Originally Posted By 50cal:
Plain ol' accident
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JWnTN:
Seems to me, a vehicle collision is a poorly planned way to kill someone.
View Quote

The "accident" was so he would end up in the hospital so they could whack him there.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gatetraveller:
Why would the government go through the trouble to kill Patton and only fire MacArthur?
View Quote
MacArthur didn't rock the boat like Patton did. Patton was in a position where he was loved by the troops and could have easily won a presidency if he wanted to. Patton also had a lot of dangerous ideas to the extent that I could see not only the American establishment, but also our allies, wanting him out of the picture. He thought that we fought the wrong enemy.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Like many great Patriots killed by his own country's government
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:

The truck hitting his car did not kill him.  It put him in the hospital where he was murdered several days later.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
Originally Posted By tep0583:
Patton was politically inconvenient for the government. I'm sure we can all agree on that.

Patton was also VERY popular with his troops and the general public, in a time where a lot of his opinions were going to be in line with the concerns of the future.

I think plenty of politicians may have fantasized about killing him. I also think any of them with any sense would have been terrified at the prospect of the reaction, should it come out that the government assassinated him.

Also, the way in which he died was awfully random to be a reliable method of ridding themselves of Patton.

The truck hitting his car did not kill him.  It put him in the hospital where he was murdered several days later.

I was going to put that disclaimer in there.

My original answer still applies.

If that ever got out, they'd have thousands of angry WWII veterans ready to march on Washington. Probably more civilians. Likely several officers who served under him and went on to make the Army their career.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:09:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#6]
Apparently a blood clot to the lungs killed him after his paralysis.

So what was the assassination method?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Boom_Stick:
Apparently a blood clot to the lungs killed him after his paralysis.

So what was the assassination method?
View Quote

That blood clot was a known member of the comintern

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
he had some cool sidearms,
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Patton died because he had no seatbelt.  Simple as that.  Fairly minor crash but with no restraint he broke his neck.  That should be a warning to anyone riding in a vehicle.

As to the whacked conspiracy theories, saying the government wanted Patton out of the way, they could have sent him to the Pacific where the war was still raging.  He would have jumped at that chance.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:09:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:
Slightly surprised to see us gubmint leading

Some guys go 180 full retard, anything against bad man
libruhl. They do deserve 87% of the hate, but it's not like liberalism didn't fix (at least for a time) some real issues
View Quote

Name the things you THINK liberalism "fixed".
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:19:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By K30MuleLAR15:

The U.S. should not have helped the commies in the first place. That was Great Britain's bitch to deal with.

View Quote

Sun Tzu would have sold bullets to both sides.  As should have we.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Why would the government go through the trouble to kill Patton and only fire MacArthur?
View Quote
Patton was more popular and actually competent
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
MacArthur didn't rock the boat like Patton did. Patton was in a position where he was loved by the troops and could have easily won a presidency if he wanted to. Patton also had a lot of dangerous ideas to the extent that I could see not only the American establishment, but also our allies, wanting him out of the picture. He thought that we fought the wrong enemy.
View Quote

we did
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Plain 'ol accident.

I think very few people are familiar with Patton.  They think of George C. Scott.

Patton led tanks in WWI and when the pre WWII Cavalry leadership, such as MG Herr, more or less outlawed mechanization, Patton was totally willing, as one of America's foremost tank experts, to run like hell and cover his ass if there was career risk. He went back to horse cavalry until the coast was clear, his convictions be damned when OERs were on the line.

The idea that Patton would have thrown his career away pushing on the Russians is baloney. He was bought and paid for like all GOs and there was no need for controversy or assassination.  

Nine years prior to WWII, the man you think was America's maverick tank leader, a man who won the DSC in tanks, was a cavalry yes man, going with the program and spouting nonsense like

"Patton stated that the horse had to remain the focus of the cavalry, since only the horse could perform the traditional cavalry missions. Emphasizing the all-terrain capabilities of the horse, he further predicted that too heavy a reliance on machines would condemn 'the army which relies principally on them to disaster and defeat.'"
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rick-OShay:

Name the things you THINK liberalism "fixed".
View Quote

I'm allowed to be contrarian in my conspiracy thread damn it

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By LeeFred:
I used to be sceptical about Patton's death, but now that will get me indicted here in AZ.  
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:39:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I lean towards accident but wouldn't be surprised if it was the commies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Riply21:
View Quote
Patton was lucky to have some very talented generals under him.

I do think Patton was taken out for various reasons.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#20]
He became very outspoken about certain topics shortly before he was killed. He criticized the President and also the treatment of German POWs among other things. I think he was murdered. Another one that comes across as shady is Joseph McCarthy, the guy who did the so called Communist witch hunt trials in the 1950s, the claim is that he died from hepatitis, then they changed it to alcohol, even though he was never known to drink alcohol...soon after his death, the media did a about face and smeared him as over the top and that Communists didn't infiltrate the government.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Patton wasn’t a threat to anyone in the US government and he wasn’t going to engineer a fight with the Soviets.

He died in an accident.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:02:57 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

No kidding.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Exactly that. Patton may have wanted to, but the American public was sick of it all and wanted to go home.  Red on Blue would have been absolutely awful for both sides.

That said SMERSH trying to kill him doesn't sound totally out of whack. SMERSH killed lots of people.  Though what exactly were the Soviets worried a general in a rapidly demobilizing European army was going to be able to do, that would get in the way of the Soviets taking over Eastern Europe governments and making a serious run at the French, Italian, and eventually Greek ones?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
People who think the US was even remotely in any position to possibly attack Soviet forces in Europe show that they know little to nothing about the actual military situation at the time.

Exactly that. Patton may have wanted to, but the American public was sick of it all and wanted to go home.  Red on Blue would have been absolutely awful for both sides.

That said SMERSH trying to kill him doesn't sound totally out of whack. SMERSH killed lots of people.  Though what exactly were the Soviets worried a general in a rapidly demobilizing European army was going to be able to do, that would get in the way of the Soviets taking over Eastern Europe governments and making a serious run at the French, Italian, and eventually Greek ones?

The American public sentiment was certainly the leading blocker, and beyond that the battle plan in the event of a US/USSR clash in 1945 was to retreat to the Pyrenees.  The Russian Army was a horde by the time it took Germany, the US forces in Germany would have been overwhelmed.  Dropping atom bombs on occupied Europe wouldn't have been in the equation either.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:54:23 PM EDT
[#24]

The American public sentiment was certainly the leading blocker, and beyond that the battle plan in the event of a US/USSR clash in 1945 was to retreat to the Pyrenees.  The Russian Army was a horde by the time it took Germany, the US forces in Germany would have been overwhelmed.  Dropping atom bombs on occupied Europe wouldn't have been in the equation either.
View All Quotes
People who think the US was even remotely in any position to possibly attack Soviet forces in Europe show that they know little to nothing about the actual military situation at the time.

That would have been an interesting war, with combined American & Brit (and German?) ground forces, air power and logistics vs what Russia had.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
View Quote

If you think Patton didn’t rock the boat like MacAurthur I’m thinking you don’t know MacAurthur.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:49:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Shit Happens

put that on a tshirt
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Guntoter:
Patton died because he had no seatbelt.  Simple as that.  Fairly minor crash but with no restraint he broke his neck.  That should be a warning to anyone riding in a vehicle.

As to the whacked conspiracy theories, saying the government wanted Patton out of the way, they could have sent him to the Pacific where the war was still raging.  He would have jumped at that chance.
View Quote

No no no. WW2 had been completely over for more than 3 months by the time he died.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

Do you know who was more popular AND competent than Patton? Omar Bradley.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:32:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Naffenea:

That's why they murdered him too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#30]
The main reason we can't have nice things
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
Patton had some unorthodox views on both the Jews and the Germans that would make him "literally Hitler" if he lived today.

He also hated the Russians something fierce and wanted to push through from Berlin to Moscow.

If he was killed by the Government they most likely saw him as both too Hawkish and too popular domestically. A guy like that wouldn't be in favor of winding things down
View Quote

Ike wouldn't have had a problem firing him again.  And there wasn't any love lost between Patton and Bradley.

The public liked him because the press wrote about him, but he was not going to be the center of anything.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Patton was correct.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 13starsinax:
Patton was correct.
View Quote

Patton was an egomaniac idiot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#34]
A former neighbor of mine was French from Metz in the disputed border region. She fled the Nazis and found herself dancing at Folies Bergères cabaret in Paris. Swore to her last breath that Patton was assassinated. Prolly lap-danced for the OSS killers... Could tell some wild stories!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:44:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Patton
Forrestal
McCarthy
JFK

All anti communist.  All died suspiciously. Coincidence?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:28:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Worth a read, whether you agree or not.
https://badlands.substack.com/p/trump-jfk-patton-and-mccarthy
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I’m pretty sure Patton had a better grasp on the military situation at the time than anyone here today to make claim to know.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By curiomatic:

That would have been an interesting war, with combined American & Brit (and German?) ground forces, air power and logistics vs what Russia had.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By curiomatic:

That’s a fact, can you imagine Germany industry with access to the critical materials they needed, and than build some of the more reasonable “wonder” weapons? A reliable functioning ME262, TA152’s, Tiger II’s, reliable Panthers, STG44’s for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By mstennes:

That’s a fact, can you imagine Germany industry with access to the critical materials they needed, and than build some of the more reasonable “wonder” weapons? A reliable functioning ME262, TA152’s, Tiger II’s, reliable Panthers, STG44’s for everyone.
View Quote

"You won't get out till the end of the war, in nineteen hundred and seventy four"

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:59:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Who was the truck driver and what became of him?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:03:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
My grandpa went to his funeral.  Never said anything about any conspiracy.  That's just nonsense.
View Quote

That is funny, so did my grandpa. He told me back then, they thought Ike had him bumped off for not staying in his lane.

Nobody thought it was an "accident".
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:07:55 AM EDT
[#42]
I seem to recall Patton died from pneumonia developing from being paralyzed from a broken neck.
He also may of had some bone loss in his neck vertebra which is why even though the impact was not severe it was enough to snap his neck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By JWnTN:
Seems to me, a vehicle collision is a poorly planned way to kill someone.
View Quote

Try to keep up.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:

I agree in part and disagree in part

No doubt it has totally wrecked broad streaks of functional society. In many ways.

You can't deny certain victories though

But back to the point, did libs/communists kill Patton and perhaps the rest of the old world off with him
View Quote

What certain victories?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

Because MacArthur wasn't the threat MacArthur thought he was.

He failed miserably in the Philippines and everyone knew it.

He went native and his ego couldn't write the checks his hubris demanded.

He thought he could waltz into America and sweep everything, but again, he failed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 1:50:48 PM EDT
[#46]
I was told by a Patton that there was some suspect food, fruit iirc, that the general was fed the hastened his death. The family had internal issues going back to to CW1 at least. Similar to the Kennedys and how RFK jr is a pariah to the loons in his family. Admitting relationship is subjective to the mood of the day.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

He thought he could waltz into America and sweep everything, but again, he failed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Clarinath:

MacArthur helped make the peace with Japan after the war and did a good job as their military Governor.
Patton would have been a threat to the American political status quo after the war, although his views towards Russia were vindicated during the Korean war, maybe sooner.
One of his main antagonists in the American news media tried to apologize to his widow after the war.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Imagine if he was the general who became President rather than Eisenhower.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Patton's Death (Page 2 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top