Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 36
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By StarCityShooter:

Can I beat it with a meat tenderizing hammer? Brine it with salt? I got to do something with it
View Quote

Cook it and slice it really thin and use as sammich meat
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Can I beat it with a meat tenderizing hammer? Brine it with salt? I got to do something with it

Good call. Could also add it to eggs and whatnot
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Dinner last night was 18 Oz fatty hamburger, 3 eggs fried in the hamburger grease, and a quarter cup of sour cream.  Felt hungry this morning, had a single cheese stick, hunger gone.

Looking forward to some variation of the same ingredients tonight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:19:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Yes, you do.  Take a clean dish pan, fill with hot water out of the sink.  Place steak in ziplock, remove most air, dunk in the hot water making sure to keep the ziplock seal out of the water (I use a medium paper binder).  Replace the cooling water with hot water every 30 minutes or so.  No need for 24 hours, an hour before cooking will do it, if the steak is just cold, not frozen.  Frozen might take another hour or so.  Very well worth it.  If I want hotter water, it's easy to change with our tankless water heater.
View Quote

easy version, buy this thing . WHen you are packing your meat to freeze, throw whatever spices (if using) and butter in the bags as you vac seal it.

then you start the sous vide, throw in the frozen meat between 1 and 12 hours before you want to eat it, at like 131+ in a pot (or a cooler with the hole cut in the top for the machine). Let it go till 15 minutes before serving. Pull out of hot water and run under cold or ice bath to stop it, open bag, sear the shit out of the meat with fire or hot cast iron, and serve.

I've done this with everything from ribeye and tenderloin to garbage flank and rump roasts. Cooks up great
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 12:31:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#5]

Really? So do the below steps:

Fill clean dish pan with hot water
Place zip lock bag with steak in it (most air removed, seal out of the water)
Replace water every 30 min with hot water for hour or so before cooking

Thats it? So do it with the steak cold, not room temp like when I prep ribeye? Also, Id assume I can then do my butter and salt mix before grilling it per usual?

I did read that they cook better low and slow. Should I still do that after your process?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Merlin:
Yes, you do.  Take a clean dish pan, fill with hot water out of the sink.  Place steak in ziplock, remove most air, dunk in the hot water making sure to keep the ziplock seal out of the water (I use a medium paper binder).  Replace the cooling water with hot water every 30 minutes or so.  No need for 24 hours, an hour before cooking will do it, if the steak is just cold, not frozen.  Frozen might take another hour or so.  Very well worth it.  If I want hotter water, it's easy to change with our tankless water heater.

Really? So do the below steps:

Fill clean dish pan with hot water
Place zip lock bag with steak in it (most air removed, seal out of the water)
Replace water every 30 min with hot water for hour or so before cooking

Thats it? So do it with the steak cold, not room temp like when I prep ribeye? Also, Id assume I can then do my butter and salt mix before grilling it per usual?

I did read that they cook better low and slow. Should I still do that after your process?
It's not complicated.  This version of Sous Vid doesn't really cook the steak per se.  It just warms it up to a pretty high temp vs room temp, depending on your water heater temp etc..  For me, it makes tougher steaks like Chuck far more tender, the fat loosens/renders easier and is just a better steak than either a cold or room temp steak.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 2:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By jchewie1:
Dinner last night was 18 Oz fatty hamburger, 3 eggs fried in the hamburger grease, and a quarter cup of sour cream.  Felt hungry this morning, had a single cheese stick, hunger gone.

Looking forward to some variation of the same ingredients tonight.
View Quote

Speaking of hamburger grease: yesterday I made taco meat with 3 pounds of 73/27 ground beef.  Being on carnivore, I didn’t drain the excess grease like I normally would.  Well, there was so much grease that is was basically a soup.

I think next time I’ll try 80/20 beef.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#7]

I dont have the equipment for that.

Next best option?
View All Quotes
Anyone ever make steaks out of a chuck roast?

Yes, sous vide for 18-24 hours first.

I dont have the equipment for that.

Next best option?

I did that just the other day. About 1" thick. Pop it on the grill just like a ribeye.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Made homemade keto pizza.

Ground pork rinds, eggs for the crust.

Cream sauce from heavy cream.

Mozzarella, pepperoni, mushrooms,  olives and jalapeños.  

It was pretty good.  

Yeah I cheated. A little bit. Attachment Attached File

Only had 3 slices. Very filling.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Eggs cooked in bacon grease > eggs cooked in sausage grease > eggs cooked in butter
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Hunter-Killer:
Eggs cooked in bacon grease > eggs cooked in sausage grease > eggs cooked in butter
View Quote

Just did the same after making bacon for the week

Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
What's the deal with the Kerry gold butter vs other brands
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ckh1980:
View Quote

Fat content is higher.
It’s becoming a real thing that butter companies are reducing the content.  It really affects the bakers.
Big butter is just as bad as any other big business.

Also. US requires 80% butter. EU requires 82-90%

European is fattier and better.

A lot of them are now “butter spreads” and have seed oils added.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:41:47 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote

Buy some Kerrygold, and some 'normal' butter.

Make sure they've been in the fridge about the same amount of time so there's no bias towards one or the other.

Pull them each out and cut into each.

The difference will be immediately noticeable -- the Kerrygold is much softer. You can almost spread it straight out of the fridge.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

Products from grass fed animals have a different omega fat makeup, more 3 less 6.

Butters like plugra and president have higher fat content
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:53:01 AM EDT
[#15]
So finished week 4 and Im down 21lbs and a ton of energy, focus, clarity.

Still having the squirts though. The good thing is its faster dumps and easier cleanup I might have a solid 1 out of every 4-5 if that.

I do electrolytes every day, digestive enzymes if its a larger meal, and I drink a gallon plus of water every day.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:

Fat content is higher.
It’s becoming a real thing that butter companies are reducing the content.  It really affects the bakers.

View All Quotes

Fat content is higher.

Bingo.  Pay very close attention to the labels.  The seed oil spreads are a thing, and they are not good for you.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucky-Charm] [#17]

Still having the squirts though. The good thing is its faster dumps and easier cleanup I might have a solid 1 out of every 4-5 if that.

I do electrolytes every day, digestive enzymes if its a larger meal, and I drink a gallon plus of water every day.

View Quote

@StarCityShooter

You can back off the electrolytes they are really only needed in the first couple of weeks. Sure it doesn't hurt buy may be adding to your situation. I'm in well over a year and will only take the electrolytes on occasion maybe every 3 months or so or if I get a cramp which is quite rare. I would probably stop the enzymes as well they just aren't needed.

If you drink coffee this may also contribute. Some folks can get away with it I cannot.

As for the water just drink when you're thirsty no need to try and drink a gallon.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Lucky-Charm:

@StarCityShooter

You can back off the electrolytes they are really only needed in the first couple of weeks. Sure it doesn't hurt buy may be adding to your situation. I'm in well over a year and will only take the electrolytes on occasion maybe every 3 months or so or if I get a cramp which is quite rare. I would probably stop the enzymes as well they just aren't needed.

If you drink coffee this may also contribute. Some folks can get away with it I cannot.

As for the water just drink when you're thirsty no need to try and drink a gallon.

View All Quotes

@StarCityShooter

Got it, Ill stop the electrolytes and enzymes to see what changes happen.

Not a coffee drinker, so thats not it.

Ive been drinking a gallon +/day for years, never had issues. I dont force it, its just what I drink.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Ive been drinking a gallon +/day for years, never had issues. I dont force it, its just what I drink.
View Quote

I neglected to mention watch your fat intake as well it can also lead to your issue. If you want to post your daily meals or PM me I can help figure this out.

Watch for consuming rendered fat in large quantities. If you chew the fat it generally goes through the body ok as the bodies natural processes are designed to handle that. If you are are cooking in large amounts of rendered fat ie:butter, bacon fat, tallow then consuming the body wasn't designed to process this and it can sometimes go right through.

If that is what you drink on a daily basis cool, just didn't want ya thinking you had to. Some Dr.'s have suggested avoiding drinking water 30 minutes before and after you eat to aid in digestion in theory it makes sense. Just something to play around with. I like some water with my meal so I drink water with my meal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:27:49 PM EDT
[#20]

I neglected to mention watch your fat intake as well it can also lead to your issue. If you want to post your daily meals or PM me I can help figure this out.

Watch for consuming rendered fat in large quantities. If you chew the fat it generally goes through the body ok as the bodies natural processes are designed to handle that. If you are are cooking in large amounts of rendered fat ie:butter, bacon fat, tallow then consuming the body wasn't designed to process this and it can sometimes go right through.

If that is what you drink on a daily basis cool, just didn't want ya thinking you had to. Some Dr.'s have suggested avoiding drinking water 30 minutes before and after you eat to aid in digestion in theory it makes sense. Just something to play around with. I like some water with my meal so I drink water with my meal.
View All Quotes

Ahh wondering if its the butter. Ive been using it a lot for scrambling/frying eggs, and I slather melted butter and salt all over steak before I grill it.

Basic daily meals are below, usually one of the egg meals and one of the beef meals every day:

-3 hardboiled eggs with salt, 3-4 slices of bacon
-4 to 6 scrambled or fried eggs in butter with salt, some shredded Tillamook cheddar

-6oz to 9oz of "smash burger" patties, salt, Tillamook cheddar, 4-5 slices bacon
-6oz to 9oz fried ground beef (in its own fat, no butter) salt, shredded Tillamook cheddar added
-Ribeye or flank steak, basted with melted butter and salt then grilled

-chicken tenderloins wrapped in bacon, grilled (only had this 2x in a month)
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:29:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

Bingo.  Pay very close attention to the labels.  The seed oil spreads are a thing, and they are not good for you.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnprocess:

Fat content is higher.

Seed oils are poison.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I know leg cramps are a possible side effect for carnivore, but have any of y’all experienced upper body cramps since starting carnivore?

I was doing tricep extensions yesterday and experienced a cramp so bad I was kind of worried I might have torn my tricep.  I have NEVER had a tricep cramp in my life, much less a severe one.
View Quote

I had intense cramps when I started. Foot and calf cramps at night, core cramps tying shoes, random thumb cramps. I tried all the usual remedies, but they didn't really work: salt, potassium, magnesium, boron.

It went away when I switched to beef, salt and water. I tried adding eggs back in last week, 3 eggs first day and cramps at night, 3 for breakfast and lunch, cramps working out in evening. I stopped the eggs, and the cramps faded away over the past week.

I may try again to confirm that's the source of my cramps. Anyone else notice this?

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Darigold butter seems to be pure ingredients. At least thats what their label says
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

Just cut it into cubes and throw it into an instant pot. You can use London broil too. Heavily salted and 58 minutes in high pressure and the meat falls apart.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NoloContendere:

Just cut it into cubes and throw it into an instant pot. You can use London broil too. Heavily salted and 58 minutes in high pressure and the meat falls apart.

Copy that. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:42:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Ahh wondering if its the butter. Ive been using it a lot for scrambling/frying eggs, and I slather melted butter and salt all over steak before I grill it.

Basic daily meals are below, usually one of the egg meals and one of the beef meals every day:

-4 to 6 scrambled or fried eggs in butter with salt, some shredded Tillamook cheddar

-6oz to 9oz of "smash burger" patties, salt, Tillamook cheddar, 4-5 slices bacon
-6oz to 9oz fried ground beef (in its own fat, no butter) salt, shredded Tillamook cheddar added

View Quote

My research found that too much protein could also be the problem.  Something to the effect of what you can’t absorb being converted to ammonia. Which in turn causes the body to speed up the expulsion process.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:59:02 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

@StarCityShooter

Try backing off the added fat for a bit and see if that straitens you out. I would also try backing off the cheese as well now that you are getting to be fat adapted cheese will dramatically slow weight loss if that is your goal.  

Cheese is great to break up the monotony of just eating ruminant animal meat but is very calorie dense and doesn't add much in the way of nutrients. About the only cheese I will eat on occasion is sheep and goat milk cheeses for their health benefits.

If that doesn't work clean up your diet to only red meat beef/lamb and salt. I average about 2lbs a day of either steak (ribeye) or ground beef (80/20) for reference.

In the beginning we say to add fat to help the body see fat as its fuel source at some point if weight loss is the goal and you are fat adapted you want the body to start to use its fat stores. This doesn't mean to eat lean meat just dont add any additional fat.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:19:34 AM EDT
[#28]

@StarCityShooter

Try backing off the added fat for a bit and see if that straitens you out. I would also try backing off the cheese as well now that you are getting to be fat adapted cheese will dramatically slow weight loss if that is your goal.  

Cheese is great to break up the monotony of just eating ruminant animal meat but is very calorie dense and doesn't add much in the way of nutrients. About the only cheese I will eat on occasion is sheep and goat milk cheeses for their health benefits.

If that doesn't work clean up your diet to only red meat beef/lamb and salt. I average about 2lbs a day of either steak (ribeye) or ground beef (80/20) for reference.

In the beginning we say to add fat to help the body see fat as its fuel source at some point if weight loss is the goal and you are fat adapted you want the body to start to use its fat stores. This doesn't mean to eat lean meat just dont add any additional fat.
View Quote

@Lucky-Charm

Copy that. I'll start phasing out the cheese and just use it to break up monotony here and there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm in week 7 and my appetite, which was nonexistent for a long time has come back with a vengeance, for both me and my wife.

I'm hungry pretty much all the time. I think I'm dropping lots of fat and my body just doesn't want to, so I'm hungry all the time.

I'm sticking with it though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Last night I had 8 drumsticks for dinner.  Goddamn that was a good meal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:38:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Bumping this one back up.

End of week 5, down 26lbs and feel great.  

Ive gotten so much done around the house after work and weekends with the extra energy and focus. Its been an amazing ride so far
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve fallen off the wagon pretty hard this past week.  Starting tonight I get back on the nothing but meat.

Making a few steaks that will get me through a few days…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:
I’ve fallen off the wagon pretty hard this past week.  Starting tonight I get back on the nothing but meat.

Making a few steaks that will get me through a few days…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/254555/E8DC6A14-5746-4715-89CF-BDCF5F6EE921_jpe-3200500.JPG
View Quote

Making stuff like bacon, chicken, ribs, etc. days before you plan to eat it is one thing.

Can’t say I’d ever do that for a good steak though.  To me, there is a night and day difference between a good steak that was cooked 10-30 mins ago and that same steak reheated 24+ hours later.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:02:20 PM EDT
[#34]

Making stuff like bacon, chicken, ribs, etc. days before you plan to eat it is one thing.

Can’t say I’d ever do that for a good steak though.  To me, there is a night and day difference between a good steak that was cooked 10-30 mins ago and that same steak reheated 24+ hours later.
View Quote

I agree, it is not the best plan, but we will each eat one of those tonight, so that’s 5 down.

Then the boy will take two or three with and have steak in a bag, rather than the noodles and shit he eats when he is traveling for work.

During the week, none of us get home before 630 at night, so smoking and cooking a steak would take us till 9 or later, so it is what it is…
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#35]

I agree, it is not the best plan, but we will each eat one of those tonight, so that’s 5 down.

Then the boy will take two or three with and have steak in a bag, rather than the noodles and shit he eats when he is traveling for work.

During the week, none of us get home before 630 at night, so smoking and cooking a steak would take us till 9 or later, so it is what it is…
View All Quotes

You might consider using a cast iron skillet during the week.  You can cook a ribeye steak in about 8 minutes.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been stalled at 250 for a few weeks now, and I'm pretty sure it's because I've been eating a lot of cheese. Still haven't had sugar or carbs. Oh well, back to strict carnivore. Plus coffee. Can't go without caffeine to go along with hate at work.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 68MUDSTUD:
I've been stalled at 250 for a few weeks now, and I'm pretty sure it's because I've been eating a lot of cheese. Still haven't had sugar or carbs. Oh well, back to strict carnivore. Plus coffee. Can't go without caffeine to go along with hate at work.
View Quote

With a few rare exceptions (like goat cheese), all cheese has carbs.  Though hard cheeses have very few…. at least per serving.

If you’re only drinking coffee for the caffeine, you might consider giving caffeine pills a try.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:52:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 20229mm] [#38]
What do you guys recommend for spices and for bbq sauce?

I hate how every bbq spice combo or bbq sauce is loaded with sugar or salt.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#39]

With a few rare exceptions (like goat cheese), all cheese has carbs.  Though hard cheeses have very few…. at least per serving.

If you’re only drinking coffee for the caffeine, you might consider giving caffeine pills a try.
View Quote

Thats what I do
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#40]
How many here of you guys consistently get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By J4C3:

I had intense cramps when I started. Foot and calf cramps at night, core cramps tying shoes, random thumb cramps. I tried all the usual remedies, but they didn't really work: salt, potassium, magnesium, boron.

It went away when I switched to beef, salt and water. I tried adding eggs back in last week, 3 eggs first day and cramps at night, 3 for breakfast and lunch, cramps working out in evening. I stopped the eggs, and the cramps faded away over the past week.

I may try again to confirm that's the source of my cramps. Anyone else notice this?

View Quote

Boron finally did the trick for me.  Fascinating observations on the eggs though. I eat a shit ton of eggs. I still get occasional cramps but nowhere near the level of when I first started carnavore.

I may have to test this myself

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#42]

You might consider using a cast iron skillet during the week.  You can cook a ribeye steak in about 8 minutes.
View Quote

This.

I do this almost daily. If it's not stake it's hamburger or seasoned ground beef.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Not since I was a teenager have I “consistently got 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.”
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#44]

Not since I was a teenager have I “consistently got 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.”
View Quote

That will fuck with your health, your ability to grow and retain muscles and most importantly your ability to lose weight.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:21:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Have any of y'all had swelling of knees and feet/ankles?

Mine swoll up yesterday. I read I might need more potassium so I took one and also a magnesium pill.

Mostly back to normal now.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#46]

That will fuck with your health, your ability to grow and retain muscles and most importantly your ability to lose weight.
View All Quotes

There’s a big difference between frequently getting poor sleep and not “consistently getting 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.”

I’d wager less than 1% of working adults over the age of 25 “consistently get 7-8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#47]
According to my Garmin, getting close to 8 hours during the week.

A little less on the weekends.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:33:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GordonFreeman1] [#48]
Wow,

Did not know this thread existed. Been on carnivore for about 4 weeks and love it. First week was an interesting adjustment but now everything is smooth sailing. First two weeks I lost 7lbs in 13 days. Currently at 15.2% body fat according to my biometric scale.

Diet:

Breakfast:

6 farm eggs
3 strips of bacon
1/4 cup of shredded cheese

1st lunch

0.5 - 0.7lbs of ground beef
1/8 cup shredded cheese

2nd lunch
0.5lbs of ground beef
1/8 cup shredded cheese

3pm
2 scoops of gold standard whey w/ 32oz of water

Dinner:
2 grilled chicken breasts or 1 16oz ribeye or 2 smoked salmon filets.

Heavy weight lifting 4 days a week and 2 days of intense cardio and circuit training. Very happy with the results so far. Better sleep, cutting weight, etc. Only downside is muscles appear smaller due to the lack of carbs and water retention but I have leaned out quite a bit already.

Any input for changes would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

I've slept so much better since I cut down on carbs.  It's amazing.  I don't even need to get up and pee in the middle of the  night anymore either.  Unsure if there is a correlation on that subject though.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I am retired and don't live as active life as I did for the 30 years I worked.  Last December my doctor told me that I had pre diabetes and needed to lose weigh and cut out the carbs.

I stopped eating foods high in sugar, along with grains, like in breads and pasta.  No potatoes or rice.

I continued to eat fruits and vegetables with carbs in them but avoided the really high ones like bananas, oranges or mangoes.

Ate plenty of meat and diary stuff.

I bought a Fitbit and started to measure the calories I burned each day.  Tried to make sure I consumed less calories than I burned each day.  It wasn't hard to do if I exercised a little bit.  Fitbit is not perfect but it can give a ballpark estimate.

I have lost 40 pounds and my A1C and blood glucose levels are fine.  Never went to bed hungry.

I need to continue to keep the calories below my burn rate or else I will just gain back the weight.  The Fitbit helps me keep track.  The doctor said I have enough leeway in the numbers so that I can ease up on the carbs a little bit providing I don't go overboard, like having a dessert, potatoes or pasta every once in awhile.  

I can live with that.  Better than being diabetic.  The doctor was right back in December when he told me that Type II diabetes was a self inflicted disease.

Page / 36
Top Top