BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:29:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These are not yellow jackets. They are Polistes dominula, the European paper wasp.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They sound like yellow jackets.  They're real asshoe.

https://cdn.insteading.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/yellow-jackets.jpg

These are not yellow jackets. They are Polistes dominula, the European paper wasp.
YUP!  I've lived in Texas my entire life and only just recently learned that what I grew up calling a yellow jacket is actually the paper wasp.  As I understand it, they look VERY similar, but not identical.  Paper wasps make the tan, papery honey-comb looking nets up high off the ground (eves, trees, bird feeders, etc.) where actual yellow jackets nest in holes in the ground.  And lucky me, we have both at our house.   As well as those red wasp b@$+@rds!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:32:50 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a year for them in my AO (northern NY.)  So far this summer I have had 5 different nests of two different species to deal with.  Got stung twice so far.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have you tried sending them $1.25B?
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MURDER HORNETS
View Quote

WHY WOULD THE LIBRARIANS DO THIS
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are they black with white striping?
View Quote

Bald-faced hornets suck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:34:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Attachment Attached File

I had a fight with a bald faced hornet nest recently.  Bastards made a basketball sized nest in my rhododendron plant.  Nailed me in the top of my head before my assault began.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:40:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Got stung on the lip by a red wasp when I was cleaning out my gutters. Evidently the was a void between the gutters themselves and the downspout. Ended up killing him and his whole crew but damn that sucked for a day or two.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
AI says:

Yes, wasps are good pollinators. Wasps are insects in the same order as bees and ants, called Hymenoptera. They pollinate flowers they visit, just like bees. Although most species don't pollinate plants because they don't have the soft hairs or special body part for pollen storage that bees have, wasps are attracted to nectar and carry out a useful amount of pollination in the garden.
Studies have shown that wasps can even step up and pollinate plants when bees are absent. For example, great black wasps are solitary wasps responsible for some pollination in Minnesota.
Wasps also play a key role in controlling harmful or invasive insects. If wasps went extinct, it would disrupt the delicate balance of our ecosystem, leading to negative consequences such as overpopulation of other insects and loss of pollinator species.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#11]
You need some good foaming wasp spray. Shit knocks them right down. No flying.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, I sprayed and knocked down a decent nest on my porch last night.

Feeling good about myself, I walked back inside. As I was walking into the kitchen to reward myself with a beer...Blam on my shoulder, blam on my back. It took a second to recognize what was happening, but I ripped off my shirt.

I asked my 15 year old son "Where is it?"

"Its on your head"

"Well - Smack it"

Dude grabbed a broom and I said fuck all that. Some how that little bastard fell into the collar of my shirt.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top