User Panel

Page / 5
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
New Vegas, no contest.

You’ve got Joshua Graham, Benny, The Great Khans.

What does Fallout 4 have? Piper? Cait? A bunch of robots on a ship?
View Quote

Synth Curie in her bra and panties
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The only thing FO4 has on NV is graphics. NV between story, characters, needing to repair weapons and gear blows F04 out of the water.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:23:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#3]
1. New Vegas had the kind of lone gunman, westernish feel and starts with getting bushwhacked and shot in the noggin.  Fallout4 wants you to save a bunch of fucking animated toasters.  Advantage: New Vegas

2. Side quests in fallout4 (except for the retardo minuteman missions) were better than New Vegas. Advantage: Fallout4

3. Opponents/factions: slaver legion and NCR?  ‘Nuff said. Advantage New Vegas

4. Ending?  Both are honestly a little disappointing.

5. More fun to try with different builds?  Advantage: New Vegas

6. Companions? Advantage: Fallout4

7. Locations?  I travelled all over Boston with my son, looking for locations where I killed shit and got fat loot. Advantage: Fallout

8. Extras? Being able to build shit and collect a hundred sets of power armor is fun in FO4, but not worth the stupid minuteman missions.  No advantage

Overall? New Vegas

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
Vegas has a better story by miles but 4 has more freedom and more fun gameplay. I choose 4.
View Quote

This, but I choose both.  They are both great games. Have you played the Horizon mod for F4?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By deadmau5er:
New Vegas by miles.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
The only thing FO4 has on NV is graphics.
View Quote
I hate them too.
There may be higher visual fidelity on a technical level, but it doesn't matter if the game world's bland and many of the models look like shit. A decent amount of weapons are obnoxiously ugly and it made me not even want to use them, like the assault rifle. It looks like something willy Wonka designed while he was on a bender.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
I hate them too.
There may be higher visual fidelity on a technical level, but it doesn't matter if the game world's bland and many of the models look like shit. A decent amount of weapons are obnoxiously ugly and it made me not even want to use them, like the assault rifle. It looks like something willy Wonka designed while he was on a bender.

https://i.imgur.com/JhAK2vb.jpeg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
Originally Posted By sierra-def:
The only thing FO4 has on NV is graphics.
I hate them too.

https://i.imgur.com/JhAK2vb.jpeg

Weapon design has been consistently weird for the entire franchise.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:

Weapon design has been consistently weird for the entire franchise.
View Quote
I can point to bad examples in the other games, sure, but four is just awful to me. Even the scale feels off on some of them. Particularly in VR, the 10mm pistol feels cartoonishly large. It's subjective, and it's low on the list of reasons I don't like the game, but it's still on the list, none the less.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Vegas has way better stories, character development, mechanics, and pretty much everything else that matters.

4 has better graphics, and "feels" better to play. That's about it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#10]
New Vegas and it isn't close

Shame that the writer Avellone got cancelled and his career nearly ruined for flirting with some crazed feminist.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:48:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackfriar] [#11]
I loved 4 and poured 100's of hours into it, but New Vegas is and will always be #1 for me.
I replay NV at least once a year and despite the dated graphics and bugs I love it.

I'd give my left nut for a New Vegas remake with FO4's graphics (yeah I know you PC master racers got something in the works--i mean for us console peasants).

ETA: I really want a grenade throwing mechanic in 3 and NV similar to 4's.  With the old style of having grenades be their own weapon slot in NewVegas I hardly ever used them. In FO4 with it just being a tap of the upper right bumper I'm always like "frag out!!".
I actually put points into explosives to add damage and get the throwing arc, which is something I never put points into in 3 or NV since I don't use grenades and I only use the Fatman for laughs.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Why did you leave the top 3 Fallouts out of the poll?

1 > 3 > 2 > 4 > New Vegas

Fallout 76 doesn’t even deserve a mention; even if the mechanics are working better now, nobody wants an MMO fallout.

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 1:54:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By jvmcd:

Fallout 76 doesn’t even deserve a mention; even if the mechanics are working better now, nobody wants an MMO fallout.

View Quote

A good Fallout MMO would be amazing.

76 just isn't good at all.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:15:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: southerncross] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:19:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The DLC for New Vegas was superb. That they were all interlinked into a larger story was very well done. The DLC for 4 was alright but didn't add anything major story wise.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#16]
I voted FO4 because I never played the earlier FO games. I really enjoyed playing FO4 and base building or just running through Boston wrecking stuff.

Originally Posted By AndyandKevinsux:

Your (male) player character was a veteran of the Alaskan campaign, in the pre-great war military. If anyone had any sort of power armor training… Its probably him.
View Quote

I was going to say this.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

I'll never buy a multi-player Fallout game.
They can try to pawn that shit off on the younger crowd then.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:41:16 PM EDT
[#18]
The only thing 4 has going for it over NV is better/ updated graphics.  Everything else is better in NV.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Fallout 4
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
I have never played them, but I did just buy all of them on steam for a great discount. Friends of mine played all the way back to fallout 3. I'll probably start some soon. I still have assassins creed and cyberpunk to play though.
View Quote

I don’t know if Fallout is the official video game franchise of ARFCOM, but it’s definitely in the top 3.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:36:15 PM EDT
[#21]
The first dance at my wedding was to "In the Shadow of the Valley".
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:49:46 PM EDT
[#22]
New Vegas may be the best game, ever. High water mark for the art form.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#23]
I wish Obsidian would do more.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#24]
New Vegas by a mile as it actually feels like a Fallout game.

Fallout 4 sucked imo

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TaskForce:
View Quote

They did that Fallout clone The Outer Worlds a few years back.

It wasn't terrible, and you can usually find it pretty cheap now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 6:58:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#26]
View Quote

I don't think the people that made FNV are with Obsidian anymore.  If we are going to dream about Bethesda letting another studio make the next Fallout game, I want it to be Larian.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JsARCLIGHT:

They did that Fallout clone The Outer Worlds a few years back.

It wasn't terrible, and you can usually find it pretty cheap now.
View Quote

I actually forgot something. Obsidian DID want to make another Fallout game but BGS didn't want them to. I think it's obvious BGS didn't want to be outshined with their own IP again. Shameful really.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:53:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: justsayin] [#29]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Unfair comparison, and really the core of the matter is just that we need to let the devs go nuts in the FO4 engine like they did for FO2 and NV.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TaskForce] [#31]
The Outer Worlds was OK. Waiting for the sequel.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:55:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#34]
If we are comparing them in the context of what they were like when they were released then I think the win goes to New Vegas.
New Vegas released about 14 years ago while Fallout 4 was about 9 years ago.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Veccio:
If we are comparing them in the context of what they were like when they were released then I think the win goes to New Vegas.
New Vegas released about 14 years ago while Fallout 4 was about 9 years ago.
View Quote

If I compared them with no context I would still say NV was better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#36]

View All Quotes

Fallout 76 doesn't even deserve a mention; even if the mechanics are working better now, nobody wants an MMO fallout.

At release, 76 was a complete dumpster fire. They have made many updates to it and it's a lot better now, but there is still a real lack of anything to do end game once you have a good build with good gear.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#37]
At release, 76 was a complete dumpster fire. They have made many updates to it and it's a lot better now, but there is still a real lack of anything to do end game once you have a good build with good gear.
View Quote

I think it being live service and always online is still a big problem. For a Fallout game.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
Vegas has a better story by miles but 4 has more freedom and more fun gameplay. I choose 4.
View Quote

Agreed. Both are a ton of fun and repeat playable
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#40]

I mean… Those things you listed ARE pretty sick
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TheTallest:
New Vegas, no contest.

You’ve got Joshua Graham, Benny, The Great Khans.

What does Fallout 4 have?Piper? Cait? A bunch of robots on a ship?

I mean… Those things you listed ARE pretty sick

Well yeah, but still NV is better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd say New Vegas. It's really good. Although it has some of the usual issues with that type of game, mostly that it gets extremely easy the further along you go...and that's even on the hard mode setting where you need to eat drink and sleep. Around level 15 is when it became noticeable too me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:27:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Robertpistol:
I'd say New Vegas. It's really good. Although it has some of the usual issues with that type of game, mostly that it gets extremely easy the further along you go...and that's even on the hard mode setting where you need to eat drink and sleep. Around level 15 is when it became noticeable too me.
View Quote

It's the power fantasy. They want the player to feel like a mega badass after a bit of building.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#43]

I don't think the people that made FNV are with Obsidian anymore.  If we are going to dream about Bethesda letting another studio make the next Fallout game, I want it to be Larian.
View All Quotes

I don't think Bethesda will ever allow that again unless Microsoft steps in and forces them to do so. Bethesda got beat in one of their own IPs by a dev company that made NV in a fairly short amount of time, I think some of them took it a bit hard. I don't think it's a coincidence that the new show seems to be stepping on or retconning quite a few thing that the previous studios established as canon lore in the West.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't think Bethesda will ever allow that again unless Microsoft steps in and forces them to do so. Bethesda got beat in one of their own IPs by a dev company that made NV in a fairly short amount of time, I think some of them took it a bit hard. I don't think it's a coincidence that the new show seems to be stepping on or retconning quite a few thing that the previous studios established as canon lore in the West.
View Quote

I used to like Todd Howard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes

Did you notice what the last shot was of S1 (or one of the last shots)?

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#46]
4 was the buggiest, most crashing game I’ve ever tried to play. Even with stability mods it’ll crash all the time, sometimes within seconds of loading.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#47]

It's the power fantasy. They want the player to feel like a mega badass after a bit of building.
View All Quotes

I know a lot of people enjoy that and more power too them! It just makes it boring for me though when most enemies can be 1 shotted.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:55:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
4 was the buggiest, most crashing game I’ve ever tried to play. Even with stability mods it’ll crash all the time, sometimes within seconds of loading.
View Quote

My experience was fine on xbox one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:56:12 PM EDT
[#49]

I know a lot of people enjoy that and more power too them! It just makes it boring for me though when most enemies can be 1 shotted.
View Quote

Agreed. You need to play Elden Ring if you haven't.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:57:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Echd] [#50]
My complaint about the power armor in 4 was that it needed depleting fuel to run and it did not require your character to actually have any training in how to use it.

Historically power armor was locked behind training and availability as it was a major force multiplier. Removing the training and creating basically a gameplay timer by using fuel cells was kind of goofy as you end up finding so many fuel cells it negates the restriction anyway.
View All Quotes
My complaint about the power armor in 4 was that it needed depleting fuel to run and it did not require your character to actually have any training in how to use it.

Historically power armor was locked behind training and availability as it was a major force multiplier. Removing the training and creating basically a gameplay timer by using fuel cells was kind of goofy as you end up finding so many fuel cells it negates the restriction anyway.

Pretty sure your guy was a military veteran, wasn't he? It's been a while but being pre war one can assume his exposure came from that.

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

I like Nick Valentine.

Nick was great but I was not a fan of Far Harbor. 4 dropped the ball with DLC whereas NV knocked it out of the park (Sierra madre is definitely polarizing of course)
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top