Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pr24guy:
Could you survive out here, OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k183PLQv-6A
View Quote

Hail the Toxic Avenger!  

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I've lost count of the number of friends I've watched lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, and winch a truck... and then total the fudge out of it.

Huffing the ink off of 4x4 magazine is hazardous
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:17:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
The #1 thing one needs to learn is how NOT to get stuck in the first place and add traction aiding devices [lockers, good OR tires, and such] BEFORE you get stuck.

Watch the Jeep that got stuck a couple times in the vid, 100% open diffs, all he really has is 2WD.
View Quote

The absolute hardest thing about off-roading, is being able to pick the right line...Even with our buggy's that will pretty much go anywhere, an inexperienced driver will be surprised how easily one can get one stuck...It takes years to learn how to drive off-road, and most never do...Even less ever master the ability to pick the right line...

Attachment Attached File

This hill doesn't look bad from this angle, but  the picture below shows it better..every hunting season someone gets fucked up on this hill, either tumble a SXS or a buggy over on it..pictures don't do it justice....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Hard to see, but winching the ford up this hill..its all mud where he is at, he had both driver side 44"s out of sight...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tsg68] [#5]
I’ll bet more than half the motherfuckers that have a farm jack clamped to their vehicle don’t even know how to use one, lol.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#6]
lol. You should try real off-roading. Your TuRD 4Runner couldn’t make it on these hardcore trails.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:33:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
OP is the guy who jumps into Overlanding threads to let you know it's really "car camping".
View Quote

Most US "Overlanding" is just expensive car camping. A reliable stock vehicle with decent tires and a competent driver can go most places you'd actually "overland" in the US.  There is a difference between a purpose built off-road machine, examples being the Alaskan trucks and rock crawlers, and your typically overbuilt camping vehicle.  It's always funny to see all of the US "overlanding" crowd defend their "rigs" when you're used to being overseas and seeing the places the locals drive a beat up Toyota sedan, 2wd HiLux, Chinese 125cc underbone (what we'd typically call a scooter) or a walking tractor with a cart.  And yeah, I've got an ARB bumper, Warn 9000# winch, rock sliders and basic recovery equipment* in my 4wd Tacoma primarily because I travel alone most of the time but I've used it helping others far more often than I have self recovering- the most important thing you can have when you solo travel is some common sense and avoiding getting yourself in a position to need to do a self recovery.  Some of the gear, i.e. the winch, is also handy for other tasks.

*I've got more gear that I toss in the truck when going to recover a friend or playing around off-road with friends.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:34:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#8]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:

Snorkels work even better in the desert or really dusty areas. It’s better to pull air from up high than down in the wheel well where it’s dusty.
View Quote

Really seems like a great app for a snorkel.  Play desert rat for a summer and pull the air filter.  Filthy.

I don’t snorkel, and have moved away from the Jeep .  I do miss the heated cab sometimes.

Attachment Attached File

Took the SxS all the way across this.  One sketch climb like the AK guy was talking about.  
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
lol. You should try real off-roading. Your TuRD 4Runner couldn’t make it on these hardcore trails.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111557/IMG_3629_jpeg-3199683.JPG
View Quote

L O fucking L.  That 8" tall log that you could have driven around makes for one extreme obstacle and a hardcore trail.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
I’ll bet more than half the motherfuckers that have a farm jack clamped to their vehicle don’t even know how to use one, lol.
View Quote

All you have to do is walk around the vehicle and you'll see that very few of them actually have a place to even use it.  I've had one since my first FJ-40 but I've always hated them; heavy, PITA to use and extremely dangerous even when you know how to use it, have safe lifting points on your vehicle and are being careful.  We've got a couple of people around here who always have the things mounted along with their sun faded traction boards and Rotopax cans and other crap like 2.5# ABC fire extinguishers.  They complement the roof top tents, variety of LED lights and shiny, unscratched paint.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:47:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Backscatter:

L O fucking L.  That 8" tall log that you could have driven around makes for one extreme obstacle and a hardcore trail.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Backscatter:

Did you miss the rocks too?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

All you have to do is walk around the vehicle and you'll see that very few of them actually have a place to even use it.  I've had one since my first FJ-40 but I've always hated them; heavy, PITA to use and extremely dangerous even when you know how to use it, have safe lifting points on your vehicle and are being careful.  We've got a couple of people around here who always have the things mounted along with their sun faded traction boards and Rotopax cans and other crap like 2.5# ABC fire extinguishers.  They complement the roof top tents, variety of LED lights and shiny, unscratched paint.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:
Originally Posted By tsg68:

I’ve got a farm Jack and lift points. It came in handy when drooping the axle to install springs. Otherwise it stays in the shop.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Did you miss the rocks too?
View Quote

Rocks? Those are the size of boulders!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: paul463] [#14]
When you're good and stuck without a winch nearby, you'll be promising yourself you'll buy one if you ever make it back to civilization.

This was a long ass time ago (note the Polaroid photo), only about a ten mile walk out.  Bought a HiLift Jack the next day.  Couldn't afford a winch.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:59:19 PM EDT
[#15]
This is more fun. I need to head north and do it some more. Been too long.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#16]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Really seems like a great app for a snorkel.  Play desert rat for a summer and pull the air filter.  Filthy.

I don’t snorkel, and have moved away from the Jeep .  I do miss the heated cab sometimes.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_4340_jpeg-3199711.JPG

Took the SxS all the way across this.  One sketch climb like the AK guy was talking about.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_3998_jpeg-3199713.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:

Snorkels work even better in the desert or really dusty areas. It’s better to pull air from up high than down in the wheel well where it’s dusty.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_4340_jpeg-3199711.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/IMG_3998_jpeg-3199713.JPG

Yeah it works well in the desert. Especially if you have a prefilter or a sock for the intake.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The derp is thick…

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By paul463:
When you're good and stuck without a winch nearby, you'll be promising yourself you'll buy one if you ever make it back to civilization.
View Quote

I never had a winch I used a Come Along or my high lift jack. Other things I took when we went 4 wheeling was a couple of 20 foot long chains, 100 feet of 1/2 nylon rope some shackles and pulley's,Tow straps and have use it all several times in the woods.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:
The derp is thick…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_1258_jpeg-3199746.JPG
View Quote

That thing is sweet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#20]
You mean like a safe/room/house full of guns that rarely get shot OP?

Attachment Attached File

For the record, the only non-OEM thing on my 2WD, six-banger F-150 is a BFL on the back window.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#21]
A CCW pistol is a generally a WASTE of $$$. RARELY ever needed.

A fire extinguisher is a generally a WASTE of $$$. RARELY ever needed.

A home insurance is a generally a WASTE of $$$. RARELY ever needed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:14:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#22]

Have you practiced self-winching, or do you plan on waiting for some nice person to come along and unstuck you?
View Quote

This reminds me to pull my winch rope out and clean and check condition. It's been a minute since I needed to recover anyone.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:21:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Your trails aren't the same as my trails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGSRnLUIO4s
View Quote

You don't need gear, pay a piney a pack of cigarettes and you'll be right out

Used my Shrockworks bumper on multiple trees/deer/ditches, winch got me out more times than I can count.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SpacemanSpiff:

Yeah this is a troll thread.
View Quote

Nah,

THIS is a TROLL thread!!!1!

OP isn’t (totally) wrong but can eat a bag of dicks for his capitalization habits

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Off-roading gear is also tools that go with you in your vehicle. Usually chainsaw, axe, shovel, straps, come-along, hammer, tool box, tarp, extra gas cans, extra clothes etc.

If you go real off-roading you will break something or will get stuck eventually. Being prepared to get yourself fixed or free is what having proper “ gear “ is for. Not mall cruising shiny chromed out posers.

My truck is scratched and dented. The ARB bumper has knocked down trees and totaled a car . I have been wedged between two trees. Had only one tire that was on the ground. Angles that scared the shit out of me but I was able to get out of everyone of them. Driving skills and a proper vehicle setup is the most valuable part of going off the beaten path, not mall parking lots.
Best is having fun!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:35:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Had an old boss (20 years ago) with the CJ7 and $60k plus in work done to it. Would trailer it in. Did some crazy boulder shit with it. It was still a toy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:35:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#27]
Originally Posted By Boomer:

Is there a way to self- winch with just a 20’ tow strap?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Boomer:
Originally Posted By Whiskeyballzzz:
2" lift on my Frontier 4x4 SV w/ Falken Wildpeak AT3's. Never been disappointed in mud, sugar sand, snow or ice. I did add a second tow hook up front and keep a 20' tow strap under my back seat if needed.

I use said truck for hunting and ski trips.

Have you practiced self-winching, or do you plan on waiting for some nice person to come along and unstuck you?

Is there a way to self- winch with just a 20’ tow strap?

Yes, several.
You can tie your strap to your wheel and to a tree and try to drive on the strap. As the wheel spins it can wrap around the tire. Another way is to tie a large stick to your tire and as it spins, it will lift your vehicle.  Then there is something like the Bush Winch. It is taken from the military. Military Jeep wheels had a hole in them to put a stick or screwdriver into and wrap a rope around. The other end would be tied to a tree or large object. As the wheel spun it would winch you out. I know of another way using logs end over end, it wraps the strap around them as it pulls your vehicle out.  It really is some good stuff to practice, hope that helps.

Bush Winch Attaches To Car Wheels To Pull Them Out Of Bad Situations

Edit: I found a video on the Pole Winch.

SOS: How to Survive - Two Pole Winch

SOS: How to Survive - Grandpas Mud Rig
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

Is this supposed to be satire?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Bro OP could drive a stock 4Runner up that bro.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:44:31 PM EDT
[#30]
Meh. Did moabs things n things with a bone stick Nissan hardbody on 29" tires with an open front diff and 30 year old LSD rear.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By thezentree:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thezentree:

Bro he’s not stock. He has Chinese tires.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#32]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Used my Shrockworks bumper on multiple trees/deer/ditches, winch got me out more times than I can count.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Ahh, I see you know how to make a Piney smile.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm adding to my '23 T4R proportionally according to what I owe the bank on it.  Got sliders on the way.  Next is skids (probably aluminum as I don't get too nuts).  Need to hook up with some of the Ozark offroad guys.  Looks like fun up there...
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it didn't look like any of these trucks were aired down. Did the stuck ones have lockers?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Guess I wasted over $300 on the kinetic rope and soft shackles I just bought.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Self defense firearms are rarely ever needed… are they a waste of money too?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By GlockfanUT:
The derp is thick…

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_1258_jpeg-3199746.JPG
View Quote

Ordinarily I require a minimum of an extended cab (for my comfort)… but I love that truck.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: H1Mech] [#38]
My personal favorite is all of the mechanically inept dweebs buying up all of the 100 Series LX 470s. There aren’t many of them to begin with and in another 10-15 years an unmolested version will be about as rare as a ‘69 Chevelle SS.

They are ripping out the AHC, which is one of the most amazing and robust suspensions out there, and replacing it with a cheap Chinese coil lift kit. Then ditching the strong Japanese OEM wheels with a +60 offset for ugly Chinese wheels with a negative offset so they poke out to destroy the turning radius, suspension, sling debris on the body and rub tires against the fenders.

Don’t forget to add 500 lb of “armor” and “gear” plus some hideous cosmetic alterations so you can climb those parking lot curbs.

ETA:

That said, I’ve thought about adding an addicted off-road winch bumper + 4x4labs rear (no swing arms) to my ‘06 strictly for deer + rear end protection. But I just can’t force myself to do it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I didn't watch the whole thing, but it didn't look like any of these trucks were aired down. Did the stuck ones have lockers?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Emoto:

I'm not sure how the newer Jeeps are setup. I think they have something like the Subaru X System.
Airing down doesn't help when the center of the vehicle is bottomed out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:21:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm not sure how the newer Jeeps are setup. I think they have something like the Subaru X System.
Airing down doesn't help when the center of the vehicle is bottomed out.
View Quote

Depends on the trim level and what options.

It wasn't clear that those vehicles were bottomed out in those puddles, but there would have been a lot more traction if the tires weren't still at street pressures, nevermind if they had lockers.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]
The more pretty jewelry on the outside the more likely it's never seen unpaved roads.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:46:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wyoming77] [#42]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Meh. Did moabs things n things with a bone stick Nissan hardbody on 29" tires with an open front diff and 30 year old LSD rear.
View Quote

Not meaning to call you out personally, but if you are talking about “Fins N Things” then that is about the easiest trail you can hit in Moab. I have no doubt any stock 4x4 with decent ground clearance can handle that.
I”ve wheeled Moab for 20 years…your 29” tires are not going to do well most anywhere else. Hell even my SxS has bigger tires than that. Ever been to BFE? Rusty Nail? Rear Steer? Pritchet?
Wheeling is my main hobby, I sure get a kick out of people talking about their AWD lesbian Outback going anywhere a fully built trail rig can go. That’s about like me saying my lever action marlin will do anything your $4000 AR will do. If it’s not your jam, and you live in middle America suburbia, I get it, your mini van or Miata is all you need, but don’t generalize for people and areas you have no clue about.
What is the equivalent to “Fudd” in the off-road world?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#43]
For off-roading?

Worth EVERY penny

Amazon Product
  • In unstable areas of mud, sand and snow, the X-Jack offers a wider footprint to avoid sinking, and uses specially designed, triangular shaped feet to keep the unit firmly grounded

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:52:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Ya boy in his CV on hells revenge
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#45]
you dont need it until you need it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:00:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Johnnymenudo:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnnymenudo:

Negative. This is a super cereal thread.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:00:20 PM EDT
[#47]
I agree mostly.  Ish.  

I found that I use ARB Traction boards all the time in the winter and they kick ass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By contract:
* Unless you're super deep mudding.. OR recovering someone ELSE out for their own mistake.

But it looks cool.

Even the off-road tires are not needed for MOST trails. They absolutely SUCK on frozen/snow conditions.

I've driven a STOCK 4 runner (TRD with factory skid plate but never once used the TRD controls) with $150ish? Cheap Chinese snow tires/stock rims up some of the most difficult trials/highest peaks in CO, NV desert, Utah, AZ, etc, in all weather conditions, including deep snow.

Trails that make most people NOPE the fukk out.

Only real gear worth is is a skid plate AND tire chains.

Unpopular opinon.

But it's SUPER easy to get mislead by all the off road gear sellers. YOU NEED THIS, you NEED THAT, etc.

You really don't.

View Quote

Most of the shit out there is to offset a lack of skill.

You are explaining the value of skill.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By byron2112:

No doubt about it, across many interests and hobbies.

We here in the United States are collectors and tinkerers... keeps our economy going
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By byron2112:
Originally Posted By Andrewsky:
I think the OP has a point.  A lot of people would be better off going out and doing stuff than buying random crap.

No doubt about it, across many interests and hobbies.

We here in the United States are collectors and tinkerers... keeps our economy going

Yep not limited to off roading by any means.  Lots of guys have more money than time or ability so they buy the gear that they think will improve their experience.  You're better off working less and playing more, that's when you increase your skill level and really figure out what works and what doesn't.  But getting that time off isn't easy
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

The absolute hardest thing about off-roading, is being able to pick the right line...Even with our buggy's that will pretty much go anywhere, an inexperienced driver will be surprised how easily one can get one stuck...It takes years to learn how to drive off-road, and most never do...Even less ever master the ability to pick the right line...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_7904_jpeg-3199660.JPG

This hill doesn't look bad from this angle, but  the picture below shows it better..every hunting season someone gets fucked up on this hill, either tumble a SXS or a buggy over on it..pictures don't do it justice....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-02-14_at_3_47_55_PM_png-3199664.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-02-14_at_3_54_50_PM_png-3199665.JPG

Hard to see, but winching the ford up this hill..its all mud where he is at, he had both driver side 44"s out of sight...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2022-02-14_at_3_58_57_PM_png-3199671.JPG
View Quote

This guy gets it, it's 90% the driver.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top