Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DrFrige:
You are 100%. Its a chain of events. If our income drops, our belts tighten and wont go out as much. That affects other good people.

Did I mention FJB?
View Quote
That's assumed as this point.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By FistPeso:

Yup, I stick with simple controls and minimal electronics.  My shit breaks a lot less.
View Quote
My GE fridge is easy to fix

logic board $80
water dispenser board $120

30 mins to fix.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Mickdog13:

Government doesn’t prevent people from over-leveraging themselves.

That’s not the fault of democrats or republicans.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HeckThomas:
Under democratic leadership we lose everything.

Plenty of people who bought new houses and cars in 2020 won't be keeping them.

That statement leaves out a LOT of information.  It's not like people are suddenly broke for no reason at all.  It is absolutely the fault of the gov.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ridgeline001:
My washing machine just quit and I actually had the thought that I could make that thing pto driven. I am fed up with shit that is designed to fail with electronics and I even have a degree in the field.
View Quote
I've rebuilt my washer so many times I bought the bearing tool.  pump, bearings, suspension, brain box, the tub is stainless so long after I've given up on that pile the tub will be a nice fire ring...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Dentist here. Dallas area. All my buddies are saying the same thing (that I'm noticing as well).

The husband of one of my receptionists is a tile-layer for all the new apartments/houses. The guy recently went 3 weeks without a single job.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:

These are the lowest energy prices you will see for the rest of your lifetime.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jRob:
Energy prices MUST drop dramatically for us to have a chance to correct the ships course. Government money printers go brrrrrrrr though to stimulate the economy - which causes more inflation which means more brrrrrrrrr.

Lol. Lmao even.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
A friend of mine who is a commercial electrician who owns his company told me last Fall his business had slowed down dramatically.

Inflation is overcoming incomes.

View Quote

Building trades always slow in election years.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:49:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By jb31:

That statement leaves out a LOT of information.  It's not like people are suddenly broke for no reason at all.  It is absolutely the fault of the gov.
View All Quotes

FFDR doomed us to this path when he Unconstitutionally removed us from the gold standard...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:55:15 PM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Well the obvious things are weighing all of us down. Groceries, fuel, vehicle maintenance and repair.

But not everyone ran out and bought a $60,000 truck because loans were easy to secure.
Or bought a house at double its value.

Just because loans were “cheap” didn’t mean you could afford it.

That was the point I was trying to make.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
It started when we noticed the service calls for repair were slowing down... we went from being booked out 1-2 weeks to a few days and now we cannot fill a full day full of service calls. I usually run about 8 calls a day, today I only have 4.

The calls for "my icemaker isn't working", "I need general maintenance", "my refrigerator is making a weird noise" are not existent. We are only getting the emergency no refrigeration calls.

We ALMOST went out of business back then.

Not gonna lie... this is scaring the shit out of us. The phones are silent.

Talked to my competitors and they too are saying the same thing. Their phones are too quiet.

FJB

View Quote

Could be a combination of things.  I think appliances are very cheap in price (and quality) right now.  I also think that any skilled work is ridiculously priced right now.  If my fridge went out I'd probably go down and spend $1500 or  so for a new one which would include delivery and hauling the old one off.  I'd expect repair work on an old one to be half the price as new so why not just get a new one?

As for the skilled labor being nuts I had a 20 year old 40gal side vent water heater lose it's motor.  Motor/fan assembly wasn't obtainable and I needed it fixed (parents house) as they were out of hot water.  3 quotes and each was over $3,000.   I settled for the lowest at $3100.  New Bradford White side vent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Steel seems to be slowing down - carbon and stainless.   We don’t get much conversion or roll rolling business the past month or so.  Dropped off like a cliff
However the specialty metals like nickel and titanium - we cannot make enough of it.   Like someone is getting ready for something.  ..
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:01:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RikWriter] [#12]
Originally Posted By iwouldntknow:

FFDR doomed us to this path when he Unconstitutionally removed us from the gold standard...
View All Quotes

NVM  I didn't see who was posting, thought someone was serious for a second...
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
People are buying new stuff instead of having it fixed nowadays?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:

Building trades always slow in election years.
View Quote
Lots of things slow in election years, it's a very consistent pattern.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RikWriter:

George Washington warned us against meddling in foreign affairs but "feels" drug us into foreign wars about as soon as he passed.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jRob:
Energy prices MUST drop dramatically for us to have a chance to correct the ships course. Government money printers go brrrrrrrr though to stimulate the economy - which causes more inflation which means more brrrrrrrrr.

Not unless he's 90 years old.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Steel seems to be slowing down - carbon and stainless.   We don't get much conversion or roll rolling business the past month or so.  Dropped off like a cliff
However the specialty metals like nickel and titanium - we cannot make enough of it.   Like someone is getting ready for something.  ..
View Quote
Yeah, I have family that works for lockmart. They are busy.

Our EDDS coil prices came down pretty significantly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I work for a cancer hospital and unfortunately we’re busy as usual with patient volume increasing.

My buddy runs a shipping/trucking logistics firm and for April they only had $3100 in revenue when it’s normally $20k-$25k for this time of the year. When trucking slows down that is a tell tale sign the economy is hurting.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:06:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By xd341:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By xd341:
Originally Posted By JQ66:
Steel seems to be slowing down - carbon and stainless.   We don't get much conversion or roll rolling business the past month or so.  Dropped off like a cliff

The boioioioioing bros I know keep buying nicer stuff too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:12:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Industrial service tech. I sell and repair machine tools, yup it's been slowing down the last couple months for sure. Was in a metal workers union hall a couple weeks ago to work on one and there were about 30 guys just hanging out waiting for work.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:15:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:15:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:16:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By midcap:

Yep....that's how the HVAC companies con people into getting whole new systems down here.

View All Quotes

That's actually a thing too. Repair people have gotten to used to charging what ever they felt like that now that everone is broke dick they can't pay the high prices, so they can run to COnn's and get a new under the counter microwave for $10 a month

When the service bill is 50% of replacement, it just isn’t worth it.

Yep....that's how the HVAC companies con people into getting whole new systems down here.

I see this a lot with my company. Customer calls in saying their service guy told them the whole appliance needs to be replaced. In the end a $100 part fixes the problem.

Labor and mark up on parts is another issue. Customer called to verify a part number before he gave the service guy the okay to do the repair because of the cost. His quote was $2400. The part was only $800. They did a 100% mark up on the part and quoted labor at $800. I told the guy to buy the part then call me and I would talk him through the installation. It was a 15 minute job that involved unplugging 10 molex connections, put the new part in place then plug it back up.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#25]
It started when we noticed the service calls for repair were slowing down... we went from being booked out 1-2 weeks to a few days and now we cannot fill a full day full of service calls. I usually run about 8 calls a day, today I only have 4.

The calls for "my icemaker isn't working", "I need general maintenance", "my refrigerator is making a weird noise" are not existent. We are only getting the emergency no refrigeration calls.

Talked to my competitors and they too are saying the same thing. Their phones are too quiet.

FJB

View Quote

Last month we got quiet for 3 weeks, we are jam packed again (full electrical service).

This may just be a weird lull, don’t overthink it yet.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#26]
A friend of mine who is a commercial electrician who owns his company told me last Fall his business had slowed down dramatically.

View Quote

I am lucky, I have contracts that will carry me another year, I bid work out 1-2 years out. But I am also a 10 mil a year commercial electrical contractor. We are actually growing with what we do, but we are in a spot where not many electrical contractors can handle 3-7 mil jobs.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I've noticed this as well.  Client calls are less frequent, caseload getting lighter, less frequent appointments.  It all equals a smaller paycheck or more variations.  Which means we have to cut back on other luxury spending.

It's also seems like people all over are complaining about their pay stagnating, lousy raises, wanting to jump jobs for higher pay, but not finding new jobs available.  

I think we're at the beginning still of these economic rumblings and not near the end.  People make less, it doesn't go as far, they can't buy as much, those companies make less income, lay off employees or offer shittier products/services, and quality of life goes down. The government prints more money, offers more free shit, adds to the debt and weakens the dollar, "helping," by making the mess worse.  This roller coaster is probably going to get real bumpy.  But at least employers have to use the wrong-pronouns for people.  Real important shit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:44:58 PM EDT
[#28]
My dental office is a bit slow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:47:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Sounds like it's perhaps not the time to fire long term customers.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#30]
I feel that same way.  Silent recession bc a democrat is in charge.  Lots of companies laying people off
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Drsalee:
My dental office is a bit slow.
View Quote

You should do what the local dentist office that practices Scientology does. A million billboards and mailers every quarter. Evening and Weekend appointments...Holy shit they are always slammed. You can see their parking lot from the main drag and they all park in the back, but the customer parking is always slammed.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
It is definitive now.

How Sex Workers Predict Market Crashes

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:05:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Our business is experiencing the same thing. We normally get 25-45 calls a day. We get days with ZERO calls. Still getting enough apts to mostly stay busy. But it feels like a recession.

When trump was president. We would have 5-12 apts a day. It’s quite a bit different under Biden.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:13:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By ACEB36TC:
Dems have no business experience at least at the under 500 people range. Complete idiots they are.
View Quote
Dems are shitbags that shouldnt be allowed to be in govt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#35]
I'll need a new roof & furnace/AC in the next couple years.  Holding out for now - maybe prices will improve?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:15:34 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Nixon is the one that removed the gold standard. FDR just forced folks to turn in their gold for paper money.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:16:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I certainly hope so. Waiting on the mother of all stock market crashes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:17:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ebolinux:
Our business is experiencing the same thing. We normally get 25-45 calls a day. We get days with ZERO calls. Still getting enough apts to mostly stay busy. But it feels like a recession.

When trump was president. We would have 5-12 apts a day. It’s quite a bit different under Biden.
View Quote

Hope you understand that this situation is WAY more complicated then:
Trump = good
Biden = bad
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:21:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FistPeso] [#39]

Hope you understand that this situation is WAY more complicated then:
Trump = good
Biden = bad
View Quote

It’s a perfect summary.  The polices pushed by the left are meant to destroy or economic engine, our culture, our border, and our ability to defend ourselves.  Each and every policy move furthers those goals.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:23:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hammer1995] [#40]
I’m conflicted. One one hand I cannot fathom how people have the income they appear to have. On the other hand I’ve been to both Orlando and Las Vegas in the last 3 months and everything is packed.

We have a great household income and we just can’t understand how people are able to spend so much.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:24:18 PM EDT
[#41]

It’s a perfect summary.  The polices pushed by the left are meant to destroy or economic engine, our culture, our border, and our ability to defend ourselves.  Each and every policy move furthers those goals.
View Quote

Inflation and covid started before Biden took the oath.

You are oversimplifying to the point that it serves no purpose.

Trump deserves a share of blame for our current situation if you’re being honest with yourself.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Didn’t you recently have a thread about some rich guy that was upset you charged $400/hr for labor?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Trump deserves a share of blame for our current situation if you’re being honest with yourself.
View All Quotes

He does, but the situation was unwinnable.  NY and CA have the biggest populations in the country and their state and local governments were going to shut down the economy as an economic weapon against Trump no matter what he did.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

That's actually a thing too. Repair people have gotten to used to charging what ever they felt like that now that everone is broke dick they can't pay the high prices, so they can run to COnn's and get a new under the counter microwave for $10 a month

This right there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Shitty Economy, Good Election.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:42:36 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

The ones here in Nashville are able to turndown work due to demand.

Building has yet to slow down.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By M4-AK:
Shitty Economy, Good Election.
View Quote

Hopefully how can anyone be happy with the train wreck of biden?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#49]

FJB

Yeesh, do not want to revisit that time.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Bogdan:

Nah, some workers just can't afford to work for certain wages.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bogdan:
Originally Posted By Imzadi:
But the weird thing is that self employed people don't seem to care. I had a handyman doing a couple of tasks for me that I didn't feel like doing with more on the way. I completely let him do things as he wanted at his pace since he quoted by the job. But he just ghosted me part way through a job.

The economy is broken. Somehow companies can't find workers and workers can't find jobs.

Nah, some workers just can't afford to work for certain wages.

I would be sympathetic to the handyman if he had not quoted the price.
Page / 5
Top Top