Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:06:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Boom_Stick] [#1]
Its nuts. On my paycheck I couldnt buy this place today without becoming house poor.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Paid $590,000 three years ago.  Zillow has it at $800,000 right now.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:07:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:
We went from 280k for around 12 acres and a 2k house that needed work to 575k.

If it ever hit 800k I’m selling and moving to the Keys.
View Quote

You arent buying much in the Keys for 800K. Buddy just sold his 2/2 1800 sqft shack inland for 750k.
[#4]
My home in rural SC is up 50% in the last 5 years. Certainly not as crazy as other parts of the country.
[#5]
According to that, my place has nearly doubled.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DocApocalypse:
I just want a definitive answer as to whether Zillow values are accurate or crack-smoking territory.  I get a different answer every time I ask someone who's supposed to know (like real estate agents).  Somebody?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/271112/SJFTMTT_jpg-3204432.JPG
View Quote

Yes.

For the most part, they're inflated because how else would Zillow make money?

The accurate representation of your home value is what the composites are - what similar homes are selling for around your area. Even those can be wild, as it may be hard to find homes that are similar in all aspects. We had a couple composites that were higher in price because the home was similar, but the land was much bigger.

We sold last June, roughly a year too late to maximize the panic buying. Oh well. For our area, our home sold about average, if not a little above. Compared to the online estimates, our sale price was $50k-$80k lower. What killed our price decision was the asshats down the street that sold a similar house for $100k under market value (I'm assuming a death/divorce situation).

We were somewhat lucky that there's a larger development about a mile away that has the same or similar homes. Our friends live there and their home was a mirror image of ours. It was hilarious when they visited. They were so confused. Someone in that development was selling the same time as us. Their home was a little smaller, but had A/C, where our home was updated (counters & carpet) and all the rooms were the same color. Their house was priced according to Zillow pricing. It sold for $41k lower than original asking, and took almost 3 months.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PhuzzyGnu] [#7]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:09:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky41] [#8]
Originally Posted By Alacrity:

OP -  been very aware

You haven't noticed a commensurate increase in your property taxes?
View Quote

No, property taxes are very low. Over 65 and I pay no school taxes which make up most of the property tax. Mine were $1,050 dollars last year.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:10:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRShooter] [#9]
Went under contract for the place I'm in 48 months ago @ $550K.  Zillow has it at $886K.  That averages out to $7,000 a month in price appreciation.  

It doesn't matter though, in fact hurts.  Property taxes have also gone from $3100 to $3950 a year.  Back in 2020 Allstate wanted $1200 a year to insure.  The next year they wanted $1800.  We switched to another company that's back down around $1300.  Expecting an increase this summer we checked with Allstate again.  They want $3800 now.

I'm glad I bought a large house.  My kids will never be able to afford to move out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:11:27 PM EDT
[#10]
$681,500 Zillow
$725,133 Redfin

An old house with a subdividable lot and what passes for a reasonable commute and freeway access for Seattle and all suburbs East and North. I live here very cheaply for the greater Seattle area, but if a developer threw me the right number, I would be tempted.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Paid 170,000 in July 2020, 3% rate. Zillow says 234,000 today.
The plan was to do minor upgrades then put it on the market when the kids are gone in 2026.
Interest rates and a low number of homes available are probably going to delay that plan.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Rocky41:
Bought this new house in North Georgia 4 1/2 years ago for $450,000. 2,600 sq/ft 1.7 acre lot on the river. Prices were reasonable back then but after noticing recent sales and  listing prices  I thought I would look mine up and was shocked....................................... An older home down the street that sold 5 years ago for $275,000 just sold again for $675,000. We have reached a level of insanity I thought I would never see.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Misc/i-D3kLLKb/0/9N9zdFBdjWzsjWbMZGwWJccFRRkmc7Ks2sV9PHgr/X2/003-X2.jpg

View Quote

Im in North GA too. I'm not sure where about you are but if you are in or around Blue Ridge the numbers are crazy, but you will never actually get it. Issue now is nothing is selling and not enough data to readjust the numbers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#13]
A lot of the buyers in our area are older and paying cash. Mostly retirees.
View Quote

I hate all the boomers moving in here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Racer_X:

One of my thoughts at the beginning of this thread was, "How accurate is Zillow in comparison to a real comp done by a realtor?"
View Quote

Which one is right, a guess by a computer, or a guess by a  housewife that has a part time job?

Now the computer can go by what the sales price of comparable places around yours, but the housewife is going to come out to your place, and take a quick look around and come up with a number.  
Which one would I choose?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Nine years in our house has almost doubled in value. Probably will exceed in ten. At least half of that is collapsing USD. Very glad our parents kept all those silver coins. All those failed currencies I like to collect are even gaining ground.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:16:09 PM EDT
[#16]
bought at 430k in 2021

Zillow says now 490k
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#17]
64% increase in less than 3 years!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:21:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 338winmag:

Which one is right, a guess by a computer, or a guess by a  housewife that has a part time job?

Now the computer can go by what the sales price of comparable places around yours, but the housewife is going to come out to your place, and take a quick look around and come up with a number.  
Which one would I choose?
View Quote

I'm guessing you've had some crappy realtors.  I've never had a realtor take "a quick look around and come up w/ a number".  Every single one has pulled comps before attempting to value mine.  A few have been good enough to venture a guess, pull comps and be correct.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:22:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky41] [#19]
Originally Posted By manderson1911:

Im in North GA too. I'm not sure where about you are but if you are in or around Blue Ridge the numbers are crazy, but you will never actually get it. Issue now is nothing is selling and not enough data to readjust the numbers.
View Quote

Homes are still selling well in Gilmer County (Ellijay) vs Fannin County (Blue Ridge). Blue Ridge is mostly rentals and 2nd homes and when interest rates went up along with major increases in property taxes on those 2nd homes it really hurt the market. Gilmer County has no school taxes if over 65 and the average tax bill is very small. Most of the buyers here are retirees and love the no school tax. Also most retirees don't want to live in an area with a lot of short term rentals.

My Brother-in-Law is moving here from Florida and just bought a $750,000 home in Gilmer County, Covered Bridge Estates. They looked in Fannin County but their property tax bill would be three to four times higher than what they will be paying in Gilmer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Paid $480k 12 years ago.

Zillow estimate is now at 1.2 mil...like whoa...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:37:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Says mine increased $100k since 2017
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: von_landstuhl] [#22]
Bought for $147,000 in Nov 1996.  Current estimated market value: $449,700.  305% gain.

Will be paid off in July.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:40:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky41] [#23]
Cost of living is starting to affect home prices in some areas. Taxes and insurance are getting out of hand in some places........................A lot of retirees start by looking at States with no income tax and that is a mistake. What they should be looking at are states like Georgia that have no State Income tax on Pensions and Social Security up to $85,000. Also you have to look at specific Counties for property tax. In Gilmer County you pay no school taxes if over 65, our property tax bill is $1,000 but would be $4600 if we had to pay school taxes. The big lure of "No State Income Taxes" can be misleading. Florida and Tenn. have very high cost of living in many areas of those states and that is starting to affect property values.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:41:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:

Get a real job in the trades and move to a rural area
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wakeboarder:
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
All I have to do is stop eating avocado toast to afford a house in today's market.

Get a real job in the trades and move to a rural area
I'm in the trades and rural. Bought my current home in 2015.
175k to 450k in 9 years.
I couldn't afford to buy it today.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:44:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#25]
First house was $98900 sold for $250000 after owning 14 years.  Second house was $163000 20 years ago, now estimated at $370000.  

Successful basement printer repair due.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I stopped using Xillow when they started pushing LGBTBQQ propaganda in email blasts.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Bought for $153k ten years ago, Zillow estimates about $450k right now.

Absurdity.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:47:40 PM EDT
[#28]
In 1985 I was transferred by my company to Chattanooga, Tenn. We bought a brand new three bedroom 2 1/2 bath home for $75,000.....................However our mortgage interest rate was 14.5% !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By BooJangles:
The value of your house isn't going up, the value of your dollar is going down.
View Quote

Always has been.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#31]

https://redf.in/4VaoQa.  This is how crazy OC is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:52:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#32]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

Hoping we hear the same thing when we list ours around this time next year.

Bought in 2015 for $543,500. Zillow estimate is an RCH under 800k now.

C'mon baby!
View Quote

525 in 2020, pushing 800 here as well. On a 1/4 acre.

Property taxes are keeping up
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#33]
You boomers are the problem why these kids can’t buy a house these days. Stop bragging about what you have and what they dont have!
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:55:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By The_Like_Button:

If it ever hit 800k I’m selling and moving to the Keys.
View Quote

You won't be able to afford the Keys.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:56:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Bought in 2009 for 119, tax assessors says 296, Zillow 306.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:57:13 PM EDT
[#36]

We're building the next home, but that tripling of the interest rate fuckin' sucks
View Quote

Believe me  I'm not bragging  I'm just old

I'm buying cash and building my home cash
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Hoping we hear the same thing when we list ours around this time next year.

Bought in 2015 for $543,500. Zillow estimate is an RCH under 800k now.

C'mon baby!

We signed the closing docs on the construction loan, and rolled the land loan from Feb into it, this past Monday. We're paying ~8k/yr in property taxes on that 850sqft 1/10th acre spot in NoVA. We'll be paying ~8k/yr on 54 acres and a 2300sqft home in WV. WV is in the bottom 10 for property taxes in the nation. Wild, man
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
Mine doesn't have a "zestimate" not enough data. I guess that's one advantage to being in the country but neighborhoods are slowly creeping my way. The guy who bought the 55 acres across the road is a developer but they won't allow neighborhoods to be built on dirt roads.
View Quote

Zillow is not a number that should be taken seriously.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:59:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rocky41] [#39]
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
@Rocky41

It WILL change. The market demand, besides artificial scarcity because municipalities that aren't really geographically bound by water/mountains play constant fuck-fuck games with their zoning authority.

A toxic stew of perpetually trying to maximize property tax income, but minimize anything that consumes city services. And favoritism, patronage, payback, and punishment. Plus, whatever NIMBY-bitching they actually respond to by their AWFUL/Karen constituents.

But, either way, as Boomer deaths and nursing home admissions rise and single family homes vacate, Gen-X isn't big enough to buy all the homes, and Gen-X is moving into empty-nester territory itself too... supply will go up.

Millennials are a bigger cohort than Gen-X but not bigger than Boomers, much less Boomers & X combined. Zoomers, even smaller.

Blackrock buying all those houses? Somebody has to buy or rent them, eventually, or they'll lose their shirt.

The house may have been vacant for 5+ years, the copper is all gone, and the lawn is 3 feet high... and figuring out what bank or municipality holds the deed might be difficult at first, but, the supply will be up.

Add to that, whatever economic pressures are slowing home buying or mortgages. Because the economy, cities, infrastructure, utilities... all of it grows to meet demands, but there is no formal mechanism to contract it all as the population shrinks.

And, unless complete political mayhem happens, say something like Democrat single-party control over the whole US, etc. The flood of illegals, for better or worse, barely holds the  population of the US level now. And unless it gets even bigger, it won't compensate for the shrink soon.

A pyrrhic victory, either way.

And, illegals can't fill the market niches that are key points in things like mortgages, and certain jobs. Their anchor babies might... but not them.

And, American economic contraction from demographic decline may reduce economic incentives to come here. And, improvements abroad in 3rd & second world nations, in economic conditions, and in political violence/crime could stop pushing them here. And the improvements at home, those will also lower the birth rates and reduce the supply able to try and come here.

The "housing crunch" will end. Either just prices flattening, as wages/inflation catches up. A dramatic shrink in demand. Or a glut of supply, even if it looks kinda like Detroit, and the houses are $1 city deeds with a contractual obligation to remodel the property.

If anybody wants to cash out, plan accordingly.
View Quote

I think you are exactly right..........Our plan is to sell in six years and move in to a very nice retirement facility with great amenities and excellent restaurant. Many boomers will do the same thing. With investments and profits off the sale of our homes many will have savings of 2 to 3 million at age 80 to 85 along with pensions and SS resulting in annual incomes of $200,000 to $500,000 per year. I expect to see a continuing increase in luxury retirement facilities to capture this market.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:01:17 PM EDT
[#40]

I think you are exactly right..........Our plan is to sell in six years and move in to a very nice retirement facility with great amenities and excellent restaurant. Many boomers will do the same thing. With investments and profits off the sale of our homes many will have savings of 2 to 3 million at age 80 to 85 along with pensions and SS resulting in annual incomes of $200,000 to $500,000 per year. I expect see a continuing increase in luxury retirement facilities to capture this market.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AJ_Dual:
@Rocky41

It WILL change. The market demand, besides artificial scarcity because municipalities that aren't really geographically bound by water/mountains play constant fuck-fuck games with their zoning authority.

A toxic stew of perpetually trying to maximize property tax income, but minimize anything that consumes city services. And favoritism, patronage, payback, and punishment. Plus, whatever NIMBY-bitching they actually respond to by their AWFUL/Karen constituents.

But, either way, as Boomer deaths and nursing home admissions rise and single family homes vacate, Gen-X isn't big enough to buy all the homes, and Gen-X is moving into empty-nester territory itself too... supply will go up.

Millennials are a bigger cohort than Gen-X but not bigger than Boomers, much less Boomers & X combined. Zoomers, even smaller.

Blackrock buying all those houses? Somebody has to buy or rent them, eventually, or they'll lose their shirt.

The house may have been vacant for 5+ years, the copper is all gone, and the lawn is 3 feet high... and figuring out what bank or municipality holds the deed might be difficult at first, but, the supply will be up.

Add to that, whatever economic pressures are slowing home buying or mortgages. Because the economy, cities, infrastructure, utilities... all of it grows to meet demands, but there is no formal mechanism to contract it all as the population shrinks.

And, unless complete political mayhem happens, say something like Democrat single-party control over the whole US, etc. The flood of illegals, for better or worse, barely holds the  population of the US level now. And unless it gets even bigger, it won't compensate for the shrink soon.

A pyrrhic victory, either way.

And, illegals can't fill the market niches that are key points in things like mortgages, and certain jobs. Their anchor babies might... but not them.

And, American economic contraction from demographic decline may reduce economic incentives to come here. And, improvements abroad in 3rd & second world nations, in economic conditions, and in political violence/crime could stop pushing them here. And the improvements at home, those will also lower the birth rates and reduce the supply able to try and come here.

The "housing crunch" will end. Either just prices flattening, as wages/inflation catches up. A dramatic shrink in demand. Or a glut of supply, even if it looks kinda like Detroit, and the houses are $1 city deeds with a contractual obligation to remodel the property.

If anybody wants to cash out, plan accordingly.

I think you are exactly right..........Our plan is to sell in six years and move in to a very nice retirement facility with great amenities and excellent restaurant. Many boomers will do the same thing. With investments and profits off the sale of our homes many will have savings of 2 to 3 million at age 80 to 85 along with pensions and SS resulting in annual incomes of $200,000 to $500,000 per year. I expect see a continuing increase in luxury retirement facilities to capture this market.

Multi-phase "senior living communities" are going up like weeds around my folks in Saint Louis. The Boomers and their retirement duckets are a nice market that more than a few developers seem keen on tapping into.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Tactical_Jew:
You boomers are the problem why these kids can’t buy a house these days. Stop bragging about what you have and what they dont have!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bandhunter] [#42]
Been browsing an area where the Median house value is 150k.  Cheapest houses for sale that aren’t falling down are 350k+.   The majority are between 500k and 1.2 million.  These are 3 and 4 bedroom homes less 2500 square foot.

Your in top 6 percent of all US house hold earners once you are in the 240-250k range.  So who can afford these houses?  95 percent can’t.  So what is going on?
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#43]
The more interesting thing to me is my house is continuing to go up
(2.3% in the last 30 days)
I was told there was going to be a crash
WHERE'S MY CRASH DAMMIT
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:06:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
All I have to do is stop eating avocado toast to afford a house in today's market.
View Quote

And the $8 Starbucks drink on the way to work and on the way home from work
The $32 doordash lunch at work every day
The $800 car payment
The $6,500 trip to see Taylor Swift in concert
The $5,000 beach trip 2 times every summer
The $12,000 trip to Disney World
The new $1,500 iPhone and $400 apple watch every year
The $20,000 worth of designer clothes that barely get worn once

Seriously I have acquaintances my age who complain about "boomers pricing them out of the housing market"

But their "budget" looks like the list above, and they wonder why they never have any money

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:09:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ranging-by-zipcode] [#45]
Originally Posted By Bandhunter:
Been browsing an area where the Median house value is 150k.  Cheapest houses for sale that aren’t falling down are 350k+.   The majority are between 500k and 1.2 million.  These are 3 and 4 bedroom homes less 2500 square foot.

Your in top 6 percent of all US house hold earners once you are in the 240-250k range.  So who can afford these houses?  95 percent can’t.  So what is going on?
View Quote

It's two incomes families

If you make lets say 90 K and your wife makes 50 K  which isn't unrealistic for an income they will  be approved for a mortgage  .

Most retirement people aren't looking for 2500 to 3000 sq ft home.

I know I'm not .. location matters much more

ETA

single guys have it rough buying a home
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:09:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Hyperinflation has hit the real estate market.

What happens next is anyone's guess.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:11:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By LRShooter:
Went under contract for the place I'm in 48 months ago @ $550K.  Zillow has it at $886K.  That averages out to $7,000 a month in price appreciation.  

It doesn't matter though, in fact hurts.  Property taxes have also gone from $3100 to $3950 a year.  Back in 2020 Allstate wanted $1200 a year to insure.  The next year they wanted $1800.  We switched to another company that's back down around $1300.  Expecting an increase this summer we checked with Allstate again.  They want $3800 now.
View Quote

Feel good about that brother

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Haven't checked it. All that's pertinent for me at this point is what the County assessment comes to.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:12:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cavedog] [#49]
Originally Posted By PR361:
The dark side of this, in Florida, is property taxes are limited by statute to 3mills a year increase, which is great, I’m still paying taxes on a 130k house thats valued at 350.

The downside is that people like my brother, who is retired with some decent money, would like to sell his house and buy waterfront to live out his days, but his tax burden would triple, a sale ends the tax restrictions.

Same for my 87yo mother, who has been in her 2000sf house for 40 years. She would like to downsize to a retirement community, but her tax burden would quadruple even with a smaller house.

So we are all stuck where we are, unless we can afford a huge jump in property taxes.
View Quote

SOH can be transfered.

https://floridabeginner.com/how-florida-homestead-portability-works/
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By JeepersCreepers:

And the $8 Starbucks drink on the way to work and on the way home from work
The $32 doordash lunch at work every day
The $800 car payment
The $6,500 trip to see Taylor Swift in concert
The $5,000 beach trip 2 times every summer
The $12,000 trip to Disney World
The new $1,500 iPhone and $400 apple watch every year
The $20,000 worth of designer clothes that barely get worn once

Seriously I have acquaintances my age who complain about "boomers pricing them out of the housing market"

But their "budget" looks like the list above, and they wonder why they never have any money

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Page / 7
Top Top