Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:50:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: highstepper] [#1]
N/M
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 1:53:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Your1Savior] [#2]
Originally Posted By leadnbrass:
A year later the PD calls and wants to return the firearm.

What do you do with it.

Very close family member.
View Quote

I still have mine..  still sitting in the evidence box the way it was logged in

Can't bring myself to sell it, can't bring myself to even pick it up

Edit:  to me, it was the last thing she touched and as shitty as it is, it is just that
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:13:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#3]
Meh, it's an inanimate object, i don't think it'd bother me much (I don't thnk about my surplus guns or the .38 with some discoloration that makes me think it may have been a suicide gun) but you gotta do what you think is right for you.  Only you can make that decision.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:17:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't want it as it would always cross my mind when I seen or shot it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:41:12 AM EDT
[#5]

What do you do with it.

View Quote

If you don't want to keep it, than don't keep it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steel_buckeye:
Speaking from personal experience, I told them to keep it. No interest in a gun with exactly one round fired through it that took a loved one's life.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#7]
We had a suicide once where the guy used the same gun that his father had killed himself with.  Talk about fucked up…

Best move is to sell it off, don’t need it around.  Not because of the death it inflicted, but because of who it was.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:32:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Id probably disassemble it and throw it in a creek.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:33:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Keep it and call zach bagans.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Probably sell it. Might keep it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:44:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I wouldnt want it.    I would ask a few friends if they wanted it.

I was asked to take a box of .380 once, that had 49 rounds in it.   It was given to him by the family.   I was ok with it as I did not know the deceased.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:50:19 AM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn’t want it.  Sure it’s just an object, but now has a dark history.

Not just guns.  Felt the same way about an angle grinder who’s wheel shattered and killed somebody.  Grinder ended up at the wheel mfg’er to use as a prop in their lectures on grinding wheel safety.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:53:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mojo_Jojo] [#13]
Do these concerns stop you from buying used "weapons" from anonymous people?  Or anything for that matter. What about a house that someone died in?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:54:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I still have and shoot the gun my grandad committed suicide with-I see it as a tool.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:20:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I would send it to benchmade
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:21:47 AM EDT
[#16]
This happened to me a year ago. The magazine was missing one round of 9mm that we had casted and loaded together years ago. Guns can’t have acute mental illness but people can.

I picked it up 6 months later at the police station.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Sigh, we let the cops keep it back in 2009 when my stepbrother let a bad week lead to a terrible decision.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#18]
That happened.

He used a pair of handcuffs to handcuff the Glock to his hand before killing himself in a public place.

The police offered the gun to the widow and she offered it to me. Nope.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:57:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#19]
I'd probably get rid of it

Not because it's a gun but because it would be a tragic reminder.

As an example, I wouldn't keep a vehicle if a family member killed themselves with carbon monoxide either for the same reasons.

On a side note, my mother in law owned a cleaning business and they would do crime scene cleanup. They actually bought a couple cars that people had killed themselves in for cheap because the families didn't want them anymore. They had a daily driver for a couple years that some guy had blown his brains out in.

They replaced the headliner and seat covers, cleaned it up so well that you would have never known unless they told you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:58:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Sell it off and pocket the proceeds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:58:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Sell it and go do something with the money your loved one would have enjoyed in their memory.  I wouldn't want to keep it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Media_Noche:
Take it back and sell it?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:02:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Wouldn't really want it.

Now, if he had asphyxiated himself in the garage with his Shelby Cobra, we could talk.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:03:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#24]
Originally Posted By Mojo_Jojo:
Do these concerns stop you from buying used "weapons" from anonymous people?  Or anything for that matter. What about a house that someone died in?
View Quote

He specified family member. Presumably someone you care about. The idea being every time you see it you are reminded of their suicide.

Makes sense that people wouldn't want to keep it. Way different than some random stranger.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:05:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:
Wouldn't really want it.

Now, if he had asphyxiated himself in the garage with his Shelby Cobra, we could talk.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:10:49 AM EDT
[#26]
I have been there. Told the Cops to keep the Firearms.  Why would I want to relive
the thought of my uncles doing that
every time I looked at the firearm...
Was not even a bit of remorse telling them to keep the guns.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#27]
I sold a Taurus .40 to a co-worker. Another co-worker, who was later found to have embezzled about $80K to fund a gambling addiction, borrowed the .40 to "try it out" and used it to off himself in his garage. Co-worker #1 badgered the cops and eventually got the .40 back. Not sure what he did with it. Gave me the creeps every time I saw one on a table at a gun show. I would have got it back and sold it.

Co-worker #1 and I felt badly about the situation but agreed that it was out of our control.

Senseless but I'm sure that incident was another black mark on my "permanent record" at work. Guilt by association, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

Edit:  to me, it was the last thing she touched and as shitty as it is, it is just that
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Your1Savior:

What do you do with it.

Sorry for your loss. I hope you have found peace. May God by with you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Its just a tool & I dont blame those saying keep it. As for myself, I think id have an emotional attachment to that gun & not a favorable one, it would get sold / traded.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:18:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sputnik556] [#30]
I’d take and treat just like any other gun I own, but I can understand someone choosing not to do so.

I collect milsurps, so some of my guns have undoubtedly seen death. Obviously that’s not quite the same thing, but regardless it wouldn’t bother me.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:18:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By tac556:
We had a suicide once where the guy used the same gun that his father had killed himself with.  Talk about fucked up…

Best move is to sell it off, don’t need it around.  Not because of the death it inflicted, but because of who it was.
View Quote

Probably not suicide but a woman I knew fell of a pier and drowned. Exactly the same way her dad died years earlier. WTF?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:21:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JimEb:
I wouldn’t want it.  Sure it’s just an object, but now has a dark history.

Not just guns.  Felt the same way about an angle grinder who’s wheel shattered and killed somebody.  Grinder ended up at the wheel mfg’er to use as a prop in their lectures on grinding wheel safety.
View Quote

IIRC, there have been threads about guys that collect murder/suicide guns just for that reason. Look at what Jack Ruby's gun sold for.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, this just happened to me 3 weeks ago. The firearm was a single shot .410 from the late 1800's. His wife and the State Police asked if I wanted it, I told them to destroy it. Yes, it's a tool. It did the job that it's owner asked of it, and I consider it's useful days over.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:02:00 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd sell it. Not worth it IMO. Too much bad juju...
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#35]
My nephew killed himself with a 22 long rifle marlin (IIRC).  The cops did not even seize the gun.   We buried it with him
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Some people will be bothered by it, others not.

I'd accept it. It would be a reminder. Sad and tragic, but at the same time, you'll think of the good times, too (hopefully).

My sister helped her good friend a couple years ago with her ex's collection. The actual gun, I'm not sure what happened to it. It was quite a somber experience for them.

On the logic front - people still buy vehicles and homes where bad things happened. You can still stay in the room Whitney Houston killed herself in.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:01:38 PM EDT
[#37]
I had this exact same dilemma that I personally went through about 2 years ago. I sold it.

Not exactly a fun fact: You will get it back exactly how it was acquired at the scene. No cleanup will have been done to the firearm, So be prepared for that
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#38]
If it was someone I loved, cared about, I wouldn't want it back. Now, if it was someone that I didn't like, shit, I'd take it hoping their fucking soul was trapped in it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#39]
My (birth) father committed suicide by shotgun,
which I didn't learn until I was an adult.

I don't know if the PA locality offered the gun back.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Custom 1911 or Glock. These details matter.

If striker fired probably give it away. If something nice either keep it or sell it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#41]
It will most likely be ruined from my experience due to fingerprint dusting and lack of basic care. It was just evidence to the popo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#42]
I'd probably plasma cut it into it into itty bitty pieces.  

All I can do is wish you well in however you heal.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Let's see:

Family member #1 - (1st cousin) used a Ruger 22 pistol. I kept it for 40 years until thieves broke my safe

Family member #2 - (my brother) used a 32 Taurus. Wife gave it to the cops

Family member #3 - (1st cousin) unknown weapon or disposition

Family member #4 - (brother's wife) offed herself with prescription med overdose. She hated guns.

My experience is that guns make it a little easier, but like my SNL, when they are ready to go they do it with whatever is at hand.

The hose in the window car thing can be nasty if the victim is in a hot car for a couple of weeks before being found. You wouldn't want that vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:26:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#44]
Originally Posted By radioshooter:
Let's see:
Family member #1 - (1st cousin) used a Ruger 22 pistol. I kept it for 40 years until thieves broke my safe
Family member #2 - (my brother) used a 32 Taurus. Wife gave it to the cops
Family member #3 - (1st cousin) unknown weapon or disposition
Family member #4 - (brother's wife) offed herself with prescription med overdose. She hated guns.
My experience is that guns make it a little easier, but like my SNL, when they are ready to go they do it with whatever is at hand.

The hose in the window car thing can be nasty if the victim is in a hot car for a couple of weeks before being found. You wouldn't want that vehicle.
View Quote
Good Lord dude, that's a lot to carry around. Lost a friend to suicide 25 years ago, and it still gets to  me.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top