Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The value of your house isn't going up, the value of your dollar is going down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#2]
$40k to $190k. And they don’t even know about all the improvements I’ve put into it. New deck. First floor laundry. Refinished attic. Refinished bathroom. Converted a half bath to a full bath. I’m guessing we’re over $250k.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:08:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hking] [#3]
I bought my house for $80k in 2019

I could easily sell it for $120k-130k the same day I list it, small town and market is crazy right now. Zillow says $145k but I think that is stretching it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:09:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cacinok:
Purchased 10/22, value is up $76k.
View Quote
That's an expensive Ruger!  

My house has only gone up about 25% since I bought it in 2004.  The Zestimate on it is BS though.  Shows huge fluctuations based on what some computer thinks is a comp.  My house has very few comps, but one of them sold last year for higher than what the Zestimate says.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
View Quote

Bingo !
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:10:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#6]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Hoping we hear the same thing when we list ours around this time next year.

Bought in 2015 for $543,500. Zillow estimate is an RCH under 800k now.

C'mon baby!
View Quote

The caveat is what you buy after is going to be priced nut's  also .

I came close to pulling the trigger on a lot in the lakes region of NH  last week but I was informed
the lot owner was denied a permit for a dock so now his lot is worth nothing to me but I'm sure someone will buy it but not at his asking price.

He had priced it thinking he would be issued a permit .  

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
My house address was not found by zillow. Good!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ZuoZongtang:
It doesn't work that way.  If your house goes to 800k anything in the Keys will be a million plus.
You could live on a sailboat or in an RV in the Keys.  That's what I plan to do.  

View Quote

Keys is the most expensive real estate I have ever looked at .

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Just remember that Zillow is in the business of buying and selling houses, so they will entice prospective customers with high estimated values. Listing price and selling price are two different things.

And then if you sell for the fat profit, you'll find that buying a replacement home will eat up that profit.

You can't win, unless maybe you have a second home you can sell and just pocket the dough.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:

Keys is the most expensive real estate I have ever looked at .

View Quote
I bet the homeowners insurance alone is over $2k a month for an average home there
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:28:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JimmyAR] [#11]
Our triple wide which we put on 6 acres 20 years ago is shown at 760,000 in the height it was close to 900,000.    Honestly the property is worth more than the house.  Which has held up really well for a manufactured.    Property tax is 5600 a year.

Should add the county accessor site has it listed at just under 600,000
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:28:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mohawk17] [#12]
Purchased 12/19 for $460k, Zillow says 665-778 currently. Honestly, it might go for more since it's on flat acreage which is hard to find in East TN. I would consider selling for 1 million if someone offered though, it's getting a little crowded around here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:31:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I sold two and bought one home three years ago.

Home 1: was 520, now 605 up 15%
Home 2: was 500, now 641 up 21%
Home 3: was 485, now 577 up 15%

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Zillow's estimates are a bit high for my area.  Homes.com and Redfin.com have lower numbers that seem more accurate.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I just want a definitive answer as to whether Zillow values are accurate or crack-smoking territory.  I get a different answer every time I ask someone who's supposed to know (like real estate agents).  Somebody?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#16]
this is the one that keeps freaking me out...

2 bd 1 ba 768 sqft
Off market
Zestimate®: $521,400 Rent Zestimate®: $1,887
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:34:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DocApocalypse:
I just want a definitive answer as to whether Zillow values are accurate or crack-smoking territory.  I get a different answer every time I ask someone who's supposed to know (like real estate agents).  Somebody?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/SJFTMTT_jpg-3204432.JPG
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:34:57 AM EDT
[#18]
I have a theory that the increase in Zillow values (starting during covid) is a form of stimulus that doesnt use tax dollars. I think how it all started was Zillow & a few of the other players had accumulated quite a bit of residential real estate. To increase their equity I think they "tweeked" the values by a very small percentage (basically turned the "knob" on the control panel up just a bit). I think that was noticed by the clowns in charge. The clowns called zillow on the carpet, not to punish them, but to ask them to turn the "knob" even higher. Look at all the economic activity that followed the huge increase in everyones home values. And no tax dollars were required..... Pretty clever I think
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:35:34 AM EDT
[#19]
We bought our house for around $350k four years ago and Zillow says it's $446k.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CoconutLaCroix:
Spend a year saving $30k for a down payment.

Home rises $80k in one month.

Try harder kiddo
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine is up 65K since I bought 2-1/2 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Bought for 250 worth 400 now. Not selling it because it'll be worth even more as people keep fleeing the cities
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Yep but good luck finding someone who can actually buy it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:41:46 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

It just depends on the comps it's pulling. It's not rocket science to look at homes that have sold recently.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:41:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:42:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I think this is related to yesterday's thread about big investment firms having bought all the houses up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Rocky41:
A lot of the buyers in our area are older and paying cash. Mostly retirees.
View Quote

A real estate guy on utube claims around 50% of home sales in FL are cash buyers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:46:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Obo2:

You realize you need to live somewhere though right?

If you are selling an other than primary I can understand being excited but between housing prices and interest rates it kinda sucks to move now no matter how much your homes value has increased.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Obo2:

C'mon baby!

You realize you need to live somewhere though right?

If you are selling an other than primary I can understand being excited but between housing prices and interest rates it kinda sucks to move now no matter how much your homes value has increased.

Yep, going from 2% to 6.5% sucks, but we're going from NoVA to 54 acres in the sticks and a new build.

We're making a lifestyle change for the entire family, not just trying to cash out on a "cheap" house purchased a decade ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By einnor1040:
Ive checked mine on several different sites and there is about a 70k spread in price difference.
WTF?
View Quote

Zillow has my house at 1.4. Redfin at 1.6 so a $200,000 swing. 2200sq ft on a 4/10 acre in Orange County Ca.

There's not much to buy under 6-700k
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#32]
I do it periodically. Bought for $245k just under 3 years ago, and Zestimate is now $342k.

I'd say I don't believe it'd actually sell for that much, but the last house that sold in the neighborhood was 20% smaller and had a 60% smaller lot. Went for $310k 8 months ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:52:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eolian] [#33]
Last i checked $450K ish i quit looking.
I have buildable land in this price.
Theres a small house across the street getting ready to hit the market.
I would of liked to bought it but a landshark got it.
this area is jumping.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#34]

I came close to pulling the trigger on a lot in the lakes region of NH  last week but I was informed
the lot owner was denied a permit for a dock so now his lot is worth nothing to me but I'm sure someone will buy it but not at his asking price.

View All Quotes

C'mon baby!

We're building the next home, but that tripling of the interest rate fuckin' sucks
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#35]
My house jumped about 59% in value over covid

I'm in a nice area that's currently being built up, I expect that value to rise as a result.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Our home went up 150k in the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:54:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Paul] [#37]
Originally Posted By MikefromTX:
Just remember that Zillow is in the business of buying and selling houses, so they will entice prospective customers with high estimated values. Listing price and selling price are two different things.
View Quote

Indeed.

Zillow bought one of my homes and it was the most fucking wonderful experience I've had with my pants on.

I was selling another home through an agent in South Carolina when I thought about selling my California house to Zillow. They made an initial offer that I thought was a good $50-$75K too generous and scheduled an inspector. The guy arrives the next week, it's a kid and a camera. He takes +200 photos of the house including sending the camera up into the attic on a pole and shooting photos of electrical outlets. A week later the Zillow agent calls back with a firm offer and they've raised the price $27,000 because of my solar panels. Actually they raised the price $35K for the solar system (that I paid about half of that for 12 years earlier) but took $8K for some termite damage they found.

They sent a mobile notary to my house with all the required paperwork. They were able to hit the exact hour I wanted to turn the home over to them.

That Monday was a bank holiday. I retired on Tuesday. I packed out the house on Wednesday. I turned the house over to Zillow the morning of Thursday and by the time my head hit the pillow that night I was in Utah nearly to Colorado. By Saturday we were in the UP of Michigan and by Monday Zillow's check had cleared my bank.

The Zillow ladies were upfront and honest. There was a manager/coordinator/agent and a financial lady. There were $30K of realtor fees, services, or efforts needed by me ... none of the hours of bull shit dealing with the buyer's demands. I had to leave the home button up and "broom" clean. I gave the kid who showed up on Thursday the codes to the alarm, the password to the solar array, and the keys to the home.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:55:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't believe the Zillow value. Zillow says my home is up 50% but I put it in my financial planning spreadsheet as up 25% and even that who knows
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Mine has almost doubled. Its wild. We’re not moving unless someone offers me silly money to take a job somewhere that doesn’t suck.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Says I'm at $670k.  I'm mortgaged for less than half that.

The temptation to sell and buy a condo cash closer to work is strong.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:57:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
View Quote
This is true. It's also one of the only ways that average Joe wins on inflation - my mortgage didn't inflate so my share of equity in the home has increased a lot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Breechlock1] [#42]
I shouldn't have clicked this thread.  I bought a house in 2011 for 40K and paid it off.     I wanted to keep it and rent it out.  My wife didn't want the hassle.  We had two kids and another on the way.  We sold the house for 80k.      Zillow shows that the house sold 12 days ago for a 185k.  F' me running I'm mad all over again.

My current house we only paid 115k.   Zillow has it at 280k now.   I'd sell but I've put a lot of blood and sweat into it and I couldn't get what I have for 280k anywhere close.

ETA zillow has my current house as only 2 bedroom and on 2 acres.   Its 3 bedroom and on 6.5 acres
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:58:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#43]
Originally Posted By M4DUDE:
Says I'm at $670k.  I'm mortgaged for less than half that.

The temptation to sell and buy a condo cash closer to work is strong.
View Quote
As long as inflation is a thing, and if your interest rate is low, hang on to that mortgage
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought my house 3 years ago this July for $450,000.  Just checked and it is valued at $539,400.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#45]
$1.2M lol. 6 acres and house, 3 car garage, I have $465K in it.

I have a 1/2 acre lot, I paid $130K for in Horseshoe Bay TX, I've been offered $275K. Gated lake community with a small marina.

At the end of covid my neighbor sold 8.9 acres for $1.1M and it has a junky trailer and old building on it. It's fkn ridiculous.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
We went from 280k for around 12 acres and a 2k house that needed work to 575k.

If it ever hit 800k I’m selling and moving to the Keys.
View Quote

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By LurchAddams:
Zillow's estimates are a bit high for my area.  Homes.com and Redfin.com have lower numbers that seem more accurate.  
View Quote

Same here (city of San Diego, CA).  Zillow is typically about 25-30% higher than Redfin, and Redfin's numbers more accurately reflect actual sales prices.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#48]
OP -  been very aware

You haven't noticed a commensurate increase in your property taxes?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Paul:

Indeed.

Zillow bought one of my homes and it was the most fucking wonderful experience I've had with my pants on.

I was selling another home through an agent in South Carolina when I thought about selling my California house to Zillow. They made an initial offer that I thought was a good $50-$75K too generous and scheduled an inspector. The guy arrives the next week, it's a kid and a camera. He takes +200 photos of the house including sending the camera up into the attic on a pole and shooting photos of electrical outlets. A week later the Zillow agent calls back with a firm offer and they've raised the price $27,000 because of my solar panels. Actually they raised the price $35K for the solar system (that I paid about half of that for 12 years earlier) but took $8K for some termite damage they found.

They sent a mobile notary to my house with all the required paperwork. They were able to hit the exact hour I wanted to turn the home over to them.

That Monday was a bank holiday. I retired on Tuesday. I packed out the house on Wednesday. I turned the house over to Zillow the morning of Thursday and by the time my head hit the pillow that night I was in Utah nearly to Colorado. By Saturday we were in the UP of Michigan and by Monday Zillow's check had cleared my bank.

The Zillow ladies were upfront and honest. There was a manager/coordinator/agent and a financial lady. There were $30K of realtor fees, services, or efforts needed by me ... none of the hours of bull shit dealing with the buyer's demands. I had to leave the home button up and "broom" clean. I gave the kid who showed up on Thursday the codes to the alarm, the password to the solar array, and the keys to the home.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Paul:
Originally Posted By MikefromTX:

Indeed.

When it comes time to sell, we're planning to hit up Zillow and others to see about an offer.

I presume you didn't get hit with a "realtor fee" taking 4-6% of your sale, correct?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:05:49 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote

Depends on your state’s reporting laws and how accurately they have identified your property. Here in Utah, the MLS (and ultimately Zillow) does not get notified of non-arms length transactions (like when sold between friends or family, often for a below market value price.

Zillow also doesn’t show my basement which is 33% of my square footage. I built the home, so it has never been listed on the MLS and therefore updated with accurate details. Zillow lists my house $150k under market value.
Page / 7
Top Top