Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm probably going to catch hell for this but marking up the price of parts is bullshit. If my mechanic and myself can get the same Napa part for $150 then don't charge me $300 for the damn thing. Charge $150 with maybe a $30 delivery fee. If you're a great mechanic and a great shop I'd gladly pay a labor rate of $150-$175 an hour. Am I wrong dude? Am I wrong???
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:03:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mr_o:
I'm probably going to catch hell for this but marking up the price of parts is bullshit. If my mechanic and myself can get the same Napa part for $150 then don't charge me $300 for the damn thing. Charge $150 with maybe a $30 delivery fee. If you're a great mechanic and a great shop I'd gladly pay a labor rate of $150-$175 an hour. Am I wrong dude? Am I wrong???
View Quote

Part of the profit incentive with shops, a lot of them take it to the extreme, can’t stand shops that get the cheapest part then charge for premium parts, happens a lot because most people don’t know
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By thedave1164:

Well assuming it is an F-150 it calls for 16.5 hours labor, and that is if everything is pristine, then you will have to replace the intake manifold if it has never been replaced, they are notorious for crossover pipe coolant leaks. THen if there are any blown out spark plug holes, and machining the surface of the heads, gaskets, fluids.

Not sure what the labor rate is where you are, but without running all the numbers I would probably be between $4-5K for the whole job.

Lots of stuff can break coming apart on that year 5.4 and would have to be replaced, and you don't want aftermarket on it if you are planning on keeping it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thedave1164:
Originally Posted By smashedminer:
5000.00 for a set of head gaskets seems a bit high I think.  99 Ford  5.4

Well assuming it is an F-150 it calls for 16.5 hours labor, and that is if everything is pristine, then you will have to replace the intake manifold if it has never been replaced, they are notorious for crossover pipe coolant leaks. THen if there are any blown out spark plug holes, and machining the surface of the heads, gaskets, fluids.

Not sure what the labor rate is where you are, but without running all the numbers I would probably be between $4-5K for the whole job.

Lots of stuff can break coming apart on that year 5.4 and would have to be replaced, and you don't want aftermarket on it if you are planning on keeping it.

It's an Expedition,  plugs and coil packs I've replaced.  
    Thing ran good but I noticed what I think is head gasket bars leak or something in the plug wells of the driver side first two plugs.  
  I cleaned them out before replacing plugs and got a miss later and checked those plugs and I'm getting coolant in them.  
    Previous owner stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:05:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#4]
I do some of my own repairs. I don't dare do internal engine and transmission repairs. No offense, It isn't that I think you should work for free. I'm sure you think you are worth it. I just can't put my house up for sale to make the first payment.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

We sell at retail price but buy the parts at a discount.

I have actually seen dealers mark up their own parts before, to your point.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]
The kid that mows our lawn at the shop gets more per hour than I get on a $250k machine
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AgeOne:

Its more complex than that. Its a feast or famine business. just part of the deal.

Flatrate not only motivates during busy times, it helps scale during slow times, and it fits every tech into their own levels of skill and motivation.

the world is not perfect, an "imperfect" system is going to fit that imperfect world better than a rigid system that requires a higher level of stability.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AgeOne:
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

I’d argue fleet requires even more flexibility.

Working on doing an in frame, then swapping to fixing a light or air leak, to doing a manual regen that comes in, oh shit grab a tire for an emergency road call.

You can’t just stay on 1 or 2 projects. Limited shop space.  You’re bouncing around a lot more.

Either way, I see flat rate as a motivator for normal shops, yes. In an ideal world, that motivation wouldn’t be needed.  But, the world isn’t ideal.

Its more complex than that. Its a feast or famine business. just part of the deal.

Flatrate not only motivates during busy times, it helps scale during slow times, and it fits every tech into their own levels of skill and motivation.

the world is not perfect, an "imperfect" system is going to fit that imperfect world better than a rigid system that requires a higher level of stability.

I’m sure it is more complex.  I’ve just heard too much bad about it from otherwise extremely talented technicians. Particularly about service managers screwing them and such.  My head mechanic could rebuild a Detroit DD13 or any series 60 engine in under 30 hours. Book time is right around 40.  

When he worked at his last job, he was hired to do engines.  Then the service manager left. And he got fucked into doing electrical diagnostics. Which is a nightmare that doesn’t pay anything for book rate.

I just don’t like the idea of personal politics getting in the way of pay.  He’s on salary now and fairly, happy.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:08:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#8]
I think there is the thought they have the proper tools and can do it quickly.

But in my experience their quickness shows lack of care for the vehicle and has resulted in damages to paint and wheels. IE, OEM battery is shot, it's under warranted and the replacement is $350. Get it back and find those assholes rested the battery on the bumper and left a nice gouge.

You would think for the rates they charge, they wouldn't be so quick and careless.

I know they all lie, but I've had a dealer try to do a $3000 break job over someone mistyping a number into their tablet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:08:58 AM EDT
[#9]
huh? i expect mechanics to send me a bill for me even asking what time i can bring my car in....

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Why do gougers always feel set upon when people call them on it. Some auto mechanics are honest and some aren't, just like all the trades OP listed. People create threads when they are pissed because they just dealt with a scumbag.

I expect parts markup and healthy labor costs. I don't expect exponential costs increases above what is reasonable. MY HVAC people are usually pretty good, but I have 3 contactors that need replaced, the parts cost about $100 bucks if I buy them, and their labor should be around 80 to 120 per hour in my area. Job should only take an hour but lets give 2 hours and 100% markup on parts, and the cost is max $440. Hell I would even pay $500. They quoted me $1700, which is scumbag territory and is making me rethink who I use for my next HVAC system replacement.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

Depends, if it's invoiced work, why would you buy parts then wait 30 days to get your money back for free?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:16:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Underaid702] [#12]
5 pages of people defending why they should get shit done for free while also agreeing with OP

lmao

ETA:

People really think tools and time and perfection are free.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]

You clearly do not understand how businesses work.

But cool. You do you on your Odyssey.
View Quote

You got me there...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#14]
The $600 per axle brake job and $1k quote for a wheel bearing job on a FWD car was enough to get me to break out the tools.  I don’t enjoy wrenching like I used to, but fuck those prices.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#15]
Originally Posted By 69rrdriver:

How many rear brake jobs have you done on cars with an electronic parking brake?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By aod886:
Originally Posted By DayandNight1701:

Oh, you're doing rear pads?  That requires at least some kind of scan tool that can retract the calipers. What's that cost?  Say Autel?  The cheapest of the cheap.  $1500, min.  Oh, we can get it done for you in a few hours because we have a $14,000 hoist so we don't have to drag a harbor freight floor jack across the shop.  

And there it is!

You don't need an expensive "scan tool" to change rear pads.

How many rear brake jobs have you done on cars with an electronic parking brake?

On a BMW it was easy, just put it in neutral while lifted. I believe that's what we did. Actually it may had to be put in drive. The X7 doesn't move until you actually press the Gas.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

The labor rate in the business model you describe would be well over $200 per book hour. Every business you have ever dealt with marks up cogs. Almost everyone in this thread has no idea the cost to run a good shop. Real estate costs where you can run a shop are astronomical. Insurance costs are up. Good mechanics want to be paid like the professionals we are. Tool costs are through the roof. Every year new tech comes out that we are expected to learn and fix. Parts quality and availability had gotten ridiculous. Jobs have to be warrantied. Environmental regulations are added to every year. And I'm probably not mentioning half of what's required to run a good, profitable business.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#17]

You got me there...
View All Quotes

You clearly do not understand how businesses work.

But cool. You do you on your Odyssey.

You got me there...

So, mind you my shop is simply for my fleet. But let’s hypothetically say it was a public shop. Not private fleet.

I employ 8 mechanics and a clerk.  The building let’s say, costs ~1.5 million dollars.  I have 3 lifts, let’s say $60,000.  Beyond their own tools, I have another $300,000 in shop tools.  From king pin presses, to diagnostic tools and software, to transmission stands, to a gantry crane to pull engines.  

I have electric, water, gas bills, and of course labor to pay for.  And I have to make money.

So even though I don’t need to use that ~$100,000 worth of diagnostic tools, or that $4,000 gantry crane, to have one of my techs change your brake pad.  At the end of the day, it’s my shops overhead.  And you’re going to be paying for it when you take a vehicle there.  

That’s part of the hourly rate. All those things are not free. Even if they’re not in use, on that particular job, doesn’t mean it won’t be part of the bill overall.

(But you’re still wrong, a lot of newer, non sports cars, require a basic scan tool to reset the emergency brake, or retract the calipers.)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Automotive people don’t have the bandwidth to process multiple labor rates, but that’s where it needs to go.

You’re paying $225 an hour if the 19 year old kid who was washing cars last week works on your car or the 25 year veteran works on your car. Look at attorneys, CPAs, etc. You pay for who works on your stuff, not just the work being done.

I’ll set my own labor rate, $750 an hour

I’ll still probably only get $40 of that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:34:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: aod886] [#19]

(But you’re still wrong, a lot of newer, non sports cars, require a basic scan tool to reset the emergency brake, or retract the calipers.)
View Quote

I never said all vehicles do not require it.

I was asked what vehicle I've worked on that had rear electric brakes. To check me, if you will.

I responded with the only vehicle that I have with said brakes. With experience changing those brakes.

And you stated I don't understand how businesses work. I understand fully. And I'm all for shops charging whatever they feel they should. I'm not the customer that's going to pay for something I know how to do myself. I'll pay for stuff outside my skill set, like I stated before.

Did I make a snide comment on you losing $10k and your business knowledge?  Must be all the rain?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:44:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#20]

I was asked what vehicle I've worked on that had rear electric brakes. To check me, if you will.

I responded with the only vehicle that I have with said brakes. With experience changing those brakes.

And you stated I don't understand how businesses work.

Did I make a snide comment on you losing $10k and your business knowledge?  Must be all the rain?
View All Quotes

And you stated I don't understand how businesses work.

Losing 10k to someone who didn’t pay me is just a fact of my business. It was in reply for someone asking for a discount on fuel, which is also in itself a joke because there’s no room for that on fuel margin. You make Pennies on it.

At the end of the day, I bring that up because in the fuels / lubricants business, if people decide not to pay you, there’s very little recourse. Unlike the automotive world, you can’t put a mechanics lean on it.  And, in the case of fuels, by the time see you’re not going to get paid - the product is gone.  

Same case as this, the product is gone. Theyre not going to pay.  It is what it is. Part of the risk of my business and the overhead costs. I write it off, send them to collections and move on.

Getting fucked over in business is part of the deal. Just getting bit by an Arfcommer hurts more, I guess.

But if you did have an understanding, then you have a fairly poor reference of it. As you said, quote:

And there it is!

You don't need an expensive "scan tool" to change rear pads.

End quote.

My reply, was to that exact, quote. You never, in that specific quote, mentioned your vehicle.  

And my exact reply was, quote:
Depends on the vehicle. But sometimes you do.  Newer vehicles I know you do to retract the piston.

End quote.

Where it got snarky was this quote:
Sure.

However, I'm talking about your everyday/normal person vehicle. Not super expensive sport/race cars.

Wifes' 2019 Odyssey has those electronic parking brakes on the rear. They do not require special tools.

And I'd me pissed if some mechanic told me the high cost to replace pads were due to needing special tools for it.

I think that's the jest of this topic.

End quote.

So, you expect that, exact car, to have its own bill rate, with just the exact tools and parts, and its exact overhead built into it? Or, do you think it’s probably more reasonable to believe that all the specialty tools that the mechanic must have and use, will be built into the cost of all jobs? Whether he utilizes them or not?

Thus, my comments about not knowing how business works. And this, my post detailing my own, shop. A bit different as I said, because we are strictly private for our own fleet. Not a public shop.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:52:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Square66:
The $600 per axle brake job and $1k quote for a wheel-bearing job on a FWD car was enough to get me to break out the tools.  I don’t enjoy wrenching like I used to, but fuck those prices.
View Quote

I hear you. Everyone want's to get rich. That doesn't mean everyone is rich. I buy disposable cars anymore. The last one cost $7000 and pay cash. When the repairs start piling up I trash it and buy another. It used to be I'd fix it or take it to the shop. Those were the good old days. Now you need a reverse mortgage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:54:12 AM EDT
[#22]

And as a diy guy that is fine. Open a business and try to do ac work that way. Many places require a certified recovery machine by law to perform ac work.
View Quote

No, you have to have a recovery TANK, and that tank must be MARKED with the type of refrigerant it contains,  and the refrigerant cannot be mixed unless you want to pay to unmix it

The question IS  on the test. Ask me how I know

And it's a 608 certificate, not 609
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:54:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Charge me a honest hourly shop rate and I will be happy.  Charge me ten hours of flat rate after having my vehicle for 3 hours is bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:56:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Everyone is expected to work for free.
View Quote

This.  Doctors are expected to work for free.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:01:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#25]
Me: sorry, I don't work on other people's cars. Especially not something as important as a braking system

Neighbor: but they want $400, just the front. Not the front AND back. You know how to do a brake job. I saw you do your pickup last week and your wife's suv last fall. All 4 wheels

Me: sorry, I don't work on other people's cars and I don't have time

Neighbor: but we can do it this weekend,  or at night (after you already worked all day) Plus, I'll bring pizz-aah!

Me: sorry, I said no (loading, "Fuck off already!")

Please hold: calibrating sarcasm meter (spinning hourglass here)
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]
IME the richer they are the cheaper they are.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Quintin:
This will sound really shitty but it is what it is, the reason they charge to install an air filter after showing it to you is the carrot on the stick. Techs don't like working for free. Techs ain't gonna check or try to sell air filters if they ain't getting paid for it.

The flat rate pay system is not good imo and should be done away with, but it's what they/we/us have to work with.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Quintin:
Originally Posted By Liaztraht:
I don't hate on shops for charging 500 bucks for a break job. That's like half dealer rate around here

I hate on shops that pull your air filter to show it to you, and offer to replace it and charge a half hour of labor to do it.

It's a 2 minute job, and you already did half the work to show me a filter that's still good
This will sound really shitty but it is what it is, the reason they charge to install an air filter after showing it to you is the carrot on the stick. Techs don't like working for free. Techs ain't gonna check or try to sell air filters if they ain't getting paid for it.

The flat rate pay system is not good imo and should be done away with, but it's what they/we/us have to work with.
I don't blame them for wanting to make money, but 50 or more bucks plus filter cost is ridiculous for something people should be changing themselves.

The filter thing is a gamble they take. A couple minutes of pulling it and asking to change it is nothing. If the customer says yes, they get an easy payout. If not, it was hardly any time.

The way shops run encourage the easy upsell, which in turn makes customers think they're being shady. In reality, they are working within the system so they can make a living.  I don't blame the techs.

But also, many people never change their filter themselves, so they pay the stupid tax
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#28]
GD is a weird animal.   They won't sully themselves for a $70 full synthetic oil change even if the lube jockey will cost them a new engine but they'll throw on their coveralls for $500 in brakes that will outlast their oil change and cost more in parts. and potential liability if done wrong.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#29]

So, you expect that, exact car, to have its own bill rate, with just the exact tools and parts, and its exact overhead built into it? Or, do you think it’s probably more reasonable to believe that all the specialty tools that the mechanic must have and use, will be built into the cost of all jobs? Whether he utilizes them or not?

Thus, my comments about not knowing how business works. And this, my post detailing my own, shop. A bit different as I said, because we are strictly private for our own fleet. Not a public shop.
View Quote

I know theres a difference. And I know losing time/money is part of owning a business at times.

I own my own business. But that's neither here or there. Just know I know.

And more on topic...

Of course I'm not negotiating on that, my specific vehicle may or may not need certain tools to perform a repair, etc. I know all resources are included in billing, if you will.  I know that. If I decide to let the shop do the job, I accept the charge.

Like anyone, you get the quote, and you have to decide if that's acceptable to you. Based on many factors like knowledge of the subject, finances, time, etc.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:11:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chisum] [#30]

The labor rate in the business model you describe would be well over $200 per book hour. Every business you have ever dealt with marks up cogs. Almost everyone in this thread has no idea the cost to run a good shop. Real estate costs where you can run a shop are astronomical. Insurance costs are up. Good mechanics want to be paid like the professionals we are. Tool costs are through the roof. Every year new tech comes out that we are expected to learn and fix. Parts quality and availability had gotten ridiculous. Jobs have to be warrantied. Environmental regulations are added to every year. And I'm probably not mentioning half of what's required to run a good, profitable business.
View Quote

I think you are wrong, we do understand, we just can't write a blank check for every repair. Cars used to be made simpler. Now we need a computer engineer to assess the problem. I think we have forgotten what KISS is all about. I buy a car, not a Formula One racer. We have become so addicted to high-tech, we forgot how to KISS.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't blame them for wanting to make money, but 50 or more bucks plus filter cost is ridiculous for something people should be changing themselves.

The filter thing is a gamble they take. A couple minutes of pulling it and asking to change it is nothing. If the customer says yes, they get an easy payout. If not, it was hardly any time.

The way shops run encourage the easy upsell, which in turn makes customers think they're being shady. In reality, they are working within the system so they can make a living.  I don't blame the techs.

But also, many people never change their filter themselves, so they pay the stupid tax
View Quote

We just quoted an engine for a 2023 van with 18k miles. A major chain oil change place put the filter in wrong.

$36k. Bet they’re glad that oil change was $149 instead of the $249 we charge.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
There are a lot of jobs around the house and vehicles that suck to do, and I could afford to hire out, but I do anyway just because I don't want some fucking asshole to profit that much.  You want to make $200/hr or more for something that can be learned to do in minutes, not years, and the tools cost less than your quote?  

Lol GTFO with that shit.

There's a reason auto parts stores and hardware stores exist.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:
View Quote

It's almost like paying people too much to do shit you could have done yourself isn't a characteristic of rich people.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:20:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 69rrdriver] [#34]
Originally Posted By pale_pony:

No, you have to have a recovery TANK, and that tank must be MARKED with the type of refrigerant it contains,  and the refrigerant cannot be mixed unless you want to pay to unmix it

The question IS  on the test. Ask me how I know

And it's a 608 certificate, not 609
View Quote

I have both certificates. A 609 is the correct certificate to work on motor vehicle air conditioning. I didn't see any recovery machine in the picture, although maybe you have one off screen. Please review the attached picture from the epa website regarding automotive ac repair. Learn the law and proper repair procedures before being condescending. Either way there are more laws regarding auto repair than just epa 609. There are laws governing repair shops and in my ao if you don't have an approved recovery machine you aren't allowed to do ac work by law.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Staggunner:

You guys in the trades charge plenty.  I'm okay with that.  Us guys in Ag can't afford youse guys.  
If we sit in a dentist chair for 40 minutes it's $1200.  That's rape.
Ag gets no say in prices.  You do.  Don't like your situation?  Get a different job.  You don't have a few million invested.
View Quote

Working on and off on my Uncles Farm opened my eyes and taught me a lot. Farmers/Ranchers have to do things on their own. Things break down often and if they called in others to do the work they would never make a profit or go broke. My Uncle could do anything, mechanic work, construction, pesticide application, electrical, dirt work, plumbing, and  weld all on top of knowing how to grow things...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:23:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Chisum:

I think you are wrong, we do understand, we just can't write a blank check for every repair. Cars used to be made simpler. Now we need a computer engineer to assess the problem. I think we have forgotten what KISS is all about. I buy a car, not a Formula One racer. We have become so addicted to high-tech, we forgot how to KISS.
View Quote

And the added complexity is why I drive older cars myself. I have the tools and knowledge to repair new vehicles, but I don't want to be bothered for myself. 2000-2010 was imho peak automobile reliability in the us.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:24:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Staggunner:

You guys in the trades charge plenty.  I'm okay with that.  Us guys in Ag can't afford youse guys.  
If we sit in a dentist chair for 40 minutes it's $1200.  That's rape.
Ag gets no say in prices.  You do.  Don't like your situation?  Get a different job.  You don't have a few million invested.
View Quote

Working on and off on my Uncles Farm opened my eyes and taught me a lot. Farmers/Ranchers have to do things on their own. Things break down often and if they called in others to do the work they would never make a profit or go broke. My Uncle could do anything, mechanic work, construction, pesticide application, electrical, dirt work, plumbing, and  weld all on top of knowing how to grow things...
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:25:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

It's almost like paying people too much to do shit you could have done yourself isn't a characteristic of rich people.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Originally Posted By HangfiresGhost:

I still maintain my certification from bendix on air drum and air disk brakes. I still maintain a class A cdl with all the endorsements.

If I’m working on my semi trucks or driving them, then shit is in really bad shape.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I understand you need to make money in order for it to make sense to stay in business. In all of these type of threads I have replied to, I personally have never said you guys should not make money.

Im not saying this is you, but lets say I brought my car in and the guys decides he can do the repair for $500 and still turn a profit. But he feels me out and thinks he can get $800 out of me, so he basically squeezes me for a free $300. Is that ok?

Ive had several guys lie straight to my face about what was wrong or what they had to do to fix it. Another quoted me $350 plus tax. I was out of town when he called and said it was done, so my wife and son went to pick it up. The bill was now over $600. She had no clue and paid him. Is that ok/honest work?

The majority (not all) of the mechanics I have dealt with over my life will tKe advantage of EVERY person they can, then justify their thievery with bullshit excuses and cry that they don't make any money.

If it’s sooooooo bad, choose a different profession.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:30:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Mechanical_Magician:

There has been a trend the last few years of the labor guide times being manipulated down due to auto insurance basically owning the collision industry, which trickles down to the same labor guide independent shops use.

I look up jobs billed 6 years ago and now that same job pays .3 less. Plus those guidelines are also based on new cars and do not account for corrosion.

Every industry operates on profit margin. But everyone complains when the automotive repair industry attempts to make the same margin.

The "fix this car that is driven at 80mph as cheap as possible" bullshit does not fly in other repair industries, like plumbing, HVAC, electrical repair, or aircraft maintenance and repair. Makes no sense to me why people want us to repair things in a way that would put countless people at risk and get pissed when we refuse to do so.

Also parts cost has inflated 30 to 50 % in some cases from what they cost us just 3 years ago and labor costs have increased by at least 30% in the same timeframe.

Tools also have gone up tremendously. 13k for a fully functional scanner, I have 4 of them. 12k per lift, got 6 of those. 9k for that 1234yf ac machine. 85k for an alignment rack. The same set of sockets that cost $125 10 years ago now cost 3-400 dollars for one rail.

Taxes have increased, as have business license fees, utilities and insurance.

People come in and tell me YouTube says it takes 11 minutes and that's all it should cost, oh and you better fucking give me the part for that online price that's below my actual cost.

Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense.
View Quote

PREACH IT!! Louder for the idiots in the back!!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:30:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#41]
Originally Posted By 3BP:

I understand you need to make money in order for it to make sense to stay in business. In all of these type of threads I have replied to, I personally have never said you guys should not make money.

Im not saying this is you, but lets say I brought my car in and the guys decides he can do the repair for $500 and still turn a profit. But he feels me out and thinks he can get $800 out of me, so he basically squeezes me for a free $300. Is that ok?

Ive had several guys lie straight to my face about what was wrong or what they had to do to fix it. Another quoted me $350 plus tax. I was out of town when he called and said it was done, so my wife and son went to pick it up. The bill was now over $600. She had no clue and paid him. Is that ok/honest work?

The majority (not all) of the mechanics I have dealt with over my life will tKe advantage of EVERY person they can, then justify their thievery with bullshit excuses and cry that they don't make any money.

View All Quotes

Price is not directly related to cost.

Price is what the market will bear.

If you don’t like the price, shop it or do it yourself. This is basic economics and business.

I’m not sure I get the hate for capitalism on arfcom. Very strange that people who are supposedly freedom loving hate when other people make money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:30:34 PM EDT
[#42]
i'm still trying to figure out a method (besides trial and error) for how to find a trustworthy mechanic in a town where i know nobody.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:35:29 PM EDT
[#43]
The much bigger problem over pricing is the quality of work.

There are a LOT of shit mechanics out there. In all manners of shops. In just about every dealership and most independent shops.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Its not just mechanic's that are rapists but nearly every trade.  I had an hvac guy once try to charge me $18 for a pair of AA batteries for the thermostat. The original batteries were not even low. He just wanted to change them anyways as preventative maintenance. Fuck that.    And that was 20 odd years ago! He'd probably charge $40 for the batteries now.

They all rape us on the price of parts. That's why I do everything I can my self.   The only work I can't do is machine shop stuff. Other then that I do all my own work on my vehicles and homes.  

After the hurricane came through I had a roofer quote me $70000 to fix my roof. I told him to fuck off. I tarped my roof my self, waited for prices to come down and then went to home depot and got the stuff to fix it myself for about $500.  It was a hot sweaty bitch up there but I saved $65000 so oh well.

Fuck everyone who overcharges for goods and services.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I like my profession and make good money doing it. And I have no problem raging about or at bad mechanics. I don't do a lot of what people here are complaining about. The problem is in gd there is usually no middle ground. The simplest way for me to explain it is let's say I need to make 500 on a job. Does it really matter gore the money is split up. 200 from parts and 300 from labor, or all 500 from labor. The price of the job is the same to you. If you don't like the price of legitimately needed work you are free to check elsewhere. That's capitalism. I get very angry at people in my profession who try to sell unnessary work. There is a difference between the two situations though. And automotive repair isn't a commodity that can always be compared apples to apples. I only use premium or oem parts unless there is no other option. Others use the cheapest parts and can work cheaper. Or they skimp on the service,  ie not cleaning and lubing brake hardware. Others still use cheap parts and still charge more than me. It's almost like auto repair is a huge industry filled with a multitude of different people.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
Its not just mechanic's that are rapists but nearly every trade.  I had an hvac guy once try to charge me $18 for a pair of AA batteries for the thermostat. The original batteries were not even low. He just wanted to change them anyways as preventative maintenance. Fuck that.    And that was 20 odd years ago! He'd probably charge $40 for the batteries now.

They all rape us on the price of parts. That's why I do everything I can my self.   The only work I can't do is machine shop stuff. Other then that I do all my own work on my vehicles and homes.  

After the hurricane came through I had a roofer quote me $70000 to fix my roof. I told him to fuck off. I tarped my roof my self, waited for prices to come down and then went to home depot and got the stuff to fix it myself for about $500.  It was a hot sweaty bitch up there but I saved $65000 so oh well.

Fuck everyone who overcharges for goods and services.
View Quote

The hvac guy sounds like a dick. Otherwise in capitalism there's no such thing as overcharging. He tried to charge more than you would bear and so you found a more economical option. The system worked exactly as designed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#47]
lol, like this only happens to trades. Back when I was on the brokerage side of the firm and talking to clients on the phones it was always the dudes with 1-4 million in a discount/online account trying to get free advice. The moment I said I’d be happy to get them over to the Full Service line they quickly backed away.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:43:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By maslin02:

We just quoted an engine for a 2023 van with 18k miles. A major chain oil change place put the filter in wrong.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maslin02:

Thing is , paying the 149.00 for an oil change at a oil change shop, shouldn't have been a problem.  
    And because it was doesn't really justify the 249.00 for your shop as only reliable place.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a local mechanic who is honest.

Recent name brand shops, like Pep Boys, seem to over recommend.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't hate on shops for charging 500 bucks for a break job. That's like half dealer rate around here

I hate on shops that pull your air filter to show it to you, and offer to replace it and charge a half hour of labor to do it.

It's a 2 minute job, and you already did half the work to show me a filter that's still good
View Quote

This...

I replace every filter in every car in January of every year. I buy the filters in bulk off of Amazon.  
Page / 7
Top Top