Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:54:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd get rid of it.  Sell it and give the money to the family or donate the money.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a half dozen personal friends who killed themselves with a firearm. One of them I ended up with the firearm and ammo.

I wanted nothing to do with it, sold it and gave his wife the money.  It's just a tool, but it's also a constant reminder.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Sell/ or trade it for  cash….Donate the funds to a cause in memory of the family member?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pwcb2005:
I would carve a notch in it and name it after them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/336822/nikita-mansurov-tbrender-viewport_jpg-3207532.JPG
View Quote

13ers still perpetuating the stereotype
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#6]
When my brother in law shot himself my in-laws asked that the rifle be destroyed
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:58:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I kept it, carried it for a good while as well
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#8]
My father-in-law sat on his garage floor in March 1995, put a .30-06 against his chin, and pulled the trigger. I found his body. My [now ex] wife (his daughter) was with me, but behind me and I'd flipped-on the garage light switch and as soon as that instant graphic image was burned into my memory forever, I flipped the light off and kept my ex from seeing her dad without most of his head. He was a very good, loving man, but had several SERIOUS challenges that he was facing alone. It was an extremely challenging time for us, dealing with all of the aftermath. But I understand what he was dealing with and I'm not interested in demonizing him for his overwhelming urge to end the physical and emotional pain. Just stating the facts. His father had committed suicide when he was young. Children of suicide are at higher risk of following in their parents footsteps. That fact has played a role in my own survival, in regards to some serious challenges that I've faced at times. Despite 10 spinal surgeries and every waking moment in the resulting pain, I NEVER want to teach my five kids that it's okay to quit when facing adversity. Younger generations are highly influenced to take the easy way out of things. They don't need reasons to give up.

His brother ended-up keeping the rifle. And that's his perogative. Despite my love of firearms, if it had been offered to me, I wouldn't have wanted it. The gun didn't make the decision to end his life, he did. But I'll forever bear the scars of that experience as it is. I don't need to look at the actual tool that he used to cause it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:17:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I found out that within the last month I sold a gun to someone who promptly went home and made themselves a peanut butter and Glock sandwich.

Found out management was trying to keep this from me for fear that I’d…I dunno…have a breakdown or something.

Any guilt that I could conceivably feel over someone else’s actions, would detract from their responsibility and disrespect the decision that they made.

In your case, I’d take the gun, keep it and shoot it. If it caused me undue distress, I’d sell it. The gun is not responsible for that death, it’s an inanimate tool without agency, the person who shot themselves is responsible.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
I wouldn't want it
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:32:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TresOsos] [#11]
Originally Posted By lockinload:
The gun had nothing to do with it.  Sorry for your loss.
View Quote

Understand the sentiment but it would be like a car someone parked in closed garage and left it running to kill themselves.

I wouldn't want to keep the car either.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Pick it up, oil it, put it in the back of my safe.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I most definitely would not want it. Some of you people are very shitty human beings.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife's grandpa once showed me a revolver that he kept in a special drawer.  He pulled it out and told me his dad used it to kill himself.  Always thought he might use it on himself one day as he got up there in age and started getting a bit depressed, but thankfully he ended up dying peacefully in his sleep.

I agree that it's just a tool, but it's a tool a loved one used to commit suicide.  I wouldn't want it around me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:54:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Brassrainbows:
I most definitely would not want it. Some of you people are very shitty human beings.
View Quote

Wow, it's all matters of degree - and that makes me a "very shitty human being"? Nice.

Ok, so where does it end?  

"Johnny killed himself with this 1911, so I can't stand the sight of it - makes me sad because that's the exact gun he used."
"Johnny killed himself with a 1911, so I can't stand the sight of 1911s - they make me sad because that's the exact kind of gun he used."
"Johnny killed himself with a handgun, so I can't stand the sight of handguns - they make me sad because that's the exact kind of gun he used."
"Johnny killed himself with a gun, so I can't stand the sight of guns - they make me sad because that's the exact kind of tool he used."

So you're a "shitty human being" unless you swear off all guns after the suicide of a loved one I guess...
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:54:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Depending on the person, I might wait for the right time and go two for two
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By CPshooter1:  My wife's grandpa once showed me a revolver that he kept in a special drawer.  He pulled it out and told me his dad used it to kill himself.  Always thought he might use it on himself one day as he got up there in age and started getting a bit depressed, but thankfully he ended up dying peacefully in his sleep.

I agree that it's just a tool, but it's a tool a loved one used to commit suicide.  I wouldn't want it around me.
View Quote

I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, and not like his bus passengers.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I would probably take it back.  Depends what make and model it is.  

I have many old milsurps that more than likely have taken souls.  

I don't feel like a shitty person.  Maybe I am.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Got an Enfield tanker a relative used to end it quick after terrible illness, from the police once. It was in a ziploc bag, with a tag, a spent casing and some live rounds.

I was quite young. I sold it with the tag still on and told the buyer the story.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:03:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Brassrainbows:
View Quote

I think that some certainly seem a bit cold about it, but that fact alone doesn't make them "shitty human beings".
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:15:18 PM EDT
[#21]
If your "Very Close" family member was standing in front of you? And you asked them that same question? What would they say to you?

It's an inanimate object! Keep it in remembrance of how selfish suicide is.

Or sell it, and go have an amazing night out with a few friends who knew that person.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:18:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TXBBQGuy:
Originally Posted By pwcb2005:
I would carve a notch in it and name it after them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/336822/nikita-mansurov-tbrender-viewport_jpg-3207532.JPG

Still not as bad as 23-24ers they done stole the torch and set a new benchmark for retardation.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:19:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.

Originally Posted By NachoDip:
Reconcile to yourself the truth. that it was the person and not the gun.

A gun is a tool. Not anything else.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:23:56 PM EDT
[#24]
If a person runs a vehicle in their garage to off themselves from co2 poisoning, do they take the vehicle? The answer is no. The act is the crime, not the tool.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:25:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Been through that took a lot of doing to get it back but I’ve got it. If you need anything shout there’s lots of good folks here who would lend an ear.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:31:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Just like if someone used a knife or ran a car in the garage, I wouldn't want either of those. It wasn't the tool, but it would remind me of the suicide everything I saw it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:31:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought the handgun my friend used to commit suicide with from his widow.  She needed the cash and didn't want it, and it actually had some sentimental value to me.  We had some good times together, but drugs and alcohol destroyed him, his business, and his marriage.

I use it as my current carry gun.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:34:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#28]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:34:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Depends on the entire context of how the gun got in the family and what it is.  Most likely I wouldn't want it back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DKUltra:  If your "Very Close" family member was standing in front of you? And you asked them that same question? What would they say to you?

It's an inanimate object! Keep it in remembrance of how selfish suicide is.

Or sell it, and go have an amazing night out with a few friends who knew that person.
View Quote

Suicide transfers pain from someone who is no longer able to bear it to those who are hopefully better able to bear the burden.  I don't see that as selfish, I see that as tragic.  Belittling someone whose pain overrode their instinct for self-preservation is sophomoric.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:37:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: benbob] [#31]
My daughter's father in law committed suicide with a firearm.  I went with her husband to pick up the gun, I took it, cleaned it up, and sold it.

I gave my son in law the money.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:39:11 PM EDT
[#32]
I’d keep it but I sure as shit wouldn’t judge anyone who wouldn’t. That’s rough and sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#33]
i'd keep it.

it's just a firearm.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By JaredGrey:
I found out that within the last month I sold a gun to someone who promptly went home and made themselves a peanut butter and Glock sandwich.

Found out management was trying to keep this from me for fear that I’d…I dunno…have a breakdown or something.

Any guilt that I could conceivably feel over someone else’s actions, would detract from their responsibility and disrespect the decision that they made.

In your case, I’d take the gun, keep it and shoot it. If it caused me undue distress, I’d sell it. The gun is not responsible for that death, it’s an inanimate tool without agency, the person who shot themselves is responsible.
View Quote

This happened to a friend. His bosses brother had been after him to buy his .357. My friend finally sold it to him and that night he got drunk and killed himself. No indication this would have happened. My friend felt terrible and also concerned for his job but nobody blamed him.

My FIL has the Glock 17 my BIL killed himself with. The PD didn’t want to give it back as they said it was ruined during finger printing. FIL insisted it be returned. He had it cleaned and it’s fine. I’ll get it when my FIL passes. I’ll keep it but it will never be a firearm I think I’ll enjoy shooting. I understand it’s a tool but there are just bad memories attached to it for me.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:44:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:52:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#37]
Thanks medicmandan.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#38]
My wife's uncle killed himself by running a circular saw across his neck. Nobody regardless of political affiliation would consider it anything but a tool, but I can't imagine anyone would want to use it again.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:07:43 AM EDT
[#39]
I know lots of people, but not many people are "very close".

I would not keep it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:18:15 AM EDT
[#40]
A guy I reenact with has an 1860 colt replica that his friend killed himself with. Carries it as part of his kit. Its just a mechanical device that did what its owner made it do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#41]
I have others, I could do without that one personally.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:22:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
Take it back and sell it?
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:26:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PabloMcGlock] [#43]
Meh. A little CLP and stow it in the safe with all the other inanimate objects. You gonna get rid of the car, tree, gas can if that’s the method they used?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:30:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
My wife's uncle killed himself by running a circular saw across his neck. Nobody regardless of political affiliation would consider it anything but a tool, but I can't imagine anyone would want to use it again.
View Quote

Got damn. That is one ballsy and creative way to go out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:32:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By PabloMcGlock:
Meh. A little CLP and stow it in the safe with all the other inanimate objects. You gonna get rid of the car, tree, gas can if that's the method they used?
View Quote

Yeah.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:55:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Most of the guns I've seen used in suicides are shitty guns, and not worth keeping.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:14:47 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ranging-by-zipcode:
Family member I would give the gun away to anyone that wants it.

I wouldn't want it
View Quote

This. Take it give it away to someone or sell it with disclosure.
Take it and destroy it
Set it free in the ocean

There nothing magical about a gun, but I would not want the flood of memories and sorrow when I saw it.

One time a pawn store went out of business and owed my friend money. He was an employee.

They gave him a bunch of guns. He got some decent stuff, Glock, Remington 870, and a very cool Henry's 22 golden boy.

He said I could come buy anything I wanted. I bought a savage 243, couple of 22/45s and a cool buck mark..

One of the guns was a little. 38 revolver with rust on the front of the barrel, front of cylinder, and two teeth marks on the barrel right into the front sight

I didn't buy that one, despite the price of 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:14:52 AM EDT
[#48]
There's no wrong choice OP. Go with what seems right to you.

It's fine if you want to keep it. It's fine if you don't want to keep it.

It doesn't really matter what anyone else would do.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#49]
I don't have any advice.  Sorry for your loss and I hope you find some peace even though it's impossible to fully understand the why.

Someone here said it best.  "Suicide is like tossing a grenade into a room of your closest friends and loved ones.".

Please take care of yourself and get help if you need it.   I know for a fact that I would need help.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:36:02 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By HK-GUY45:
I wouldn’t want it.
View Quote

Me either
Bury it in the woods
Page / 3
Top Top