Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:15:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:
There's hardly any difference between 10 and 11 under the hood except for a few security things.

You can make 11 look like 10 with a few taskbar adjustments.

Windows 10 goes end of life Oct of 2025.
You can still upgrade to Windows 11 from 10 for free.
View Quote

This is exactly it. People bitching about 11 have no damn clue wtf they are talking about as they are almost identical. People need to learn how to use their os.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I have windows 11 and don't have any problems with it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Fallen:

That was added over a year after the release date and still doesn't fix all of the taskbar problems.

What is with you and this thread?  Everything you post is a combination of not understanding the question and blaming the user.  Do you work for Microsoft or something?  Because that's what I would expect from a Microsoft employee.
View Quote

Shit at this point I could believe this was posted on a Microsoft forum for as much help as most of it is.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Shit at this point I could believe this was posted on a Microsoft forum for as much help as most of it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grunteled:
Originally Posted By Fallen:

That was added over a year after the release date and still doesn't fix all of the taskbar problems.

What is with you and this thread?  Everything you post is a combination of not understanding the question and blaming the user.  Do you work for Microsoft or something?  Because that's what I would expect from a Microsoft employee.

I'm pretty comfortable with IT, but I'll let you both in on a little secret.  87% of the problems that come up in threads like these have nothing to do with the OS.  The problem is the mindset of the user.  It is unspeakably rare for UI/UX changes to truly be nonsensical.  99% of the time the function you want exists unless you are intent on being a picky bottle-baby about the start button placement or some other graphical representation that has precisely zero impact on productivity for anyone with an above room temp IQ.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BombCrater:
I went from Windows 7 to Windows 11.  I used a few machines with Windows 8 and they were HORRIBLE!  I bet $50 that a lot of Indians were involved in that GUI - what a mess!

I don't find W11 that objectionable, not enough knowledge to compare to 10.
View Quote

I still use Win 7.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dmnoid77:

I'm pretty comfortable with IT, but I'll let you both in on a little secret.  87% of the problems that come up in threads like these have nothing to do with the OS.  The problem is the mindset of the user.  It is unspeakably rare for UI/UX changes to truly be nonsensical.  99% of the time the function you want exists unless you are intent on being a picky bottle-baby about the start button placement or some other graphical representation that has precisely zero impact on productivity for anyone with an above room temp IQ.
View Quote

Even in Windows 11 you can move the start button from center to the left of the taskbar.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:

Even in Windows 11 you can move the start button from center to the left of the taskbar.
View All Quotes

I might be mistaken on this one too, but I don't believe that was the case early on.  Either way, the point was that it doesn't affect a thing but the aesthetics, and people went apoplectic over the change.  As an OS, Windows has been improving steadily since 8.1.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:42:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tarheel7734] [#8]

I might be mistaken on this one too, but I don't believe that was the case early on.  Either way, the point was that it doesn't affect a thing but the aesthetics, and people went apoplectic over the change.  As an OS, Windows has been improving steadily since 8.1.
View Quote

It has been an option since the alpha  betas builds and day1 release. I have been a beta tester for Microsoft and Microsoft insider since xp.and
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By gitarmac:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, I have windows 11 and don't have any problems with it.
View Quote

You need to spend some time in the MSWWA, Microsoft Windows Whiners Anonymous meetings. We probably should have a forum dedicated to them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By WhatsGnu:

I still use Win 7.
View All Quotes
I went from Windows 7 to Windows 11.  I used a few machines with Windows 8 and they were HORRIBLE!  I bet $50 that a lot of Indians were involved in that GUI - what a mess!

I still use Win 7.

You might as well post a sign saying hack me on your computer and email.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
I have two computers with Windows 11 and one with Windows 10 (not upgradable).
I far and away prefer Windows 11 and I wish I could upgrade my other computer.

View Quote
Unless its really, really ancient, you probably can upgrade it.  I just clean installed Win11 on an computer that doesn't support it, but it works fine.  

You can also edit the registry to allow inplace upgrades , I didn't, purely because this way I could put the Win10 SSD back in if I wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UncleGAK] [#12]
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#13]

It has been an option since the alpha  betas builds and day1 release. I have been a beta tester for Microsoft and Microsoft insider since xp.and
View All Quotes

I've done insider builds for 10 and 11 but I couldn't recall one way or the other since it was a non-issue.  The fact that it was apparently always an option makes it even less worthy of the garment-rending that went on.  That tends to be true of most of the common complaints.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#14]

I've done insider builds for 10 and 11 but I couldn't recall one way or the other since it was a non-issue.  The fact that it was apparently always an option makes it even less worthy of the garment-rending that went on.  That tends to be true of most of the common complaints.
View Quote

Most people just didn't bother to learn how to customize the taskbar.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Aren't they going to stop supporting W10?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#16]
I upgraded from Windows Vista to MacOS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:11:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Most people just didn't bother to learn how to customize the taskbar.
View Quote

Or think about hovering over a taskbar icon, or consider that alt-tab still works, or a half-dozen other methods of skinning a particular cat.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:19:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:

It is.
View Quote

All of my PCs say:

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#19]
We should have never upgraded from DOS 3.1
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:22:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By 0100010:

All of my PCs say:

https://i.postimg.cc/7LG1VRSp/windows11cansuckit.png
View Quote
Quit being a tightwad and go buy a new one.... something worthy of arfcom.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:32:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
View Quote

I looked at the requirements to run Win11.

I think you need to have an 7-year-old or older computer to not be able to run it.

Besides email and Word, I'm not sure what a computer that old is good for.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:33:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: whollyshite] [#22]
Windows 11 is fine.  Not that big of a change. It is a change, but not horrible.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:40:03 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
View Quote

Ha.  All 5 PCs at home are less than 2 year old new builds.  8+ cores, 16GB RAM, NVME.  I could change settings to make them win11 compatible; but why would I want to do that?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:50:15 PM EDT
[#25]
It is unspeakably rare for UI/UX changes to truly be nonsensical.  99% of the time the function you want exists unless you are intent on being a picky bottle-baby about the start button placement or some other graphical representation that has precisely zero impact on productivity for anyone with an above room temp IQ.
View Quote

I’ll let you in on a little secret - the position of icons and menus as well as the order and arrangement of them is exactly what constitutes the “User Interface” - you know that inconsequential thing you call people “bottle baby” for caring about…

Current versions of Win11 can easily be pretty close to Win10 UI with the lack of recent files in start menu icons being my main personal gripe. They brought recent file access back to Taskbar icons but not the start menu 😢
(I.e. in Win10 right click the Word icon in the start menu and see the last few files you accessed - no can do in Win11. In both (now) this works on taskbar icons.)
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#26]
No difference and I use it all day.

W 10 turns into a pumpkin in Oct 2025, so much of the herd will be driven to 11.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:54:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Bat15:

View All Quotes

I still use Win 7.

That's more doom and gloom than reality. As long as he has an updated hardware firewall, decent av, and browser plugins. He's more than likely fine, and has some idea of what things are sketchy vs not. Basic browsing, using word, and email - it's good enough. Heck XP is probably almost good enough iirc, there was a 64 bit version later on.

But for most people/average user they should probably update to Windows 10 for somewhat continued support
for ~3-5 ish years once it's no longer officially supported.

Honestly download Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit. It's good enough for a daily driver and no real learning curve unless you like gaming. There's also MX Linux, which has gained popularity.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
I upgraded from Windows Vista to MacOS.
View Quote

Unfortunately that would require a bank account upgrade.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:57:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Gen 5 intel chip.  It runs the games I play.  I have an AMD A10 which does my TV streaming.  There is no reason for me to buy new systems.  

I cant find TPMs for my motherboards. If Win10 reaches EOL, then I guess I try linux.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 6:57:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BullpupFan:

I’ll let you in on a little secret - the position of icons and menus as well as the order and arrangement of them is exactly what constitutes the “User Interface” - you know that inconsequential thing you call people “bottle baby” for caring about…

Current versions of Win11 can easily be pretty close to Win10 UI with the lack of recent files in start menu icons being my main personal gripe. They brought recent file access back to Taskbar icons but not the start menu 😢
(I.e. in Win10 right click the Word icon in the start menu and see the last few files you accessed - no can do in Win11. In both (now) this works on taskbar icons.)
View All Quotes
It is unspeakably rare for UI/UX changes to truly be nonsensical.  99% of the time the function you want exists unless you are intent on being a picky bottle-baby about the start button placement or some other graphical representation that has precisely zero impact on productivity for anyone with an above room temp IQ.

For fucks sake.  If you open the start menu in 11 and type Word it will literally show you the last 10 documents you worked on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:00:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bat15] [#31]
Originally Posted By JackalnHyde:

That's more doom and gloom than reality. As long as he has an updated hardware firewall, decent av, and browser plugins. He's more than likely fine, and has some idea of what things are sketchy vs not. Basic browsing, using word, and email - it's good enough. Heck XP is probably almost good enough iirc, there was a 64 bit version later on.

But for most people/average user they should probably update to Windows 10 for somewhat continued support

Honestly download Linux Mint Cinnamon 64 bit. It's good enough for a daily driver and no real learning curve unless you like gaming. There's also MX Linux, which has gained popularity.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JackalnHyde:

I still use Win 7.

What are the odds he has anything current?

I was in IT for over 30 years. The last thing I want to deal with is a lot of unsupported hardware and software. At this point, a computer is a tool not a hobby.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#32]
when I experienced W11, that pushed me to MAC.
ive been windows since 98-xp-vista-7-10

not making it into a this VS that thread, just saying, I hated W11 as much as I hate 10. XP was best.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#33]

For fucks sake.  If you open the start menu in 11 and type Word it will literally show you the last 10 documents you worked on.
View All Quotes

I'll let you in on a little secret - the position of icons and menus as well as the order and arrangement of them is exactly what constitutes the "User Interface" - you know that inconsequential thing you call people "bottle baby" for caring about

Current versions of Win11 can easily be pretty close to Win10 UI with the lack of recent files in start menu icons being my main personal gripe. They brought recent file access back to Taskbar icons but not the start menu

It might be different in other versions of W11 but I run M365 for email and signed into my PC with that account.

Either search or start show the last opened documents just by clicking on them. Don't even have to type Word.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By EastRiverSD:
I just want my Windows XP back
View Quote

Seriously. I'm still good with Windows 7.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I actually like Windows 11 more than 10, but I’m using it in an enterprise environment.  It feels more like MacOS with the GUI changes that were made.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

It might be different in other versions of W11 but I run M365 for email and signed into my PC with that account.

Either search or start show the last opened documents just by clicking on them. Don't even have to type Word.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

I'll let you in on a little secret - the position of icons and menus as well as the order and arrangement of them is exactly what constitutes the "User Interface" - you know that inconsequential thing you call people "bottle baby" for caring about

Current versions of Win11 can easily be pretty close to Win10 UI with the lack of recent files in start menu icons being my main personal gripe. They brought recent file access back to Taskbar icons but not the start menu

Start will show most recent files regardless of type.  Mine are .png's from the screenshots.  Prompting it with Word will show the most recent Word docs.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Gordo556:
when I experienced W11, that pushed me to MAC.
ive been windows since 98-xp-vista-7-10

not making it into a this VS that thread, just saying, I hated W11 as much as I hate 10. XP was best.
View Quote

Win10 to win11 is the least change from a MS OS to another and that pushed you into a completely different platform/OS you had no prior experience with?

I don't think that was your reason for changing.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:08:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Start will show most recent files regardless of type.  Mine are .png's from the screenshots.  Prompting it with Word will show the most recent Word docs.
View Quote

That's what it does on my Win11 Pro and I have M365, too
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:09:50 PM EDT
[#39]

View All Quotes

Wow, what an improvement to the user interface! Instead of clicking once on the start menu and once on the word icon, I can click once on the start menu then type some characters and then click again. You’re so right, I’ve been a bottle baby to complain about this great improvement in my user experience!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:11:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#40]

Wow, what an improvement to the user interface! Instead of clicking once on the start menu and once on the word icon, I can click once on the start menu then type some characters and then click again. You’re so right, I’ve been a bottle baby to complain about this great improvement in my user experience!
View Quote

If you don't like that, you can drag the Word icon to your taskbar and skip clicking on the Start menu. You could also right click and pin it to the taskbar.

Although, in my Win11, Word is in the start menu, so no typing needed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Win10 to win11 is the least change from a MS OS to another and that pushed you into a completely different platform/OS you had no prior experience with?

View Quote

...k. your right. you know why I switched platforms. got it.

thanks
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:25:32 PM EDT
[#42]
If one wanted to revert back to 10, from 11, how would you go about that?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TimeIsMoney:
View Quote

Pure Info Tech website detailing the instructions to do so.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#44]

View All Quotes

Yes, it actually is an improvement, and you are being a bottle baby.  Now you have the same (or more) information presented to you without having to touch a mouse at all.  If you are a frequent Word user then it is literally two keystrokes.  If you follow the other suggestion and pin Word to the taskbar then it is literally one click of the right mouse button.  You are upset because it is different, not because it is more difficult or less functional.  You could even launch Word and pick your recent document from the list directly in your face if you were so inclined.  All more efficient than the method you described.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:32:16 PM EDT
[#45]

thanks
View All Quotes

thanks

You wanted to move to a better but more expensive hardware platform for some time and were willing to learn a different OS to do so and you finally did.

Nothing wrong with that, Mac laptops are top tier if you want the best laptop out there for power and battery life since the M chips came out.

But just be honest about it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:35:41 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Pure Info Tech website detailing the instructions to do so.
Thanks. It's been more than 10 days and I'm not loading all my programs back on, that sucks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Ads can be turned off.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:38:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancat] [#48]
I loaded up W11 just so that I would be familiar with it even though day to day at work I only have to support W10 LTSC, and ran LTSC at home as well.

I ended up liking W11 more than W10. The UI feels like Microsoft finally did a decent job of unifying the settings panels, the separation between classic Win32 and newer applications isn't as apparent, and the OS itself does feel quicker and more responsive than W10 - Microsoft claims to have overhauled the memory management and scheduler in the NT kernel in W11.

The only major tweaking I did to W11 was use some of the well known methods to disable analytics/telemetry, and disabled some services I was never going to use.

I even eventually updated my old Inspiron i3 to W11 and despite being "unsupported" (no TPM 2.0) it runs great and also feels more responsive than W10 there. W11's handling of the touch screen when the laptop is folded is also less clunky than W10.

The funny thing... When I'm using W11 the UI feels more similar to KDE on Linux than it does to Windows itself. I dual boot my main desktop and laptop with Kubuntu and sometimes I forget which I'm using at first glance. My wife has accidentally logged into Linux (same users on both, main browser is Brave on both) and not even noticed it until she went to try and use Word and it wasn't there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks. It's been more than 10 days and I'm not loading all my programs back on, that sucks.
View Quote

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#50]
There is a big reason why. There are a lot of old Intel computer out there that can upgrade to Windows 10 for security reasons. A lot of people are discovering the fact their ancient computers running mega bucks industrial equipment on tons of old Windows system are vulnerable to hacking in today's climate and require the latest versions of vendor software. Upgrade now to make it all work to Windows 10 and latest vendor software. Windows 11 does not support that hardware so Windows 10 is the best people can do who support machinery and tools that run from Windows operating systems, all years past and present.

All hail the new Windows 10 Master Race of old supported hardware.

Now do iOS
Page / 8
Top Top