Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 32
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#1]
I do not know if NASA has revealed who will go up on Crew-9.  Someone already called it but the Russian should go to make up their complement of people.  Then the female commander will go.

As to when things will happen Starliner has to depart prior to Crew-9 arriving.  I will assume that Starliner will depart and be clear of the station...and possible back on Earth...prior to Crew-9 launching.

Emergency departure of Butch and Suni would be on the Crew-8 Dragon, although I do not know the specifics.  They would not have Dragon IVA suits unless there is one onboard the ISS  (There is one spare IVA suit on the ISS).  Perhaps they get strapped to the cargo pallet area below the four main seats.

Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Chokey:
Scott Manley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvaSRfpW5iY
View Quote

Can we get a welfare check on thunderf00t?
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 1:59:42 PM EDT
[#3]
So what are the long term health risks on these 2 that have been trapped up there? The long term exposure to radiation and weightlessness.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:17:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 1-75Ranger:
So what are the long term health risks on these 2 that have been trapped up there? The long term exposure to radiation and weightlessness.
View Quote

Nothing not already known.

Sunni has damn near a year of flight time already.

They are as safe as any other ISS crew.
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/27/2024 10:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:20:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I do not have the source and it may have been before the press conference last Saturday but I did see a 6 September 2024 undocking or return date for the uncrewed Starliner.
Link Posted: 8/29/2024 12:27:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
I do not have the source and it may have been before the press conference last Saturday but I did see a 6 September 2024 undocking or return date for the uncrewed Starliner.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/30/2024 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Starliner return from ISS set for Sept. 6

"Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner will depart from the International Space Station Sept. 6, ending a three-month flight that saw the spacecraft unable to demonstrate its ability to safely return astronauts from orbit.

NASA announced Aug. 29 that the agency and Boeing completed a readiness review for the upcoming uncrewed departure of Starliner. That review confirmed plans for bringing the spacecraft back to Earth from the ISS.

Those plans call for Starliner to undock from the station at 6:04 p.m. Eastern Sept. 6. It will move away from the station and then perform a deorbit burn, setting up a landing at White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico at 12:03 a.m. Eastern Sept. 7, or six hours after undocking."
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 10:55:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#11]

Crew-9 change confirmed, relating to the uncrewed Starliner CFT return.

"NASA astronaut Nick Hague and Roscosmos cosmonaut Aleksandr Gorbunov will launch no earlier than Tuesday, Sept. 24, on the agency’s SpaceX Crew-9 mission to the International Space Station. NASA astronauts Zena Cardman and Stephanie Wilson, previously announced as crewmates, are eligible for reassignment on a future mission."
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 2:44:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CleverNickname] [#12]
So between Sep 6 when Starliner leaves and Sep 25 when Dragon Crew-9 arrives, it sounds like there won't be enough lifeboat seats available to leave the ISS if something went wrong.  Am I reading that right?
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 3:23:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CleverNickname:
So between Sep 6 when Starliner leaves and Sep 25 when Dragon Crew-9 arrives, it sounds like there won't be enough lifeboat seats available to leave the ISS if something went wrong.  Am I reading that right?
View Quote

Crew 8's Dragon has space for them, just no seats installed so they'd just be laying on the floor in the cargo area. I don't know if Space X has ever tested the configuration with more than 4 on board.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Starliner return from ISS set for Sept. 6

"Boeing’s CST-100 Starliner will depart from the International Space Station Sept. 6, ending a three-month flight that saw the spacecraft unable to demonstrate its ability to safely return astronauts from orbit.

NASA announced Aug. 29 that the agency and Boeing completed a readiness review for the upcoming uncrewed departure of Starliner. That review confirmed plans for bringing the spacecraft back to Earth from the ISS.

Those plans call for Starliner to undock from the station at 6:04 p.m. Eastern Sept. 6. It will move away from the station and then perform a deorbit burn, setting up a landing at White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico at 12:03 a.m. Eastern Sept. 7, or six hours after undocking."
View Quote

So I guessed I missed it some where but I thought they had earlier said Starliner could not come back with out the crew because they had removed the ability to have it operate "remotely" with no crew on board.

The "remote" software was not loaded before they left or some such excuse. I presume they spent all this time 'downloading' the necessary software?
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#15]
The prior Crew-9 Commander, Zena Cardman (female) has never flow in space.  Hague, the new Commander of Crew-9 has been in space twice...once to the ISS.

Cardman either was or was not qualified to be commander.  Apparently she was only qualified when a white male was beside her.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
So, will the Starliner Capsule...

Fail to re-enter Earth's atmosphere and become another hunk of space junk?

Have the door fall off mid flight?

Burn up in an uncontrolled re-entry?

Crash into an apartment building, killing 6?

Successfully return to Earth?
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 7:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#17]
Originally Posted By Thuban:

View Quote

We won't know until we know. Though personally I'm expecting that it will hit near it's target but onboard telemetry will reveal it to be a very unpleasant ride.

The plan is to land at the White Sands Range. Theres a lot of empty space there and around there to reduce the risk of it center punching an apartment complex or some poor schmucks home.
Link Posted: 8/30/2024 8:04:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Crew 8's Dragon has space for them, just no seats installed so they'd just be laying on the floor in the cargo area. I don't know if Space X has ever tested the configuration with more than 4 on board.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Would they have suits?

Link Posted: 8/31/2024 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#19]
NASA Sets Coverage for Starliner News Conference, Return to Earth

"Ahead of Starliner’s return, NASA will host a pre-departure news conference at 12 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 4, from the agency’s Johnson Space Center in Houston. NASA’s Commercial Crew and International Space Station Program managers and a flight director will participate."
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Cpt_Kirks:
Would they have suits?

View Quote

There is one extra SpaceX suit on the ISS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 10:20:22 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

And that suit fits one of the Starliner astronauts, but NASA has not said which one. The other would ride down in their Boeing suit but with no way to pressurize it should Dragon experience any issues.

Link Posted: 8/31/2024 10:26:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

And that suit fits one of the Starliner astronauts, but NASA has not said which one. The other would ride down in their Boeing suit but with no way to pressurize it should Dragon experience any issues.

View Quote

That is insane.

The most dangerous part of spaceflight is the return home...
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

I think the suit was for Tracy Caldwell-Dyson who came up on the Soyuz.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

That's crazy talk around here
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

That is insane.

View All Quotes

That is insane.

STS-51L and Apollo1 would like to have a word.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 11:05:00 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Station transfer hardware is packed in special soft side luggage, the bigger ones are called M Bags I can't remember all the designations for the different sizes. There's a special foam that's used for packing these bags custom cut for everything to provide protection during launch.

They're going to build a couple nests out of this foam and tape that's kicking around up there for makeshift seats on the cargo deck plate and probably use a cargo strap for a seat belt. This is the emergency evacuate lifeboat plan till Crew9 shows up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:30:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#27]
Originally Posted By crownvic96:
View Quote

The CCCP had a crew die on reentry, the capsule depressurized.  Soyuz 11
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:36:16 PM EDT
[#28]
View All Quotes

That is insane.

With who? Apollo 13, STS-107 or the Starliner?
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Unless I misread an article weeks ago, the suit fits both of them.   That suggests that it is a XXL or XXXXL suit.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Unless I misread an article weeks ago, the suit fits both of them.   That suggests that it is a XXL or XXXXL suit.
View Quote

Now I have the mental image of obese astronauts.
Link Posted: 8/31/2024 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:18:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Plumber576] [#32]
So Starliner is haunted??
Click for video/audio.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Plumber576:
Click for video/audio.
View Quote

There was this scary space movie.

Event Horizon
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Click for video/audio.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2024 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#35]
The prior Crew-9 Commander, Zena Cardman (female) has never flow in space.  Hague, the new Commander of Crew-9 has been in space twice...once to the ISS.

Cardman either was or was not qualified to be commander.  Apparently she was only qualified when a white male was beside her.
View Quote

Interesting observation, rest assured this will be memory-holed in the news.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Boeing, NASA execs had heated arguments about bringing stranded astronauts home on Starliner

"Boeing and NASA executives fought in tense meetings over how to bring home the two astronauts stranded at the International Space Station in the days after announcing the pair was stuck in space, according to The New York Post.

The outlet reported Friday that sources at both Boeing and NASA confirmed the high-level meetings between the two organizations descended into arguments and yelling over whether to bring the astronauts home on the troubled Boeing Starliner that brought them to the ISS on its first crewed mission."
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Click for video/audio.
View Quote

It's them dang boefang boys.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 1:37:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Event Horizon
View Quote

Originally Posted By Hadrian:

View Quote

Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

View Quote

Arstechnica/Eric Berger report on the noise
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 3:58:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RiverSwine45] [#39]

View All Quotes

Event Horizon

Originally Posted By Hadrian:

Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

Without knowing the state of power up on the ship there's no real way of knowing the source here. All we know is Starliner is picking up the signal and they can hear it in on the speaker. Station is old and they've been letting payloads and experiments go up there with COTS hardware for a long time. It could be as simple as an experiment warning tripped and Starliner is picking up the alarm somehow. Doesn't necessarily mean Starliner has an issue.
Link Posted: 9/1/2024 4:11:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#40]

From the article:

"It was heated," a NASA executive familiar with the talks told the Post. "Boeing was convinced that the Starliner was in good enough condition to bring the astronauts home, and NASA disagreed. Strongly disagreed. The thinking around here was that Boeing was being wildly irresponsible."
Ultimately, NASA decided Saturday to tap Elon Musk's SpaceX — Boeing's main space rival — to shuttle the astronauts home early next year on a SpaceX Crew-9 Dragon mission. Starliner will make an uncrewed return.

"Boeing wasn’t happy" with that decision, the NASA executive told the Post. "And they made that perfectly clear to us. But what’s the headline if there’s a catastrophic failure? It’s not ‘Boeing killed two astronauts,’ it’s ‘NASA killed two astronauts.’ So no, it’s better safe than sorry."

Meanwhile, the feeling at Boeing is that the successful return of Starliner will show that NASA was being overly cautious, but the commercial space team at the aerospace giant is demoralized, Boeing employees told the Post.

Boeing did not respond to multiple requests from FOX Business for comment on the report.

NASA said in a statement to FOX Business that it "is focused on the safe return of the uncrewed Boeing Starliner spacecraft from the International Space Station. The agency previously discussed the need for the open exchange of viewpoints as a necessary aspect of a healthy safety culture."

NASA's decision not to bring the astronauts home on Starliner represents the latest in a string of embarrassing incidents involving Boeing, which has fallen under increased scrutiny since a door plug flew off one of its aircraft midair during an Alaska Airlines flight in January.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#41]

NASA Statement on the Starliner pulsing noise:

“A pulsing sound from a speaker in Boeing’s  Starliner spacecraft heard by NASA astronaut Butch Wilmore aboard the  International Space Station has stopped. The feedback from the speaker was the result of an audio configuration between the space station and Starliner. The space  station audio system is complex, allowing multiple spacecraft and  modules to be interconnected, and it is common to experience noise and  feedback. The crew is asked to contact mission control when they hear sounds originating in the comm system. The speaker  feedback Wilmore reported has no technical impact to the crew,  Starliner, or station operations, including Starliner’s uncrewed  undocking from the station no earlier than Friday,  Sept. 6.”
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

We won't know until we know. Though personally I'm expecting that it will hit near it's target but onboard telemetry will reveal it to be a very unpleasant ride.

The plan is to land at the White Sands Range. Theres a lot of empty space there and around there to reduce the risk of it center punching an apartment complex or some poor schmucks home.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Originally Posted By Thuban:

I'm taking enter atmo at a fucked up angle and burn to a cinder in this pool.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 12:24:59 PM EDT
[#43]
NASA response on the Starliner noise:

"“A pulsing sound from a speaker in Boeing’s  Starliner spacecraft heard by NASA astronaut Butch Wilmore aboard the  International Space Station has stopped. The feedback from the speaker was the result of an audio configuration between the space station and Starliner. The space  station audio system is complex, allowing multiple spacecraft and  modules to be interconnected, and it is common to experience noise and  feedback."
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By sbhaven:
"Boeing wasn’t happy" with that decision, the NASA executive told the Post. "And they made that perfectly clear to us. But what’s the headline if there’s a catastrophic failure? It’s not ‘Boeing killed two astronauts,’ it’s ‘NASA killed two astronauts.’ So no, it’s better safe than sorry."
View Quote

This confirms that the nasa decisions are no longer being made only on technical merit.  

PR and politics has entered the chat - guarantee there were .gov discussions about what impact the death of two astronauts would have on the election.  Nothing nasa says about how/why they made their decisions on this matter can be taken at face value anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#45]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

This confirms that the nasa decisions are no longer being made only on technical merit.  

PR and politics has entered the chat - guarantee there were .gov discussions about what impact the death of two astronauts would have on the election.  Nothing nasa says about how/why they made their decisions on this matter can be taken at face value anymore.  
View Quote

The entire time they were seemingly hiding information or using made up excuses for the delay.  In my opinion, they were stalling to find some way to bring back two people on the Starliner.

I never saw them discuss the other two options:

1)  Dedicated rescue/Uber flight on a Crew Dragon.

2)  Bring them back on the Crew-8 capsule after delivering chairs and suits on the Crew-9 capsule.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes

You are correct. It was political.
Link Posted: 9/2/2024 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#47]

The entire time they were seemingly hiding information or using made up excuses for the delay.  In my opinion, they were stalling to find some way to bring back two people on the Starliner.

2)  Bring them back on the Crew-8 capsule after delivering chairs and suits on the Crew-9 capsule.
View All Quotes

I could be wrong here, but I doubt they are trained on dragon at all, so will have to be passengers on the later return flight
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:43:31 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I don't believe this is a new thing.  At the end of the day they are a government agency that needs taxpayer money, so they have to play the game to some extent...at least at the higher levels.  I guess the question in my mind would be how much have decisions shifted from "technical" to "political".

I'm not saying I agree with it....just acknowledging it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By fox2008:

I don't believe this is a new thing.  At the end of the day they are a government agency that needs taxpayer money, so they have to play the game to some extent...at least at the higher levels.  I guess the question in my mind would be how much have decisions shifted from "technical" to "political".

I'm not saying I agree with it....just acknowledging it.
View Quote

Yep.

After Apollo 11, NASA has pretty much had to go begging for funding, and Congress has taken full advantage of this by turning space programs into jobs programs. The second launch tower for Artemis was mandated by Congress, for example.
Link Posted: 9/3/2024 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 32
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top