Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I still really like the old Ranger size.  I wanted one, but found a 94 Mazda B3000 still on the dealer's lot in 95.  I raised the hood and every sticker on the engine said FOMOCO.  I did a little research and found out it was made in the same plant as the Ford Ranger, just rebadged as a Mazda.  I bought it and drove the snot out of it for four years.

During the time I owned it if O'Reilly's didn't have a part listing for the Mazda, I asked about the same part on the 94 Ford Ranger.  Yep, the parts fit and functioned just fine.  Still wish I had that truck, it was the perfect size.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Slufstuff:
I know it is not a revelation, but I noticed this current generation (not sure which exact year) Ranger XLT parked next to my 1998 Ranger XLT. I was struck by the size difference. The newer truck looks much bigger when next to my 98. I can easily reach into the bed of my Ranger, not so much on that current style. It seems as big as an F-150 from 1998. I am not knocking the new Ranger, I am sure it is nice, but in a considerably larger package.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312/98ranger_jpg-3197917.JPG
View Quote

Now do half ton trucks from the 1960 and 2020s. Comically different. All for safety but also lightened so we can get 20+ mpg.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Prae:
I miss those size Rangers.    Had a 93 Splash.      Been looking for another w/ a 4.0.   Almost impossible to find around here unless it's beat to hell.
View Quote

I daily drive a 94 4.0 5 speed nanual I bought new. Doing everything I can to maintain it. I've noticed same as OP...personally though I don't really like the new ones.

But anyways....mine has 180k I've put on it...hard miles although I have taken care of it and kept maintenance up. Lots of city stop and go, lots highway. TBH...the 4.0 is great, but I think the rest of the truck will fall apart around the motor.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:25:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By danco302:

Oh, you poor summer child

PS, can we wait till the end of page three before y'all tell him
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By danco302:
Originally Posted By Lion:

He?

She restored the truck which belonged to her grandmother.

Oh, you poor summer child

PS, can we wait till the end of page three before y'all tell him
Ok, did my homework.  Did not know.  IT does build some interesting cars though.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:27:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#5]
Here's my 2003 Ranger. It's as plain as plain can get. Two-wheel drive, four-cylinder, standard cab with bench seat and hand-crank windows. It does have non-functioning AC and a sliding rear window, though. It's a rough-riding sumabitch. Feels like a buckboard.

I paid $3,000 for it when I bought it in 2007. At the time, it had 122,000 miles on the odometer. Seventeen years later, the odometer now reads 128,000. Obviously, I don't use it much, but when I need to move something or haul some brush to the burn pile, it's sure handy to have.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:28:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LoBrau] [#6]
I miss my 2003 very much. It was a great truck.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gtdhw:

My dd ‘97 2.3 5spd

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/172459/IMG_1589_jpeg-3197948.JPG
View Quote

Mine is this color but regular bed. Paint peeling off of it. She has been a good one though....if holds together
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:36:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Neomonk21:

Exactly.  I heard somewhere that the new emission laws make it way more expensive to manufacture smaller trucks so they just made the trucks bigger to get around it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
It's because it's cheaper for the manufacturers to make the trucks bigger than it is to make them more fuel efficient

Exactly.  I heard somewhere that the new emission laws make it way more expensive to manufacture smaller trucks so they just made the trucks bigger to get around it.
Can anyone go into greater detail on this please?

When I say it sounds like BS what I mean is it sounds just like the type of BS the government would do.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Prae:
I miss those size Rangers.    Had a 93 Splash.      Been looking for another w/ a 4.0.   Almost impossible to find around here unless it's beat to hell.
View Quote

Ditto, been looking for either a ranger, taco, or GM of that size.

It’s fucking annoying that all you can get nowadays are essentially full-size trucks, or XL sized.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:27:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mnd:

The Maverick isn't small, but the bed height isn't outrageous.

My metric for light pickups is Datsun 620/720s though which are even smaller than the 90s Rangers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By p3590:
Originally Posted By mustb123:
Exactly why I bought a new Maverick last year. 4,000 pound tow rating, AWD, 4 doors and the Ecoboost motor that gets 30mpg. I don't need a huge truck to tow my little 17' flats boat here in flat Florida. 27.3k brand new.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126943/2DF2E86C-0FB2-44FD-97A3-7309CD9A719A-3197933.jpg

My wife has a 2024 Maverick.  My daughter has a 2002 Sport Trac and my son has 1994, 1996 and 1997 Rangers.

It's interesting to see the spread of size.

I think Ford nailed it with the Maverick.
I went on a road trip last year in a friend's new Maverick.  We had fun parking it next to late 90s rangers and S-10s, depending on the models involved the maverick was larger.

The Maverick isn't small, but the bed height isn't outrageous.

My metric for light pickups is Datsun 620/720s though which are even smaller than the 90s Rangers.

It's crazy, when the Ranger first came out it was a midsize truck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Slufstuff:
I know it is not a revelation, but I noticed this current generation (not sure which exact year) Ranger XLT parked next to my 1998 Ranger XLT. I was struck by the size difference. The newer truck looks much bigger when next to my 98. I can easily reach into the bed of my Ranger, not so much on that current style. It seems as big as an F-150 from 1998. I am not knocking the new Ranger, I am sure it is nice, but in a considerably larger package.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/312/98ranger_jpg-3197917.JPG
View Quote
the angle of the photo exacerbates this but yes its bigger. Bedsides (really beltlines) are higher on newer vehicles in part for crash safety standards, which raises the bedside. Also, it is nowhere near the size of an old F150. F150 has been 80" wide for 40+ years. New Ranger is somewhere around 74-75" which makes a big difference.

TLDR new ranger sits higher suspension wise and has higher bed sides.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:36:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky41] [#12]
My 2020 Ranger XLT 4x4, paid $30,000 for it brand new, August 2020, sticker was $33,000. Love this truck.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the new size because F-150s got too large.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By youngandfree:
Looks like a 4wd next to a 2wd.
View Quote

This. While the new ranger is bigger this comparison isn't exactly apples to apples.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Plasticseng:
The new Rangers are barely smaller than my 1990 F-150.  It's only a couple of inches smaller in every direction.
View Quote

Agreed.  I used to own a 1991 F-150 2wd, and when it was parked next to a new Ranger, it was shorter AND less tall than the new vehicle.

It's no secret that modern (post 2000) full-sized trucks have become HUGE compared to the older stuff.  In turn, the Ranger (and GM Colorado/Canyon) as "mid-sized" pickups have grown to fill the niche for something less.  

Unfortunately, it means a "mid-sized" pickup is still quite large by older standards.   (This is also why the Maverick, Ridgeline, and Santa Fe have caught on.  They seem to cater to the market segment that wants the old small-sized pickups found back in the 1970's to 1990's)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:

When I say it sounds like BS what I mean is it sounds just like the type of BS the government would do.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
Originally Posted By Rudukai13:
It's because it's cheaper for the manufacturers to make the trucks bigger than it is to make them more fuel efficient

Someone posted this a while back in a similar conversation.
The Chicken Conspiracy Robbing Americans of the Toyota Hilux
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:44:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#17]
One of my best friends in high school got his dad's 88 Ranger single cab 4cyl 5 speed when he got his license. His dad's rationale was it was too small and fit too few people for him to get into any trouble.

Of course we proceeded to load the bed with a picnic table, 4 or 5 of us in the bed, along with a case of beer and drove it several miles down US govt/Navy owned railroad track to deliver the picnic table to a remote lake that the tracks ran next to.

My friend then high centered it on the tracks trying to turn it around.

We had to walk out on the tracks, get a ride to a pay phone and call his parents.

Tow truck had to be called. The first tow truck got stuck on the tracks, requiring a second truck to free up the first.

They also had to notify the Navy of the situation on their tracks.

So much for staying out of trouble.

Eta I've had three OHV 4.0s in Explorers with one of them having neatly 390,000 miles and still running strong when sold. The vehicle will in fact fall apart around the engine. They're one of the most reliable little engines Ford ever built imo. We still have two, one 240k miles the other 110k miles, spare Explorers set up for hunting/camping.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like my 2020 Ranger, but it sits so high that my old ass can't climb up in the bed. I had to buy one of these folding ladders...which is AWESOME!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By VACaver:
I really like my 2020 Ranger, but it sits so high that my old ass can't climb up in the bed. I had to buy one of these folding ladders...which is AWESOME!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/100647/20240426_123648_jpg-3198455.JPG
View Quote

@VACaver

that's exactly what my wife needs to get in the bed of my truck. Where did you find that?
badass
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:07:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#20]

View Quote

How about when you have to load wide stuff in The bed? Does it interfere with any thing there on the side?

Legit, the one reason the Toyota is really used is that I can step into the truck front the ground, and pull up 7-10 50-65gal garbage cans every week.

Done it a few times with the 3/4-1 tons, but the bed height and heavy cans gets old fast.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#21]
People would be shocked if they actual looked up the numbers.

Newer trucks aren’t really much bigger than the old ones, they’re just taller and that makes them look huge. Most trucks have factory 6 inch lifts now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Someone posted this a while back in a similar conversation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMJsM--jmRA
View Quote
Thanks.

I actually watched that video because he talks so fast it was a pleasant delight to hear it and it was obvious when there was an announcement so I just skipped forward and for some reason the embedded video actually played after I was tapping forward a few clicks instead of sitting there and buffering, doing nothing and making me wish I had never been born.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:33:19 PM EDT
[#23]
I would love to have a 90s Ranger to DD

My dad had a 90s/early 2000 Mazda B3000 (I think that's it) and hit 330k before giving it to a cousin. It towed up to a 21ft ski boat and the V6 legitimately didn't feel underpowered towing.

Just looked it up. 154hp 180ft/lb. My current truck is a factory 500hp and 1200ft/lb and a payload near the towing capacity of that truck. Nuts
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm about to possibly make a deal (x plan price) on a new ranger for offroad and advanced towing packages. Anything I need to look out for?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Lots of vehicles like that.  

Our 2022 Corolla is the size of our Camry from the 90s.

Tacomas now are the size of the early Tundras.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
Now do Tacomas
View Quote

Here ya go, 1990 vs 2019Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:12:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By MattR:
I would love to have a 90s Ranger to DD

My dad had a 90s/early 2000 Mazda B3000 (I think that's it) and hit 330k before giving it to a cousin. It towed up to a 21ft ski boat and the V6 legitimately didn't feel underpowered towing.

Just looked it up. 154hp 180ft/lb. My current truck is a factory 500hp and 1200ft/lb and a payload near the towing capacity of that truck. Nuts
View Quote

Starting to look like all of the newer trucks are crap spy tech and EPA 10 year life cycle junk.
Too bad these old trucks rust out over time.
My thinking is the next decade is going to see Cuba style mechanics maintaining older vehicles just to provide basic transportation for mid to low income folks.

Hence why they want to kill fossil fuel.
Remove that option to limit freedom of movement.

Take notes from the current third world...were heading there quickly.
The faster men can adapt the longer they can survive.
Pre 2010 Toyota Siennas...older Rangers and F150s may well be highly prized vehicles in the next decade.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 2:56:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By slow3v:
the angle of the photo exacerbates this but yes its bigger. Bedsides (really beltlines) are higher on newer vehicles in part for crash safety standards, which raises the bedside. Also, it is nowhere near the size of an old F150. F150 has been 80" wide for 40+ years. New Ranger is somewhere around 74-75" which makes a big difference.

TLDR new ranger sits higher suspension wise and has higher bed sides.

View Quote

1998 Ranger is 187.5 inches long, 2024 is 210.6 inches long. Over 22 inches longer.
1998 Ranger is 70.3 inches wide, 2024 is 75.5 inches wide. Over 5 inches wider.
1998 Ranger is 64.9 inches high, 2024 is 74.4 inches high. 9 1/2 inches higher.
1998 Ranger weighs 3085 pounds curb weight, 2024 weighs 4,415 pounds. 1300 pounds heavier.

The new Rangers are not just a little bigger, they are substantially bigger in every measure.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: imq707s] [#29]
Look at the average obesity rate from back in 98, and now.  People are HUGE...they need bigger vehicles to carry them around.   Your average 300+ pound person isn't fitting in an 89' Ford Ranger.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:23:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By imq707s:
Look at the average obesity rate from back in 98, and now.  People are HUGE...they need bigger vehicles to carry them around.   Your average 300+ pound person isn't fitting in an 89' Ford Ranger.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Obesity_in_the_United_States.svg
View Quote

Not gonna lie. Most of the time when I see people here comment that the interior of the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, Ranger is too small, I just assume they're fat.

I'm tall and perfectly comfortable in my Frontier
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mancat:

Not gonna lie. Most of the time when I see people here comment that the interior of the Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, Ranger is too small, I just assume they're fat.

View Quote

I don't like cavernous interiors. Like the OBS Ford pickups of the 80s-90s, I don't care for the wide open space. My 2nd gen Ram isn't small, but the interior just has a more cozy feel to it. Can't really explain it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:33:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Look at any model of car that has been made since at least the 90s.  
Bigger is what people want, bigger means better crash ratings and more volume for features(10 airbags, electronics, storage, etc).  

I have a 2018 honda fit and it has more space for people than a 90s accord had.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:36:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I get it.

4th gen Tacoma is bigger than a 1st gen Tundra.

Proper small trucks are awesome.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:52:01 PM EDT
[#34]

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fc/Obesity_in_the_United_States.svg
View Quote

I bought a Dodge Dakota new in 1990 because I didn't fit very well in the smaller trucks,  midsized was perfect.

I love my 2019 Ranger as it's just about the same size as the midsize from 30 years ago.   I weighed 185 when I bought the Dakota,  I was just under 200 this morning,  then again I am 6'4".  It's not just the fatties some of us just aren't manlets.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

The old Rangers never had a ton of room. I’m fat but the real problem was front to back legroom and it got worse with the manual tranny. My friend had a Mazda version I couldn’t hardly shift because he put a tiny little cb radio on the left and I had to contort to use the clutch. I can physically fit in a Miata but my knees are pressed up against the steering wheel on either side so I’m not sure I could safely drive one.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:59:58 PM EDT
[#36]
S10 versus last generation Colorado. The new generation is even bigger. I miss compact trucks.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:15:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

How about when you have to load wide stuff in The bed? Does it interfere with any thing there on the side?

Legit, the one reason the Toyota is really used is that I can step into the truck front the ground, and pull up 7-10 50-65gal garbage cans every week.

Done it a few times with the 3/4-1 tons, but the bed height and heavy cans gets old fast.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

It folds up flat on the inside of the tailgate when not in use, and if you want to remove it, two pins are all that are holding it in place.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

@VACaver

that's exactly what my wife needs to get in the bed of my truck. Where did you find that?
badass
View Quote

@right_rudder found this tailgate ladder
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:03:42 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I have an '03 FX4 Ranger 5 speed that used to be my DD. I'm 6'4" and 250lbs on a good day. I fit no problem but it's quite a shock going from the spacious F150 into the Ranger.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
I had an ‘89 just like this but white.  Had the 2.3.  Great little truck.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/578900/IMG_5909_jpeg-3197939.JPG
View Quote

I had an 88 Ranger long bed. I have never seen another Ranger long bed. Not 1. I put ~130k miles on it. I got good money for it when I traded in for an F150.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
The Ranger Raptors are… very fast.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Another one for missing the older 80’s Rangers.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:43:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#43]

View Quote

This reminds me of one of the channels I watch on the youtubes.  Its a few rednecks who hotrod vehicles.  One of their vehicles is a colorado owned by a 600lb fat fuck.  

They wouldn't need quite so much horsiepower if the driver shaved off 400lb.

Bed Mount Turbo Colorado hits the Dyno! Most Power we've Ever Made! Until it wasn't...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:46:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

Shelter Green
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By -daddy:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/IMG_2143-3196660.jpg

Bigger than my old 2003 f150.

About the same size as my 2015 f150.

Smaller than my 2018 Raptor f150.

I take it home tomorrow.

What color is that?

Shelter Green

Huh. I thought it was a bronze/metallic brown, colors aren't my thing
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote

I'll bet, I have a tune on my '19 from Livernois.    Their vid shows 308 rwhp and 380 rwtq.   I think it's pretty quick,  so does my wife and she drives a Turbo Macan.

When somebody puts a tune out for that version of the TT3.0 it's going to fucking fly.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:53:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kentucky_smith] [#46]
Originally Posted By hbilly:
Now do a 70's ford ranger
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Even as a heavy half it's probably same size as a new Ranger.

I pulled up next to a new Colorado the other day with my '05 Cateye Silverado.  About same size and Colorado was taller.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kentucky_smith:
Originally Posted By hbilly:
Now do a 70's ford ranger
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92324/IMG_3945_jpeg-3198883.JPG

No F150 Ranger Explorer?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:02:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By PinePig:

I'll bet, I have a tune on my '19 from Livernois.    Their vid shows 308 rwhp and 380 rwtq.   I think it's pretty quick,  so does my wife and she drives a Turbo Macan.

When somebody puts a tune out for that version of the TT3.0 it's going to fucking fly.
View All Quotes

Only reason I’m really considering keeping it. To turn it into a little rocket ship of a pick up truck.

Flip side, I also really want a Gt500 to go with my Bullitt Mustang.

And I already have an F150 raptor with a Cobb tune.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By JVD:

No F150 Ranger Explorer?
View Quote

Previous owner put an Explorer hood ornament on Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#50]

Only reason I’m really considering keeping it. To turn it into a little rocket ship of a pick up truck.

View All Quotes

Sounds like good problems to have
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top