Page / 17
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:57:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MADMAXXX:
Electrician trade.
Industrial work.

View Quote

Working 60 hour weeks, this is a ~$55/hr base rate.

That's over 200% of the average hourly rate in Indiana for Master industrial electricians as of 17APR2024 (Per Google, though indeed has a slightly higher number published, but its a lot closer to the Google number than $55).

Someone is leaving out details and it's not me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:33:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

That's over 200% of the average hourly rate in Indiana for Master industrial electricians as of 17APR2024 (Per Google, though indeed has a slightly higher number published, but its a lot closer to the Google number than $55).

View Quote
60 hour work weeks are for slackers, real OT is where the money is made.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By runcible:
No, you just have to be unable to grasp basic math.
Once you understand mathematics, the unsustainable nature of our current position becomes frighteningly clear.
Whether it's the economy, demographic trends, birth rates... basic math says we're doomed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runcible:
Originally Posted By CoconutLaCroix:
You have to be living in a thick bubble to not realize how fucked America is.
No, you just have to be unable to grasp basic math.
Once you understand mathematics, the unsustainable nature of our current position becomes frighteningly clear.
Whether it's the economy, demographic trends, birth rates... basic math says we're doomed.

Many boomers on this forum can see the writing on the wall, but they also understand the decline of any empire happens slowly over time. By the time we reach critical mass with white people becoming a minority, serious debasement of the currency, and low birth rates increasingly plugged with immigration they will be gone.

I've seen many posts stating "ill be gone anyway", "I got mine and am comfortable", and "its there fault they voted for it".

If your a boomer who gives a shit about young white conservative's trying to follow the path of there fathers and grandfathers, this doesn't apply to you.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:46:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

Get a room mate and a cheaper apartment? Fuck. $1600 is a downtown two bedroom apartment in the 7th largest city in the US.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By himajin1:

That’s nice and all, but unless he can come up with say 1600 a month for rent, he’s stuck living with his parents until he can. I wonder if people really understand just how fucked everything is for anyone that doesn’t have theirs already.

Can do all the back breaking work he wants but if it doesn’t cover living expenses, then what?

Get a room mate and a cheaper apartment? Fuck. $1600 is a downtown two bedroom apartment in the 7th largest city in the US.

Lol, $1600 is barely a one bedroom in the suburbs where you're least likely to get robbed/killed/shot
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Denwad:
I'm 34 36 and I don't see a future either , and I'm pretty set. I fear for my daughter, her siblings and their future kids.

View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

Lol, $1600 is barely a one bedroom in the suburbs where you're least likely to get robbed/killed/shot
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:
Originally Posted By himajin1:

That’s nice and all, but unless he can come up with say 1600 a month for rent, he’s stuck living with his parents until he can. I wonder if people really understand just how fucked everything is for anyone that doesn’t have theirs already.

Can do all the back breaking work he wants but if it doesn’t cover living expenses, then what?

What's the individual cost to two room mates in a two bedroom?  I've never paid over $1k as a single guy with no room mates.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

So the solution your offering to get ahead is work 90-100 hr/weeks (as you claimed in another post) for wages?

Because most of the guys i know who did this in the oilfields ended up divorced or single with no social life. Did you have a family when you did this and how many years did you work these 90-100 hr/weeks?

I worked 120 hr/weeks so does that make you a slacker for only working 90-100 hr/weeks? What were you doing with those extra 20 hours a week, being a slacker?

The optimal solution is to start a business where you provide a product that scales, and eventually can detach from your time. Very rarely will people find jobs that pay wages that put them into the top tax brackets and generate serious wealth.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By arfreak223:
So the solution your offering to get ahead is work 90-100 hr/weeks (as you claimed in another post) for wages?

Because most of the guys i know who did this in the oilfields ended up divorced or single with no social life. Did you have a family when you did this and how many years did you work these 90-100 hr/weeks?

I worked 120 hr/weeks so does that make you a slacker for only working 90-100 hr/weeks? What were you doing with those extra 20 hours a week, being a slacker?

The optimal solution is to start a business where you provide a product that scales, and eventually can detach from your time. Very rarely will people find jobs that pay wages that put them into the top tax brackets and generate serious wealth.
View Quote

I too want a society where everyone owns a scalable business that one person can reasonable run.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:39:48 PM EDT
[#9]
In before working 187 hours per week
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#10]

I too want a society where everyone owns a scalable business that one person can reasonable run.
View All Quotes

I never said I wanted or it would be possible for "everyone to own scalable business that one person can reasonable run". Society will always be structured where most people will work jobs for others, this was specifically in the context of people who want to get ahead as mentioned in my opening sentence. Maybe we have different definitions of what getting ahead means, no spite intended.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
In college I lived in the finished basement of a house of D1 cheerleader teammates of my now wife. Beds coming through ceiling every night
View Quote
dear pleasure gournal...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

What do you need a family for? We already have your replacements lining up in the parking lot at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:17:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I never said I wanted or it would be possible for "everyone to own scalable business that one person can reasonable run". Society will always be structured where most people will work jobs for others, this was specifically in the context of people who want to get ahead as mentioned in my opening sentence. Maybe we have different definitions of what getting ahead means, no spite intended.

View Quote

I'm not even trying to get ahead, I'm trying to have the red numbers get smaller each month. I keep getting raises but my insurance and utility bills keep going up more than the amount of my raises. And that's before I go to the grocery store.

And now I'm supposedly getting a promotion but because of how things are right now I'm less than 50% confident it's going to happen and my reassurance that I don't have anything to worry about can be replaced, without warning, with "ain't drilling up there anymore, Texas is overstaffed, good luck with the bills you already couldnt afford"
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By StampCollector87:

Same
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StampCollector87:
Originally Posted By Denwad:
I'm 34 36 and I don't see a future either , and I'm pretty set. I fear for my daughter, her siblings and their future kids.

Same

Same
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

It's possible to work a lot to get starting capital for a business. That's still getting ahead.  I understand this forum isn't structured for nuance.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#16]

It's possible to work a lot to get starting capital for a business. That's still getting ahead.  I understand this forum isn't structured for nuance.
View Quote
I agree, but that is not what the user i was replying to was saying.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm not even trying to get ahead, I'm trying to have the red numbers get smaller each month. I keep getting raises but my insurance and utility bills keep going up more than the amount of my raises. And that's before I go to the grocery store.

And now I'm supposedly getting a promotion but because of how things are right now I'm less than 50% confident it's going to happen and my reassurance that I don't have anything to worry about can be replaced, without warning, with "ain't drilling up there anymore, Texas is overstaffed, good luck with the bills you already couldnt afford"
View All Quotes

I feel ya, I'm seeing similar things happen around me too. I also used to work in the oilfields and it's a super unstable industry. If you want to trade strategies/thoughts about a young persons best path forward I'm down. I posted a few pages back about my individual situation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#18]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
Wrong…on every point.

Millies and zekes are extremely liberal, far more so than X, boomies and Silents:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_1719-3043370.jpg

and they vote in record numbers for…wait for it…democrats.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_4620-3121434.png
And were the ones who decided oRAnGe_MAn- not good enough, let’s vote for Biden:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18716/IMG_5896-3158266.jpg
So they’re voting for the politicians that are causing the problems they bitch about.

They are the largest voting demographic and have been for a few elections now.
View Quote

Impressive. Very nice.

Now, do every year of your adult life before 2020. Who was the biggest voting block ever in the history of "denocracy" before that?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:15:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#20]
Fact is, out of the last 300,000 years humans have existed, the average person ( anyone not very wealthy / royalty ) worked back breaking work sunrise to sunset, and  rarely if ever had a day off, they damn sure didn’t have leisure, vacations, lazy days,  etc. much less lazy months, taking time off to find themselves, etc. it’s only been the last approx 100 years or so that children had the luxury of being children, able to play and enjoy life without having jobs / full time chores as well. Even the current state of affairs of high taxes, low wages and expensive houses is still something 99% of the planet can only dream of as it’s literally heaven to them.

The comments about wasting your life working / working for a employer / even having a option of siting around without full time work / responsibilities / retiring to enjoy life is a very, very recent ability, and it will soon probably vanish at the rate successful modern societies are being pissed away via bad decisions, laziness , apathy, ( or stolen by the elites wanting to roll back the clock to royalty / peasants lifestyles ) and flooding those same societies with illiterate third worlders who’s own countries never evolved beyond 24/7/365 struggles to survive, drinking ditch water, etc.

Sure things suck now for a lot of people, especially the younger ones, but, look on the bright side, today is actually the good old days of milk and honey, compared to what’s in our near future.

So, enjoy it, you don’t have shit to bitch about yet, as “ suck hasn’t arrived yet “, but it will soon , and soon you will have plenty to bitch about .

I can’t afford a decent 4 bedroom  house !  turns to, my families living in a dumpster hiding from my enemies.

Pizza has tripled in price ! Turns to, it’s been ages since if eaten a big rat, why are they all so small these days ?

My boss asked me to work 2 hours of overtime this sat ! Turns to, commissar Biden threatened to have me shot if I showed up late a second time for my 18 hour shift at tractor factory # 17.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Impressive. Very nice.

Now, do every year of your adult life before 2020. Who was the biggest voting block ever in the history of "denocracy" before that?
View Quote
there it is.gif
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:31:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: arfreak223] [#22]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:
Fact is, out of the last 300,000 years humans have existed, the average person ( anyone not very wealthy / royalty ) worked back breaking work sunrise to sunset, and  rarely if ever had a day off, they damn sure didn't have leisure, vacations, lazy days,  etc. much less lazy months, taking time off to find themselves, etc. it's only been the last approx 100 years or so that children had the luxury of being children, able to play and enjoy life without having jobs / full time chores as well. Even the current state of affairs of high taxes, low wages and expensive houses is still something 99% of the planet can only dream of as it's literally heaven to them.

The comments about wasting your life working / working for a employer / even having a option of siting around without full time work / responsibilities / retiring to enjoy life is a very, very recent ability, and it will soon probably vanish at the rate successful modern societies are being pissed away via bad decisions, laziness , apathy, ( or stolen by the elites wanting to roll back the clock to royalty / peasants lifestyles ) and flooding those same societies with illiterate third worlders who's own countries never evolved beyond 24/7/365 struggles to survive, drinking ditch water, etc.
View Quote
So because young people don't have to work in coal mines or fight off wild animals anymore so we should be happy to have a front row seat to watching our society decline?

I agree its going to get much worse and its largely due to the woke element in our country. I know your a prepper buck, I'm doing the same.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:04:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#23]
Conditioned to be lazy (except when they do it it’s called working smarter not harder), been told their whole lives that they’re special (when they’re not), and holding the central and defining belief that no problem in their life is actually their fault.

Perfect recipe for success.

They’re pissed off because their whole life is a lie that they made up for themselves… and they’re still blaming everyone but themselves.

The notion that millenials are special and that their situation is due to unique circumstances is the same as the foundation of woke nonsense,
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:10:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BigBurkeyBoy:

This is me to a T.

I feel I'm set enough to be ok, but my fears and worries are entirely for my family. My wife, my kids, and their kids yet unborn. I haven't had a worry for my own well-being in years at this point. I'm fine, I'm a man, and even if shit isn't fine, I can take it because see point number 2. I can live in a hole in the ground and eat fucking squirrels for all I give a fuck.

But my family is a different story.

Everyone refuses to believe there's any problems because they have theirs but all I can think about is what kind of country my kids will grow up in and how they're horribly fucked unless there's a radical reorganization of govt and society at this point.

I dread that revolution is their only hope of having anything worth a fuck. I fear that they'll grow up spitting and cursing my name for not doing more, at a time when many would likely look back and say it would have been easier to do so.
View Quote

This country has always been one generation away from complete and udder destruction .

This is not new .

Things are bad now but they've been worse before .

Sacrifice for and teach your children to be productive no matter what their peers say and do
and they will be as good as possible.

Tomorrow is not guaranteed for anyone.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
It is not a good time to be starting out.
View Quote

It was never a good time to be starting out .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:14:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Speedwinder:

This

You hear about the pissed off underachievers, but you don't hear so much about the ones making the right moves to achieve wealth and an exceptional life.

Most older people didn't start wealthy and privileged with a nice house. They earned it slowly over many years.

I think the younger generations will be fine, but it will take hard work and time.
View Quote

Not if they give up before they start .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
They don't "see" a future becuase they have been taught that everybody deserves everything at all times, with no effort needed or required to get everything they have been taught they "deserve".  

You have to WORK for YOUR FUTURE...IT IS NOT HANDED TO YOU.  

This is the inevitable end to the path that started with not keeping score at little league games.
View Quote

They won't figure it out until the government they vote for makes everybody equally poor .

The more they embrace the left the worse it will get, but hey ,they'll have all the same things their friends have .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

Never did such a thing, none of my friends did either. Take your generalization and shove it.
View Quote

Yet voter statistics say the younger a voter is the more likely they are to vote left .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:30:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By bad2006z71:

This. 41. I think I might make a little more than both my parents when they were working but that ain't saying much for a HS diploma only.
Only thing I can do, is make sure my kids get a degree in something like engineering and try to teach them good finances that I was never taught.
View Quote

To much emphasis has been put on college degrees .

The trades are in a vacuum and the right ones are making bank .
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By gmtech:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:
It is not a good time to be starting out.

So there was no difference for a young American couple starting out during the great depression vs the 1990's? Wild.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Wrong…on every point.

Millies and zekes are extremely liberal, far more so than X, boomies and Silents:

And were the ones who decided oRAnGe_MAn- not good enough, let’s vote for Biden:
So they’re voting for the politicians that are causing the problems they bitch about.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By @nomad07 : young people don't vote...why u think every libshit propaganda apparatus has been aimed at getting the youth vote for last 70 years? and it fails almost everytime...

you know who fucks you with their vote? DOminion, illegals, seniors and the fucking suburban karen....
Wrong…on every point.

I love charts that show as though every demographic votes the same. Funny how reality works.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Too much emphasis has been put on college degrees .
View Quote

I saw this back in the 90s... When they gave some moron (me ) that never finished high school an acceptance letter and money to go to college I knew it was all fucked.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#33]
I didn't see much of a future for myself in my twenties.  That nihilism served me well, until it didn't any more.  Somewhere along the line I became exactly the future I wanted enough to work to create.  

"No future, no future for you.... I'm pissed.  Destroy." -  Johnny Rotten
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:24:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DayandNight1701] [#34]

View Quote
OT is for lazy pussies.  Work straight commission or Flat-rate; that's life on nightmare mode.  I wonder if the oil fields went to commission based pay, how that would work out?

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone over 22 likely voted it.  With passion.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#36]

You know why the world wasn't scary back then?  

You weren't aware. Any generations childhood is "the best" simply because they didn't know how bad things really were at the time.
View Quote

I wish I didn’t know now, what I didn’t know then.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Yet they continue to vote Democrat.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By jeepnstein:
I didn't see much of a future for myself in my twenties.  That nihilism served me well, until it didn't any more.  Somewhere along the line I became exactly the future I wanted enough to work to create.  

"No future, no future for you.... I'm pissed.  Destroy." -  Johnny Rotten
View Quote

USA was still better in your 20s. I wish boomers would stop this shit and just flat out admit they don't give a fuck about the rest of us. Fuck yours, got mine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

Which ones are the right ones?

Be specific. Try not to fuck this question up as bad as the last guy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:37:11 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#41]

Most customers won't pay more for punctual, polite, and detail oriented. Society gets the contractors they deserve.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PORK_REAP3R:
Hate MSNBC, but that dude is correct. There are a number of dynamics at play here. One, you can't inject trillions of dollars into the economy and expect good results, period. Two, if you're young, you should overwhelmingly be voting for pro business, anti-bureaucracy candidates.

Three, there has never been more opportunity than now for young Americans. Look, I'm pretty well off at 38 yrs old, I have money to spend with contractors on home improvements, construction, landscaping, etc. I constantly run into inadequate, incompetent contractors for things like plumbing, electricians, carpenters, etc. These industries are ripe for the taking for somebody that is squared away, good at what they do, and honest and hardworking. If you are young and reading this, start your own business in the trades, become skilled, and dominate. Be punctual, polite, and detail oriented and you will absolutely make a fucking killing today. Your peers are goddamn worthless in these areas, be the exception to the rule. This is the way, and it is simple.

Most customers won't pay more for punctual, polite, and detail oriented. Society gets the contractors they deserve.

I said jack and shit about paying more for anything. My point was, the current lot of contractors in the trades are fucking terrible at almost everything. It's VERY rare to find one that is skilled, communicates well, and takes customer service seriously. It really is that simple to excel against your peers in this day and age, it's fucking pathetic how low the bar is, yet I still can't find competent contractors.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:56:14 PM EDT
[#42]

This. Anyone telling young guys to go be a tradie and be "punctual, polite, and detail oriented youll make bank blah blah" should actually just shut the fuck up forever.
View Quote

How little you fucking know. Owning a trade business now is a goddamn gold mine if you are all the things I said you should be. But what the fuck do I know? I only own 10 of the things in my avatar....
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:58:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Still waiting for sniffing unclaimed property (female underwear) to be classified as a trade. Looking for a union president when the time is right.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KillerDyller:
Buying your first house would suck big time ass right now/thread
View Quote

My wife’s oldest son just purchased his first house in Albuquerque @ slightly more than 7% interest IIRC.  That’s the APR I was stuck with when I purchased my house in 1998..

I think the boy paid $20,000.00 down, and his payments are around $2,500.00/mo.  

Expensive?  I think so, but he saved his money and built up his business and here he is.  House is on the west side, fully remodeled inside and in a nice neighborhood.  

Opportunities are still out there if you want to be successful badly enough.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:19:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By USMCTanker:

My wife’s oldest son just purchased his first house in Albuquerque @ slightly more than 7% interest IIRC.  That’s the APR I was stuck with when I purchased my house in 1998..

I think the boy paid $20,000.00 down, and his payments are around $2,500.00/mo.  

Expensive?  I think so, but he saved his money and built up his business and here he is.  House is on the west side, fully remodeled inside and in a nice neighborhood.  

Opportunities are still out there if you want to be successful badly enough.  

View Quote

Biden's chosen don't give a fuck... learn to swim
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:27:02 PM EDT
[#46]

I said jack and shit about paying more for anything. My point was, the current lot of contractors in the trades are fucking terrible at almost everything. It's VERY rare to find one that is skilled, communicates well, and takes customer service seriously. It really is that simple to excel against your peers in this day and age, it's fucking pathetic how low the bar is, yet I still can't find competent contractors.
View Quote

The ones that do all that stuff shittily are still too booked up to work on my house immediately, the ones that do them well don't cost more when they eventually can.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:30:53 PM EDT
[#47]

How little you fucking know. Owning a trade business now is a goddamn gold mine if you are all the things I said you should be. But what the fuck do I know? I only own 10 of the things in my avatar....
View Quote

What kind of trade business do you own?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

This. Anyone telling young guys to go be a tradie and be "punctual, polite, and detail oriented youll make bank blah blah" should actually just shut the fuck up forever.

Apparently, you’ve been working more than posting.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:42:13 PM EDT
[#49]

What kind of trade business do you own?
View Quote

Aviation, it's niche.

It's besides the point. The point is this, you can choose to be a W2 earner or 1099 in this world. The difference comes down to your risk aversion and work ethic. Intelligence and education plays a part, yes, but isn't everything. I know a lot of very smart people that never had the balls to be their own boss and go 1099 and I also know people with half the IQ but took risks and make magnitudes more than the smart guys make.

In this society, putting in the work to learn a trade and own a business is a golden ticket right now. The world doesn't need anymore cubicle W2 earners, so if you want to make it big, you have to go against the pack, accept the risk and do what others can't or won't. You're either a killer in the business world, or a sheep, there is no in between.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:49:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By snakes19:

I was making more money 10 years ago in my early 30s than I am now in my early 40s and I am talking about raw dollars not even taking into account inflation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By snakes19:
Originally Posted By Danus_ex:
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
years from now you'll look back and realize 2024 was the salad days.

*evil laughter*

This. I also have another message from the white collar abyss: don't assume that a good start leads to a strong finish.

I have many friends whose parents said all the optimistic stuff I'm reading on here like "my kid has a degree, a good job, a likely spouse, and they're working toward their down payment. Everyone else's kids must be weak-willed losers!" And that was 20 years ago when shit was easier.

Today? Let's take a sample of people I've known since college. Al's a master machinist but hates every second of it. Paul, Ben, and Alex left their tenured professorships because academia sucks. Kyle, Allison, and Danielle left medicine after going through all the MD and residency rigamarole because medicine sucks worse than a junior IC role at a tech firm. Other Paul, Colin, Andy, and Jon are the smartest of us with huge credentials, and yet are strangely the least employed currently. Matt, Chris, Tyler, and Nick have done decently well in software but have knowingly sat at the terminus of their careers ("principal engineer") for the past 5 years with no clue what to do for the next 25.

That's for those who've survived. Eric? Surprise heart failure. Dave? Colon cancer. Nate? More heart failure. Austin? Unexpected fentanyl. Tom? Glioblastoma. Death digs ~40ish educated good people I guess.

Another pattern that's emerged is that people my age with a decent cash/investment pile usually haven't lived, they've earned and existed, planning to survive past retirement to tackle their life goals. Those who've checked things off their bucket list like buying a house or having children usually don't have money. The middle-aged person with both is exceptionally rare.

The darkest thing I've heard recently comes from a staff augmentation firm. They've had great difficulty selling their usual technology talent except for one category, something they call "youngsourcing". Essentially they find a kid out of college, give them six weeks of mentorship, and send them off into battle. The sales leader told me the offering isn't successful because of its price per se, but because of the young workers' tractability. Senior engineers have pesky opinions.

This labor market wants you skilled, not smart. Today's glut of job-seekers are mid-career and most of them had a great start, too!

I was making more money 10 years ago in my early 30s than I am now in my early 40s and I am talking about raw dollars not even taking into account inflation.
Same.  In auto body the industry completely caved to insurance companies and gave all our labor away.  That's why I went back to custom work which used to pay far less than collision.  Pays a out the same now.  I was just fortunate I invested well when the money was good so I'm debt free and don't need massive income.  Inflation sucks too obviously
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top