. If you look at their twitter the banner says “new project loading…”
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So much for watching WTF1 anymore, great that there is diversity in the fan base but why the hell does and "F1 influencer" need to be on a channel. Its just going to be the same as every other stupid fluff channel.

Its great "Drive to Survive" is expanding the fanbase but some of the douche bags coming in need to be thrown out.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Son and I have tickets for Canada again this year! Should be a great time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:32:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I forget, is Andretti planning on using a Renault power unit?
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Also interesting (if the report is correct) that McLaren is against it. Zak Brown has connections with Michael Andretti and was onboard when Michael was trolling the pit lane with a petition.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#48]
As long as I have rocket powered Mohawk, I could care less about wtf1 to be honest.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Yes.

Also interesting (if the report is correct) that McLaren is against it. Zak Brown has connections with Michael Andretti and was onboard when Michael was trolling the pit lane with a petition.
View Quote
There's a shock.

Still, it's been a while since there was a team that's crashed and burned (in all the ways) mid-season.
Link Posted: 1/10/2023 12:02:00 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that's the case - not unheard of. Remember Infiniti (Nissan) was all over Redbull's powered by Renault. Granted yes, Renault owns Nissan - but there was no connection for Infiniti outside of a branding exercise.
Page / 248
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top