BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jonny762:
It blows my mind that $825 is considered cheap for rent now. Mind you, when I moved in three years ago this was one of the higher end places in town at $650 (advertised as "luxury apartment homes"). I didn't think I'd have any issue finding another place under $800, but times they are a-changin' I guess.
View Quote
That's been cheap since I was in undergrad in 2006.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:16:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Never thought of myself as an idiot, but I'll consider that. Thanks.
View Quote

I’m an idiot for not buying a house and instead playing with legos at age 10, it happens to the best of us.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
These are imo the nicest apartments in town, for reference.

https://www.apartments.com/the-townhomes-of-liberty-ridge-findlay-oh/96r66n7/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Damn Ohio is cheap.

Here is a low-mid level apartment in Portland, OR
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/76/apartments_JPG-3200472.JPG
These are imo the nicest apartments in town, for reference.

https://www.apartments.com/the-townhomes-of-liberty-ridge-findlay-oh/96r66n7/

Shit, OP.  This is happening in Findley?  I remember doing the Findley Horizontal Hundred at least half a dozen times in my younger days.  I remember it being a beautiful college town.  Can’t believe it went to shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
On a serious note, if I was single I would just get a van and build it out into a stealth overlanding rig.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:17:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GunLvrPHD:
OP: consider toughing it out for a couple of more years where you are.
View Quote
Hell, if this is the new "cheap" I might have to. Yay, I'm lower class now!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Didn't start saving until too late, didn't get while the gettin' was good. Live alone. Found a fairly nice place three years ago for $650. Lease is up at the end of next month.

So now I have 30 days to find a new place. I go online and filter under $800, which is about my price point, and there's basically nothing.
View Quote

Of course not. You've actually been quite lucky to be living as cheaply as you have been. $800/mo was "fairly nice" for a 1 bedroom apartment 25 years ago. It has to be absolutely terrible now.

My advice: double or triple your budget and get a roommate.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By cancard:

Shit, OP.  This is happening in Findley?  I remember doing the Findley Horizontal Hundred at least half a dozen times in my younger days.  I remember it being a beautiful college town.  Can't believe it went to shit.
View Quote
It's not shithole status yet, but the beautiful college town it was even 10 or so years back is a thing of the past. It's getting bad. West Trenton looks like Little Mogadishu, and it's spreading east quick. The north end of Main Street is smoke shops and taquerias.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By eagarminuteman:

I’m an idiot for not buying a house and instead playing with legos at age 10, it happens to the best of us.
View Quote

Something something about the first participation I got back at age 6. Definitely my fault, though.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

Something something about the first participation I got back at age 6. Definitely my fault, though.
View Quote

Oh yeah, can’t forget the participation trophies that we forced our adult coaches to give us at the age of 6.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Never thought of myself as an idiot, but I'll consider that. Thanks.
View Quote

Maybe you should go get a second or a third job if that's what it takes.  I've done both not to be a fucking peasant, and fuck you very much for your stupid reply.  Life is tough, get the fuck off your ass and make it better.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:29:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By slow3v:

Bro. He lives in a complex. This is his chance to get his own place that can be a future 100% money maker, while living affordably and becoming a landlord. He can rent out the other side day one, what?

Also PMI on $200k would be about $70/mo tops. WTF???
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slow3v:
Originally Posted By Scalped:

Unless he's got stud-level credit, he's going to be ass raped w/ PMI. And he has to live in the place for at least 12 months before renting it out, if done with a conventional loan. VHA would be worse I think especially with reliance on state law and lender regs.

Bro. He lives in a complex. This is his chance to get his own place that can be a future 100% money maker, while living affordably and becoming a landlord. He can rent out the other side day one, what?

Also PMI on $200k would be about $70/mo tops. WTF???

LOL! No. He ain't gonna be paying $70/month in PMI if his credit score hovers around 620-659.

But it does look like you posted a multi-fam home, so house hacking would work. I thought without reading the listing first it was a single.. Even with the multi unit purchase, he would have to commit there for at least a year, sometimes two, if he did rent out the other unit. What happens when he finds a better job during that time? Good luck selling the place with tenants
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By JoeJeeps:

Of course not. You've actually been quite lucky to be living as cheaply as you have been. $800/mo was "fairly nice" for a 1 bedroom apartment 25 years ago. It has to be absolutely terrible now.

View Quote

In the area I live in now, $800/mo will get you an unfinished basement. No bathroom or heat, but almost 600 Sq ft. That was an actual listing last year btw.

I hope it was just a smartass boomer making joke at renters trying to find ANYTHING under $1200, but it was probably serious.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:30:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By JoeJeeps:

View Quote
Budget is slowly expanding, but damn.. $800 less than five years ago here would put you in a townhouse. One bedroom apartments, especially around the college, were in the $4-500 range and often included utilities. The unfortunate reality is that income for most of us hasn't been commensurate with the rapid increase in costs of just about everything, not only rent. I definitely don't mean to come off like I'm complaining, I'm just frustrated and venting, and I appreciate all your guys' responses.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Jeffg:

Maybe you should go get a second or a third job if that's what it takes.  I've done both not to be a fucking peasant, and fuck you very much for your stupid reply.  Life is tough, get the fuck off your ass and make it better.
View Quote
I'm just fine, sweetie. I know it's tough, I've been through tough all my life, and I'm surviving just fine. Pardon me for not swallowing a shit sandwich without a complaint.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Budget is slowly expanding, but damn.. $800 less than five years ago here would put you in a townhouse. One bedroom apartments, especially around the college, were in the $4-500 range and often included utilities. The unfortunate reality is that income for most of us hasn't been commensurate with the rapid increase in costs of just about everything, not only rent. I definitely don't mean to come off like I'm complaining, I'm just frustrated and venting, and I appreciate all your guys' responses.
View Quote

This is the downside of single life.

My recommendation to get out there and start dickin every broad you can until you find a good'un.

Split the rent until you find a better job/gig, learn a new trade or slither into a new corpo industry. You got this amigo
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Didn't start saving until too late, didn't get while the gettin' was good. Live alone. Found a fairly nice place three years ago for $650. Lease is up at the end of next month.

Sometime last year began a noticeable influx of what the left likes to call "migrants", which is growing by the month. They seem to mostly have Florida id's. I know this because they like to leave all their personal shit lying around the laundry room, which has become a defacto social hall and is usually filled with four or five adults and about a dozen very young children at any time of the day or night. I don't know what language they're speaking, but they either don't understand English or pretend not to if you try to talk to them.

There was never an issue with any type of crime here that I know of, but that's changing too. We had so many car break-ins and domestics in the past six months that the cops now like to sit at the entrance to the parking lot at night and run speed, just to keep an eye on things.

We have three dumpsters for the building, which are constantly full past capacity, to the point that bags of trash just pile up around them like a fucking landfill spilling food, alcohol, dirty diapers, etc. everywhere.

The pool, which was the best part of living here, became overrun with so many kids from dawn until dusk that it became impossible to enjoy. They filled it in a few months back and now we have a nice big dirt courtyard instead. Oh, and on my lease renewal application I found out they're increasing the rent another $75/month, up from the $35 bump the last two years.

So now I have 30 days to find a new place. I go online and filter under $800, which is about my price point, and there's basically nothing. I don't know how these people are even getting approved or affording to live here, since none of them seem to have cars or go to work.

I know, go be poor somewhere else. I just had to vent.

TLDR: Today is my one day off, it's 85 degrees, and instead of sitting out by the pool enjoying a drink with civilized people I'm sitting inside looking for a new place to live, listening to my new neighbors jabber in whatever Godforsaken language they speak while gaggles of feral kids screech outside and the entire building reeks of what I can only assume is the same long pig stew they cook from morning until night every day.
View Quote

I was late to buy a house in life too, but I did it and knocked it down fast and finished with some unexpected money and am on my way to retirement. Life throws you a lot of curveballs, and what is important to other people doesn’t have to be important to you…..

That said, we all put our pants on the same way, and we are all pretty much going the same place in life. It’s a lot more pleasant going thru life in your own home than someone’s shit-hole apartment…. BTDT.

Hunger is a powerful motivator, and you’re experiencing it. My advice is to stop fucking around “living your best life” and make a house a priority if that matters to you. It might mean working two jobs for a while to make it happen, but right now there is a whole lot more potential for the housing market to go way down than maintain status quo, so look at this time as an opportunity to same your money and be ready to strike.

Don’t buy a house right now, even if you can.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:37:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Precious87] [#17]
Only an idiot rents a place to live.
View Quote

Please, for the benefit of the group, explain how anyone, everyone, can buy a place to live.

wellwe'rerwaiting.gif

@jeffg
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:

I was late to buy a house in life too, but I did it and knocked it down fast and finished with some unexpected money and am on my way to retirement. Life throws you a lot of curveballs, and what is important to other people doesn't have to be important to you ..

That said, we all put our pants on the same way, and we are all pretty much going the same place in life. It's a lot more pleasant going thru life in your own home than someone's shit-hole apartment . BTDT.

Hunger is a powerful motivator, and you're experiencing it. My advice is to stop fucking around "living your best life" and make a house a priority if that matters to you. It might mean working two jobs for a while to make it happen, but right now there is a whole lot more potential for the housing market to go way down than maintain status quo, so look at this time as an opportunity to same your money and be ready to strike.

Don't buy a house right now, even if you can.
View Quote
Appreciate the insight, thanks man.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Maybe switch to decaf you unhinged fucking weirdo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:42:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eagarminuteman] [#20]
Originally Posted By Precious87:

Please, for the benefit of the group, explain how anyone, everyone, can buy a place to live.

wellwe'rerwaiting.gif

View Quote

I have a buddy that did. Bought a manufactured home on a lot for 347k, his mortgage is twice my rent and then some.

I think I’ll continue renting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:42:50 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#22]

I would buy a used POS trailer and live in a Trailer Park before I paid some dipshit $1500 for fucking rent.
View Quote

Ohhh, and the tough guy with an attitude has chimed in! He ain't paying no dipshit!

You heard it here first folks, he's so dope his transactions are dipshit free!

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Maybe switch to decaf you unhinged fucking weirdo.
View Quote

Nah, this is what I come in these threads for.

I'll make him a fresh pot of whatever he's drinking.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
not a lot of job opportunities in OH.

that's why it's cheap.
View All Quotes

Wife and I should consider OH after I graduate. All those places would likely be 300-400k in AZ.

that's why it's cheap.

Good Grief. When is the last time you were in Ohio?  There are plenty of Job opportunities in Ohio.  We do not however have California moving to Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Further reinforcing his position he digs deep! Everyone has the capacity to work 20hrs a day folks; eating, sleeping, and having time to bathe is for pussies!

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

I’m convinced some people get off on acting like an unhinged assholes on the internet. It’s the only way their geriatric ass can still get it up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#27]

I’m convinced some people get off on acting like an unhinged assholes on the internet. It’s the only way their geriatric ass can still get it up.
View Quote

I doubt they can get it up. That’s why they’re so fucken angry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:53:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Just making an observation but its very eerie with how much we have in common with the late Weimar Republic era.

And one day, for no reason at all, Adolf Hitler was elected.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

Good Grief. When is the last time you were in Ohio?  There are plenty of Job opportunities in Ohio.  We do not however have California moving to Ohio.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

Wife and I should consider OH after I graduate. All those places would likely be 300-400k in AZ.

that's why it's cheap.

You can go work just about anywhere here - almost on the spot - for $16+/hr if you need a job that bad. That should (should) be enough full time to put you in an apartment with enough money to live. The housing/rental market is rapidly pricing these inexperienced people out of just being able to support themselves, which is a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#30]

Further reinforcing his position he digs deep! Everyone has the capacity to work 20hrs a day folks; eating, sleeping, and having time to bathe is for pussies!

View Quote

Hey if you need more money just work more overtime!

*checks paycheck

*sees amount of paycheck that's already OT

*sees hours (at the legal limit already)

*Goes on Amazon to shop for boot straps

*can't find any compatible with Ariat steel toes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#31]
It's not shithole status yet, but the beautiful college town it was even 10 or so years back is a thing of the past. It's getting bad. West Trenton looks like Little Mogadishu, and it's spreading east quick. The north end of Main Street is smoke shops and taquerias.
View All Quotes

Shit, OP.  This is happening in Findley?  I remember doing the Findley Horizontal Hundred at least half a dozen times in my younger days.  I remember it being a beautiful college town.  Can't believe it went to shit.

OP,
What was their draw to Findley?

I’m surprised this had t happened yet in YO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 7:59:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

I doubt they can get it up. That’s why they’re so fucken angry.
View Quote

Probably.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:01:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brasscrossedrifles] [#33]
You can go work just about anywhere here - almost on the spot - for $16+/hr if you need a job that bad. That should (should) be enough full time to put you in an apartment with enough money to live. The housing/rental market is rapidly pricing these inexperienced people out of just being able to support themselves, which is a bad thing.
View Quote

Being able to afford an apartment with less than 3 employed skilled tradies to a bedroom is ownership money. Gotta start a business. I recommend popcorn. Popcorn Industrial Complex stonks are on their way up.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:05:48 PM EDT
[#34]

Ohhh, and the tough guy with an attitude has chimed in! He ain't paying no dipshit!

You heard it here first folks, he's so dope his transactions are dipshit free!

View Quote

Just to be fair you've been worthless POS your whole life so now you want to weight in on how life should be.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:09:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

Hey if you need more money just work more overtime!

*checks paycheck

*sees amount of paycheck that's already OT

*sees hours (at the legal limit already)

*Goes on Amazon to shop for boot straps

*can't find any compatible with Ariat steel toes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/116701/1000001666_jpg-3200782.JPG
View Quote

I made over $5k in 1099-INT. I owed the Feds $6k after inputting the forms.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Precious87] [#36]

Just to be fair you've been worthless POS your whole life so now you want to weight in on how life should be.
View Quote

That seems like a personal attack there pal, was that a personal attack?

Annnnd, potentially, you should read your own post, cuz it ain't make no dam sense!

ETA: Ok, I admit it, I'm dogshit. Was tryin' to get that raise, small bump  to $3.19hr (from $3.18), hoping to upgrade the tarp over my fridge box - ya know, down by the river.

@jeffg
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:10:47 PM EDT
[#37]
My money's on JeffG by the way
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:15:04 PM EDT
[#38]

OP,
What was their draw to Findley?

I'm surprised this had t happened yet in YO.
View Quote
I'm still trying to figure that one out, or at least how it happened. The local construction crews and internet (Metronet) in Findlay are almost 100% staffed by what I reasonably assume are illegals. Several of the shittier motels in the area became defacto housing a while ago, but apparently it's spreading out now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:17:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GunLvrPHD] [#39]
Hell, if this is the new "cheap" I might have to. Yay, I'm lower class now!
View Quote

I wasn't joking. You have a decent deal now, you just have to live with some assholes. But if you bought a house some assholes might move in next door and cause all the same problems you have now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Best of luck OP.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Scalped:
My money's on JeffG by the way
View Quote

How so? Is there a pot I can throw my wager in?

It's the internet, and this is GD, no comments I've made should be taken personally
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Holy fuck this thread is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:19:23 PM EDT
[#43]

How so? Is there a pot I can throw my wager in?

It's the internet, and this is GD, no comments I've made should be taken personally
View Quote

NO FUCK THAT EVERYTHING IS PERSONAL!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:19:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: konger] [#44]
Not sure where you’re at, but $800 is really cheap rent! Single wife’s rent for $1,600 where in NC.

Edit: single wides
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:21:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Annnnd, potentially, you should read your own post, cuz it ain't make no dam sense!

ETA: Ok, I admit it, I'm dogshit. Was tryin' to get that raise, small bump  to $3.19hr (from $3.18), hoping to upgrade the tarp over my fridge box - ya know, down by the river.

@jeffg
View Quote

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're fucking dead, kiddo.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#46]
The place I moved out of before here was $425 for a one bedroom, on the college campus. Other than being tiny, it was decent. Those same apartments are advertised at $650 now.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:
Fairly nice / 650 a month...what lol
The place I moved out of before here was $425 for a one bedroom, on the college campus. Other than being tiny, it was decent. Those same apartments are advertised at $650 now.

That’s DIRT CHEAP and wouldn’t get you a spare bedroom in the hood around here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:22:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By konger:
Not sure where you’re at, but $800 is really cheap rent! Single wife’s rent for $1,600 where in NC.
View Quote

If I rented I'd be spending around $3000+ on rent where I'm at.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#48]

@jeffg
View Quote

I know, I should really feel bad about hurting your "feelings" but I don't.  So, pick your fucking ass up and don't be such a whiney little fucking bitch.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#49]
They can afford it because you are paying for it we all are paying for it. Section 8 or worse. Federal housing. Take note of the owners and who they are. Because they will get theirs soon. We all will!!!!!    Those of you worried about the price of housing. DON"T worry!!! There is a very large asset and Equities crash coming Late This Year...

If you are over the age of 60 I suggest you either sell right now for what ever you can get for the dump, and go live with the kids OR stick it out because those of you that bought at 150K and its now worth 450K..  Well thats not going to last much longer.

If you want an instant price collapse Enforce US Code 18 Chapter 1324. That will crash housing down to reality.

If any of the above happens then the US will enter a Great Depression due to the devaluation will affect everyone with debt or assets that are basically on paper.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:23:39 PM EDT
[#50]
I know, I should really feel bad about hurting your "feelings" but I don't.
View Quote

omg I feel like old arfcom is back. It's a Christmas miracle.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top