Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I laugh
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:06:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I think I have been off roading more than most  built up jeeps in my stock truck  witha truck camper in the bed in my area  .

A lot of them look pristine . I don't knock them and some of the jeeps look pretty sharp  all built up but they never see anything that might scratch or damage them .

Here you have to be willing to drive up north and hit fire roads and no longer used logging roads .

They don't go up there they just drive around in CT  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:07:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I figured it this way. I bought a decent winch, have a good kinetic strap and some soft shackles. I paid about as much as one off road recovery from a tow truck so I figured that was reasonable. Nice to have peace of mind when wheeling alone also.

Pic for the haters

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:09:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Backscatter] [#5]
You know what really helps more than anything?
Knowing how to drive and not getting in over your head.

ETA: I've seen a bone stock Suzuki Samurai go places you wouldn't imagine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#6]
OP made this thread, then went out and got stuck!

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=831572705447136&set=a.584058266865249
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KnightStick:
A stock trigger and drop in handguard are all that is needed
View Quote

That's completely different than what he's talking about.

Every time you fire your AR, you're using that handguard and trigger. Every time.

He's talking about the 4x4 people that bolt everything to the outside of their rigs and never actually take it on serious trails. Or maybe a few times a year.

That equivalent would be adding an extra rail to your AR15 just to hold a spare BCG in case yours fails even though you only fire 100 rounds a year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:13:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
I once got a 900 series 5 ton 6x6 stuck in a place that made a D-7 dozer operator comment "I'm not sure if I can get in there"

I was quit proud of my accomplishment
View Quote

Well done, Brother!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I need all of it.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only ever used a winch to pull other people out.  Decided on the current vehicle not to even have one, let them dig themselves out for a change.

Pretty sure most of the "recovery gear" you see strapped to the outside of vehicles is for the instagram pics, you have absolutely got to have that stuff to be cool.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have stopped to help everyone stuck I come across unless they already have active help.  It is usually out of towners that think AWD is the same as 4x4.  Fortunately they usually dont have enough traction to really dig in.  Still its about 250 a tow down on the beach.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Backscatter:
You know what really helps more than anything?
Knowing how to drive and not getting in over your head.

View Quote

I can vouch for that.  Lost an afternoon helping this idiot. If he hadn’t had a wife and infant 20 miles off pavement I probably would have just smiled and waved.   I knew there was going to be trouble when a tow truck was coming out and said “somebody is stuck back there and I ain’t getting stuck too”.

2 jeeps and multiple quads pulled him out.  Of course he had to leave the Excursion diesel till he could bring back a new rear driveshaft.  The other Jeep hauled them back to pavement.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:19:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HourOfAngle] [#13]
I use the winch on one of my trucks often. Lot of times here on the property when I don't feel like getting the tractor out. Mud is serious thing here since it rains a lot. Sometime it's getting unstuck and sometimes moving something else here when as mentioned I don't feel like getting the tractor out. I have a dirt driveway in a very rural area. I have mud terrain tires on my half ton. When it rains 5" in a day sometimes I need them in the driveway and don't take the 3/4 ton diesel because it's super easy to get where you have no traction due to all the weight up front.

I have had to use the winch a few times on "roads" at my neigbor, the national forest. My cousin has a speciality wrecker service that tows out stuck log trucks. Of course he has a custom made vehicle to do it he built/customised himself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve used an ARB type bumper multiple times. I needed it most with the 2 deer I’ve hit.

The winch I’ve never used to extract myself, but did use to pull logs up the hill for firewood, deer up the hill and to hang deer to skin and quarter.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
"Generally.''

Everything is useless and a waste until you actually use it.
View Quote
This.  Been stuck many times when I was younger when just a shovel would have fixed things fast.

4X4s have gotten a lot more capable though.  33s were "big" back then, and lockers were rare.  

I would still want a plan B and C though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:22:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I was with OP until he said Chinese snow tires. That’s one of the worst ideas I’ve ever seen advocated for on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
It isn't my money. I don't care.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I can vouch for that.  Lost an afternoon helping this idiot. If he hadn’t had a wife and infant 20 miles off pavement I probably would have just smiled and waved.   I knew there was going to be trouble when a tow truck was coming out and said “somebody is stuck back there and I ain’t getting stuck too”.

2 jeeps and multiple quads pulled him out.  Of course he had to leave the Excursion diesel till he could bring back a new rear driveshaft.  The other Jeep hauled them back to pavement.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_0614_jpeg-3199545.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_0611_jpeg-3199547.JPG
View Quote

@DVCER

Is that up on the mesa?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

@DVCER

Is that up on the mesa?
View Quote

Yes, that sad road between Cottonwood creek and Mesa lakes.

I don’t know how he even got in that far, and it was unlikely he could have made it out going toward cottonwood.  My Jeep barely fits between the trees that way.   You can see the infant on mom’s lap lol.  She was pissed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Is this like I've never been sick so why have Medical Insurance?

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#21]

I don’t know how he even got in that far, and it was unlikely he could have made it out going toward cottonwood.  My Jeep barely fits between the trees that way.   You can see the infant on mom’s lap lol.  She was pissed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By denverdan:

@DVCER

Is that up on the mesa?

I can’t say I blame mom for being pissed. That ain’t a place for a damn Excursion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:46:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#22]
Originally Posted By mmsSierra:

I helped 3 stuck vehicles in the Pine Barrens.  And, those 3 vehicles did not have any recovery equipment.  They were thankful that I did.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mmsSierra:
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
Your trails aren't the same as my trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGSRnLUIO4s

I helped 3 stuck vehicles in the Pine Barrens.  And, those 3 vehicles did not have any recovery equipment.  They were thankful that I did.

My buddy and I got a Dune Buggy wedged between 3 trees once. All we had was a Screwdriver and a Vice Grips. We cut down the smallest tree to get out. It was a long day.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:48:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Laughs in South Georgia mud. I usually recover about a vehicle or two a month. I’ve got all types of straps and chains.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:
I was with OP until he said Chinese snow tires. That's one of the worst ideas I've ever seen advocated for on Arfcom.
View Quote

Yeah this is a troll thread.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Why do we care how other grown men spend their money?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks cool on mall crawlers...my favorite part is when I tell them "you might want to put it in four wheel drive through this part"...the look on there face when they realiz e I have been in two wheel the whole time.
OP has never been off roading..
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:54:07 PM EDT
[#27]
...patiently waiting for OP's pics from Iron Chest, Holy Cross, and Blanca before the forest service blasted the fun parts due to rollover fatalities

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I’ve never used my Max Trax, Hi-Lift, shackles, snatch straps, or rigging cables for myself….I’ve used them numerous times for others though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I remember bombing down very rutted out forest roads in my Ford Fiesta with decent M+S tires to get to my favorite fishing and hunting spots. I wild come across groups in full over landing rigs giving me the stink eye as I drove past their camps.

I love the idea of an over landing rig, but I need to have one decent vehicle that also drives me to work and tires my family around. It’s now a 10-year old F150 and I’ll drive it hard but I can’t imagine having a $75k rig on the roads I drive. I’ve ripped mirrors off and dented bumpers many times. I always get to my destination and only seem to use my recovery kit (a few hundred dollars of straps and come along a, shovels, etc) to move downed trees off the road.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#30]
I'd say 90% of rigs down here are posers. Whether its lift, tires, shovel, traction boards..
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#31]
It depends on your risk tolerance. Carry whatever you want.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#32]
LOL, anytime you want to try following OP...we can for sure show you real 4 wheeling...I doubt you could get past the first river crossing or the first mudhole though...These are all purpose built offroad buggy's sporting 44" boggers and serious stuff for going far off the road system.......

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Try being lead trail guide at an off road park and doing that…
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:19:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tjcj] [#34]
Agreed OP not needed for the forget service roads you " wheel " on . Where I take my jeep , a stock TRD 4 runner isn't making it past the gate keeper .
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:22:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#35]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:
I was with OP until he said Chinese snow tires. That’s one of the worst ideas I’ve ever seen advocated for on Arfcom.
View Quote

The Bell Curve is real, esp. on arfcom.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:23:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By 556_Chowder:
Why do we care how other grown men spend their money?
View Quote

We don't, but when they post in a public forum thay can expect the public to reply.  That's how this works.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#37]
OP is the guy who jumps into Overlanding threads to let you know it's really "car camping".
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#38]
The #1 thing one needs to learn is how NOT to get stuck in the first place and add traction aiding devices [lockers, good OR tires, and such] BEFORE you get stuck.

Watch the Jeep that got stuck a couple times in the vid, 100% open diffs, all he really has is 2WD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#39]
OP sounds just like every member of the Toyota club before we left camp B then had to wait for my built Jeep to climb wildcat staircase when it was muddy and winch them all to the top. I get a nice chuckle every time someone in a lightly modded 4X4 tell me they can go anywhere any Jeep can go until they hear a 500hp stroker motor fire up and notice the 42” stickies and one tons. We do purpose built rigs for a reason. Sot back and enjoy the show
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#40]
I knew the hardcore, who make up maybe 1% of the people driving Jeeps and 4Runners, would pile in on this one.

OP has a point though, for the vast majority of owners a relatively stock 4Runner will get you into and out of most of the back country the weekend warriors see. I was in our Toyota dealership getting a blackout kit for my ORP, cause it's a lot more capable with one, and I was bullshitting with the counter guy. I told him we have a ton of T4Rs up our way that look like they're outfitted for an African safari, but the rock sliders are pristine and there's not a brush scratch on the entire vehicle.

He started laughing and said, "You're telling me? Who do you think sells 'em all that shit?"
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:39:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 14BoltFF] [#41]
Get stuck at the bottom of a bowl-shaped trail that’s all mud or snow with nowhere to go but up. You’ll be wishing you had a winch.

Been there done that, only I wasn’t stranded thanks to my winch.

I also once rescued a dude I came across who was stuck in the bottom of a steep hollow on a snow-covered dirt road for 24 hours after sliding off the side of the road. No cell reception, so he couldn’t call for help. His face was frostbitten. Snow + a steep incline in both directions = no traction. I couldn’t yank him with a strap due to no traction. I anchored my Jeep at the rear with a strap and winched him out. If the dude had a winch, he could have gotten out with no issue.

BTW, this was on a regular old rural snow-covered county dirt road - not even a “forest road.”
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#42]

Have you practiced self-winching, or do you plan on waiting for some nice person to come along and unstuck you?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:
2" lift on my Frontier 4x4 SV w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3's. Never been disappointed in mud, sugar sand, snow or ice. I did add a second tow hook up front and keep a 20' tow strap under my back seat if needed.

I use said truck for hunting and ski trips.

Have you practiced self-winching, or do you plan on waiting for some nice person to come along and unstuck you?

Is there a way to self- winch with just a 20’ tow strap?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
The #1 thing one needs to learn is how NOT to get stuck in the first place and add traction aiding devices [lockers, good OR tires, and such] BEFORE you get stuck.

Watch the Jeep that got stuck a couple times in the vid, 100% open diffs, all he really has is 2WD.
View Quote

The last sentence is correct.  A 4x4 without lockers is a 4x2.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Could you survive out here, OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k183PLQv-6A
View Quote

even better question

"have you ever actually had to drive somewhere like that or were you choosing to drive somewhere like that"

big difference
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: byron2112] [#45]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
LOL, anytime you want to try following OP...we can for sure show you real 4 wheeling...I doubt you could get past the first river crossing or the first mudhole though...These are all purpose built offroad buggy's sporting 44" boggers and serious stuff for going far off the road system.......

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-08-26_at_11_58_10_AM_pn-3199578.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-08-26_at_11_55_41_AM_pn-3199588.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-08-23_at_4_53_54_PM_png-3199592.JPG
View Quote

well, your adventures are the real deal. I remember your overland threads... impressive machines
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#46]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Is there a way to self- winch with just a 20’ tow strap?
View Quote

Not really.  There used to be a accessory that looked like a spare wheel (w/o tire) that you could bolt onto your wheel.  Attach the strap to it and it would pull you out by winding the strap onto the thingy.  The problem is, with open diffs, the opposite wheel would spin and you would go nowhere.  It would work with a locker, or maybe a LS diff.  I never used one.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#47]
I guess they are useful elsewhere but I always loved seeing the snorkles around here.  If you ever actually drove through something where it was needed, you should just total that rustbucket.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:58:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By boogerv:
I guess they are useful elsewhere but I always loved seeing the snorkles around here.  If you ever actually drove through something where it was needed, you should just total that rustbucket.
View Quote

Snorkels are actually more useful in the dry desert than anywhere else. A snorkel with a prefilter will help keep the grit out of the intake if you’re driving behind someone in the dust.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By boogerv:
View Quote

Snorkels work even better in the desert or really dusty areas. It’s better to pull air from up high than down in the wheel well where it’s dusty.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#50]
My winch, bumper ,lockers and skids have all been used.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top