BCM
User Panel

Fallout Amazon series (Page 4 of 35)
Page / 35
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DK-Prof:

You should watch the "Many a True Nerd" youtube videos on why Fallout 3 is not as bad as you think.  I thought they were fascinating videos, and really learned a lot of interesting stuff.

(His two-part similar video for Fallout 4 is also really interesting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8XHe2NoAE

View Quote

Fallout 3 was amazing.  The NPC interaction had real consequence.  The storyline options were great.

I really don’t understand the love of new Vegas.  It was so linear.  I play fallout for the “choose your own adventure” aspect.  Maybe I’ll just kill off an entire faction, maybe I won’t.  It’s my wasteland world in 3.  Not so much the other fallouts
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:12:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mooseless] [#2]
Also to add: what the games were about is completely irrelevant, because in the games you had agency. You decided how the story unfolded. If you wanted NCR to rule the wasteland, you could make it happen. Or you could march in those gates with your Pancor Jackhammer and blow holes in everyone’s chests. Whatever theme the devs started with, the story was always yours to tell. And they were smart enough to realize that. They even gave you the different endings to prove it.

That is never true with a show or movie. You decide nothing, except whether or not you’ll watch it. Either way, it’s not your story, it’s theirs.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
i'll give it a shot.  i lost a year of my life to fallout/f2.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:

I played all of the games, from the very first release, at least a half dozen times each, probably more. I have thousands of hours in this franchise. I even played Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel (which didn’t nearly deserve the bad rap it got, it was insanely fun).

My view is that people who say things like “X is fine because they did it in the comic/game” (which often just means the woke was placed there years ago and they just didn’t realize it) are missing the point. When Ripley became the hero of Alien and Aliens, it wasn’t because Ridley Scott and James Cameron hated men. But that’s why Rey Skywalker was created. And Michael Burnham in ST: Discovery. And why they killed John Connor in Terminator: Dark Fate to replace her with a charmless Mexican girl. And…

It doesn’t matter what happened in a game made twenty-five years ago. We don’t live in that world anymore. No Hollywood type makes a project about privilege in the 2020s without realizing what they’re talking about. Could it be done right. Anything is possible. But that is not the smart way to bet.
View Quote

Fair enough.  We'll have to see how it plays out. A lot of folks like to get triggered by the word "privilege" even when it's a good way to describe the circumstances.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Also to add: what the games were about is completely irrelevant, because in the games you had agency. You decided how the story unfolded. If you wanted NCR to rule the wasteland, you could make it happen. Or you could march in those gates with your Pancor Jackhammer and blow holes in everyone’s chests. Whatever theme the devs started with, the story was always yours to tell. And they were smart enough to realize that. They even gave you the different endings to prove it.

That is never true with a show or movie. You decide nothing, except whether or not you’ll watch it. Either way, it’s not your story, it’s theirs.
View Quote

I find shows/movies harder and harder to watch unless it’s educational. I don’t know if it’s TikTok brain (I don’t have social media but you get the point) or interactive entertainment is 100x better
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

Which is another reason why open ended video games are poor choices to adapt into fixed media like TV or movies.

Much of what creates all the love fans have for a video game comes from the personal experience of playing it, not necessarily the actual story behind it. The act of playing the game interactively and making choices, even minor ones, endear the characters and their plight to a player far deeper than a passive experience like watching a show in my opinion.

Repeating that or replicating it with a fixed storyline is impossible. The best they can hope for is to include enough of the background world building and inside baseball nods to keep the uberfans interested if the actual plot turns out to be a wet fart on a dry towel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:17:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Tiberius:

She learns that Vault-Tec lied to her, everyone she knows, and Fed them a diet of bullshit all their lives?
100% consistent with lore. Vault-Tec was Nazi level evil.. she’s lucky she was even born, not to mention lived to adulthood as a lab-rat.
View Quote

Sure. But that is not a story about privilege. That’s about the lies those who rule us tell, and how little we mean to them.

In fact, that story is the opposite of privilege. The vault dwellers aren’t privileged, they’re lab rats.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:21:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#8]
I’ve played Fallout for a total of like three hours so I don’t know the story, but I looks cool.

Hopefully I can follow along.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sputnik556:
I’ve played Fallout for a total of like three hours so I don’t know the story, but I looks cool.

Hopefully I can follow along.
View Quote

Technically there is no over-arching connective story to the Fallout games outside of "world ends in nuclear war, some people go into vaults for centuries then emerge into a hostile world full of mutants, raiders, ghouls, and robots."

I think folks expecting to see any specific Fallout game's story retold are probably going to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:

Which is another reason why open ended video games are poor choices to adapt into fixed media like TV or movies.

Much of what creates all the love fans have for a video game comes from the personal experience of playing it, not necessarily the actual story behind it. The act of playing the game interactively and making choices, even minor ones, endear the characters and their plight to a player far deeper than a passive experience like watching a show in my opinion.

Repeating that or replicating it with a fixed storyline is impossible. The best they can hope for is to include enough of the background world building and inside baseball nods to keep the uberfans interested if the actual plot turns out to be a wet fart on a dry towel.
View Quote

Man, I couldn’t agree more.

In fact, as much as I’m a fan of things, I’ve come to generally dislike fanservice in spin-off properties. I’m still flabbergasted by the Khan reveal in ST: Into Darkness. How on earth did anyone think that would work?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Technically there is no over-arching connective story to the Fallout games outside of "world ends in nuclear war, some people go into vaults for centuries then emerge into a hostile world full of mutants, raiders, ghouls, and robots."

I think folks expecting to see any specific Fallout game's story retold are probably going to be disappointed.
View Quote

I listened to a couple of fallout nerd podcasts and I remember one of them saying that it's not tied to any of the games but it exists in the same universe and is canon.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Get a Belgian Malinois for the end of times.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:38:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TurtlesAlltheWayDown:
Fallout 3 was amazing.  The NPC interaction had real consequence.  The storyline options were great.

I really don’t understand the love of new Vegas.  It was so linear.  I play fallout for the “choose your own adventure” aspect.  Maybe I’ll just kill off an entire faction, maybe I won’t.  It’s my wasteland world in 3.  Not so much the other fallouts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I find shows/movies harder and harder to watch unless it’s educational. I don’t know if it’s TikTok brain (I don’t have social media but you get the point) or interactive entertainment is 100x better

I still watch plenty of entertainment, but broadly I agree completely. Something generally has only a few minutes to catch my interest or I’ll move on. I think TikTok brain is a big part of it, but it’s also that there’s much more great quality stuff out there, especially now that we have access to foreign shows. Why waste time on the mediocre? Hell, I’d rather just put on an episode of a show I watched before.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Brutus_15:

The Boys is woke as all hell .
View Quote
Like woke as all fuck.  It's nothing but scumbag pervert libs projecting their filth onto conservatives.  Fucking HATE that show with a passion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 8:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]

I really don't understand the love of new Vegas.  It was so linear.  I play fallout for the "choose your own adventure" aspect.  Maybe I'll just kill off an entire faction, maybe I won't.  It's my wasteland world in 3.  Not so much the other fallouts
View All Quotes

You should watch the "Many a True Nerd" youtube videos on why Fallout 3 is not as bad as you think.  I thought they were fascinating videos, and really learned a lot of interesting stuff.

I really don't understand the love of new Vegas.  It was so linear.  I play fallout for the "choose your own adventure" aspect.  Maybe I'll just kill off an entire faction, maybe I won't.  It's my wasteland world in 3.  Not so much the other fallouts
Are you sure you didn't switch your games up by accident?

Fallout 3 wasn't as bad as some make it out to be, and nuking Megaton was always a great start, but there really wasn't much difference in how the main story ends.
New Vegas had the most amount of variance in the endings so I don't see how it can be claimed to be linear.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:21:39 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

NV is well regarded mostly because of who made it.  Obsidian is made up of old interplay/black isle guys.  And if anyone is going to know how to make fallout good, its the guys that did it originally.  Properly modded, bethesda makes ok games, but they never quite got the feel for what black isle created

all of them are linear.  but in NV and 4 they decided to throw in 4 ending paths instead of letting the player decide things organically.  I guess thats 'replay value'

As far as the series goes, it will all boil down to how they handle the brotherhood.  Lore and canon gets so contradictory the more they try to shoehorn in, so the only baseline we'll have is how the BoS get depicted- saviors of the wasteland, or technology hoarding xenophobic assholes.  
I'm hoping for the latter but not holding my breath
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:32:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Veccio:

Fallout 3 wasn't as bad as some make it out to be, and nuking Megaton was always a great start, but there really wasn't much difference in how the main story ends.
New Vegas had the most amount of variance in the endings so I don't see how it can be claimed to be linear.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Veccio:

yeah

In 3 whether you play the good karma savior, or the bad karma psycho, you'll still help three dog, you'll still join lyons, you'll still turn on the purifier, and you'll still destroy the enclave.  yay.  Sure as an evil character you can poison the purifier, but in the end its still you and prime taking out the enclave.

I'm still not crazy about NV or 4s 'if you continue past this point, these 3 other factions are gonna hate you for it'.  I'd much prefer it if you just ran your quests and never knew quite when everyone started to hate you (or hell how did they even find out about it?)
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#19]
Based on the trailers, power armor move too quickly.  Looks like I could be wearing chinese stealth armor and walk around in power armor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Um ... no, its not completely irrelevant.

It establishes a setting, the way the world works, the tone, what's possible, and even in the games you follow a storyline.

If someone tells you it's a fallout (whatever) but it's not post apoc or apoc, there's no combat, no intrigue, or any of the other things that define fallout ... is it fallout? If you can even answer that question, that means there's content there.

Now, yes, amazon could theoretically tell an uber woke story and have it be in the fallout universe. IF they kept the woke from overriding the setting.

... and by and large most people wouldn't like it because it'd be preachy, clumsily written, and the protagonist would be the bad guy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MisterPX:
Based on the trailers, power armor move too quickly.  Looks like I could be wearing chinese stealth armor and walk around in power armor.
View Quote

One of the clips released shows the power armor also apparently can fly now like Iron Man with wrist thrusters, and land like it weighs as light as a feather.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:54:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By FlashMan-7k:

Um ... no, its not completely irrelevant.

It establishes a setting, the way the world works, the tone, what's possible, and even in the games you follow a storyline.

If someone tells you it's a fallout (whatever) but it's not post apoc or apoc, there's no combat, no intrigue, or any of the other things that define fallout ... is it fallout? If you can even answer that question, that means there's content there.

Now, yes, amazon could theoretically tell an uber woke story and have it be in the fallout universe. IF they kept the woke from overriding the setting.

... and by and large most people wouldn't like it because it'd be preachy, clumsily written, and the protagonist would be the bad guy.
View Quote

I’m talking about theme, not setting. You can tell a hopeful story about the importance of friendship as easily in this setting as you can tell a despairing one about greed and betrayal. In fact, that’s specifically what the games allowed you to do and a big part of why they’re so deservedly praised on the narrative side. A lot of people are talking about the social commentary present in the games while missing that fact, that even the devs knew the right way to entertain was to allow the player the ultimate choice, even in a seemingly cynical world.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#24]
We probably also need to clarify what actually IS "woke" when it comes to an adaptation...

A female protagonist is not woke, but a female protagonist who is all powerful with no character arc is. It is good writing 101 to give your character an arc, which is usually presented as "introduce character, introduce problem, character must overcome problem through adversity and personal growth". The modern "woke" female character arc is always something like "female character is powerful but others try to deny her power, she becomes even more powerful by embracing her power". That is not an arc, that is a dot on a page. The character did not grow or change through adversity. They started strong and ended strong.

A story about class divisions, race, or gender are not inherently woke, but when those things are routinely harped on and made the focal point of everything in the story then it is woke. Typically these items are what is known as a catalyst, an element of the story that serves as a match to light the fuse of the -actual- story. They are the starting point, the story is the journey to the end point. But when these items become the story again it isn't a story, its a lecture. If the entire plot is basically established as "thing bad" and the whole story is just the characters constantly reminding us that "thing is indeed bad" that is boring and has no draw. The audience starts knowing the outcome because the outcome is telegraphed from the start.

Finally we come to the ultimate "woke" complaint, character recasting. If a new character is introduced that the audience has never seen before, they can be anything... black, white, gay, straight, you name it. That character is new and they are who they are, it is not "woke" for a story to have a black gay character if that is who the character is. What IS "woke" is if an already established character is suddenly recast or remodeled to fit some new race, gender, or sexual orientation check box. If everyone knows a character is, was, and has always been a straight white guy for that character to suddenly be a black woman is jarring and can even be detrimental to the story. Changing who a character is fundamentally changes the character. Which indirectly changes elements of, and sometimes even the entire jist of the story. There is never a decent reason to change who characters are in adaptations, because the characters are who they are. They are established. If you want a story about a dinosaur park gone amok but you want Dr. Grant to be a trans asian person with a fake leg, you really need to write your own story and not change Michael Crichton's.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#25]
A snip from Forbes:

Fallout is a huge gamble for Amazon, a sprawling, expensive series that must simultaneously create a brand new story in the video game's world, while pleasing longtime fans of that world. Plus, drawing in new eyes to make it a truly massive hit.

I am happy to report that as a game, as a fan of the series, I thought it was excellent. I've seen all eight episodes and my appreciation for the series only grew in time. The trailers made it look like they just might manage to pull it off, and I think they did.
View Quote

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/04/10/fallout-review-amazon-prime-video-i-have-some-good-news/?sh=2153edc35d5b

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#26]
We probably also need to clarify what actually IS "woke" when it comes to an adaptation...

A female protagonist is not woke, but a female protagonist who is all powerful with no character arc is. It is good writing 101 to give your character an arc, which is usually presented as "introduce character, introduce problem, character must overcome problem through adversity and personal growth". The modern "woke" female character arc is always something like "female character is powerful but others try to deny her power, she becomes even more powerful by embracing her power". That is not an arc, that is a dot on a page. The character did not grow or change through adversity. They started strong and ended strong.

A story about class divisions, race, or gender are not inherently woke, but when those things are routinely harped on and made the focal point of everything in the story then it is woke. Typically these items are what is known as a catalyst, an element of the story that serves as a match to light the fuse of the -actual- story. They are the starting point, the story is the journey to the end point. But when these items become the story again it isn't a story, its a lecture. If the entire plot is basically established as "thing bad" and the whole story is just the characters constantly reminding us that "thing is indeed bad" that is boring and has no draw. The audience starts knowing the outcome because the outcome is telegraphed from the start.

Finally we come to the ultimate "woke" complaint, character recasting. If a new character is introduced that the audience has never seen before, they can be anything... black, white, gay, straight, you name it. That character is new and they are who they are, it is not "woke" for a story to have a black gay character if that is who the character is. What IS "woke" is if an already established character is suddenly recast or remodeled to fit some new race, gender, or sexual orientation check box. If everyone knows a character is, was, and has always been a straight white guy for that character to suddenly be a black woman is jarring and can even be detrimental to the story. Changing who a character is fundamentally changes the character. Which indirectly changes elements of, and sometimes even the entire jist of the story. There is never a decent reason to change who characters are in adaptations, because the characters are who they are. They are established. If you want a story about a dinosaur park gone amok but you want Dr. Grant to be a trans asian person with a fake leg, you really need to write your own story and not change Michael Crichton's.
View Quote

Best post in this thread. I award you 10 internets.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:30:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wineraner] [#27]

Power armor in Fallout 4 could be built with a jet pack, so that's not new.  Granted, the whole wrist thruster thing is not in Fallout 4, but that seems like a minor change, given that the concept of jets assisted jumping and very brief "flight" in power armor is already canon.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Short_Trooper:
Originally Posted By MisterPX:

One of the clips released shows the power armor also apparently can fly now like Iron Man with wrist thrusters, and land like it weighs as light as a feather.

Power armor in Fallout 4 could be built with a jet pack, so that's not new.  Granted, the whole wrist thruster thing is not in Fallout 4, but that seems like a minor change, given that the concept of jets assisted jumping and very brief "flight" in power armor is already canon.

Mr. Handys and Gutsy levitate through thrusters.  Eyebots just float.  Why not allow Power Armor to do it too?  It's not like Fallout science is terribly consistent.

Agreed, Arclight's primer on narrative and what is woke, is really good.  

As to critics liking this, I have no idea who the Forbes writer is.  The guy could very well be a fan from the very beginning of the series and we could swap stories about how allowing Ian a SMG usually ended badly.  Or he's full of shit, a la the Buscemi with a skateboard meme.  Or something in between.

Tell me that a critic like Yahtzee, someone I am familiar with, liked the adaptation, and it carries a lot more weight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm a long time Fallout player since the beginning

With Nolan in charge, I remain cautiously optimistic.

*fingers crossed*
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:43:55 PM EDT
[#29]
A few more hours then we all get to find out.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
View Quote

Oh it's not actually out yet. I came here expecting reviews.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Ads = not a chance in hell I’ll watch it. Amazon can go get fucked. They are dead to me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:59:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By TheTallest:

Oh it's not actually out yet. I came here expecting reviews.
View Quote

6pm Pacific time
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fuzzy03cls] [#33]
A series or movie? If series, all dropping at once or week by week?
Do I need to known anything about the video games to follow? Cause I don't.
Amazon has ad's now, so yes it will have ad's.

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#34]
I have no expectations but I hope it's at least good enough to pull in some normies and encourage Bethesda to hurry up on their next single player Fallout game.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:35:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:

Series of 8 episodes, that appear to all be dropping in one lump.

Do I need to known anything about the video games to follow? Cause I don't.

Any writers worth their ass should present the show in a way that both people who have played the games as well as newcomers will be able to understand what is going on. To what degree they lean into the inside jokes and referential bits is to be seen, but expect to not "get" some of the contextual cues if you haven't played the games.

Amazon has ad's now, so yes it will have ad's.

There are ways around that... mostly that involve sailing the high seas.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I haven’t watched much on Amazon recently. Are they still just doing 15 second ads before each episode?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:45:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Explorer225:
Boyd Crowder done went and lost his nose. I'm all kinda giddy with anticipation.
View Quote

He's quite the Ghoul
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:
I can’t wait for Rings of Power post apocalyptic edition.  They are pretty safely going to fuck this up.  It’s what they do.

View Quote

You didn't like the Galadriel/ Sauron love story?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 6:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#39]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:12:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#40]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#41]
no mentin of "overencumbered and cant run on" first page?!

neeeeewwwwwbbbbbs

or more like just casuals???!
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Amazon sent me an email saying it’s now airing.

It’s not anywhere to be found.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By -OdieGreen-:
Amazon sent me an email saying it’s now airing.

It’s not anywhere to be found.
View Quote

6pm PST.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Might check it out.  Boyd's nose sure looks fucked up in the ad I saw
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:18:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah it also says now available if you accidentally watch the trailer thinking its a show.  Motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:19:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Supposed to air 6 pm west coast time, so not quite time in the east?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
View Quote
Not quite. I'm a bit fucked since I agreed to wait until my wife's night off to watch it.

So I get to avoid as much potential spoiler as I can for a few days.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#48]
is it today Weds at 9pm EST?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Almost time, I am psyched.  Wife is cautiously optimistic.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:54:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By armoredsaint:
is it today Weds at 9pm EST?
View Quote
Yes sir
Page / 35
Fallout Amazon series (Page 4 of 35)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top