Thread fail.
View Quote

This

Learned those skills from my father a long time ago

Now passing it on to my children
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:
Plumbers get a pass for charging $4000 to replace a $900 water heater.

General contractors get a pass for charging $87,000 for a simple bathroom remodel.

Why do mechanics get shit on when they charge $500 for brake jobs?

That shop bill isn't cheap.  The shop equipment is insanely expensive.  It costs a shop many $1000's per month, just in subscription fees for spotty "OE  support" with multiple scan tools to enable programming, etc.

The parts mark-up isn't anything close to the HVAC guy's 900% mark-up on a compressor capacitor.

View Quote

I’ll explain it for you if you care to listen:   Because they Lie.    The service writers Lie.   The mechanics Lie.   An honest mechanic is easily worth $120 an hour or more.    But don’t Lie, just to maximize your pay.

Comparing yourself to HVAC workers is a bad look.  They are often even worse than mechanics.   Government mandates make everything worse of course.  

I’d love to find one trustworthy and capable Air Conditioning, plumber and mechanic, but they are like unicorns.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Staggunner:
Everybody in the trades think they should get paid like doctors.  And they do.  

You can't blame them.  Idiots and the hapless abound.
View Quote

We’ve had a number of threads on this.    Pretty common for Mechanics to make $250,000 and more.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:25:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

We’ve had a number of threads on this.    Pretty common for Mechanics to make $250,000 and more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Where? Pay has certainly gone up but I don't think I know any mechanic making that kind of money. Maybe the shop owner but that's with a ton of investment in the business before reaching that level.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:28:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#6]
A good honest one is worth hundreds an hour to me, I'd rather pay alot up front and be done than pay some hack to shotgun parts at it.

It's a tough business/career thus why so few really thrive in it.

Also "I could do it but don't have time" says the guy that stands there and watches the entire repair.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:30:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SleepingBirdDog] [#7]
My daughter was home over winter break and said the brakes were squeaking and I noticed the muffler hanger bracket was broken at the weld and needed to be rewelded.

My regular guy retired last year so I went to the place that opened up in his old shop. Brakes are easy but my garage is not heated and I don’t own a welder and haven’t welded in forever.

Told them look at the front brakes and weld up the bracket and while it’s in the air change the oil. I get a call later that day and they said: front brakes, rear brakes, shocks, struts, o2 sensor, and crossover pipe all needed replacement.

Fuck you, give me the car back. I allowed them to weld the bracket and change the oil.

I changed the front brakes, my daughter learned how as she helped. I also showed her how to inspect the rear drums, check the struts and shocks and what to look for on the rest of the shops list.

I have no problem with a $500 per axle brake job but don’t try to bullshit me.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:31:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#8]
Originally Posted By anbbna:
Oh yeah I did cabin and engine air filters in about 3 min a vehicle for less than the mechanic cost of a cabin filter
View Quote

I swear, the local Ford Quick Lane part of the service department hires strippers to come out and sit next to the customer to ask if you would like to buy the lady a drink have your air cabin filter replaced " it's free! We only charge $90 for the filter. You have to remove half your dash board to get to it"

I asked the last one if she kissed her mother with that filthy lying mouth
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Surprised there isn't a thread about people asking to borrow tools, and their reaction when they are told "NO".

Let alone asking for free diagnostic advice which my response has changed from "it sounds like XXX" to "something is fucked, better take it to a shop".
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:39:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#10]
Originally Posted By gtofan:
Shop prices/hourly shop rate went full stupid 10 years ago, it's just 1.5X full stupid.

I'm not paying someone to change my brakes, $1000 to.change power steering lines, $1500 for a water pump and coolant flush.

Other people might want to, but not on a vehicle with high depreciating value.

Book time and labor rates are absurd, same goes for other trades. Inflation, salaries, wages, labor rates, parts prices are grossly out of whack.
View Quote

Open your own place then. I'm sure You'll make millions and attract only the best techs by charging 1998 prices.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#11]
The obvious upselling on the part of the service writer, often with the collaboration of the “technician” is why nobody trusts dealerships.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:43:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#13]
5000.00 for a set of head gaskets seems a bit high I think.  99 Ford  5.4
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:46:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By merick:
Because the p0446 is still on even after I paid to swap the solenoid, vent, pressure sensor, charcoal cannister, and gas cap.
View Quote

That's because they needed to find the EVAP line leak.

Same for P0171, you don't need a new HO2S for that code.  The sensor is working and trying to tell you there is an intake or exhaust leak somewhere.  The famous sensor upsell for the"free" scan at the AutoZone.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:

What? Are you a chick waiting to get pregnant?

I thought all graphic designers were wimmenz waiting for their MRS degree. Then they quit and drive Volvos to soccer practice full time
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

Ohh. No doubt. Those poor people work for free at their MAIN job.

What? Are you a chick waiting to get pregnant?

I thought all graphic designers were wimmenz waiting for their MRS degree. Then they quit and drive Volvos to soccer practice full time

Lol… nope, some of us are hard working - men even! - conservatives who pay their school loans and love their wives.

Maybe not many of us out there but we exist. And until the IRS, mortgage company and grocery store accept “exposure” for payment, I can’t accept it either.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
I find it funny that some people think they are special for being asked for help.  It literally happens to everyone who has a job that pays more than minimum wage.

I am happy to help friends and family when they have a problem related to what I do as an occupation.  My sister actually called me a few hours ago with a problem related to my desk job.
View Quote

I'm the same way. You ever want a man cave look me up.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll tell you why, its because some shops will give discounts, or take in customer parts, or whatever bullshit.

as a trade its a bad habit, not to mention a terrible decision as an individual.

Their problem is not your problem, and people who ask for that kind of shit are doing so because they have a problem and will make it your problem.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MK3110:
Why do auto mechanics want to charge $70 to open a cabin air filter box and replace the one they’ve already removed?
View Quote

I always laugh at that one. You’ve done the work, it’s out, toss a new one in there and charge me the $14 it cost for the filter.

Silliness.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By usmcdean:
hhhaahaahaaa! Try spending 13-14 years being a gunsmith! "Wow, that much? I saw a youtube video and it looks easy." Glad I left the biz. No one, and I mean no fucking one is a bigger squeak than the average gun owner.
View Quote
Just look at all the cheapskates here on ARFCOM .
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Because remodels and plumbing generally tend to have a wealthier client base on average.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:

You paid a plumber to run air lines and an electrician thousands to do the electric for the air compressor? Then $14k on a lift? All to save 3 minutes on a brake job?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BobbyHill:

But you're good with the $3000 water heater job that you could install yourself for $900 all in?  Fuck it. Go get some jack stands and a jack from harbor freight.  

Oh, you're doing rear pads?  That requires at least some kind of scan tool that can retract the calipers. What's that cost?  Say Autel?  The cheapest of the cheap.  $1500, min.  Oh, we can get it done for you in a few hours because we have a $14,000 hoist so we don't have to drag a harbor freight floor jack across the shop.  

I thought it would be easier to use an air compressor...that requires a plumber to run the air lines from the compressor to the shop.  Oh, I had to pay the electrician another few thou to wire up that air compressor and the rest of the shop.  

I loves telling clients like you to DIY and good luck.

You drive a 70 Camaro or 2014 Camry?  Then why are you commenting in the post?

You paid a plumber to run air lines and an electrician thousands to do the electric for the air compressor? Then $14k on a lift? All to save 3 minutes on a brake job?
No shit OP lost me here what kinda mechanic can hookup a air compressor and run air lines
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
I do my own mechanic work.

I do my own remodels.

I do my own plumbing.

I do my own HVAC.

Thread fail.
View Quote

Are you saying that people are bitching about what OP is saying they are bitching about is... because they could do it themselves for free, so why should they have to pay someone? That seems to be what you are arguing in your case.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By 69rrdriver:

Where? Pay has certainly gone up but I don't think I know any mechanic making that kind of money. Maybe the shop owner but that's with a ton of investment in the business before reaching that level.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 69rrdriver:

Numerous threads.   What would you say the average and maximum pay is, for an experienced motivated mechanic at a busy high end shop?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:53:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#25]
Plumbers get a pass for charging $4000 to replace a $900 water heater.

General contractors get a pass for charging $87,000 for a simple bathroom remodel.

Why do mechanics get shit on when they charge $500 for brake jobs?

That shop bill isn't cheap.  The shop equipment is insanely expensive.  It costs a shop many $1000's per month, just in subscription fees for spotty "OE  support" with multiple scan tools to enable programming, etc.

The parts mark-up isn't anything close to the HVAC guy's 900% mark-up on a compressor capacitor.

View Quote

Not at my house. I do that shit myself, only exceptions are things I’m simply unable to physically do, pulling transmissions and engines and electronics are my weaknesses, but I’ll tackle about anything else, parts replacements, diagnostic, tires, bearings, axles, fabrication, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, roofing, fencing, concrete, block, brick, retaining walls, drain tile, landscaping, etc. most things are not complicated, just takes some time and effort to try.

Water heater broke 2 years after buying our house, $600.00 I bought a new one, new floor pan and had it installed myself 4 hours including diagnosing it was broke, going and buying the new one and bringing it home , removing old one, and installing new one.  Later built my own 14x30 garage addition , poured the floor, built walls, ran electric, installed mini split, built a man cave out of it,  poured my own slab and built a gazebo for the hot tub, installed mini splits, plumbing and auto repairs.  I recently replaced all the wheel bearings in the car, brakes are next, working on mowers currently replacing belts making adjustments, welded a broken bracket yesterday etc, oil changes.

Working on installing whole house generator next, including wiring it into the house, might have to hire a actual electrician for part of this as my power meter is right beside my garage panel / power line that leads to the house 30 yards away and that’s right where the transfer box needs to go , lots of big cables in a small area and that’s a bit more than I’m comfortable with, so I’ll have to actually hire someone for that. Hopefully I can find a decent electrician, or a arfcom bro who is capable and hiring them.

Generally , I did / do it myself, because  we couldn’t afford to hire someone to do those things and doing it myself saved huge money, and allowed us to accomplish much, much more on our budget, but m getting older, and better set financially, so in future be paying more often, but won’t be because I don’t know how to do it, just getting too old to do everything like I used too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By smashedminer:
View Quote

having no idea what it costs for that job.

there's two reasons a quote will seem high.

either, they don't want to work on your vehicle, or they know getting involved into a job like that is not going to be as simple as you think.

People often assume that because a vehicle is older its going to be cheaper to fix... news flash, its not, often its full of pitfalls and boobie traps of corrosion and people who did shit work previously and now you have to unfuck that as well.

so, I'm quoting really high.. cause in that same time I could make more doing brakes, services, ect. remember, its a business.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#27]
But I'm on a fixed income.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FGracing:
Back in the day when I opened my first shop I got some great advice from a friend's father.

It may take you 1/2 of the book time to do a job, you can do that because of your years of experience. You're not getting paid for your time necessarily, you're getting paid for your experience.
View Quote

That's a comfortable rationalization - however most people would think it more reasonable to set the rate accordingly rather than use a dishonest manipulated hourly model.

If you use that vast experience only to make more profit on the jobs without passing some of the benefit on to the customer don't be surprised when they take the work to someone else to save $2.

Commit to an equal or lower estimate with a better warranty -based on your higher hourly rate- and I'll believe you believe you're better and "worth more".  

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Devil's Advocate.  Let's take out the idea that they were trying to rip you off and sell you something you didn't need.  I wasn't there so I dunno.

"Mr. BirdDog, while we had your car on the lift, we did a general inspection and noticed your rear brakes are a little low as well, and saw that the shocks and struts were original, they look about 6-7-8-whatever years old.  Also we noted that the exhaust crossover pipe was rusted/cracked/leaking/broken/stolen/missing/gone, we went ahead and quoted you a new O2 sensor with it just in case the old sensor seizes up in that pipe and we can't get it out and moved over to the new pipe.  Your total for all this is 'x,' and we should be able to get this all done by Tuesday afternoon."

"zomgwtfbbq you're raping me don't fix shit you fucking crook fuck you how do you sleep at night?!?!?!!?!!!1111!"

So they do what's requested.

What if...some of that stuff did need to be done?  Maybe not right away, but maybe it is stuff that does eventually need to be taken care of?

Inspecting a car and quoting repairs is like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for most shops.  

Do an inspection along with whatever was originally requested, write up and quote some repairs, you're a crook and liar and should be ashamed of yourself, you need Jesus in your life!

Do exactly what the customer asks and don't check shit.  Change the oil, weld up the bracket.  Car goes 152 miles down the road a week later a ball joint comes out of a socket.  The shop either missed it completely and they're incompetent and by god they're going to fix this for free, or they must have sabotaged the joint because they're crooks, amirite?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SleepingBirdDog:
My daughter was home over winter break and said he brakes were squeaking and I noticed the muffler hanger bracket was broken at the weld and needed to be rewelded.

My regular guy retired last year so I went to the place that opened up in his old shop. Brakes are easy but my garage is not heated and I don't own a welder and haven't welded in forever.

Told them look at the front brakes and weld up the bracket and while it's in the air change the oil. I get a call later that day and they said: front brakes, rear brakes, shocks, struts, o2 sensor, and crossover pipe all needed replacement.

Fuck you, give me the car back. I allowed them to weld the bracket and change the oil.

I changed the brakes, my daughter learned how as she helped. I also showed her how to inspect the rear drums, check the struts and shocks and what to look for on the rear of the shops list.

I have no problem with a $500 per axle brake job but don't try to bullshit me.
Devil's Advocate.  Let's take out the idea that they were trying to rip you off and sell you something you didn't need.  I wasn't there so I dunno.

"Mr. BirdDog, while we had your car on the lift, we did a general inspection and noticed your rear brakes are a little low as well, and saw that the shocks and struts were original, they look about 6-7-8-whatever years old.  Also we noted that the exhaust crossover pipe was rusted/cracked/leaking/broken/stolen/missing/gone, we went ahead and quoted you a new O2 sensor with it just in case the old sensor seizes up in that pipe and we can't get it out and moved over to the new pipe.  Your total for all this is 'x,' and we should be able to get this all done by Tuesday afternoon."

"zomgwtfbbq you're raping me don't fix shit you fucking crook fuck you how do you sleep at night?!?!?!!?!!!1111!"

So they do what's requested.

What if...some of that stuff did need to be done?  Maybe not right away, but maybe it is stuff that does eventually need to be taken care of?

Inspecting a car and quoting repairs is like a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation for most shops.  

Do an inspection along with whatever was originally requested, write up and quote some repairs, you're a crook and liar and should be ashamed of yourself, you need Jesus in your life!

Do exactly what the customer asks and don't check shit.  Change the oil, weld up the bracket.  Car goes 152 miles down the road a week later a ball joint comes out of a socket.  The shop either missed it completely and they're incompetent and by god they're going to fix this for free, or they must have sabotaged the joint because they're crooks, amirite?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

So lead with: the cost to do the requested work is ‘x’. We would also recommend that the following items be addressed for ‘y’. Not it’s gonna be 4 big ones to do all of this shit you need done right now!

They were bullshitting me.  The rear brakes had been done the previous year by to old shop and had maybe 5k miles on them.  I used it as a teaching experience to show my girl how to check not only shoe life but how to check the brake cylinders, self adjusters, etc. There was no crack in the crossover pipe and the o2 sensor is working perfectly.  The last 30 years I’ve spent as a low voltage electrician but my degree is in aviation and I’m a licensed airframe and power plant mechanic. I know how to wrench, just don’t enjoy it anymore.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:03:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

either, they don't want to work on your vehicle, or they know getting involved into a job like that is not going to be as simple as you think.

People often assume that because a vehicle is older its going to be cheaper to fix... news flash, its not, often its full of pitfalls and boobie traps of corrosion and people who did shit work previously and now you have to unfuck that as well.

so, I'm quoting really high.. cause in that same time I could make more doing brakes, services, ect. remember, its a business.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
Originally Posted By smashedminer:

It would be far more honest to just say : That looks like it could get very involved; sorry, but I’d rather just do simple $500 rear brake jobs on late model Hondas.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:03:44 AM EDT
[#33]
The last shop I went too wanted to charge me close to $1k to change the brake pads and rotors on the rear only on my F150. I bought high quality parts and did it myself for about $250 in two hours. I get that shops have overhead, insurance, etc. A thousand dollars for just the rear brakes is insane though. This is a shop that I've used a fair bit in the past and this is the first time I've balked at their rates.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:08:28 AM EDT
[#34]

Numerous threads.   What would you say the average and maximum pay is, for an experienced motivated mechanic at a busy high end shop?
View Quote

All due respect the people working on those very high end cars are few and far between. And I've known a few. You're talking about the top .1% as though that was the norm. Average pay for an A mechanic is probably 100-150k and I'd figure that's in a high col area. Nationwide top 10% of mechanics salary is 68k. I'm in the top 1% and even with my benefits which are numerous and generous,  my total compensation doesn't hit that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:10:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hillbilly62:

You mean the $349 office visits just to have you come back in a month. Health care is the biggest ripoff.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hillbilly62:
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Same reason people expect medical professionals to work for cheap?

You mean the $349 office visits just to have you come back in a month. Health care is the biggest ripoff.

I rest my case.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#36]
got a few quotes on replacing the AC compressor on my expedition, $1500ish

it's about a $350 part and i've got a full bottle of r134 and a lift

i haven't made my mind up yet, it's way down there in "do i really want to fuck with that?" land

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I Have "a guy" who does damn fine work when its either beyond my knowledge or capabilities to perform.

He has very reasonable prices and will do "custom" work if I pay him +10% hourly. I needed a back cat removed and installed a cherry bomb exhaust. He welds like a fucking pro and it looks factory when he is done.

I will cry when he retires.

He only takes clients by referrals and does not advertise. He has 4 full time guys and they are always busy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:17:19 AM EDT
[#38]

It would be far more honest to just say : That looks like it could get very involved; sorry, but I’d rather just do simple $500 rear brake jobs on late model Hondas.
View Quote

Its not dishonest, its a simplified version of the truth... people get pretty defensive over their piles of junk, when you straight up tell someone I'm declining the opportunity to work on your vehicle, they can't take it, they freak out, they start yelling, they get all huffy. If you say, its going to be very expensive, they say.. oh, ok and either take it somewhere else, or make it worth your time.

since myself, nor anyone else in this field wants to have a overgrown adult crybaby pitching a fucking fit because they don't like the truth... we give them the decision to either go away or make it worth our time.

and trust me when I say this is something all of us do, because all of us at somepoint have seen all the signs and tried to just say "not worth it" and have had people just fucking wig out because they didn't want to hear that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#39]
I can (usually) tell how serious a person/people are when I go through the engagement letter.  I have set fees for certain things and if they bitch about those, they are free to find someone else.  No, I honestly can't spend 4 hours meeting you, collecting all your beneficiary and executor/trix information, track all the properties you own, and prepare the documents you need for $50.   BUT they can do it that cheap online.....SO--please do it online and then when it is totally fucked up, I will bill $350/hour to fix it, or take a percentage of what you did wrong.  I have made more money fixing will and trusts that are bad than I ever got paid for doing them.  It also helps to weed them out when you quote them $750 for office work prepping their case, $1000/hour for in-court, and $1500/trial.  THAT will separate the wheat from the chaff....Some folks just do not realize that when you spend 30+ years building your reputation and knowledge, have a staff to pay, rent or mortgage to pay (or spent time paying off) utilities, insurance, etc---shit just can't be free.   And I feel the pain of others about the late night phone calls, requests for free advice, etc.....The kicker for me was getting a notice of investigations from Columbus--turned out a guy who came in fishing, did not take my "Free" advice, was sent a letter saying I was not representing as he declined my services--in writing--had EXACTLY what I told him would happen to him if he did not do what I said.  You can't MAKE a client listen to you , the guy never WAS a client , and somehow he wants me on the hook for his poor life choices.....??  Sorry for the vent. lol!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:30:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#40]
Lol, it's certainly not limited to mechanics.

I just want an honest quote.  The price isn't the problem, the bullshit is.

Don't quote me a brake job when it's not necessary.  Don't tell me my six month old tires need replaced or that I need to pay you $100 for a cabin filter change every 5k miles.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:
got a few quotes on replacing the AC compressor on my expedition, $1500ish

it's about a $350 part and i've got a full bottle of r134 and a lift

i haven't made my mind up yet, it's way down there in "do i really want to fuck with that?" land

View Quote

Now...when that old compressor went bad it probably grenaded into the eeentire system so ima gonna hafta vacuum out that WHOLE system, then that thar freon cost almost a thousand dollars a pound you know. And yo BUY it you first gotta pass a test that's harder than the bar exam, AND THEN you gotta go buy a recovery machine that costs about FOURT-TEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, THEN you can buy yer own freon"
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mechanical_Magician:

There has been a trend the last few years of the labor guide times being manipulated down due to auto insurance basically owning the collision industry, which trickles down to the same labor guide independent shops use.

I look up jobs billed 6 years ago and now that same job pays .3 less. Plus those guidelines are also based on new cars and do not account for corrosion.

Every industry operates on profit margin. But everyone complains when the automotive repair industry attempts to make the same margin.

The "fix this car that is driven at 80mph as cheap as possible" bullshit does not fly in other repair industries, like plumbing, HVAC, electrical repair, or aircraft maintenance and repair. Makes no sense to me why people want us to repair things in a way that would put countless people at risk and get pissed when we refuse to do so.

Also parts cost has inflated 30 to 50 % in some cases from what they cost us just 3 years ago and labor costs have increased by at least 30% in the same timeframe.

Tools also have gone up tremendously. 13k for a fully functional scanner, I have 4 of them. 12k per lift, got 6 of those. 9k for that 1234yf ac machine. 85k for an alignment rack. The same set of sockets that cost $125 10 years ago now cost 3-400 dollars for one rail.

Taxes have increased, as have business license fees, utilities and insurance.

People come in and tell me YouTube says it takes 11 minutes and that's all it should cost, oh and you better fucking give me the part for that online price that's below my actual cost.

Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.
View Quote

That sucks.  Do you guys have an fed agency that also randomly, and usually wrong, predict things like an extra 20millon acres expected to be planted?  Cause I do and that beats the shit out of commodity prices, and then later when they make a "correction" it's too late and the damage to price has already happened.  My favorite is getting surveyed for on farm grain storage amounts and them admitting they add 10-25% to those numbers to account for "underestimates" from farmers.   Yeah right, moreso they can inflate surplus/carryover to manipulate market down so e'ryone has cheaper groceries.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Yeah - I was quoted $1,100 to change plugs and 2 coils.

$300, a 6 pack of been and 1.5 hours later, it was done.

I used mechanics for stuff, but "book time" is an utter scam.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#44]
I think most six-digit-plus light duty auto techs either work for very high volume brands in big cities and they work themselves to death, high end luxury brands in big cities, or they're crooks.

Medium/heavy duty is a different story, different clientele, different business.  $100K+ is not unusual IMO for a skilled medium or heavy duty tech working on on/off road diesel, locomotive, marine or power generation stuff.
View Quote

I'm a six digit fleet tech so I'm familiar with the industry. The poster I replied to said 250k was normal for mechanics which I know not to be the case.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:36:49 AM EDT
[#45]
Most people have no idea the costs involved to run an auto repair business.   The insurance, tools, computers, software licenses, equipment etc add up.   Training, blew almost $3k a n march going to KC for training to try and stay with technology.   Customer wants a new smart key for their car.   Sure I can do that,  but it’s going to be $500, and you hear the crying.  Costs money to have the tooling to do theft system work and to have OE access to security systems.  Need a particular job performed and you saw online it calls for 1hr to do.  Cute story bro.   That’s a guide not a bible and for a new vehicle.  Yours is rusty and old.   Yeah it’s rampant in all the trades both fraudulent work and customers whining.   The ones that ask me to do work rarely complain as they see what they’ve paid for.   Many times it’s other shops that I’m bailing out of a jam.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:39:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Reading some of these prices is strange, new tech costs more, old stuff I worked on is so much easier generally, even without manuals,parts or time guides
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:43:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Because you scam women & elderly who need their cars serviced.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Bigtwinlvr:  Many times it’s other shops that I’m bailing out of a jam.
View Quote

Yep big time.

but I'm just about done with bodyshops, partially due to insurance companies.

installing DEPO crap parts.

"We can't program the headlight on this S8"

yeah, the cheap shit knock off headlight is not programable. here's the cost for a OE headlight.

then they act like I'm the asshole.... I simply can't make the unworkable part work to meet what the insurance co gave you.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#50]

Now...when that old compressor went bad it probably grenaded into the eeentire system so ima gonna hafta vacuum out that WHOLE system, then that thar freon cost almost a thousand dollars a pound you know. And yo BUY it you first gotta pass a test that's harder than the bar exam, AND THEN you gotta go buy a recovery machine that costs about FOURT-TEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS, THEN you can buy yer own freon"
View Quote

Not me.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 7
Top Top